PDA

View Full Version : What I do to my Glocks and Why

vmi-mo
02-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Sights: First off I am not a fan of night sights. Those of you that know me, know my reasoning. I have battled with them but as member "TCinVA" said "everyones eyes are different and you need to use what your eyes need" (I know I murdered how eloquently you said that TC). For me when accuracey is needed I need a very crisp, thin black front sight. When speed is needed I prefer to rely on a small piece of green FO. I have found my eyes natuarally relax and focus better with the color green than red. Some might argue about contrast issues with targets. I have yet to come across any. On my G17 I use a Warren FO front and plain black rear. On my G19 I use a Dawson FO front and plain black adjustable rear. On the rare occasion when the stars allign and the cosmos comes together for me, the Dawsons proove to be amazing. I also have found I prefer tall and thin front sights compared to the shorter fatter factory and night sights that come on glocks.

Stippling: I have 80% of both gun's frame's stippled. I like the fact that the gun digs into my hands when I fire. I do not like it when things slip in my hands and force me to adjust my grip. I stippled my own stuff and use a very agressive pattern that feels like rough sand paper. I have not had any problems with it being soooo aggressive that it eats into my hands.

Grip Tape: If it does not interfere with the working of the holster, or eat into me I grip tape the slide where ever possible. On my G17 which is used out of an open top holster, the entire rear portion of the slide is grip taped. On my carry G19, I have the right side (as if looking down the sights) of the slide grip taped. This does not interfere with my holster, nor does it burrow into my gut. However it still aids in my ability to manipulate the slide be it cold, wet, dirty, sweaty, etc...

Trigger: I run a 3.5 ghost connector in all my guns. Why? because I dont like 5.5lbs. I feel more comfortable with my ability to manipulate 3.5 accuratley, quickly and safely.

Magazines: Two things here. First is I paint the bottom inch of my mags. All this does is allow me to identify my shit in a line of glock shooters. Next is base plates. I have been experimenting with different "+" base plates. Not so much to get extra rounds on the gun (even though its nice) but more to aid in gripping the magazine. I might also grip tape the base plates in certian areas.

Thats what I do and why for the most part.

PJ

ToddG
02-25-2011, 05:49 PM
I'll play!

"-" connector with NY1 trigger spring: this gives me what I consider an ideal trigger pull. There is noticeable resistance (feedback) from the moment I touch the trigger, a clean rolling break, and a very strong reset. The NY trigger is essentially indestructible. I also like the fact that the NY trigger is trying to prevent the gun from going off, while the standard coil trigger spring is trying to fire the gun when "at rest."
Gen2 or Gen3 gun, a Vickers Mag Release (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25364/Product/VICKERS_EXTENDED_MAG_RELEASE_for_GLOCK_reg_). I find I can reach the release on the Gen4 great.
Usually Warren 2-dot night sights; I'm going to try out a set of the new Trijicon "HSD" sights, but at first blush I'm concerned the front sight is too wide.
Extended slide release; with my hand size and grip, the extended slide release doesn't cause premature lockback or failure to lockback. I'm fortunate. I see more people have trouble with extended Glock slide stops than just about any other problem with Glocks.
Smooth (G17) trigger installed for guns that come with serrated triggers.
A $0.25 Cent Trigger Job (http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/).

Otherwise, I keep mine pretty stock. I do have some of the new Grip Force Adapters (http://shop.gripforceproducts.com/) and will be playing with them more on my Gen4 G19.

JDM
02-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Second Gen. G19 carry piece got Vickers mag release, Glock extended slide release and Sevigny carry sights (tritium front plain black rear).

YVK
02-25-2011, 09:21 PM
My first and only Gen 3 Glock 19 was my test bed. Hence, the amount of of stuff done to it is obscene and doesn't hold any critique.

1. Gun has a gunsmith-installed Briley barrel - this was commissioned by gun's original owner. From Ransom test, the average group is just over 3 inches at 25 yards with HST. Why: somebody said match grade bbl makes it better. I personally think that "match grade Glock barrels" is BS.

2. Vickers' mag catch. Why: stock unit sucks.

3. Heinie 0.140 straight eight rear, 10-8 .235 tall front. Why: The "match grade" tube shot high even with 0.215 Heinie front, hence, I need a taller one.

4. When after 7000 rounds trigger job the pull was still at around 6.5 lbs, I dropped in a "-" connector. Besides lighter weight, it gave a slightly rolling quality to trigger pull. Reset is weaker, but I'll keep it for now.

5. Smooth G-17 trigger. Just like it better.

6. Grip reduction and stippling - this gun had two, both by sought-after plastic smiths. I did say this was a test bed, didn't I? The initial was done by David Bowie, and then I decided to push it even further, and that was done by Ben Simonson from Boresight. As a result, I am able to reach standard slide release and drop it with my thumb 100% of a time, with or without gloves. The downside is occasional inadvertent activation and no-lock on empty.

7. Otherwise, I have it stock :D:D.

Tom Fineis
02-25-2011, 10:16 PM
I guess I'll be the simple one. :)

- Heinie Straight 8 night sights (front painted red or green, whatever color I find handy when it needs a touch up).
- Slide lock lever cut wayyyy down, so it barely curves over the frame. It's only enough for me to lock the gun open. My high grip doesn't allow the pistol to lock back with a factory lever. I've always been a powerstroke guy over a push-the-lever guy, so this works for me.

Yep...that's it. I've tried various triggers, mag releases, etc. I didn't find any of them to improve my effectiveness. A group of shooters looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my forehead when I offered to trade my 3.5 connector and extended controls out of a 34 I had bought for factory items.

BCL
02-25-2011, 10:25 PM
All of my 9mm Glocks have Heinie night sights, and all have the stock trigger, a Vickers mag catch, and an extended slide catch.

I put Gen3 G17 trigger bars in my Gen4 G19's.

I plan to get some grip force adapters to T&E once I'm home long enough to make it to the range.

All of my Gen3 Glocks are stippled, I haven't really felt the need to stipple my Gen4's.

The only one that I really have set up different is a Gen3 G22 that has a set of Dawson precision adjustable night sights, a Glock "-" connector, Vickers mag catch, and a Glock extended slide catch. This one is also stippled.

David
02-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Nothing, 100% completely stock other than swapping out the front sight for a fiber-optic. I even like the hockey goal rear sight.

jslaker
02-25-2011, 10:43 PM
@Todd -

Curious - Are you running the mag release reversed on your Gen4?

ToddG
02-25-2011, 10:51 PM
@Todd -
Curious - Are you running the mag release reversed on your Gen4?

No. I'd like to, but it's position is too far back and I need to shift the gun to reach it with the trigger finger. But by the same token, because it's big and farther back, it's easy to reach with my thumb.

vaspence
02-25-2011, 11:13 PM
One G17 has a "-" connector all others have what they came with. Other than replacing sights (Warren plain rear/ tritium front) I don't do anything to them but shoot em. I've owned a few tricked out 34s, etc. but the current favorite is a Gen 4 19 with large backstrap and Warrens, nothing else. I also like the mag release on the Gen 4 a lot.

JSGlock34
02-25-2011, 11:24 PM
My GEN3 Glock 34 has...

Warren 'Straight-Eight' Night Sights
Glock "-" connector
TangoDown/Vickers Magazine Release
.25 Cent Trigger Job
Skateboard Tape
Grip-plug

I do not use the extended slide release that came stock on the G34 as I found I will sometimes inadvertently activate it, causing the slide to go forward on an empty magazine. I do not use the extended magazine release either, as I found its sharp edges uncomfortable. I used the standard length Glock release for a while, but the TangoDown/Vickers release is 'just right'. I seem to recall Larry Vickers recommending the grip plug to keep debris out of the Glock mechanism; I haven't really dragged my pistol through enough dirt to see if it makes a difference, but I figure it can't hurt. Otherwise I try to stick with Glock parts whenever possible; the only unreliable Glocks I've seen have been those that have an extensive number of aftermarket 'enhancements'.

My GEN3 Glock 19 and 26 are entirely stock, save for skateboard tape, with Glock night sights.

