PDA

View Full Version : Glock Improvements

jbmilitary006
05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
I have been shooting a G19 for about the last 3 yrs. The only thing I have done is put some Warren Tactical sights and a 3.5ib connector. My question is, are there any other improvements I can make without affecting the reliability of the Glock? For instance, drop in triggers, trigger springs, after market barrels, strikers, etc.

TAP
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
What are you trying to achieve?

Any internal mods have the potential to affect reliability.

JV_
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
My Glocks are setup similarly, my only suggestion is quality instruction and ammo.

jlw
05-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I recently has an extended slide stop go bad on during a match. I will be switching back to standard releases.

I change the sights on mine, and usually switch grooved triggers for smooth faced triggers. I'm not big on the minus connects, and I only have one in a kit on a competition pistol.

Kyle Reese
05-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Is your Glock 19 falling short in the realm of accuracy or reliability right now? If not, I'd avoid the temptation to transform your utilitarian pistol into a polymer Barbie doll with "upgrades" that could compromise it's overall reliability.

I have been shooting a G19 for about the last 3 yrs. The only thing I have done is put some Warren Tactical sights and a 3.5ib connector. My question is, are there any other improvements I can make without affecting the reliability of the Glock? For instance, drop in triggers, trigger springs, after market barrels, strikers, etc.

LittleLebowski
05-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Vickers mag release and slide release. An NY1 spring if you can handle the stiffer trigger. That's it. Take some classes, rinse repeat.

JHC
05-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Vickers mag release .

+1 I never bothered with these until the Gen 4's (and 2400 rds with an M&P) last year spoiled me. The Vickers unit is worthwhile.

jbmilitary006
05-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone. I forgot to add I was also running a Vickers slide stop and extended mag release. I appreciate all the input, just wanted to see if I could achieve better accuracy with upgrades. Its not that my G19 is not accurate, but its not a 1911.

Magsz
05-08-2011, 11:04 PM
I see the 3.5 lb connector advocated quite often.

Are you guys a fan of this because of the rolling break or the fact that it lightens the trigger ever so slightly?

Ive tried all variations in my G19 and i cannot seem to settle on anything that i find acceptable.

I think this is mostly because the 3.5 connectors leave alot of over travel in the system and the stock 5.0lb connectors result in a 6.0+ pound trigger. Ive spent the past three years running 4.5 pound triggers in my M&P's and i find that pull weight to be ideal for me.

I simply cannot find an adequate combo of parts for my Glocks without sacrificing durability. Anyone got any suggestions?

jlw
05-08-2011, 11:45 PM

Are you guys a fan of this because of the rolling break or the fact that it lightens the trigger ever so slightly?

Ive tried all variations in my G19 and i cannot seem to settle on anything that i find acceptable.

I think this is mostly because the 3.5 connectors leave alot of over travel in the system and the stock 5.0lb connectors result in a 6.0+ pound trigger. Ive spent the past three years running 4.5 pound triggers in my M&P's and i find that pull weight to be ideal for me.

I simply cannot find an adequate combo of parts for my Glocks without sacrificing durability. Anyone got any suggestions?

Have you tried the minus connector with the NY1 spring?

fuse
05-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Have you tried the minus connector with the NY1 spring?

This.

Radically different feel than the stock coil trigger spring. Yes it will be heavier, but with the benefit of the holy "rolling break" everyone is after. All praise be to it.

Magsz
05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
I certainly have, my biggest gripe is that its fatiguing to shoot. I guess i have weak index fingers but i find myself tiring way quicker than normal during my average range sessions.

I wish we could replicate the feel of the NY1 but with a slightly lighter pull.

Pennzoil
05-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I like the minus connector with NY1 spring but the extra weight mixed in with the trigger safety blistered up my finger pretty bad in the last 1 day basic VSM class I tried it in. Normally I could care less about a bad blister but had Mike Pannone's 2 day class the next week so I went back to stock setup and never switched back. If I didn't have soft sissy hands:o from wearing latex gloves 40-50 hrs a week I think it wouldn't of been an issue.

I managed to break the plastic on my NY1 spring while doing drills and I only noticed it felt slightly mushy suddenly but still carried on like a champ for the rest of the day. I replaced it because it was my primary gun but think it would of carried on fine if I didn't have any other option.

johnson
06-03-2011, 03:08 PM
I certainly have, my biggest gripe is that its fatiguing to shoot. I guess i have weak index fingers but i find myself tiring way quicker than normal during my average range sessions.

I wish we could replicate the feel of the NY1 but with a slightly lighter pull.

Try the NY1 with the coil removed.

I'm using a LWD 3.5lb connector with NY1 (with coil removed) and am getting just under 4.5lb smooth (rolling) pull with my G19.

JHC
06-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Just the "-" connector here. I generally cannot detect over travel. :o
And I do this for shaving off that pound - especially being convinced that the ratio of trigger weight to gun weight is factor numero uno.

DocGKR
06-04-2011, 05:11 PM
After trying virtually every combination of parts in Glocks over the past 20 years, I strongly prefer the "-" connector and stock trigger return spring...

The Glock OEM "-" connector and stock trigger return spring generally gives a trigger pull a bit over 5 lbs measured mid trigger in most of the Glocks we have tested.

The Glock OEM "-" connector and NY1 trigger return spring generally gives a trigger pull of 7-8 lbs measured mid trigger in most of the Glocks we have tested.

The stock Glock OEM "5.5 lb" connector and stock trigger return spring generally gives a trigger pull a bit over 6 lbs measured mid trigger in most of the Glocks we have tested.

The stock Glock OEM "5.5 lb" connector and NY1 trigger return spring generally gives a trigger pull around 7-8 lbs measured mid trigger in most of the Glocks we have tested.

zRxz
06-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Vicker's slide and magazine releases. Grip plug. Warren Tactical two-dots, with the front painted orange. Crimson Trace 417s. TLR-1 for a weapon light (the 200+ dollar flash lights go on rifles).

Magsz
06-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Try the NY1 with the coil removed.

I'm using a LWD 3.5lb connector with NY1 (with coil removed) and am getting just under 4.5lb smooth (rolling) pull with my G19.

Gen 3 or 4? I could not get this combo under 6.5 pounds in my gun. Now, granted ive only tried a "factory" 3.5 lb connector and my ghost rocket. Im wondering if perhaps the LWD 3.5 lb connector lightens the pull even more? Any insight into this?

DocGKR
06-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Keep in mind when measuring trigger pull weight, it can be important on exactly where on the trigger the measurement is made. We generally use right at the trigger mid-point...

dickmadison
06-05-2011, 05:07 PM
I just tried the 3.5 connector with the NY1 spring. One word. Horrible. Heavy rolling break...yeah no thanks. What I thought it was going to do was give me a lighter than the 5.5 pull but with a crisper (not rolling) break. Not so. I removed it immediately. I know a lot of people advocate it and love the stronger reset...but it seemed horrible to me.

I'm not sure if there is a lighter trigger that feels like the 5.5 with the take up and crisper break, but I would be open to try it. Right now I use a scherer 3.5...I really like it but I was trying to find something more like a light 2 stage to see if it improved my shooting but to no avail as of yet.

Steve m
06-21-2011, 03:19 AM
(Ameriglo Pro-glo sights, vickers, mag release, .25C triger job) x2 glock 19, (sevigney carry rear, warrem fiber optic front, glock extended mag release, .25C trigger job)x1 glock 17, (glock factory night sights, vickers mag release .25C trigger job, sure fire x3000) work glock 19

Shoot the snot outa them , thats about all I do. Nothing fancy or expensive, I try to stay with one platform after great advice by smarter people than me.