PDA

View Full Version : Which would you recomend?

Westtexasrancher
06-22-2013, 07:36 PM
If there were unlimited funds available, what pistol would you recomend that fits these criteria:

9mm
4-4.5" barrel
Double stack
Reliable
Sao or striker fired

<Only handgun the person would own so will be carried and shot a lot >

Plastic or steel frame doesn't matter, neither does weight!

400 or 4,000 dollars doesn't matter. Anything from glock to cylinder and slide BHP. Parts that break or wear out need to be available. Slightly less common is perfectly fine if gunsmiths still work on them and parts still available.

CougarRed
06-22-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure about Sig's recent quality, but the P226-9mm is legendary for its reliability. It's offered in SAO.

Sig P226 Elite SAO
4.4" barrel
15 round mag

Gen 3 Glock 17s (4.5") and 19s (4") are legendary striker-fired 9mms in terms reliability.

I've heard good things in terms of reliability about the Smith & Wesson M&P series. The regular 9mm size has a 4.25" barrel.

If you are really looking for single-action, one thing you might look at is the STI 2011 series. It's a 1911 pattern but double-stacked. I have heard nothing about their reliability.

Timbonez
06-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Based on those criteria... M&P, Glock, PPQ, FNS

ST911
06-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Based on those criteria... M&P, Glock, PPQ, FNS

Interested in your feedback on the FNS.

gringop
06-22-2013, 08:38 PM
3rd Gen G-17 or new M&P 9mm fullsize. Both have a metric boatload of aftermarket support and great factory support. Glock has somewhat less expensive parts and mags. Triggers can be improved on both and still be stone reliable. Glock factory sights are trash so factor new ones into the price, M&P sights are not great but not stupid useless like the Glock's. M&P have the 3 different grip sizes thing so may be more flexible for different shooters.

Both are used widely in competition and on LEO belts. Both have been out for many years, stress tested and the original problems have been corrected.

$400-4000, I would not buy anything other than these. I don't really care about bling, a Les Baer may be able to shoot better groups than these but not so much that I would notice.

My 2 cents,
Gringop

Corse
06-22-2013, 08:42 PM
P30 v3 carried cocked and locked ala browning Hi Power.

DanH
06-22-2013, 11:53 PM
M&P, Glock, FNS, Walther PPQ are all going to get votes but I would add HK P30 LEM because to me, a LEM is close enough to striker fired to count (much like horseshoes and hand grenades)
I know a lot of people don't care for the XD, but I would rate it only slightly behind the above.
And personally, a Sig (especially with SRT) is good enough to make someone consider DA/SA, but I'm not fond of the DAK.

All of these are good guns regardless of price. While a 1911 or HiPower (especially with an unlimited budget) can make an excellent gun, you can do just as well with one of the above for much less money. I'd rather put the money through the gun as ammo than on it initially.

GJM
06-23-2013, 12:09 AM
If you highly value the ability to maintain the pistol, the Glock is so easy to work on, even I can. Nothing else comes close in terms of ease of maintenance and availability of OEM and after market parts. A Gen 4 Glock 17, made in 2013, fits your other criteria.

orionz06
06-23-2013, 12:15 AM
If you highly value the ability to maintain the pistol, the Glock is so easy to work on, even I can. Nothing else comes close in terms of ease of maintenance and availability of OEM and after market parts. A Gen 4 Glock 17, made in 2013, fits your other criteria.

+1

Savage Hands
06-23-2013, 12:45 AM

Or Gen 4 G19 since it will be carried.

Matt O
06-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Or Gen 4 G19 since it will be carried.

The G17 can be carried strong side almost as easily as the G19 with the right holster and wardrobe choices. Carrying AIWB makes the difference between the two basically a moot point.

BLR
06-23-2013, 07:37 AM
MkIII P35, with beavertail, built by Chuck Warner using his new ignition parts, extractor and fps.

For 4k, you might even be able to get a matched set.

JonInWA
06-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Glock is my choice, but I'd also suggest that the original poster take a hard look at HK and M&P options, and make the choice based on his preferences/ergos.

Best, Jon

JBP55
06-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Glock is my choice, but Id also suggest that the original poster take a hard look at HK and M&P options, and make the choice based on his preferences/ergos.

Best, Jon

What he said.

ST911
06-23-2013, 08:26 AM
G17 and G19 are ubiquitous, as are their parts, maintainers, and other support resources. Others may or may not be. They are entirely field maintainable by a reasonably knowledgeable end user. They also have the longest established track record of any of the options listed.

walkin' trails
06-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Glock or M&P. Both are good pistols. Go play with samples and see which one you can live with.

Al T.
06-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Glock, H&K or M&P. But!

Buy three. Primary, secondary and a third stored off premises (safe deposit box, buddy's place - had a fire, made me paranoid).

Savage Hands
06-23-2013, 09:06 AM
The G17 can be carried strong side almost as easily as the G19 with the right holster and wardrobe choices. Carrying AIWB makes the difference between the two basically a moot point.

I know the difference is small since I carry both, but we're talking about a person with a sole handgun that probably won't practice or train a whole lot and is not a great candidate for AIWB.

Westtexasrancher
06-23-2013, 10:27 AM
I carry a RMR gen 4 g19, I'm asking for a buddy who will drop however many thousand on a handgun he feels like. He's leaning towards a custom hi power, p30 c&l, or a Sao sig. He has a new nighthawk .45 an doesn't want another 1911 tho. What size sig would be better for carry? Glock 19 sized or so. Not too small and not a huge one.