ABC
02-26-2011, 01:00 AM
My Glock 19 (early Gen 3) has factory night sights, otherwise it is bone stock.

My Glock 22 (early Gen 2, and no KB) is stock, and will forever remain as such. It has been fired enough that parts needed replaced, but they were replaced with OEM parts.

45R
02-26-2011, 02:18 AM
My Glock 17 is bone stock except for the Warren Rear and Dawson Fiber Optic FS. This gun has been through multiple classes including two AFHF courses. I just like the way it shoots stock. ;)

Oh I also added skateboard tape to the grip so that it handles better in hot conditions.

steve
02-26-2011, 10:03 AM
I keep them stock except for the sights. I use a rear glock night sight and I keep the front sight stock.

LittleLebowski
02-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Really looking forward to the new Vickers slide release.

willowofwisp
02-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Sights::: I like the warren sights, I have been running 3 dot on my glock 26 but on the full size guns and competition guns I prefer plain rear with fiber optic front.

everything else I leave stock.

SmokeJumper
02-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I'll play!

"-" connector with NY1 trigger spring: this gives me what I consider an ideal trigger pull. There is noticeable resistance (feedback) from the moment I touch the trigger, a clean rolling break, and a very strong reset. The NY trigger is essentially indestructible. I also like the fact that the NY trigger is trying to prevent the gun from going off, while the standard coil trigger spring is trying to fire the gun when "at rest."
Gen2 or Gen3 gun, a Vickers Mag Release (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25364/Product/VICKERS_EXTENDED_MAG_RELEASE_for_GLOCK_reg_). I find I can reach the release on the Gen4 great.
Usually Warren 2-dot night sights; I'm going to try out a set of the new Trijicon "HSD" sights, but at first blush I'm concerned the front sight is too wide.
Extended slide release; with my hand size and grip, the extended slide release doesn't cause premature lockback or failure to lockback. I'm fortunate. I see more people have trouble with extended Glock slide stops than just about any other problem with Glocks.
Smooth (G17) trigger installed for guns that come with serrated triggers.
A $0.25 Cent Trigger Job (http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/).

Otherwise, I keep mine pretty stock. I do have some of the new Grip Force Adapters (http://shop.gripforceproducts.com/) and will be playing with them more on my Gen4 G19.

Ok, gotta a few questions... I'm still new in the Glock arena, been a long time HK guy and carry S&W at work. Started shooting/purchasing Glock a while back.
First, I see quite a few guys recommend the NY1 trigger spring, is this something I can install myself relatively easily or do I need to have an armorer do it? I would imagine there's a video or two out there on it. And secondly, does the "NY" stand for something specific, kinda dumb question, but I was curious? My application would be a carry gun and BUG on the G27.

ToddG
02-26-2011, 05:36 PM
First, I see quite a few guys recommend the NY1 trigger spring, is this something I can install myself relatively easily or do I need to have an armorer do it?

A retarded monkey can detail strip and reassemble a Glock. (I say this as someone who recently posted pictures of a Glock I assembled incorrectly :cool:)

And secondly, does the "NY" stand for something specific, kinda dumb question, but I was curious?

New York.

SmokeJumper
02-26-2011, 05:42 PM
A retarded monkey can detail strip and reassemble a Glock. (I say this as someone who recently posted pictures of a Glock I assembled incorrectly :cool:)

New York.

Thank you sir. I did see your Glock re-assembly on the Pistol-Training Blog, it was a good read, we all make mistakes. At least you knew something wasn't right, we recently had someone leave the range after a qual without putting the firing pin back in their AR, their AR that had to function the first time right out of the rack.

David Armstrong
02-26-2011, 06:38 PM
G17, G19, and G22 all Gen2 and all set up exactly the same:
Smooth triggers
Trijicon Night sights
NY-1 trigger. Like Todd said, it is essentially indestructable. I stay with the standard connector.

I've just never seen any need to modify my Glocks to any significant degree for SD/fighting purposes.
FWIW, the G17 has over 100,000 rounds through it.

vcdgrips
02-26-2011, 07:38 PM
My G34/35 go to set up
1. Guns stippled by me--traction in hand
2. Glock OEM extended mag release, shortened and stippled--easier to use
3. Ameriglo Pro Operators green .125 front/yellow .180 rear, oranged painted front,
semi-sharpied rear so ther is still glow in low light-- simply the best set up for me
4. Glock OEM 3.5 pound connectors--easier to manage than stock for precision shots
5. Back strap heated over cocktail candle for 15 minutes and flattened--feels/points
better for me.
6. Grip Plug, texture and recontoured

TheLaw
02-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Ameriglo Orange front sight
Extended Slide Stop
3.5# Ghost Connector
Skateboard tape here and there

Nikuraba29
02-26-2011, 08:37 PM
I use the hackathorn/ ameriglo sights on my Gen4 G17 and on my RTF G17 a vickers mag release, rocket 3.5 trigger and fiber optic/tritium night sights.
S/F

vmi-mo
02-26-2011, 08:48 PM
I use the hackathorn/ ameriglo sights on my Gen4 G17 and on my RTF G17 a vickers mag release, rocket 3.5 trigger and fiber optic/tritium night sights.
S/F

What specific sights are the FO/tritium?

PJ

MattInFla
02-27-2011, 12:13 PM
What specific sights are the FO/tritium?

PJ

TruGlo makes a set of FO/Tritium sights. I have a set on my G34, and they work pretty well.

Matt

Chuck Haggard
02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
We use the NY1 trigger spring at work, so all of my Glocks, in 9mm, have one of those.

I drop better sights on my guns, I am currently very happy with the Ameriglo sights. I used to run the XS sights for several years.

Other than that my "upgrade" tends to be running a case of ammo through the gun.

beltjones
02-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Sevigny Comp or Dawson Precision sights. I used to like straight 8 night sights on the "nightstand" G17 until I shot it in a low-light IDPA match. It was really easy to put one dot on top of the other, but under stress and in low light I couldn't tell how far apart they should be! I found very quickly that the three dot system might be a little slower, but there is also a lot more visual feedback, and a sight picture is all about visual feedback.

Competition trigger springs in all of them.

My nightstand G17 has the factory connector, my competition G34 has a Ghost Patrol connector. I don't ride the reset like a lot of shooters, preferring instead to let the trigger all the way forward and aggressively prep between rounds. No, it's not slower, but I find I do like a very light take up and a slightly heavier, crisper break when using this trigger technique. My G17 breaks at 4 lbs, my G34 breaks at 3.5lbs - both very crisp and not "rolling" at all. The Patrol connector results in a break about 1/4 lb lighter than the stock connector without losing any crispness in the break.

All get the extended mag release. All have the standard slide release.

All but the G26 get grip tape on the sides and backstrap.

I've found that the Vanek Classic trigger bar will reduce pull by about 1/2 lb, and I have one installed in my G34. The G17 is a "rare" 2 pin Gen 3 model I bought in 1999. It has a trigger bar that is shaped differently than what ships with Gen 3 Glocks these days. The older trigger bar gives a pull very similar to the Vanek Classic trigger bar.

The G17 has a factory recoil spring. The G34 has a steel guide rod with a 13 lb. Wolf spring.

The G34 has a Glockmeister grip plug, and the G17 has a Dawson Ice Magwell that I had left over from another project.

turbolag23
02-28-2011, 02:40 PM
for those with FO front sights on a 34/35 does the sight hang over the cut out area? i'm looking to put warren FO front on my 35.

currently my carry guns have trijicon sights and others are glock plastic. I put a flat trigger on my 27 but thats the extent of my changing parts for now.

beltjones
02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Neither the Warrens nor the Dawsons hang over the cutout part of the 34/35 slide.

Pennzoil
03-04-2011, 04:44 PM
- Glock 17 smooth trigger
- 25˘ trigger job
- Extended magazine release modified (cut down and rounded corners)
- sights using meprolights need to find something else probably warren 2-dots in future
- front sight painted orange, sharpie rear sight around tritium white circles
- Glock extended slide release, no issue with my hand size
- light sanding RTF2 texture on left side of grip

I modified my slide release after experiencing multiple double feeds do to poor magazine maintenance on my part in the rain. I knew what to do but the slippery underside of the slide release mixed in with rain equaled me having issues locking back the slide at speed under stress of timer. I cut some lines into the rear hump of the release and then painted just the underside with flat paint and sponged it for some texture. This helped a lot even with slide realase dry it almost grabs my finger. So I should be good on those 3 days it rains a year here in Arizona now.

