PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9c mag' follower/catch problem

CLBME
06-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a new M&P 9c. I have a problem with the mag' follower/tab that protrudes into the mag' well. I've Googled the problem, finding a couple of threads, however, no one noted what caused the problem or how it was fixed by S&W. I'm hoping someone here might know.

The problem:

There is a tab that is bent inward into the mag' well from the slide catch "yoke". (Not sure of the technical item description.) This tab doesn't fall on top of the magazine follower, instead it rides beside it. This hangs the mag' up when empty.

The problem seems two-fold: One, the tab that is bent inward isn't bent at the rear flush to the "yoke". This would prevent it from moving in a bit farther and ends up being bent "clockwise" too much, effectively missing the follower notch. Two, the follower actually tilts to the right in the magazine. I can push the follower down and under the tab but it immediately pops back up when I release pressure.

I've attached a picture of the problem. Thank you for any help/insight.

Christian
http://imageshack.us/a/img811/13/mpmagcatch001.jpg

CLBME
06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Smith & Wesson customer service has asked that the pistol be returned after discussing it with them on the phone. Customer service said it definitely wasn't right. I will update this thread for future reference when it returns.

mclenniston
06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
A friend of mine had this problem with his 9c. Turned out to be a bad follower. We compared the follower on his mag to one of mine for my 9c and were able to determine a difference in the shape of the ridge that rides against said "tab" in the gun. The short version of the story is that he replaced the follower and all is well. A pretty cheap fix - Smith and Wesson will send you free followers for this problem. This happened I believe on his 10 rd. mag - mine are all 12 round and have no issues.

In other words - not a gun issue, a mag follower issue, I'm betting...