PDA

View Full Version : 10-8 extractor test and a Springfield 1911 question.

Mark
05-29-2013, 05:40 PM
I recently picked up an NM Springfield Loaded parkerized. Over all I am happy with the gun. Yesterday I took it to the range and while I was shooting it (it only has 300 rounds through it so far) I decided to put it through the 10-8 extractor test. For those of you who may not be familiar with the test, you load a magazine into the gun, chamber a round, remove the magazine and fire the round. Apparently according to guys like Tim Lau, Hilton Yam, Wilson Combat, Larry Vickers et al, if the gun extracts and ejects the round as normal it's good to go, if it extracts and ejects in an odd pattern or malfunctions the gun is not good to go. This is supposed to be repeated 16 times. Well.....the Loaded couldn't make it more then 2 rounds between stove pipes.

Question is, is this something Springfields Customer Service should consider a warranty issue or would they say it isn't designed to function without a magazine so I'm on my own. I am going to use this as a duty weapon so it needs to function correctly. What do you guys think?

Urban_Redneck
05-29-2013, 07:30 PM
I had a similar experience with a Range Officer I bought last year, I tightened the extractor (barely) myself. It's run like a champ since.

For a duty weapon, you may want to visit a reputable gunsmith and have him fit a premium extractor like a Wilson Bullet Proof and keep the original as a spare.

wilco423
06-01-2013, 12:36 AM
As far as SA's CS, you can always call and ask. I would not be surprised at all if they have you send it in on their dime for a fix, particularly if it's a new gun. They've been very good to me and my TRP.

OTOH, learning how to tension an extractor is a very valuable skill for a 1911 owner. Personally, I would try adding a little tension at a time until you get reliable extraction. If you can't get it to that point, then call SA.

dbateman
06-01-2013, 04:48 AM
+1 on the Wilson bullet proof

Having said that Springfield's customer service is pretty good from what I hear so I'd call and ask.

But as wilco said it's a handy skill knowing how to tune your own extractor.

06-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Might find this helpful if you tune on your own.

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

ToddG
06-02-2013, 09:12 AM
I'd echo the recommendations to contact Springfield.

FWIW, my SACS/Warren 9mm 1911 failed the 10-8 test (one failure to extract SHO) when new but it hasn't had a single extractor-caused stoppage in 38,000 rounds... and it often goes 1,000+ rounds between oil and 4-5,000 rounds between cleanings.

sqeeler
06-03-2013, 05:01 AM
I'd echo the recommendations to contact Springfield.

FWIW, my SACS/Warren 9mm 1911 failed the 10-8 test (one failure to extract SHO) when new but it hasn't had a single extractor-caused stoppage in 38,000 rounds... and it often goes 1,000+ rounds between oil and 4-5,000 rounds between cleanings.

hasn't the sacs gun been sent in and had the extractor replaced or tuned a couple of times now???

ToddG
06-03-2013, 06:51 PM
hasn't the sacs gun been sent in and had the extractor replaced or tuned a couple of times now???

They tuned it around 8k or so when I sent the gun in to get fitted for a couple of spares. I specifically told them not to tune it when it went back to them the second time. So 38k total, 30k since it was tuned.

sqeeler
06-10-2013, 01:53 AM
Todd, out of curiosity what extractor is Springfield using in the test guns and what weight hammer spring also?

Thanks

Les

ToddG
06-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Someone more familiar with Springfield Custom might have an answer. To the best of my knowledge, it's their extractor and a standard weight hammer spring.

sqeeler
06-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the reply. If at all possible could you find out it would be a big help as I am currently building a couple of Govt 9mm 1911's.

Thanks
Les

JAD
06-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. If at all possible could you find out it would be a big help as I am currently building a couple of Govt 9mm 1911's.

Thanks
Les

Sqee, you might also want to consider what will be used in the Heirloom guns. I personally would be more interested in that.

Jon
KC

sqeeler
06-12-2013, 01:38 AM
Sqee, you might also want to consider what will be used in the Heirloom guns. I personally would be more interested in that.

Jon
KC

Never thought about that. That would be some good info. Todd??????

ToddG
06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Never thought about that. That would be some good info. Todd??????

Heirloom gun wheel be using a Wilson Bulletproof extractor.

sqeeler
06-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Todd, would it be possible to get a complete parts list breakdown on the heirloom gun if possible??

Thanks
Les

ToddG
06-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Todd, would it be possible to get a complete parts list breakdown on the heirloom gun if possible??

It's been discussed in significant detail in the dedicated thread.