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/6627/beforeafter.png

jslaker
03-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Where are you guys sourcing your - connectors, and is it advisable to stay with OEM parts?

The NY1/- combo sounds up my ally and I may pick up a G19 if I can find somebody willing to buy my 226. :cool:

JV_
03-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I only use OEM parts in my Glocks. I normally get them from:
http://www.glockmeister.com

ToddG
03-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Got to see the new FBI Gen4 mag button today... nice!

turbolag23
03-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Got to see the new FBI Gen4 mag button today... nice!

is that the one thats not going to be available to the public?

ToddG
03-04-2011, 08:29 PM
That is my understanding, yes. I'll sell mine, though. Bidding begins at eleventy billion pesos.

willowofwisp
03-04-2011, 08:39 PM
That is my understanding, yes. I'll sell mine, though. Bidding begins at eleventy billion pesos.

by my math thats a bargain! I didn't even know peso held any value..since the American dollar is so low haha.

davisj
03-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I have two 19 RTF2s that are set up the same:

Warren Two-Dots with the front sight painted orange
Glock - connector
25 cent trigger job
Vickers mag release
Glockmeister plugs
Grip Force Adapters
G17 smooth trigger, slightly filed to remove the tab

After owning a regular Gen3 and a Gen4 I've found that the RTF2 is the best for me. I prefer the rougher texture but I did sand the grips down slightly so that I can carry IWB without a t-shirt but still get a good grip. I purchased the Warren's after reading Todd's M&P test and have preferred them ever since. I toyed with the NY1 and - combo but prefer just the minus connector. The Vickers mag release and plug aid in smoother reloads, options that aren't available on the Gen4. Although the Gen4 release is larger it isn't longer which forced me to slightly adjust my grip, something I don't have to do on the RTF2s. I also really like the GFAs as I have large hands and these increase the size of the grip to the size of a Gen4 with large back strap. When I tried the GFA on my Gen4 I had to apply it to the short frame so I lost the benefit of a larger back strap. I'm curious to try the Vickers/TangoDown slide stop when they become available.

I've owned Sigs, HKs, and M&Ps but for me the G19 is the perfect all around gun. The only difference between my two is that one wears a TLR-1 and stays in the bedroom safe.

ToddG
03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Spent today teaching with a borrowed Gen4 17 equipped with Hackathorn sights, -/NY trigger combo, and Glock's prototype "beavertail" backstrap.

I am seriously digging the sights. I might get a set to play with at longer ranges, but I was hitting a 1" square at 7yd without trouble.

turbolag23
03-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I hadnt seen those Hackathorn sights before, they look nice.

JodyH
03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
My Glocks have:
NY1/(-) combo and a smooth face trigger
Ameriglo Hackathorn sights
Vickers mag release

My wifes Glock 19 and 26 have:
XS Big Dot sights

turbolag23
03-05-2011, 11:35 PM
the Hackathorn sights seem to be sold out so I may try the AmeriGlo iDot Pro, look pretty similar, 2 dot NS with wide U rear and dual circle front.

TCinVA
03-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Spent today teaching with a borrowed Gen4 17 equipped with Hackathorn sights, -/NY trigger combo, and Glock's prototype "beavertail" backstrap.

I am seriously digging the sights. I might get a set to play with at longer ranges, but I was hitting a 1" square at 7yd without trouble.

Well it's about bloody time they listened. If it won't make anyone at Glock freak out, email me a pic.

jslaker
03-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Well it's about bloody time they listened. If it won't make anyone at Glock freak out, email me a pic.

They were showing them off publicy at SHOT, lots of pics out there :) :

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1024&bih=488&q=glock+beavertail+shot&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

Prdator
03-05-2011, 11:56 PM
My Glock mods,

1, Ameriglo Operator Pro NS, Yellow/Green.
2, Under cut trigger guard and remove the "Thumb Bumps"
3, Trigger job, 3.5# connector and some polishing.
4, Shoot the quay of of it:D

KeeFus
03-05-2011, 11:58 PM
G-19

Heinie Straight 8's
Grip Plug
.25 trigger job

G-17 (Competition only)
Heinie Straight 8's
Glockworx 3lb connector
Extra power trigger spring
Grip Plug
.25 trigger job

Frank B
03-06-2011, 04:01 AM
G23 Gen 3 (carry gun)

- AmeriGlo iDot Pro NS
- "-" connector +NY1 trigger
- Vickers extended mag release

two G19 Gen 3

-Heinie Straight Eight sights
- Vickers extended mag release

G30 Gen 3

-XS Sights Big Dot

All frames are stippled by myself. The Big Dots waiting for a replacement by Ameriglo´s.

fuse
03-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Really looking forward to the new Vickers slide release.

Ditto

Mike Honcho
03-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I ground the finger grooves off, thinned out the trigger guard where my middle finger meets it to facilitate a higher grip, and stippled the hell out of the whole grip and a place where my support hand thumb rides, as well as a spot to index my trigger finger along the frame. I didn't realize that would screw me up shooting IDPA, but I'm not buying another gun until I eventually get an M&P9.

I have Big Dots on mine. I'm thinking about whether or not I want to replace them or not. It seems like the last year or so there's been a landslide of new "ultimate" pistol sights. I'm not spending ridiculous amounts of money to try new sights I might not like. I like the Big Dots, but I am worried that I could be more accurate without that huge golfball covering the target.

I'm in Korea now, so I have a small list of things I want to do when I get back. I have a Vickers mag release sitting at home now, and will order the Vickers slide release when it comes in.

I also want to do the 3.5 lb trigger and $.25 trigger job. I need the 3.5 disconnector, a new striker spring, and what else? What brand do you guys recommend? I see a lot of people use Ghost, is that good, or should I use only factory parts?

Seven_Sicks_Two
03-10-2011, 05:22 AM
30:
Bone Stock.

21:
Ghost 3.5# connector, NY Olive Spring. It is still an experiment for me at this point. I'm trying to save my lunch money for new sights.

DocGKR
03-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Gen 3 Glocks I carry get the following:

-- Better sights: For irons usually Trijicon HD, Warren, or Ameriglo 3-dot with bright green front and dim yellow back, although recently I've been using an RDS (typically an RMR02 or RMR06) with suppressor height BIS.

-- Re-shaped Glock OEM extended mag catch

-- Glock OEM slide release

-- Scherer "slug" butt plug

-- Stipple frame

-- Glock "-" connector with stock trigger return spring

-- Glock smooth trigger if not OEM installed (typically needs replacement on G19's)

-- Maritime spring cups if any use around water is anticipated

snuffy19608
03-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Gen 3 G17 with GNS,

NY1 spring
"-" connector
.25 trigger job
OEM extended slide release
Vickers mag release- pending

The trigger job and NY1/"-" combo give me what I consider a smoother trigger with more positive reset. Extended slide release puts it just where I like, I usually slingshot the slide but having options is nice. Hoping the Vickers release works as well as I've heard, almost forgot the grip tape all over the slide. Makes one-handed ops a lot easier.

Jason
03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
My 3 glocks all have:

Heinie Straight Eight sights
Vickers mag release
Smooth glock 17 trigger
Extended slide release (to be replaced by vicker's slide release when available)

Thats it, everything else is stock. I have played with grip tape, minus connectors, minus connectors with NY trigger springs, and a bunch of other things, but what is above has worked for me quite well.

Mr_White
03-25-2011, 05:16 PM
The only thing I always put on a Glock is a set of Ameriglo Operator night sights (green tritium front, yellow tritium rear.)

Sometimes I paint the white circle around the front tritium vial florescent red instead of white. It's a lot like the Hack front sight, but narrower (.125" wide vs. .140" wide.) I think the size of the red blob is smaller than on the Hack front though. I could go either way, white or red front ring.

