PDA

View Full Version : ammo seems to be eaing up in fla area

jhprice
05-24-2013, 09:32 AM
starting to see ammo showing up in lgs and walmart walmart had 20 boxes of 325 rnds 22lr and 10 boxes 9mm 100 rnd boxes all three lgs had over 10 boxes of 9mm 45 and 40 no 22lp though prices for 9 were 19$ 40 were 20$ and 45 were 22$ in jax saw 9mm hornaday match grade was still high 34$ per 50 but the shooting ranges were 6 for 50 22 lr and 17.99 fro 9mm reloads

jhp

JodyH
05-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I picked up 1000 rounds of WWB 9mm at Wal-Mart last week (NM state law prohibits limits on purchase quantities).
There was still 1500 rounds of the Federal 9mm in the case along with plenty of .45 and .40 (no .22lr or .223 though).
I think the worst of the drought is over at least until the mid-term elections.

LOKNLOD
05-24-2013, 02:47 PM
I picked up 1000 rounds of WWB 9mm at Wal-Mart last week (NM state law prohibits limits on purchase quantities).
There was still 1500 rounds of the Federal 9mm in the case along with plenty of .45 and .40 (no .22lr or .223 though).
I think the worst of the drought is over at least until the mid-term elections.

Crap. I haven't been able to find a scrap around here still. My local walmart is completely bare except for a a few shotgun shells.
Were prices in line with "normal" or inflated a bit?

Chuck Haggard
05-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Our Wal Marts are still all bare, with what little ammo that shows up gone the first thing in the morning to be resold by douchebags later that day on the internet, this is even with a 3 box a day limit to ammo buying.

jlw
05-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Our standard issue pistol is a Glock 22 or 23 depending on the Deputy's preference and inventory. I had set aside a G22 with a very nice OEM trigger for myself. We had a new hire that wanted a G22; so, I issued it out to him.

Serves me right as I can't find any 9mm or .45 ACP locally, but one of the cop shops has scads of .40SW Winchester WB 100 round packs on the shelf. I do have a G23 available, and if I get in a pinch I'll shoot it, but I stil have a supply of .45 GAP to run through before I demean myself into shooting .40SW.

I have noticed a lot of the local shops advertising having ammo in stock now.

LOKNLOD
05-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Our Wal Marts are still all bare, with what little ammo that shows up gone the first thing in the morning to be resold by douchebags later that day on the internet, this is even with a 3 box a day limit to ammo buying.

That appears to be the exact situation we have going on, according to the lamentations on the local shooter forum. Both at Walmart and Academy. Same forum has plenty of ammo for sale in the classifieds for higher prices...

Chuck Haggard
05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I am fully prepared to put people in jail at the very first chance I get to bang someone who is buying ammo for the express purpose of reselling it at a profit. Breaking a few laws while being a profiteering dochebag should hurt.

Mitchell, Esq.
05-24-2013, 04:06 PM
I am fully prepared to put people in jail at the very first chance I get to bang someone who is buying ammo for the express purpose of reselling it at a profit. Breaking a few laws while being a profiteering dochebag should hurt.

What about buying ammo for sex?

This morning I lucked out and was able to buy several cases of 5.56mm. On the way back I stopped at the gas station to get some gas, and this drop dead gorgeous blond was filling up her car at the next pump.

She looked at the ammo in the back of my car and said in a very sexy voice, "I'm a big believer in barter, big boy. Would you be interested in a trade of sex for ammo?"

I thought it over for a few seconds and responded......"well, just what kind of ammo you got to trade?"

I got another case of 5.56mm out of the deal...Then got a blood test.

Regardless of the results...I still got some ammo out of the deal! As for the rest - Obama Care!

JodyH
05-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Were prices in line with "normal" or inflated a bit?
$24/100

pangloss
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
9mm is $15 per box of 50 at the indoor range here. Of course it's for range use only, so I can't buy a thousand rounds to take home. Nevertheless, it's better than not being able to get any locally. I haven't checked Wal-Mart lately.

JodyH
05-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Really?
Yup... signed into law by Toney Anaya back in the '80's.
We always have a big stink around Black Friday when the local "rent to own" places buy all the cheap microwaves (as in the whole pallet of them) from Home Depot to resell.

