PDA

View Full Version : Ammo QC problems

Tom Givens
05-30-2013, 05:26 PM
This afternoon I got a rare chance to get out on the range and actually practice. I took 200 rounds of brand new factory .40 S&W ammo we recently received.
Out of 200 rounds, I had 8 in which the bullets had been pushed back into the case, resulting in a way too short overall length. My gun would have fed them, but fortunately I caught them while loading magazines. The .40 is a high-pressure cartridge to begin with, and the pressure spike caused by these rounds could easily have blown up my Glock.

This was US made factory ammo, not reloads. In a class earlier this week, we got a 9mm factory round with the bullet inserted backwards. This underscores the need to give a visual and tactile inspection to EVERY round you put into your gun.

Manufacturers are busting their butts trying to meet demand. Quality control is suffering, as a result. Be careful.

Clyde from Carolina
05-30-2013, 06:11 PM
That's a great wake up call and reminder. Thanks, Tom.

RoyGBiv
05-30-2013, 08:59 PM
That's a great wake up call and reminder. Thanks, Tom.

+100. Thanks

ST911
05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
In my last couple of cases of Federal 9MS, I've had several rounds with rolled case rims that stopped the guns. CCI Blazer continues to be iffy (iffy-er than usual) with badly seated primers. A case of 147 HST had a coating of something over the rounds that turned my hands gray while handling.

Interesting times...

JV_
05-31-2013, 05:19 AM
In my last couple of cases of Federal 9MS, I've had several rounds with rolled case rims that stopped the guns.
This was an issue before the ammo crunch.

-Sent using Tapatalk

Kyle Reese
05-31-2013, 07:43 AM
This was an issue before the ammo crunch.

-Sent using Tapatalk

AE comes to mind....