I can't pick a trigger to save my life. I vacillate between the major configs:

stock spring w/minus connector
stock spring w/stock connector
NY1 spring w/minus connector
NY1 spring w/stock connector

At the moment, I'm using the NY1 w/stock connector. It sucks, relatively speaking, but makes me work hard at trigger control, which is probably good.

WyoXd
03-26-2011, 09:29 PM
My Glock:

Gen 4 17
-came with unmarked RSA, now has 0-2 RSA, soon to have 0-2-1 RSA(as soon as it arrives in the mail)
-$0.25 trigger job (including polishing the Gen4 "bump" on the trigger bar
-Ghost 3.5# Ultimate connector
-6# trigger spring from Ghost
-Warren Tactical sights(Plain black rear with Fiber optic front)
-Lone Wolf barrel (for my piece of mind with lead loads)

This so far is just a range and IDPA gun. I haven't shot it enough yet to use this as my carry gun.

dsa
04-01-2011, 03:47 PM
What is the approximate weight of the trigger pull with the above mentioned combination? Thanks.

JV_
04-01-2011, 05:37 PM
What is the approximate weight of the trigger pull with the above mentioned combination? Thanks.

7'ish with a Gen3, heavier with a Gen4.

dsa
04-01-2011, 05:42 PM
7'ish with a Gen3, heavier with a Gen4.

Thanks

turbolag23
04-01-2011, 10:33 PM
i just changed my g23 to a NY1 and "-" connector. I've also been debating swapping the Trijicon sights for Ameriglo i-dot pro's to pick up the front sight easier.

NickA
04-07-2011, 09:05 PM
so are most of you using the Glock OEM "-" connector or aftermarket (Ghost,etc)? and is the OEM really $25 compared to $5 for the other weights, or am i just shopping wrong?

turbolag23
04-07-2011, 09:41 PM
so are most of you using the Glock OEM "-" connector or aftermarket (Ghost,etc)? and is the OEM really $25 compared to $5 for the other weights, or am i just shopping wrong?

i had an aftermarket one then i got the "concealed carry kit" from glockparts for $22 which was the oem - connector and ny1 spring.

NickA
04-08-2011, 06:22 AM
i had an aftermarket one then i got the "concealed carry kit" from glockparts for $22 which was the oem - connector and ny1 spring.
Thanks!

snuffy19608
04-10-2011, 03:18 AM

I got mine from a guy on GT, it was $25 shipped to my door. I think the connector from Glock is a bit salty but I made the decision early on to use OEM parts if possible.

Steve m
04-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Two glock 19's one primary one back up. Vickers mag release, smooth trigger from glock 17, ameriglo pro-glo sights. Glock 17 (mainly IDPA) warren carry rear and fiber optic front, extended mag release. All have been smoothed and polished IE 25cent Trigger job). Thats about it.

Work glock 19 Trijicon sights, rear black front painted orange, Vickers Mag catch, sure fire x300 in safariland ALS

All are 3rd gen and run like champs even my beat to crap work gun. I also keep a complete spare set of springs for every gun in my range bag.

I try to keep them pretty much with factory equipment and set up as much the same as I can. I do this to ensure that I have commonality with all my gear, work, concealed carry and IDPA set-up, took this advice from more experienced people than me.

SteveK
04-12-2011, 07:26 AM
17,19,21SF

Night sights (Heinie or Ameriglo)
Vickers mag release
internals left stock

All are Gen3s, no thank you on the Gen4 guns.

Sig_Fiend
04-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Gen 2 G17, carry gun:

-Ameriglo Kyle Defoor sights: Simple but effective. The thinner front, wider rear makes for an excellent improvement in speed and accuracy IMO. I really love these sights! They just work, are simple, inexpensive, and I feel like my shooting has improved with them.

-Stock slide release: Ugh, still making my mind up here. Lately I've been real aggressive with my support hand fully locked out. The recoil control and consistency has been awesome compared to the slightly less aggressive grip I used to have, so I don't want to compromise the grip. Lately I've found this has lead me to two problems. Either I prematurely bump the slide release on, or I end up failing to get lock back. After going from the factory extended release, back to stock, now I'm considering cutting it off. At least that way I'd have consistency. I just don't want to have to resort to the slower power stroke method of manipulation, but I don't want to compromise grip either. If only someone made a slide release that extended farther back on the grip instead of down (like the P99).

-Factory extended mag release: I sanded it down and beveled the edges so it's somewhere between stock extended and Vickers. The Vickers is good, but that extra millimeter or so over the Vickers works better for my thumb.

-Ghost 3.5 connector: Lighter pull, I hate heavier pulls. I do miss the crispness of the stock reset, but no biggie.

WDW
04-25-2011, 04:27 AM
I'll admit, up until a few months ago, when I really started getting into Todd's handgun philosophy, I was guilty of switching up guns like women do purses. Now I carry and train only with a Sig P226 E2 9mm, completely stock. When I did carry a Glock It had the following:
G19
1. Glock night sighs
2. Glock extended slide stop
G21 SF
1. Trijicon night sights
2. extended slide stop
3. Grip stippling
4. Crimson Trace backstrap laser

NGCSUGrad09
04-25-2011, 09:10 AM
My standard Glock setup:

Warren Tactical Sights - Tritium front/plain rear
Minus Connector
Vickers/FBI length mag release
Smooth trigger bar if required
Grip tape for everything but the RTFs and 19s.

On the slide release, I've always used the extended piece. Lately, I've been trying the standard release on my 17 and haven't noticed any difference in reload times. The jury is still out, but it's looking like I may go back to standard releases across all of the guns.

I try to have all of my Glocks cloned so that whichever gun I happen to have, they're identical for use. Much easier than having to make adjustments if you want to shoot a different one.

ToddG
04-25-2011, 01:39 PM
On the slide release, I've always used the extended piece. Lately, I've been trying the standard release on my 17 and haven't noticed any difference in reload times. The jury is still out, but it's looking like I may go back to standard releases across all of the guns.

Try the Vickers. It really is better than either of the factory versions. I'd occasionally miss the standard one, and I'd occasionally bump the extended one. But the Vickers has worked every time. The only potential issue is that some holsters won't be molded to accept the protrusion.

Super J
05-01-2011, 03:24 AM
My G35 that I use for IPSC has talon grips, grip force adapter, ghost rocket trigger kit, Glock extended slide release, and sevigny competition sights (black rear with red fiber optic front)

My other glocks have Glock extended slide release and sevigny carry sights with tritium model # scy-11 (green tritium in front with single dimmer yellow tritium in rear).

NickA
05-01-2011, 12:26 PM
A retarded monkey can detail strip and reassemble a Glock
This appears to be true, at least for the lower part. I just installed the "-"/ NY1 combo on my "ToddG17" (gen3) and love it. Only 100 rounds or so but immediate improvement on 3x5 shots and new best FAST time. We'll see if it's just "new gun" syndrome but I'm going to go ahead and change my 19 as well.

JM Campbell
05-01-2011, 08:46 PM
This appears to be true, at least for the lower part. I just installed the "-"/ NY1 combo on my "ToddG17" (gen3) and love it. Only 100 rounds or so but immediate improvement on 3x5 shots and new best FAST time. We'll see if it's just "new gun" syndrome but I'm going to go ahead and change my 19 as well.

Come on Nick be honest...it was a clean 5.99 FAST and you did shoot the G17 with more confidence, the mini Dot Torture with the walk back proved that.

It was great shooting with you the other day, and the tips are greatly appreciated.

JFK
05-03-2011, 02:16 PM
My gen 2 G17 has a fiber front sight. Other than that it is bone stock and a solid gun that just seems to keep going.

My gen 4 is modified with a for sale sign.

