PDA

View Full Version : PMAG 20 Gen 3 magazines - are they better than the old PMAG 20 Gen 2?

Little Creek
06-11-2013, 01:05 PM
I just bought 5. I like the idea of being able to store the carbine with a magazine seated in a soft case. They are easier to use when shooting off a bench. I have heard that the old ones suck. My old ones work just fine. I do like the new ones better, but I have not yet had a chance to use any of them. Anyone have any expierence with the new ones.

Cookie Monster
06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Where did you pick them up?

Haven't been about to find any.

Cookie Monster

Suvorov
06-11-2013, 04:39 PM
You know, the first I have ever heard of any widespread issues with the 20 round Pmags has been today on this forum in two separate threads.

I have been using 20 round Pmags for a few years (converted to 10 rounders) and have never had a single issue. Granted I'm not eating snakes and kicking doors with them, but they are getting used. By far the best reduced capacity mags I own for the AR platform.

So I am curious, what gives :confused:

TGS
06-11-2013, 09:59 PM
You know, the first I have ever heard of any widespread issues with the 20 round Pmags has been today on this forum in two separate threads.

I have been using 20 round Pmags for a few years (converted to 10 rounders) and have never had a single issue. Granted I'm not eating snakes and kicking doors with them, but they are getting used. By far the best reduced capacity mags I own for the AR platform.

So I am curious, what gives :confused:

Dunno, but one of my buddies has some. They work in one of his ARs, but not his other AR.

Little Creek
06-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Where did you pick them up?

Haven't been about to find any.

Cookie Monster

I got them from Primary Arms. Did a notify me thing on line. For the first time, i got to them before they sold out.

My old Gen 2 PMAG 30 and PMAG 20 magazines work just fine. I can see how the Gen 3 magazines appear to be an improvement.

Suvorov
06-12-2013, 09:33 AM
My old Gen 2 PMAG 30 and PMAG 20 magazines work just fine. I can see how the Gen 3 magazines appear to be an improvement.

Well, there is a difference between a product improvement and a re-design of a faulty product.

Can you please point me in the direction that will explain why the PMAG 20s are faulty? :confused:

Byron
06-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I have a bunch of 20 round PMAGs, purchased years ago. Don't know the exact manufacturing date, but given how long ago I purchased them, I'm sure they are Gen 1.

The only problem that I've ever experienced with them is that they don't always lock the bolt to the rear when the gun runs empty. They've never caused me any feeding issues, however.

It's possible that my BAD levers are contributing to this failure-to-lock-back, but I'll note that this problem never happens when I use any 30 rd mag, including 30 round PMAGs of various generations.

It's also possible that I could solve the problem with stronger mag springs, though I've never bothered to try. I only use the 20 rd mags when shooting from the bench, during which the failure to lock back doesn't really matter to me.

If newer 20 rd PMAGs are better in this regard, then I might one day consider purchasing some for a wider variety of uses. But for now I'm done with acquiring more mags. I've recently been cleaning up around the house and I keep finding PMAGs that I've randomly stuffed into drawers, boxes, or shelves, and long since forgotten. It's a neat feeling... like when you find $40 in a coat that you haven't worn in months.

Little Creek
06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Well, there is a difference between a product improvement and a re-design of a faulty product.

Can you please point me in the direction that will explain why the PMAG 20s are faulty? :confused:

Someone who is a professional trainer and a regular contributor to this forum was responding to someone else's post by adding that PMAG 20 magazines suck. I do not remember where in this forum I saw that post.

It is noteworthy that Magpul discontinued the PMAG 20 Gen 2 while they continue to make the PMAG 30 Gen 2 alongside the Gen 3. They must have had a reason. There might not be enought demand for PMAG 20s to maintain production of both generations of PMAG 20s.

I admit that my Gen 2 PMAG 20s have probably not seen extended use. I have probably fired less than 2,000 rounds 5.56 out of my m4s.

Suvorov
06-13-2013, 04:18 PM
It is noteworthy that Magpul discontinued the PMAG 20 Gen 2 while they continue to make the PMAG 30 Gen 2 alongside the Gen 3. They must have had a reason. There might not be enought demand for PMAG 20s to maintain production of both generations of PMAG 20s.

Well, that explains why they don't seem to be finding there way back in stock. I'd like to know what the issues are, maybe I'd do a little snooping around.

THX

LSP972
06-15-2013, 09:28 AM
I'd like to know what the issues are, maybe I'd do a little snooping around.

THX

If yours are working fine for you, why worry about it? FWIW, I have a few of them of unknown vintage that have no issues under the admittedly limited use I've put them too; and they are stored unloaded. OTOH, I was given a 30 round PMag some years back, and kept it loaded in a war bag... With the feed lip cover snapped into place.

Earlier this year, I rotated that magazine to the training pile; and found that the feed lips had spread and feeding reliability was sporadic.

Personally, I have never understood this near-orgasmic euphoria over MagPul magazines, nor the "hatred" for the good old aluminum GI mag. I have been using the latter for a VERY long time with no issues other than normal attrition. I prefer the straight 20 round aluminum magazine (downloaded by two rounds) to all others; even when I was kicking doors for real.

BWT
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
If yours are working fine for you, why worry about it? FWIW, I have a few of them of unknown vintage that have no issues under the admittedly limited use I've put them too; and they are stored unloaded. OTOH, I was given a 30 round PMag some years back, and kept it loaded in a war bag... With the feed lip cover snapped into place.

Earlier this year, I rotated that magazine to the training pile; and found that the feed lips had spread and feeding reliability was sporadic.

Personally, I have never understood this near-orgasmic euphoria over MagPul magazines, nor the "hatred" for the good old aluminum GI mag. I have been using the latter for a VERY long time with no issues other than normal attrition. I prefer the straight 20 round aluminum magazine (downloaded by two rounds) to all others; even when I was kicking doors for real.

I agree about Aluminum magazines, However! The Magpul anti-tilt follower is worth it!

Little Creek
07-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Picked up a couple of the PMAG 10, Gen 3 magazines from a gun shop and one PMAG 40 Gen 3 from MidwayUSA. I ran one magazine full through all three yesterday in my DDM4V7lw. No issues, but that is hardly a comprehensive test. I love those PMAG Gen 3 magazines. Everyone I have tried in 10, 20, 30, and 40 has worked flawlessly from the get go. But, all the "old" PMAG 20 and 30 "Gen 2" magazines did as well.