PDA

View Full Version : Entry Point Hardening

NMBigfoot02
05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before(I tried searching, but no luck), but does anyone have any resources or guides regarding entry point hardening(door jamb reinforcement, etc.)? Looking for a soup-to-nuts type deal with maybe some recommendations on what works and what doesn't.

Mods, if this is in the wrong sub-forum, please relocate as appropriate.

mnealtx
05-24-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before(I tried searching, but no luck), but does anyone have any resources or guides regarding entry point hardening(door jamb reinforcement, etc.)? Looking for a soup-to-nuts type deal with maybe some recommendations on what works and what doesn't.

I'm by no means an expert, but I've seen some stuff recommended on other sites...

Door jamb armo (http://armorconcepts.com/our-solutions/door-jamb-armor/#all/1/list)r reinforces the most vulnerable part of the doorway. Add a solid wood or fiberglass door with *good* 3" screws on the hinge side and you're in better shape than probably 95% of folks out there.

Hope that helps, or at least gives you a starting point.

Andy in NH
05-24-2013, 08:56 PM
... *good* 3" screws on the hinge side...

3" screws on the striker plate are also highly recommended.

jlw
05-24-2013, 09:07 PM

I'm by no means an expert, but I've seen some stuff recommended on other sites...

Door jamb armo (http://armorconcepts.com/our-solutions/door-jamb-armor/#all/1/list)r reinforces the most vulnerable part of the doorway. Add a solid wood or fiberglass door with *good* 3" screws on the hinge side and you're in better shape than probably 95% of folks out there.

Hope that helps, or at least gives you a starting point.

I was going to mention Door Jamb Armor.

As you are fairly close, if you go the Lowes on Epps Bridge Road (Athens address but in Oconee County, Hwy 316 becomes Epps Bridge Road) and go to commercial sales, ask for Pappy, and tell him the Oconee SO sent you, you will get a discount. With gas what it is, it might just be break even, but if you are down this way it might be worth it for you.

mnealtx
05-24-2013, 10:23 PM
3" screws on the striker plate are also highly recommended.

If I recall correctly, the jamb armor replaces the strike plates and they recommend 3" screws in the installation.

Cookie Monster
05-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Just adding three inch screws to the existing strike plate (door and frame) and hinges can go a long way without a lot of trouble.

You will also find some enhanced strike plates and other things at Home Despot/Lowes. I also bought some standard metal bar stock, pulled the molding and placed it under at the lock to spread out the force.

A security screen door that swings outward is another thing you can pick up at Home Depot/Lowes. They run $80 to $350 plus, the more expensive look less like a prison door. Someone will have to pry it open then bash your door down, so it give you more time.

My folks run this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Lock-Dual-Function-Door-Security-Bar-265DCCSEN/100210730#.UaBHYevlsy4

And are happy with it.

Stuff from these folks have been on my list but I got a whole list of remodel projects before dropping coin with them. Have not bought any or no affiliation but can give you some ideas.

https://pa107.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showStoreFront

or

http://www.doordevil.com/index.html

Just a homeowner that has looked at doing a little more to the doors, I'd be interested in hearing people's experience. When we bought the house it didn't even have deadbolts, I got those in and added the little bit of hardening.

Cheers,
Cookie Monster

Odin Bravo One
05-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Never paid much attention to the gadgets and gizmos out there, what they are called, or who made them. But I can say with a degree of certainty that most are gimmicks and won't do much to slow down someone who knows how to get through locked doors. If its to keep a less than honest man honest, or riff raff out, there is sure to be some benefit over the standard mechanisms. But if one really wants to keep people out, it almost always locks the other people in.

Lon
05-25-2013, 08:41 AM
I've seen quite a few kicked/forced/rammed in doors over the years. Rammed a few myself. Without a doubt, the toughest door we had to get through was at a dope house where the tenants had replaced the door frame/jamb with 4x4 treated posts. The frame/jamb never gave way, we ended up breaking the door down the center. If they had used a solid oak door, I'm not sure we would have gotten in that door with the tools we had.

So my suggestion for hardening your door from what I've seen over the years:
- replace frame/jamb with 4x4 treated posts
- solid oak or good metal door
- 3" screws in all hinge plates
- no Windows in or near the door

Having said that, let me ask "why?" Hardening your door if Your worried about home invasions makes sense. If your worried about burglars, not so much. They tend to use Windows on the back side of houses.

Tamara
05-25-2013, 10:20 AM
What kind of neighborhood? Who are you trying to stop?

In my neighborhood, this (http://www.ornamentalsecurity.com/doors.html) isn't at all out of place, and will keep Freddie Crackhead and his buddy from kicking their way in. It would look a little paranoid on a suburban McMansion, though...

NMBigfoot02
05-25-2013, 03:14 PM
I was going to mention Door Jamb Armor.

As you are fairly close, if you go the Lowes on Epps Bridge Road (Athens address but in Oconee County, Hwy 316 becomes Epps Bridge Road) and go to commercial sales, ask for Pappy, and tell him the Oconee SO sent you, you will get a discount. With gas what it is, it might just be break even, but if you are down this way it might be worth it for you.

Thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind. I'm still in the research phase at this point, so it may be some time before I'm ready to buy.

Just adding three inch screws to the existing strike plate (door and frame) and hinges can go a long way without a lot of trouble.