ToddG
08-06-2011, 11:37 AM
After just five months of screwing around with different sights, grips, triggers, etc., I believe my G17 is now set up the way I will keep it for a while:

Trijicon HD (http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDNS) night sights (orange)
Vickers Tactical slide stop (http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=137)
Glockmeister Grip Plug (http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Grip-Plug-for-Full-Size-Compact-Gen-4-GLOCKS/productinfo/BCIG4)
customized Grip Force Adapter (http://gripforceproducts.com/)
T&T's Gadget (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?712-The-Gadget-REVEALED)
"dot" connector (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1172-Glock-quot-Dot-quot-Connector), standard trigger return spring, standard gen4 trigger bar
FBI magazine release
minor rounding of the bottom of the trigger guard to alleviate "Glock knuckle"

JAD
08-06-2011, 08:44 PM
What I do with my glocks -- and this is consistent, for a G19c, G22, G19, and G27: buy a ton of magazines, take them to 250 (just the 19c), shoot the hell out of them, remember that my hands are too small to let me get a proper address on the trigger, and sell them. Wait a year, repeat.

Those bitchin' RMR cowitness setups are going to drive me back to it. I wonder if I can get my finger lengthened.

JonInWA
08-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Gen 3 G17: Glock extended slide release, Glock steel sights

Gen 3 G19: Glock extended slide release, OEM Trijicon sight, Gen 3.5 smooth triggerbar

Gen 3 G21: Glock extended slide release, Glock steel sights, updated triggerbar, mountain bike innertube segment for grip sleeve

Gen 3 G34: NY1 trigger spring (with OEM 4.5 connector), Warren Tactical black-on-black sights (with front sight's rear face painted Neon Green)

If they didn't come with them OEM, recoil spring assembly updated to "1" component (stiffer Zytel recoil spring guide)

Critical component reciprocation areas lubes with TW25B; Weapon Shield used for all other lubrication

All of my Gen 3 Glocks are pre-2010, and have been flawless performers. I've had some excellent results with the Glock steel sights on my G17, so I've remained with them on it and my G21. The G17 has a superb triggerpull-and has pretty much right out of the box, apres lubrication-I'll self-suggest that my excellent results with it have a lot to do with it's trigger characteristics.

I've found that the G19's Trijicon sights provide both an excellent day and night sight picture.

The Warren Tactical sights on the G34 are probably the best sights per se on any of my Glocks-but I still do a bit better with my G17 and G19, probably do to greater hammer time with them, and the G17's trigger pull.

Best, Jon

Gadfly
08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Gen 3, 19- stock except for night sights (wife's gun).

Gen 3, 22- extended (and rounded) mag catch, night sights. (my IPDA gun)

Gen 3, 26- TFO tritium/fiber optic night sights, NY1 spring w stock connector, I like this set up for duty carry. Grip reduction by gripreductions.com. The grip hump is far down on the full size frames, but on the sub compact, the grip hump is right in my palm and bugs me... (my duty back up gun/daily carry)

Gen 4, 22- stock except for night sights. (was bought to replace the gen 3 22 for IDPA. Grip and mag release feel superior, trigger is still better on the gen 3, so I have yet to switch to gen 4 for IDPA. Right now, it is my pack up IDPA gun.)

Joe Chen
08-08-2011, 06:55 PM
What I do with my glocks -- and this is consistent, for a G19c, G22, G19, and G27: buy a ton of magazines, take them to 250 (just the 19c), shoot the hell out of them, remember that my hands are too small to let me get a proper address on the trigger, and sell them. Wait a year, repeat.

Those bitchin' RMR cowitness setups are going to drive me back to it. I wonder if I can get my finger lengthened.I've got the same trigger address issue, and I came up with something for it a while ago. It involves plastic-smithing. Will post it up soon.

BigT
08-10-2011, 12:23 AM
For now I have settled on the following:
Primary IDPA gun is a G17RTF2
OEM 2kg(4.5lb) connector
OEM medium mag catch
Warren Sevigny carry sights (black on black)
Grip Force Adaptor

Soon to be carry gun (as soon as the license comes through)
OD G17
Exact same set up as the RTF gun but with Warren Tactical one dot tritium sights.

I like the Arrendondo +6 extentions (treated as +5's) for spare mags. The RTF2 is used as my carry gun while I wait for the license for the OD. I want to try the Vickers Slide Stop as soon as I can get my paws on one.

irishshooter
08-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I've got the same trigger address issue, and I came up with something for it a while ago. It involves plastic-smithing. Will post it up soon.

very curious

vcdgrips
08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
My G34/35 go to set up
1. Guns stippled by me, finger groves removed--traction in hand
2. Glock OEM extended mag release, shortened and stippled--easier to use
3. Ameriglo Pro Operators green .125 front/yellow .180 rear, oranged painted front,
semi-sharpied rear so ther is still glow in low light-- simply the best set up for me
4. Glock OEM 3.5 pound connectors--easier to manage than stock for precision shots
5. Back strap heated over cocktail candle for 15 minutes and flattened--feels/points
better for me.
6. Grip Plug, texture and recontoured
7. ADDED 6/11 in prep for the AFHF Class-Vickers Slide Release- All the benefits of the OEM i.e. easier to manipluate, without the OEM downside i.e. inadvertant activation with a high grip on the pistol (YMMV on this one)

JAD
08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I've got the same trigger address issue, and I came up with something for it a while ago. It involves plastic-smithing. Will post it up soon.
I'm interested. I'm pretty happy with my 1911s; with thin stocks and a short trigger they're pretty 100% for me. However, I'd like to have a gun to leave in Arizona for my frequent visits there, and I'd rather not part with any of the nice guns.

vcdgrips
08-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Jon,
Hypothetically speaking, you may have used to shoot with someone on tues nights who could:
1. Eliminate the finger groves and/or front checkering
2. Eliminate the back checkering
3. Heat and press the back stap in a bit such that
4. Your glock will be bit thinner in the hand

The Pic below is actually a G21SF
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn128/vcdgrips/P8050557.jpg

None of this would involve injecting the backstrap hollow with a material only to have it sanded off though that can also yield a very thin glock i.e. Robar et al. Indeed, KCPD is actually issuing Robarized Glocks to smaller handed officers and has seen improved scores/confidence etc.

JAD
08-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Jon,
Hypothetically speaking, you may have used to shoot with someone on tues nights who could... None of this would involve injecting the backstrap hollow with a material only to have it sanded off though that can also yield a very thin glock i.e. Robar et al. Indeed, KCPD is actually issuing Robarized Glocks to smaller handed officers and has seen improved scores/confidence etc.

The part of the grip circumference that gets in my way, unfortunately, is filled with gun bits. I've felt some very good reductions, and my bottom three fingers think they're ducky. Sucks to be me. In the meantime, I bought another (!) lightweight commander, so I guess the Super Thirty Eight is Arizona-bound.

CK1
08-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Recently I've made my way back to Glocks due to joining a new agency and wanting to maintain tighter equipment and training consistency after spending over a year with some "fancier" pistols...
Work issues a .40 cal, which I am not fond of, so I carry and do most training with the 9mm Glocks.

Running the same circa early 2009 3rd Gen 19 for EDC, training, and IDPA/USPSA these days...

set-up like this:

Warren Tactical Sevigny Competition sights, all-black irons. I'm one of those who doesn't think night sights are truly essential and I prefer the crisp and uncluttered all-black picture, an M3 rail light is in my pocket for carry usually, but always a flashlight I can shoot with while using.
Ghost "Ranger" 4.5 connector (pretty much the "dot connector" before it came out, an in-between connector that's crisper than a 3.5 but nicer and not as heavy as a 5.0 trigger). 15lb ISMI compact-sized recoil-spring on the stock Glock rod, Wolff 6lm trigger spring.

Joe Chen
08-14-2011, 04:28 AM
I've got the same trigger address issue, and I came up with something for it a while ago. It involves plastic-smithing. Will post it up soon.Been busy sorry no pics yet. This is from an old email back in 2006. Original gun has run thousands more rounds in multiple classes and practice since.

"I pinned the trigger housing to reduce the initial reach to the trigger. This reduces how far the trigger bar and thus how far the trigger can move forward. This eliminates the dead takeup and places the trigger bar just in front of firing pin safety. All I did was drill a hole behind the ejector and fill it with a piece of an old drill bit for a stop. The stop is also supported by the front surface of the existing slot. A couple thousand rounds later and no perceptible wear, but that really isn't a high load area anyways. You will also have to shave the back surface of the trigger safety so that it will drop down and engage with the reduced forward travel.

