PDA

View Full Version : Dry Fire Question

John Ralston
05-04-2011, 05:29 PM
This came up on a thread I started about Dry Firing a P30 with LEM Trigger.

You only get the Pre-Cocked trigger weight on the first shot in dry fire, and in order to cycle the hammer again you must let the trigger all the way out (unlike the shorter reset of the LEM during actual firing). This makes the gun into a DAO for multiple shot strings.

Will doing this negatively impact my live fire shooting by ingraining the longer reset? I have not seen that yet.

joshs
05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
It depends on what your split times are and what you want them to be. It is possible to shoot fast splits while releasing the trigger the whole way (I hear some people shoot those funny guns with round things in the middle pretty quickly), but it is almost always faster to move the trigger less. If you don't feel like you are waiting on your trigger finger to catch up with the sights, then you are probably shooting as fast as you can see and the shorter reset is unimportant at your current level. But, as you learn to see faster, taking advantage of the shorter reset will become more important. Also, the less you move the trigger, the less likely you are to introduce unwanted movement into the pistol.