Thanks for all the info. I tried to talk him into a RMR 19 but not a real big Glock fan because of the "trigger".

JAD
06-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Based on what I know of people who I think are like your buddy, he will /enjoy/ an Heirloom Signature P35 the most, and he will have a reliable, accurate, reasonably easy to shoot pistol that meets all his criteria. If he enjoys the gun, he'll shoot it and carry it more than if he didn't. Plus, it will be boss, and life is better with boss.

Jon
KC

Nephrology
06-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Glock is my choice, but Id also suggest that the original poster take a hard look at HK and M&P options, and make the choice based on his preferences/ergos.

Best, Jon

I concur.

JBP55
06-23-2013, 03:34 PM
I carry a RMR gen 4 g19, I'm asking for a buddy who will drop however many thousand on a handgun he feels like. He's leaning towards a custom hi power, p30 c&l, or a Sao sig. He has a new nighthawk .45 an doesn't want another 1911 tho. What size sig would be better for carry? Glock 19 sized or so. Not too small and not a huge one.

Thanks for all the info. I tried to talk him into a RMR 19 but not a real big Glock fan because of the "trigger".

The trigger can be fixed with a Vanek, McGlock, Glockworx or Glocktriggers package.

Wendell
06-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Glock is my choice, but I'd also suggest that the original poster take a hard look at HK and M&P options...

And Tanfoglio (http://www.tanfoglio.it/eng/catalogo/sport-amp-competition/) and Sphinx (http://www.sphinxarms.com/), too.

It all depends upon why, primarily, you want the pistol.

Kyle Reese
06-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Glock 17 Gen 4 or 9mm P30 V2. Given unlimited funds I'd source and procure unlimited ammunition for either.

1911Nut
06-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Gen3 or Gen4 Glock G17 or G19, or perhaps a Springfield XD(m).

Ken W.

David Armstrong
06-24-2013, 01:32 PM
If there were unlimited funds available, what pistol would you recomend that fits these criteria:
Gen 2 or Gen 3 Glock, 17 or 19.

nwhpfan
06-24-2013, 06:41 PM
http://www.novaksights.com/customguns/gunsforsale/novakcustom/bhpbeavertail.html

Id go with something like this..

Or a P30L LEM.

ST911
06-24-2013, 09:30 PM
This is topical herein, but may need it's own thread if we do too much with it...

Many of you mention HKs or are fans thereof. How is field sustainability these days? Armorer tasks sanctioned by HK? Armorer support from the factory? Parts availability? These will not matter to all folks, but for some it's a significant consideration. My personal preference is to use systems that are as 100%, or near thereto, field-sustainable outside the factory. I'm familiar with Sig armorer policies, but my HK experience is dated.

Westtexasrancher
06-25-2013, 07:19 AM
The trigger can be fixed with a Vanek, McGlock, Glockworx or Glocktriggers package.

It will be a carry gun tho.

Odin Bravo One
06-25-2013, 07:50 AM
M&P or G17..........fitting your very specific criteria. I can get a BHP to where I would want it for carry/duty use for under $4000, but lets get real, a 9mm fired from an M&P or Glock is just as effective or ineffective as one fired from a BHP. It's the man (or woman) that decides the bullet's fate. I'm a fan of the Gen 2 17 which can still sometimes be found a decent prices as LE trade ins. As for the S&W, if I were buying new today, I'd probably splurge for the ICORE.

Where the G17, M&P, and even the P30 have a distinct advantage over a custom BHP (or any custom piece for that matter), is that I can buy 3 G17's, 3 M&P's, or 2 P30's for what I'd have to put into a BHP. And I don't have to wait for any of the COTS guns. If what is listed in the first post were MY criteria, and it was going to be the ONLY handgun, I would buy two at least. Probably three, then dump the remaining of the $4k budgeted on 1000 rounds of JHP carry ammo, a couple G's of ball, and a 2 or 3 day course from a reputable instructor.

In the interest of full disclosure, and 100% honesty, I do have a custom P35. Oh wait..........that isn't 100% honest.

I have commissioned custom work on a P35. And was quoted "Done before Christmas". I'm not terribly surprised by the fact I do not have it back. Though I am slightly disappointed as it was going to be a gift, and now the recipient may not have use for it by the time it gets done. It's only 7 months late.

But I have 3 Glocks and 3 M&P's, all in 9mm, all cash and carried, and ALL ready to go right now. Except for machining slides for MRDS's, I can do all the customization I want in house.

But if I had to pick one, and only one........today I'd choose my stock (except for sights) G34, making the customization and modifications irrelevant.

Westtexasrancher
06-25-2013, 02:19 PM
This is topical herein, but may need it's own thread if we do too much with it...

Many of you mention HKs or are fans thereof. How is field sustainability these days? Armorer tasks sanctioned by HK? Armorer support from the factory? Parts availability? These will not matter to all folks, but for some it's a significant consideration. My personal preference is to use systems that are as 100%, or near thereto, field-sustainable outside the factory. I'm familiar with Sig armorer policies, but my HK experience is dated.

Curious about this personally. I considered swapping to a p30 but can't figure out what makes it better than my g19 RMR. And if it breaks, can I fix it.

If DA/SA, does that change things?