PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Dot Torture

Jay Cunningham
06-14-2013, 07:33 AM
I run this on the lower section of my LSHD Target (http://protectiveshootingconcepts.com/lshd-gear/) (shameless plug) but any series of 2" - 3" dots will work. Don't stack the dots right on top of each other because then the holdovers are easy to game.

Carbine Dot Torture

Start at 5 yards. You have to get all 50 hits to pass. Take the time to score and tape (misses outside the white dots) between each string of fire. This will take a little longer but give you the maximum benefit from accurate scoring.

Part 1:

Dot 1 – Present from low ready and fire one string of 5 rounds for best group. One hole if possible, total 5 rounds.

Dot 2 – Present from low ready and fire 1 shot, return to low ready and repeat X4, total 5 rounds.

Dots 3 & 4 – Present from low ready and fire 1 shot on #3, then 1 shot on #4, return to low ready and repeat X3, total 8 rounds.

Dot 5 – Present from low ready and fire string of 5 rounds, strong hand only (only one hand on the gun), total 5 rounds.

TAPE ENTIRE TARGET

Part 2:

Dots 1 & 2 – Present from low ready and fire 2 shots on #1, then 2 on #2, return to low ready, repeat X4, total 16 rounds.

Dot 5 – From low ready, transition to weak shoulder & fire five shots, total 5 rounds.

Dots 3 & 4 – Present from low ready and fire 1 shot on #3, emergency reload, fire 1 shot on #4, return to low ready and repeat X3, total 6 rounds.

If you can easily kill this, then start adding an extra yard to your distance from target. With 3" circles you can easily work out to 25 yards with practice.

Jay Cunningham
03-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Figured I’d give this a bump for some carbine fun. We still talk about shooting guns here occasionally.

cornstalker
03-24-2019, 08:11 AM
Figured I’d give this a bump for some carbine fun. We still talk about shooting guns here occasionally.

In your opinion, does the original dot torture target have the dots too close together for carbine?

Jay Cunningham
03-24-2019, 08:40 AM
To use as a carbine drill? Oh yeah absolutely.

For the original intended pistol drill or test, it’s perfectly fine.

edited to add: part of this is the offset accountability, and dots stacked on top of each other lets you game it.

breakingtime91
03-24-2019, 09:59 AM
I ran this with two airforce officers getting ready to deploy. Both enjoyed it and learned a lot even at that distance. Their prior training was lacking and I was really happy that I got to help two soon to be deploying gentleman out.

Jay Cunningham
03-24-2019, 10:20 AM
That is very good to hear.

Jay Cunningham
03-24-2019, 10:24 AM
Note: the SHO string is meant to be started at a ready position STRONG HAND ONLY.

Yes, I know (boo hoo hoo) that’s it’s HARD (boo hoo hoo) to heft your 13 lb. carbine up and then settle in on the sights.

Maybe if your carbine is so damn heavy or simply front-heavy (poorly balanced) that might be a clue...

breakingtime91
03-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Note: the SHO string is meant to be started at a ready position STRONG HAND ONLY.

Yes, I know (boo hoo hoo) that’s it’s HARD (boo hoo hoo) to heft your 13 lb. carbine up and then settle in on the sights.

Maybe if your carbine is so damn heavy or simply front-heavy (poorly balanced) that might be a clue...

One of the guys had a bunch of junk on his carbine and literally said "holy shit, I can barely handle it from the low ready." We discussed the essentials to a carbine: optic, light/laser/ sling. Both of them have the essentials and no more on their carbine now. Should be noted both gentleman have the choice between an Acog or Red dot, both of chosen a red dot. Mission drives the gear.

cornstalker
03-24-2019, 04:48 PM
5 Yards. BCM Recce 14, Trij MRO. Cheap Federal practice ammo.
49/50. Fail.

Missed one by forgetting to holdover. Stupid mistake. I cursed as soon as the shot broke. Almost did it twice, but nipped the line the second time.

I just splattered 10 2" dots up with enough spacing to eliminate providing an aiming point for the lower circles. Turned out my transitions were right-to-left and down, except for the 1R1 stage which I shot on dots eight and nine.

Takeaways.
This might be easier from futher away.
I need to get some AR mag pouches. I did my reloads, (if you could call it that), from a pocket.
I have had almost no training, and definitely no formal training on an AR. I probably should look in to that.
The SHO and lefty strings were easier than I expected, although I did go super slow.

Doc_Glock
03-24-2019, 05:34 PM
5 Yards. BCM Recce 14, Trij MRO. Cheap Federal practice ammo.
49/50. Fail.

Missed one by forgetting to holdover. Stupid mistake. I cursed as soon as the shot broke. Almost did it twice, but nipped the line the second time.

I just splattered 10 2" dots up with enough spacing to eliminate providing an aiming point for the lower circles. Turned out my transitions were right-to-left and down, except for the 1R1 stage which I shot on dots eight and nine.

Takeaways.
This might be easier from futher away.
I need to get some AR mag pouches. I did my reloads, (if you could call it that), from a pocket.
I have had almost no training, and definitely no formal training on an AR. I probably should look in to that.
The SHO and lefty strings were easier than I expected, although I did go super slow.

That was good. I need to break out the AR. It has been several years at this point.