This mod has nothing to do with the reset or where in the travel the trigger actually breaks. For that I shortened the rear of the trigger bar to the point where it releases the striker very close to the end of the trigger's travel, keeping in mind to maintain the stock contour. I took off too much the first time but Glock parts are cheap. The second time around I left a little bit of overtravel in there for reliability, and the reset is now 1911 short and very positive. Shorter reset can also be accomplished with the clamp-on travel stops, but my goal with these mods was to move the entire action rearward to make the gun more useful for smaller hands."

Joe Chen
08-17-2011, 12:15 AM
I finally got some pics. This is what I do with MY Glocks. I've run a similar setup on my G17 for more than a few classes and thousands of rounds. I'm personally happy with the performance and reliability, though I understand why some Glock folks may consider this heresy. I am not encouraging anyone do undertake these modifications as you can seriously screw up your gun. Mods if this borders on internet gunsmithing, please remove.

Trigger housing with pin. This limits the forward travel of the trigger.
http://gallery.me.com/chenhaus/100029/IMG_1010/web.jpg?ver=13135559640001

Reduced trigger safety so it drops with the shortened reach:
http://gallery.me.com/chenhaus/100029/IMG_1012/web.jpg?ver=13135559810001

New trigger position. This lets me run the Grip Force adapter for angle and still address the trigger properly. All safeties are intact, and the initial takeup starts at the firing pin safety. Shortened travel, reduced staging/stacking, and minimal overtravel/reset are bonus. Also, Vickers slide lock and scallop behind magazine release.
http://gallery.me.com/chenhaus/100029/IMG_1013/web.jpg?ver=13135559990001

Rear of trigger bar shortened, same contour. Trigger breaks at the very rear with a little overtravel built in for reliability. Reset is almost immediate.
http://gallery.me.com/chenhaus/100029/IMG_1011/web.jpg?ver=13135560130001

If you take too much off, you're out a trigger assembly. Striker can still be dropped by reaching in the back of the slide with a pick. It may work with a different connector due to the angle. I've got a shortened trigger assembly that works with a (-) connector, but not a standard connector. Sight picture is a little deceiving due to camera perspective. Width of the front sight (AmeriGlo ProGlo) actually fills out the notch (10-8 0.156") more.
http://gallery.me.com/chenhaus/100029/IMG_1017/web.jpg?ver=13135560500001

Chamfer on underside of slide for no bite, thinned rear frame for thumbs, reduced GripForce adapter:
http://gallery.me.com/chenhaus/100029/IMG_1014/web.jpg?ver=13135561090001

Abbreviated 10-8 rear sight. I got tired of catching the front lip first on a one-handed rack. I know they have to put the logo somewhere. Sorry, Hilton.
http://gallery.me.com/chenhaus/100029/IMG_1015/web.jpg?ver=13135561260001

With G26 magazine, reduced GAP floorplate:
http://gallery.me.com/chenhaus/100029/IMG_1018/web.jpg?ver=13135560730001

With G19 magazine:
http://gallery.me.com/chenhaus/100029/IMG_1019/web.jpg?ver=13135560890001

JLM
09-28-2014, 01:23 AM
After just five months of screwing around with different sights, grips, triggers, etc., I believe my G17 is now set up the way I will keep it for a while:

Trijicon HD (http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDNS) night sights (orange)
Vickers Tactical slide stop (http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=137)
Glockmeister Grip Plug (http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Grip-Plug-for-Full-Size-Compact-Gen-4-GLOCKS/productinfo/BCIG4)
customized Grip Force Adapter (http://gripforceproducts.com/)
T&T's Gadget (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?712-The-Gadget-REVEALED)
"dot" connector (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1172-Glock-quot-Dot-quot-Connector), standard trigger return spring, standard gen4 trigger bar
FBI magazine release
minor rounding of the bottom of the trigger guard to alleviate "Glock knuckle"

Well Todd (LTNS by the way) I finally got rid of the 226, and grabbed a Gen4 a couple days ago. Soooo, what's the deal with this FBI mag release? I really HATE the sharp edges on the factory release.

Also, how did you mod the Grip Force? Curious about that. I watched a vid last night with Super Dave, Larry, and Hack. Looked like a nice piece of gear.

I'll take a look at those sites. I was going to hit you up for a recommendation actually.

David S.
09-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Also, how did you mod the Grip Force? Curious about that. I watched a vid last night with Super Dave, Larry, and Hack. Looked like a nice piece of gear.

I'll take a look at those sites. I was going to hit you up for a recommendation actually.

Not Todd but do you need the Grip Force Adapter in the first place? I think most people here get them because Glocks give them slide bite. If you don't get slide bite, then you probably don't need one. I haven't shot any Gen4's with the new factory beavertail backstrap installed, but it seems like a much more elegant solution than the GFA.

JLM
09-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks Jolly!

I thought the GFA changed the grip angle to be more "1911" like as well?

JHC
09-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Thanks Jolly!

I've tried GFA's and they're ok but I didn't keep them on. But I would agree with those who say it may change the angles that direction and present closer to level vs the point high thing many observe about Glocks (which is under appreciation of Gaston's design to compensate for the tendency to yank shots low. ;) )

Thing is I have long preferred the way Glock's "point" and over all orient in my hands; to target fast vs 1911s so I was sort of "meh" about the GFA.

I've played around a little with the new OEM versions with the little beaver and my sense is they generally preserve the Glock grip angle so the two products seem to offer a slightly different option.

JLM
09-30-2014, 02:54 AM
You know its interesting that you mention of how they point naturally.

For years, I shot nothing but Sig and 1911's. I remember the first time I shot my ex's duty weapon (G22) and I thought "what in the fuuu.... is this". I just really didn't care for the platform.

But now years later, with more time behind them I actually really LIKE the grip angle. Points fine for me :D I punch the gun on out and boom I'm on.

Maybe I'll throw one of the factory beavertails on it, maybe not we will see :cool:

Thanks JNC!

DonW
10-01-2014, 08:11 AM
I'll play!

"-" connector ...
Is this the one? 4.5 Pound Stock Connector (http://www.glockmeister.com/45-Pound-Stock-Connector/productinfo/G721/), glockmeister.com/

Does it reduce trigger reset?

DocGKR
10-01-2014, 09:00 AM
That is the connector; no it does not reduce reset.

Except for sights and Scherer "slug" butt plug, I have gone back to using only Glock OEM parts.

As noted earlier in the thread:

Gen 3 Glocks I carry get the following:

-- Better sights: For irons usually Trijicon HD, Warren, or Ameriglo 3-dot with bright green front and dim yellow back, although recently I've been using an RDS (typically an RMR02 or RMR06) with suppressor height BIS.

-- Re-shaped Glock OEM extended mag catch

-- Glock OEM slide release

-- Scherer "slug" butt plug

-- Stipple frame

-- Glock "-" connector with stock trigger return spring

-- Glock smooth trigger if not OEM installed (typically needs replacement on G19's)

-- Maritime spring cups if any use around water is anticipated

DonW
10-01-2014, 09:25 AM
That is the connector; no it does not reduce reset.

Thanks!

JLM
10-05-2014, 05:02 PM
It APPEARS to me at least that there is no way to run a grip plug in concert with the factory beavertail backstraps. That leaves the GFA as the only option yes?

pr1042
10-05-2014, 05:58 PM
pearce and jentra make one that works with the back straps installed

Pearce for the small frame 17/19 size is PGG4MF and you can pick up on ebay for around $6 shipped

JLM
10-05-2014, 07:49 PM
pearce and jentra make one that works with the back straps installed

Pearce for the small frame 17/19 size is PGG4MF and you can pick up on ebay for around $6 shipped

Thank you!

David S.
10-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Thanks Jolly!

As JHC mentioned, yes it does change the grip angle to something more 1911-like. I always forget about that "benefit" because I never personally found it beneficial.

JonnyVain
10-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Hmmm I'll play. Gen 4 g19

1. Ghost 3.5 connector because gen 4 glocks are heavier than gen 3

2. I round off the point on the trigger bar so it passes over the pin block more smoothly.

3. Took down the nub on the side of the trigger bar. Gen 3s didn't have it and it adds friction. I like trigger resistance but not friction.