Here's the statute that is referenced when a business tries to limit quantities:

NMSA
57-12-2
D. "unfair or deceptive trade practice"
(9) offering goods or services with intent not to supply them in the quantity requested by the prospective buyer to the extent of the stock available, unless the purchaser is purchasing for resale;
Note: that if they can prove you're trying to resell, you can be limited.

JDM
05-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Yup... signed into law by Toney Anaya back in the '80's.
We always have a big stink around Black Friday when the local "rent to own" places buy all the cheap microwaves (as in the whole pallet of them) from Home Depot to resell.

I don't doubt you, Jody, but do you happen to know where about in the NMSA I could find the text about this?

JodyH
05-24-2013, 06:19 PM
I don't doubt you, Jody, but do you happen to know where about in the NMSA I could find the text about this?
NMSA 57-12-2
Referenced in my edit above... looks like the stink on Black Friday could be cured by a reading of the statute.
I guess proving the guy was buying it all for resale is the problem.

All the Wal-Marts and Big5's down in this part of the state will tell you they are prohibited from limits.
Somebody must have educated them.

JodyH
05-24-2013, 06:26 PM
NMSA 57-12-2, maybe? :cool:
Maybe.
Now go forth and use this knowledge wisely.
:cool:

Clyde from Carolina
05-25-2013, 10:14 PM
What about buying ammo for sex?

This morning I lucked out and was able to buy several cases of 5.56mm. On the way back I stopped at the gas station to get some gas, and this drop dead gorgeous blond was filling up her car at the next pump.

She looked at the ammo in the back of my car and said in a very sexy voice, "I'm a big believer in barter, big boy. Would you be interested in a trade of sex for ammo?"

I thought it over for a few seconds and responded......"well, just what kind of ammo you got to trade?"

I got another case of 5.56mm out of the deal...Then got a blood test.

Regardless of the results...I still got some ammo out of the deal! As for the rest - Obama Care!

That sounds like a classic Penthouse story-- if they still print those? Sorry if somebody already mentioned this, didn't have time to read through the whole thread. :rolleyes:

LHS
05-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Well, the local Ace Hardware had 9mm on the shelves the day after the shipment arrived. That's a first in a long time. They also had an entire shelf full of primers, and a few cases of 7.62x39mm for sale.

1986s4
05-31-2013, 09:59 AM
I was in my LGS recently were they told me they had a guy walk in and try to return some ammo. They asked why and at least the guy was honest. He said he tried to re-sell it and it didn't turn out to be quite the investment he thought it would be. The LGS told him to keep it.

Tamara
06-04-2013, 03:55 PM
That sounds like a classic Penthouse story-- if they still print those? Sorry if somebody already mentioned this, didn't have time to read through the whole thread. :rolleyes:

The exact same thing happened to one of the commenters at my blog. Of course, he was from CT, too, so it could have been the same chick... :D

shootist26
06-04-2013, 07:23 PM
in eastern MA/southern NH, 9mm is running between $13-18/box. I have yet to see a store that isn't enforcing a 2 or 3 box limit per person.

Rich
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Punta Gorda , Local wallyworld is still bare .
Other than some 7mm and 12GA target loads
Thank God I bought what I did before the SHTF.

BWT
07-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Heck I'd stock up on magazines and other misc parts, while ammo is still high.

Corlissimo
07-02-2013, 02:33 PM
No changes here in Raleigh, NC... Walmart shelves still bare and have the 3 box per customer/day limit signs posted.

The LGS I frequent isn't much better. Nothing worth buying for defensive loads in any of the standard calibers and high prices for whatever they do have in stock for FMJ loads.

I'm gonna start looking at learning how to reload soon. I'll just need to figure out if the needed components are available at a sane price point.

It's getting depressing. I haven't had live fire time for 3 months now. I am one if those saps who didn't stock up enough ammo when it was available, note I'm kicking myself repeatedly each week. :banghead:

Tamara
07-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Went into the local Mountain of Geese yesterday afternoon. It was depressing. Your ammo choices in centerfire handgun ball ammo was thus:

Winchester Super X .30 Mauser, ~$80/50rds
American Eagle 10mm Auto, ~$50/50rds
Remington .32 S&W Long, ~$35/50rds

There was about a case of each, spread out in a single 1-deep/1-high row so that the thirty boxes covered the whole frontage of a single shelf.

