PDA

View Full Version : Adding a SIRT to my toolbox

SafeHomeFT
06-18-2013, 09:58 AM
So what is the general consensus among Instructors? Is it worth the money to incorporate a SIRT into training toolbox or not?

Also, along those same lines I have seen a training simulator that projects on the screen, allows you to create your own scenarios (looks kind of cheesy....) for about $2500. Thoughts?

Just trying to find viable training options for students to give quality training but lower their capital outlay due to tight ammo supplies.

Thanks

Up1911Fan
06-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm not an instructor but i've seen a benefit to using my SIRT. I would buy it again. I dry fire a lot more since I got it.

orionz06
06-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Not an instructor either but with the shooters I have helped I have supplemented live fire with the SIRT and based on my "curriculum" have saved each person about 500 rounds in a few hours a pop. I have also noted that each shooter had their live fire times improve with SIRT work. In many cases it replaces live fire.

I can't say that if I were an instructor that I would buy 10 of them but they would be well used.

I think $2500 would be better spend on SIRT's vs the other option as SIRT's are portable and can be used for more than just that.

Chuck Haggard
06-21-2013, 11:05 AM
On top of what most people use the SIRTs for I have added them to my OC classes for use during the practical exposure part of the training. Lots safer than using Sims or airsoft.

JHC
06-21-2013, 11:11 AM
I was skeptical until my oldest son visited on leave last Christmas. While I put 8-10K rounds out last year; he got about 600 through a pistol. But he worked relentlessly with the SIRT. At home; on staff duty; snap snap snap.

At 50 yards slowfire with a G19 he shot 5" groups of 5 to my 12" with a 17. He beat me in the VTAC 1-5 by almost 2 seconds. And we were near parity when he'd left the year prior. Convinced me.

ST911
06-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Who has the best pricing on these SIRT units for individual and/or GOV purchasing?

pr1042
06-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Best pricing I've seen and I've bought from here

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Sirt&Submit=Go

Chuck Haggard
06-21-2013, 08:14 PM
The Modern Service Weapons site has a discount code posted, 10% off I think.

orionz06
06-21-2013, 09:03 PM
There are always a few codes, I got mine with 25% off.

SafeHomeFT
07-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks to all who commented. I am convinced as soon as funds allow it will be added to the training toolbox!

Thanks

pdb
07-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Hey, SIRT folks, do I want a plastic or metal slide, and why?

Thanks!

orionz06
07-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Plastic. Because money.

Up1911Fan
07-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Plastic. Because money.

This. I have the plastic slide model and added a set of Defoor sights. With good sights i'm in it about $210.

Byron
07-02-2013, 08:41 AM
I have one metal slide SIRT (green/red) and one plastic slide SIRT (red/red).

If I was starting over, I would go with the plastic slide for cost savings, but I would spend the extra money for the green laser version. I really like the added visibility, especially when in bright conditions (like outdoors).

I still think the red/red version is great, it just doesn't handle as wide a range of lighting conditions as the green/red does. I still use my red/red plenty, but if I only had one SIRT, I would like having the extra functionality of the green.

LOKNLOD
07-02-2013, 09:16 PM

If I was starting over, I would go with the plastic slide for cost savings, but I would spend the extra money for the green laser version. I really like the added visibility, especially when in bright conditions (like outdoors).

I still think the red/red version is great, it just doesn't handle as wide a range of lighting conditions as the green/red does. I still use my red/red plenty, but if I only had one SIRT, I would like having the extra functionality of the green.

I tend to agree with this.

Personally, I've found almost no use for the trigger take-up (red) laser, I'd be pretty happy with a plastic slide SIRT with the switch and second laser removed, and just a green shot-break laser. I realize that doesn't save a huge cost but thats still a few extra unnecessary parts that could be omitted.

orionz06
07-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Get the green laser with the plastic slide. No reason for metal. If by chance you throw it out of a train and it breaks they will probably take care of it.

Spr1
07-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Can the trigger be set up to mimic the P30 TLG LEM?

jlw
07-29-2013, 10:03 AM
I just ordered several of these for the SO. I will assign them to the firearms instructors in each division. The instructors will be responsible for administering a regular training/coaching routine with all of the personnel within their division.

crossrifles
10-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Very good training tool, I've converted my garage into a range with unlimited potential.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/30/uqumatem.jpg
I've placed other targets on cardboard backing with stands to use as barricades by flipping them around. A step ladder can be very useful to simulate shooting underneath a vehicle.(bungy cord 2x4's to reduce clearance, hence the bottom targets)
I haven't incorporated the SIRT into range quals yet, but I plan on it.

littlejerry
10-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Exactly what I needed to hear. I'm anxiously awaiting a bonus from work and was trying to decide between red/red and red/green. I want to be able to use it outdoors at the range if necessary.

Maybe even practice on squirrels in the backyard.