4. Round trigger guard. I used to grip high with my support hand. A round trigger guard made it easier to recover. Or that was the excuse I came up with because I thought it looked good.

5. Grip reduction. For me it isn't about angle, it's about recoil control. In a 5 shot in quick succession test, I almost halved my group vertically with a grip reduced glock.

6. Undercut trigger guard. Almost need to with a grip reduction due to downward hand rotation.

7. A-grip. Soft for carry yet grippy.

8. Discontinued Ameriglo .115 painted front sight with plain black rear. I don't like the distraction of painted rear sights.

pangloss
10-06-2014, 10:31 PM
I replace the factory sights with Warrens or 10-8 Performance sights. I have a Ghost connector in one pistol that I need to swap back out for the dot connector.

Texaspoff
10-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Just a few small things, Trijicon HD's, Reduction and various other frame work, and fitted KKM barrel. Fire controls are are left stock, although I do sometimes run with the OEM "_" Connector, just depends on how I feel that day..:)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/G19G42_zps93a8900f.jpg

TXPO

Irelander
10-07-2014, 08:41 AM
1. Remove finger grooves cuz they don't fit my hands
2. 360 stipple cuz the Gen3 factory texture is a joke
3. Round off the trigger guard cuz thats the way a pistol should look
4. Mag well finger cut outs in case of a sticky mag
5. Glock night sights cuz they are inexpensive and work
6. Vickers mag release cuz it is just right

Right now I only have one Glock, a Gen3 19. I am interested in trying the NY1 spring with the "-" connector. Is it better to use the "-" connector or the the newer "." connector with the NY1 trigger spring? I am planning to do the $0.25 trigger job this weekend.

JBP55
10-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Using a NY1 spring and a minus connector will give you a trigger pull of approximately 7.0#. Using the dot connector will bring the trigger pull to approximately 7.5#.
This will vary slightly from one Glock to another.

Irelander
10-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Using a NY1 spring and a minus connector will give you a trigger pull of approximately 7.0#. Using the dot connector will bring the trigger pull to approximately 7.5#.
This will vary slightly from one Glock to another.

Understood. Thank you.

Irelander
10-23-2014, 10:49 AM
I ordered the NY1 spring and the Glock OEM 3.5# connector today. It has already shipped from glockparts.com so hopefully I will have them in the next few days. I am excited to try it out.

JonInWA
10-23-2014, 12:19 PM
For a carry or dual carry/competition Glock, I prefer at least a 5.5 lb triggerpull. Depending on how the trigger action feels, I'll use either a dot or a minus connector; If I go the NY1 route, I'll concurrently go with a minus connector; if sticking with the coil trigger spring, I'll usually go the dot route (all of my Glocks are Gen 3s).

Best, Jon

medic15al
10-23-2014, 12:50 PM
If I had not abandoned my Glocks for the VP9 My second gen G17 would have Trijicon HDs in orange, hump taken off of back strap, 9mm or 357sig caliber, and wishing I could put HK paddle releases on it. ZEV trigger parts for great trigger.

Totem Polar
10-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Not that anyone should especially care what I do to my Glocks, but: since my 17 came with Ameriglo FO front/flat black U rear sights, I run it box stock.

My 42 is also box stock, but that will absolutely change once the right sights-and *any* trigger connector providing a lighter pull-come out.

SAWBONES
10-23-2014, 07:05 PM
I'll add my $ 0.2.
The below modifications apply to all eight of my 9mm and 45ACP Glocks.

Steel Glock sights with the rear notch milled out to .005" of the edges of the white plastic insert (i.e., as wide as possible)
or
plain black Heinie sights with the rear notch milled wide;

Glock or Lone Wolf extended slide stop lever, Wolff recoil guide rod and recoil spring (stock poundage or 1-2 lb heavier);

Wolff "extra power" striker spring;

"-" connector with all contact spots in the firing group polished (striker flange front face, rear extension of cruciform plate,
connector ramp, trigger bar rear extension, top of upward trigger bar extension, flat face of firing pin safety);

smooth Glock trigger if available (not for the G36);

Wolff or ISMI magazine springs.

Trigger pull weights are 4.0-5.0 lb. and clean.
Function is consistently reliable.

KVDT
10-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Aside from changing the trigger pull weight to 7lbs, what does the NY1 and minus connector do to the feel of the trigger and why does this set up seem popular on here? What am I missing out on by sticking with the factory Gen3 trigger setup?

Chuck Haggard
10-24-2014, 11:12 AM
The standard trigger spring is the one part I have seen regularly break on Glocks, which are normally pretty bomb proof.

That the NY1 also gives a felt resistance to the trigger pull all the way through is another thing I like. I think it's more street friendly.

Fire-Medic
10-24-2014, 11:19 AM
For stock(ish) Glocks that will be for CCW and not games I have always preferred to swap the factory springs in the entire pistol with springs from Wolff Gunsprings but all in the same factory weight setting.

YMMV

Chuck Haggard
10-24-2014, 11:24 AM
For stock(ish) Glocks that will be for CCW and not games I have always preferred to swap the factory springs in the entire pistol with springs from Wolff Gunsprings but all in the same factory weight setting.

YMMV

Why?

Fire-Medic
10-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Why?

In my non professional testing with my small amount of Glocks and shooting compared to the pros here the Wolff springs have yet to fail me. I have nothing documented it's just personal preference. When you say have a stock trigger spring next to a Wolff trigger spring the difference in quality/craftsmanship is very visible. Again as I said previously I'm not talking about getting any "lighter" or "heavier" springs, just replacing the stock springs with the same spec out of Wolff's catalog.

Many people have preferred their magazine springs for a long time, I just took that preference into the gun itself is all.

45dotACP
10-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Aside from changing the trigger pull weight to 7lbs, what does the NY1 and minus connector do to the feel of the trigger and why does this set up seem popular on here? What am I missing out on by sticking with the factory Gen3 trigger setup?

You're not missing out on much really. Some people don't like running into the "wall" that most glock triggers have. The NY1 spring provides a more rolling break and sometimes a more vigorous reset. It's also more durable than the return spring that comes stock. That said, I don't have a big problem with the stock setup on my G34. It's a nice trigger and breaks at about 4.5 lbs.

I am convinced however, that unless it's a ridiculous trigger like a NY2 spring, or a 20lb DA pull on a revolver...trigger weight is not a big contributing factor to how well a gun can be shot...crazy as it sounds.

Jeep
10-24-2014, 11:38 AM
The standard trigger spring is the one part I have seen regularly break on Glocks, which are normally pretty bomb proof.

That the NY1 also gives a felt resistance to the trigger pull all the way through is another thing I like. I think it's more street friendly.

This. Though I think this set up tends to work better on pre-Generation 4 Glocks.

Chuck Haggard
10-24-2014, 12:00 PM
In my non professional testing with my small amount of Glocks and shooting compared to the pros here the Wolff springs have yet to fail me. I have nothing documented it's just personal preference. When you say have a stock trigger spring next to a Wolff trigger spring the difference in quality/craftsmanship is very visible. Again as I said previously I'm not talking about getting any "lighter" or "heavier" springs, just replacing the stock springs with the same spec out of Wolff's catalog.

Many people have preferred their magazine springs for a long time, I just took that preference into the gun itself is all.

Springs, except for the noted trigger spring, have never been an issue in any of the Glocks that I have worked with, including the 350 or so we have issued out at work.

Just an observation.

LSP552
10-24-2014, 12:22 PM

Chuck,

Are you seeing the gray, newer, trigger springs still break?

Thanks

Ken

Chuck Haggard
10-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Chuck,

Are you seeing the gray, newer, trigger springs still break?

Thanks

Ken

I don't think I have, but then most of what I see now are the 9mms, and the vast majority of the broken trigger springs I have seen were on .40s

Jeep
10-24-2014, 03:29 PM
I don't think I have, but then most of what I see now are the 9mms, and the vast majority of the broken trigger springs I have seen were on .40s

Ever see a broken trigger on a Glock .40 (as in the tip of the trigger breaks off)? I had one on a Glock 22 with only around 7,000 rounds through it, but I don't know if it is a common issue or not.

