PDA

View Full Version : What Drill Would Help Me Cure This??

entropy
05-31-2013, 08:46 PM
I have lurked and read here for quite a while. Fantastic site. I have an issue that I have struggled with for years, and have once and for all decided I want to cure. I did a search, but have not found any threads particular to my specific issue.

Here is the issue.

I am issued an HK LEM (heavy trigger variant). While I have shot it "sucessfully" for a number of years, I have hit a wall with my performance. Without CONSTANT practice and dryfire, I have a nasty tendancy to squeeze the three fingers on the grip while working through that second stage. I KNOW what I'm doing. I just can't seem to find the drill or discipline that will help me overcome it. I've done the dot drills, ball/dummy....all work to a certain extent, but I REALLY WANT to MASTER this trigger. I cannot modify it an any way. It must be bone stock.

I know the LEM is a different beast. I'm hoping that someone here who has struggled with the same issue can throw a bone my direction. For the record, I also shoot a M&P FS in 9mm WITHOUT the same issue.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Jay Cunningham
05-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Why do you shoot the M&P without the same issue?

ToddG
05-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Wall Drill (http://pistol-training.com/drills/wall-drill)

The major issue is probably that you're treating it like two separate stages. Don't stop moving the trigger once you begin.

entropy
06-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Appreciate the feedback.

Yes, done the Wall Drill. I am determined to master this and will use it again as part of my latest effort.

I have noticed that any sizable period of non-practice causes a substantial drop-off in my skill with this platform. Most others (S&W M&P, DA/SA Sig etc) there is a deteroration in speed and accuracy for certain, but not like the LEM. The LEM is nearly exponential in this regard.

I have read here (from you Todd) and from others (elsewhere) on the need to treat the LEM like a traditional DA when it comes to the trigger, no staging, smooth seamless pull, etc. The only problem with this is that I was initially taught to stage this trigger on the press out, and this technique is reinforced at every qual and training event I officially attend. Hard to unlearn that. Interestingly, when I shoot a 229, any issue of "first round DA" is non exsistant for me. In fact, dropping a initial DA shot is a pretty rare occurrance. Go figure. The two stage LEM trigger, vs the "single stage" of that Sig is the deal-breaker for me in this.

My issues no doubt, are a series of bad habits brought about from initial errors and compounded by reinforcement. Years of it. I'm going to start in earnest from square one with this, in hopes of finally getting things straight. I realize the LEM isn't a match trigger, but feel there is a large area for improvement in my performace with it. My goal is two fist-sized holes in the A Zones at my next qual.

To add: I posted this in this particular sub-forum but by all means please move if it better belongs elsewhere.

ToddG
06-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Understood. The LEM is the red headed step child of the trigger/action world. Some people take to it immediately. Some people need a lot of time in a re-education camp to get it. Some people try their best and never warm to it. Others try it once and hate it.

FWIW, as a long time DA/SA guy, I found switching to the LEM seamless whereas the SAO trigger on my 1911, or even the SFA on a Glock, was a much greater struggle for me... which flies in the face of conventional wisdom.

entropy
06-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Well, glad to hear I'm in good company I guess.

Tonight was Day 1, Square 1. I began with a series of presentations from the duty holster to the retention position and then through the press out. Concentrating on smoothness, grip, and sight aquisition. Pulled out your "Dry Fire Routine" from 25AUG11 (always keep a few copies around!) and began with the Basic Routine.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I appreciate the help.