You will also find some enhanced strike plates and other things at Home Despot/Lowes. I also bought some standard metal bar stock, pulled the molding and placed it under at the lock to spread out the force.

A security screen door that swings outward is another thing you can pick up at Home Depot/Lowes. They run $80 to $350 plus, the more expensive look less like a prison door. Someone will have to pry it open then bash your door down, so it give you more time.

My folks run this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Lo...0#.UaBHYevlsy4

And are happy with it.

Stuff from these folks have been on my list but I got a whole list of remodel projects before dropping coin with them. Have not bought any or no affiliation but can give you some ideas.

https://pa107.infusionsoft.com/app/s...showStoreFront

or

http://www.doordevil.com/index.html

Just a homeowner that has looked at doing a little more to the doors, I'd be interested in hearing people's experience. When we bought the house it didn't even have deadbolts, I got those in and added the little bit of hardening.

Cheers,
Cookie Monster

Thanks for the suggestions. I may look into the storm door as our front door does take a beating from the elements.

Never paid much attention to the gadgets and gizmos out there, what they are called, or who made them. But I can say with a degree of certainty that most are gimmicks and won't do much to slow down someone who knows how to get through locked doors. If its to keep a less than honest man honest, or riff raff out, there is sure to be some benefit over the standard mechanisms. But if one really wants to keep people out, it almost always locks the other people in.

Thanks Sean. I'm really just looking into options for making our house a tougher nut to crack, not make it completely impenetrable.

I've seen quite a few kicked/forced/rammed in doors over the years. Rammed a few myself. Without a doubt, the toughest door we had to get through was at a dope house where the tenants had replaced the door frame/jamb with 4x4 treated posts. The frame/jamb never gave way, we ended up breaking the door down the center. If they had used a solid oak door, I'm not sure we would have gotten in that door with the tools we had.

So my suggestion for hardening your door from what I've seen over the years:
- replace frame/jamb with 4x4 treated posts
- solid oak or good metal door
- 3" screws in all hinge plates
- no Windows in or near the door

Having said that, let me ask "why?" Hardening your door if Your worried about home invasions makes sense. If your worried about burglars, not so much. They tend to use Windows on the back side of houses.

Thank you for the suggestions. Home invasions are my main concern. My wife and child are at home most of the day, and I want to give them as much time as possible should such a situation arise.

What kind of neighborhood? Who are you trying to stop?

In my neighborhood, this isn't at all out of place, and will keep Freddie Crackhead and his buddy from kicking their way in. It would look a little paranoid on a suburban McMansion, though...

LOL no McMansion here, so those doors would look just fine. Neighborhood is near Flowery Branch, which is relatively low crime(whatever that means) so this is not a SW Atlanta type situation. As I said before, home invasions are the main concern. The frequency in this area isn't that high yet, but there have been more reports of home invasions near where I work(Duluth) and it has me thinking about the problem.

Thanks to all who have contributed thus far. I started this thread mostly to start a discussion of what's available, what works/doesn't, and whether its worth worrying about in the long run. During the podcast with tpd223, I heard him mention something about door hardening, and it got me wondering.

NCMedic
05-26-2013, 07:23 AM
I have added these to all of our exterior doors as well as some key interior doors, in addition to most things suggested above.
www.nightlock.com
They work well and are unobtrusive to the casual glance.

Also if you have doors with large areas of glass consider adding security film to the glass.

Sent from this using that...

Odin Bravo One
05-26-2013, 11:21 AM
If I am protecting against home invasion, adding a couple of $30 gimmicks is not going to do much.

Rebuilding the door frames using aluminum or steel, long mounting bolts, and heavy duty fire doors gives you a start for the gadgets to be effective. But just placing them on existing residential doors won't even slow down a guy who has spend his life breaking into residential doors.

SeriousStudent
05-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I have added these to all of our exterior doors as well as some key interior doors, in addition to most things suggested above.
www.nightlock.com
They work well and are unobtrusive to the casual glance.

Also if you have doors with large areas of glass consider adding security film to the glass.

One of the crime prevention officers for a local PD recommends these as well. He says they are particularly helpful if you have French doors.

tdoom15
05-28-2013, 04:31 PM
As other's have mentioned, metal doors and frames.

I also plan on some sort of window security film:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Safety-Security_Window_Films/

Motion detecting lights are a relatively inexpensive upgrade

Alarm system with outside sirens and lights, and an alarm panel in the master bedroom that tells you what entry point has been breached

Large dog

I was at the Disruptive Environments class with Travis Haley at Cory and Erika's range a couple weekends ago, and he briefly touched on this subject. He recommended having a plan and concentric rings of security, so that hopefully people see your house as a more difficult target and move on to the next one, or by the time they get to layer 2 or 3 they just decide it's too difficult and give up. He also gave a tip about sitting in your house at night with the lights out to learn where natural light comes in, and what areas are lighter or darker. Not sure how related that is, but I found it interesting.

NCMedic
05-29-2013, 08:43 AM
also gave a tip about sitting in your house at night with the lights out to learn where natural light comes in, and what areas are lighter or darker. Not sure how related that is, but I found it interesting.

It will let you see where the shadows and potential areas for someone to lurk or hide. It can give you a idea of where to place exterior lights, etc.
Looking out and in your windows can also give you a lot of information about what you can and can't see, can also help you to place exterior cameras if that's your thing