PDA

View Full Version : P30 magazine-release paddle breakage

gvsmovcd
06-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Got to shoot a P30 9mm over the weekend. The pistol I shot had the right-side of the magazine-release paddle broken off. I found this disconcerting; imagine if both sides broke off. Could the operator release the magazine?

I asked the owner how it happened and he said he doesn't know. He just noticed it was broken after a range session. Since he shoots right handed he hasn't bothered trying to get it fixed.

Anybody heard of this before? I assumed an important piece like that would be so durable that it would be very hard to break.

ToddG
06-03-2013, 06:11 PM
I've never heard of one breaking. Given the construction, I'm hard pressed to imagine how it could happen unless the gun was smashed into something pretty violently. The whole mag release is a single solid piece of polymer. Something had to crack it or shear that one wing off. Very odd...

gvsmovcd
06-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I've never heard of one breaking. Given the construction, I'm hard pressed to imagine how it could happen unless the gun was smashed into something pretty violently. The whole mag release is a single solid piece of polymer. Something had to crack it or shear that one wing off. Very odd...

It was broken off more or less down the middle of the trigger guard. The left-side paddle was fully operational though.

Todd, you are more familiar with the P30 than I. If both sides did break off, operator would likely be unable to drop the mag right?

ToddG
06-03-2013, 06:54 PM
If BOTH "sides" fell off, it's possible the catch itself would be completely missing at that point and the mag wouldn't stay in the gun.

I'd say you're more likely to get hit by both a lightning bolt and a meteor the day you win the lottery, though...

gvsmovcd
06-03-2013, 06:55 PM
If BOTH "sides" fell off, it's possible the catch itself would be completely missing at that point and the mag wouldn't stay in the gun.

I'd say you're more likely to get hit by both a lightning bolt and a meteor the day you win the lottery, though...

lol, good to know