LHS
07-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Went into the local Mountain of Geese yesterday afternoon. It was depressing. Your ammo choices in centerfire handgun ball ammo was thus:

Winchester Super X .30 Mauser, ~$80/50rds
American Eagle 10mm Auto, ~$50/50rds
Remington .32 S&W Long, ~$35/50rds

There was about a case of each, spread out in a single 1-deep/1-high row so that the thirty boxes covered the whole frontage of a single shelf.

At my local Emporium for Professional Largemouth, it was .327 Federal, .38 Super and .41 Magnum.

At least Ace Hardware seems to be getting some 9mm FMJ and .38 Special in alongside their lonely partial box of .475 Linebaugh.

LSP972
07-07-2013, 09:06 AM
The story here (south Louisiana) is one I'm hearing repeated by acquaintances in other parts of the country:

The "big box" outlets (Wal-Mart, Academy Sports, etc.) that have not stooped to price-gouging are still bereft of ammo. They are getting it, but the vultures are there at the door waiting, with a lot of straw purchaser buddies to get around the box-per limit, and by mid-morning its all gone until the next truck arrives. The gun shops have ammo, but at ludicrous prices. And they aren't selling any more of it at those inflated prices, but apparently refuse to come down. The one exception is the "reloading store"; he's doing his best to remain fair while still making a profit. A good guy, caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't envy him.

An unexpected effect that hopefully will ease soon is a dearth of paying customers at the several area indoor ranges. I know that the one I patronize has been staying afloat mainly through rental time to police/government agencies and CCW classes.

Chuck Haggard
07-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Buying ammo at Wal Mart or wherever to immediately resell for a profit on the intardnets is in fact a crime. If I get the chance to do so I am going to put a case on somebody doing this locally.

A news story about doing federal prison time might help slow down the scumbaggery.

LSP972
07-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Buying ammo at Wal Mart or wherever to immediately resell for a profit on the intardnets is in fact a crime. .

But (unless an area has a local ordinance) its a federal crime. I can guarantee you that the district attorney's office here would laugh us out the door if we brought a "case" involving this to them. Not that they would consider it a non-crime... no, they have over-full dockets dealing with the local fauna whacking each other, and no-driving/bad-wreck-causing pinheads killing and maiming folks.

Dunno, you might could get the BAT-men interested if you approached the right one... but you have to wonder what THEIR priorities are. Google "Thuggin' It and Lovin' It!"... i.e., a video made right here in good old Baton Rouge, showing known multiple offender convicted felons brandishing and shooting a plethora of weapons.

They (ATF and FBI) wouldn't touch it.

JodyH
07-07-2013, 06:54 PM
It would be a great use of "you might beat the wrap, but you're still taking the ride". I'd love to see a flipper cuffed and stuffed for a few hours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Chuck Haggard
07-07-2013, 11:08 PM
We have our own ATF task force officer and a very good working relationship with the feds.

I have already checked into this. Trust me, I can make it happen.

LSP972
07-08-2013, 08:27 AM
We have our own ATF task force officer and a very good working relationship with the feds.

I have already checked into this. Trust me, I can make it happen.

Should be easy to set up then. Find a local flipper, set up a buy, bust him, get him to admit it during interrogation.

Just make sure the feds are committed to following through; otherwise, guess who's left holding the bag when prosecution is declined and your criminal starts screaming false arrest, etc.?

We have a "task force"/fusion arrangement here too... and I still don't trust them any further than I can spit upwind.

I understand your desire/motivations in this, but dude... lots of possibilities for it to go sideways, y'know?

Tamara
07-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Buying ammo at Wal Mart or wherever to immediately resell for a profit on the intardnets is in fact a crime. If I get the chance to do so I am going to put a case on somebody doing this locally.

While I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't get a bit of schadenfreude out of that, it still makes my inner libertarian itch.