PDA

View Full Version : +P... is there really a plus?

seabiscuit
05-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey all, trying to figure out what ammo I'll carry in my Glock 26. I've got Winchester PDX1 147gr in it right now, but wanted to go to a lighter round for increased velocity, especially out of that short barrel.

Looking at Remington Golden Sabers - here (http://www.remington.com/comparison.aspx)'s a comparison of velocities and energies for their 124gr and 124gr +P. The +P has about 10% more energy and about 5% more velocity at 0, 50, and 100 (feet, I think, but the page doesn't say).

Any thoughts? Is +P a lot harder to shoot accurately than standard? Is the increased power worth any reduction in shootability or accuracy?

John Ralston
05-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't find much difference in recoil with Speer Gold Dot +P. The extra pressure does insure that the weapon cycles and probably gives you more consistent expansion.

David Armstrong
05-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I can't address the G26, but unless I'm looking for it I don't notice the difference between +p and standard ammo in my G17 or G19.

DocGKR
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
We do all our testing with a 4" 9 mm, there is no significant change in terminal performance when dropping down to a 3.5" barrel...

Pick the ammo that is most reliable, accurate, and easiest to purchase for your specific situation from the ones listed here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

seabiscuit
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
We do all our testing with a 4" 9 mm, there is no significant change in terminal performance when dropping down to a 3.5" barrel...

Pick the ammo that is most reliable, accurate, and easiest to purchase for your specific situation from the ones listed here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Thanks, Doc.

Did you test the 124gr Golden Saber? Did it expand or penetrate less reliably than the 147gr?

Chuck Haggard
05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
We issue the 124gr +P Gold Dot at my job, we have found this to be a very reliable round. The extra impulse to the slide helps insure that the gun will function even when dirty, lacking lube, shot from a position other than flat footed on a square range by an officer who might be injured or firing one handed, etc.

JHC
05-03-2011, 11:50 AM
I can't address the G26, but unless I'm looking for it I don't notice the difference between +p and standard ammo in my G17 or G19.

Same here. I gravitate to 124 grain +P because I have come to believe that this provides an additional element of functioning reliability in the Glock platform.

John Ralston
05-03-2011, 12:20 PM
We issue the 124gr +P Gold Dot at my job, we have found this to be a very reliable round. The extra impulse to the slide helps insure that the gun will function even when dirty, lacking lube, shot from a position other than flat footed on a square range by an officer who might be injured or firing one handed, etc.

That's the load I carry in my CCW Rig - I don't notice any recoil difference between it and 115 grain practice rounds.