Surf
10-24-2014, 07:53 PM
I shoot stock Glock's without issue however I prefer;

- Over molded fiber optic front sight (green then red), all black serrated rear.
- Vickers slide stop lever.
- Undercut trigger guard
- Radiused / de-horned sides of trigger guard
- Index cut, bottom of trigger guard with texture
- Texture index points on frame flats
- Finger grooves removed
- Texture front strap. Gen 4's texture is excellent
- Slight heat reduction of backstrap hump.
- Re-shape Gen 4 magazine release with texture
- Grip plug blended to magwell
- Heat shaped magwell / speedwell
- Magazine clearance cut bottom of frontstrap
- Minus or dot connector with standard spring
- Non serrated Gen 3 Trigger bar
- Tune components, de-horn, polish, re-contour

ST911
10-24-2014, 09:14 PM
I've seen broken coil trigger springs. Of the parts that do break in Glocks, they seem to be the most common. It was more common when the attachment hole in the trigger bar was smaller. It was enlarged a number of years ago. If the RSA isn't replaced, esp in .40 or .357 SIG, you may see a broken locking block pin, cracked locking block, or RSA tip break off.

Frightfully few aftermarket Glock anythings make the gun better, but an awful lot of them ruin it.

Gio
10-25-2014, 10:53 AM
I've seen broken coil trigger springs. Of the parts that do break in Glocks, they seem to be the most common. It was more common when the attachment hole in the trigger bar was smaller. It was enlarged a number of years ago. If the RSA isn't replaced, esp in .40 or .357 SIG, you may see a broken locking block pin, cracked locking block, or RSA tip break off.

Frightfully few aftermarket Glock anythings make the gun better, but an awful lot of them ruin it.

In my opinion, the trigger spring, slide stop lever and spring, and magazine spring (if you shoot/dry fire a lot) need to be replaced at least once a year. The recoil spring should be replaced at Glock's recommended intervals. I estimate that I put approximately 10,000 mag changes through my G35 last year in dry fire and live fire. I started having mags drop out occasionally under recoil from 175 pf .40 loads. I pulled the mag spring out and it had a slight bend in it rather than being perfectly straight like it is when it's new. The issue stopped after replacing it, and now it's part of my annual, post-season PM.

Short of sights, I find most aftermarket parts to really be unnecessary. I do prefer the - connector on my USPSA gun, but can't use those on my work guns.

Chuck Haggard
10-26-2014, 05:33 AM

^This^

I have lost track of how many Glock 22s that have stopped running during classes I have been at. Shooter tells me while I am looking at it "It's never jammed before", I find the trigger pin broken in two or three pieces and the locking block pin bent, I ask "When's the last time you replaced the recoil spring". The reaction is always somewhere between "Durrrrr" and that blank look my dog sometimes gives me when I am talking about work.

Artemas
10-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Granted Todd tried a number of different setups, I think the coil spring was the one factory part that didn't break on his endurance test :)

My 21 gen 4 is stock but with ameriglo Hack sights (think poor man's HD sights) and a NY1 trigger
My 19 gen 4 has a steel glock rear sight and a tritium front. Currently it has a stock coil spring as the NY1 seems to cause it to bind if the trigger is not in just the right place.

I found this to be an interesting read for those concerned about the coil spring breaking
http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=10

Irelander
10-29-2014, 04:54 PM
I got my NY1 trigger spring and "-" connector and I am really liking this setup so far with dry practice. Will hopefully get some live fire in soon.

Rex G
11-01-2014, 11:23 AM
I am still working my way through all of the replies. I am thankful for the input!

When I used Glocks for duty and carry from 2002 into early 2005, I used 3.5# connectors and NY-1 trigger springs, except for one G22 with a NY-2. The NY-2 was intended to be temporary, as supplies of NY-1 were out, but then I ended up leaving it in place, as it was only detectable as being heavier if I really paid very close attention. (I had previously learned to shoot a DA revolver well enough, regardless of trigger pull weight, from factory-spec to 'smithed.)

These Glocks generally had Heinie Straight-8 sights, except for a G24 with a Bo-Mar set-up. I did not stipple or otherwise alter the gripping areas, as my employer did not clearly allow this, at the time, and I wanted to keep all of the guns very close to the same. These Glocks were Third-Generation, except for the G24, which was an earlier model, as pre-Third-Generation Glocks tended to point low in my hands.

When I discovered the factory slim trigger option for the SIG P229, and the DAK was introduced, I switched to the SIG system, starting in late 2004. By late 2011, however, arthritis entered the picture, with the .40's snappy recoil, and the SIGs' high bore axis, combining to make training and quals a miserable event. I bought a G17 in Spring 2012, in anticipation of my chief signing a well-researched policy change allowing 9mm as an alternate duty pistol cartridge. (He did not sign it, however.)

My G17 is Third-Generation, and I have left it stock, except for a Surefire X300. I recently acquired a pair of Fourth-Generation G19 pistols, one with Trijicon three-dot night sights, and the other with stock sights. If I transfer to a plain-clothed assignment, I can qual with, and carry, a G19 as a primary duty pistol; I can use my 9mm Glocks now, freely, when off the clock, or as "back-up" weapons while at work.

My present Glocks will probably have their stock plastic sights replaced soon; this is largely why I am reading this thread topic. The serrated G19 triggers will, likely, be replaced with smooth factory triggers. I will leave the factory springs in place, except for replacement with factory springs, as that is my employer's new policy. (I may start using an NY-1 in the G17, if I confirm it is OK with the firearms unit.) The Fourth-Generation Glocks will need no stippling or grip alterations, being quite close to perfect for me, though the G17 may receive some minor sculpting, as grip alterations are now deemed acceptable.

Surf
11-01-2014, 03:57 PM
You must always remain within policy guidelines. Keeping this in mind, my above post contains my own personal preferences, however per employer specs I shoot a Gen4 G21 with a dot connector, standard spring, Glock night sights, option of standard or extended slide stop and an X300. Of course there are no other modifications allowed, so pretty much a factory Glock. I shoot it extremely well, but I do have a preference for my own personally owned weapons.

Sasage
01-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Sorry to the resurrect the dead... however, does the minus connector and the NY1 trigger spring mimic the trigger pull on the SW M&P triggers?

Steve m
01-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Vickers Mag release- Easier for me to get too
Slight sanding of trigger guard on right side- strictly comfort for me
Grip plug, Jentra -i like the looks of them and they help my reloads
light polish on trigger internals
Smoothe Glock 17 trigger, for my 19's- I just like them better
replace sights- current favorites are Ameriglo CAP fronts and plain black rear

JHC
01-13-2015, 04:24 PM
Sorry to the resurrect the dead... however, does the minus connector and the NY1 trigger spring mimic the trigger pull on the SW M&P triggers?

No I don't think so. Not based on most users of that set up reports and my experimentation. NY1/minus gives a relatively consistent heavy pull - some equate to a DA revolver pull but I didn't find that to be accurate.

Nothing like any M&P semi trigger I've ever pulled.

DiscipulusArmorum
01-13-2015, 05:04 PM
No I don't think so. Not based on most users of that set up reports and my experimentation. NY1/minus gives a relatively consistent heavy pull - some equate to a DA revolver pull but I didn't find that to be accurate.

Nothing like any M&P semi trigger I've ever pulled.

I'd agree. I've experimented with NY1/Minus Connector in a 3rd gen G19 and own two M&Ps. The weight on the NY1/Minus combo might be in the neighborhood of some of the heavier M&P factory triggers I've pulled, but everything else feels fairly different.

bglimpse
01-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Is there an equivalent "-" connector/NY1 setup for the Gen4 or will the setup work in both guns? I'm currently running Gen3 G17's but plan to pick up a couple Gen4 G26's soon. I would like the triggers as consistent as possible.

JBP55
01-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Is there an equivalent "-" connector/NY1 setup for the Gen4 or will the setup work in both guns? I'm currently running Gen3 G17's but plan to pick up a couple Gen4 G26's soon. I would like the triggers as consistent as possible.

The same set up will work in Gen 4 Glock and the trigger pull will be approximately 8 oz. heavier than the same set up in a Gen 3 Glock.