PDA

View Full Version : Week 69: Triple Nickel (or iHack)

ToddG
05-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Please read the rules (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1837-Drill-of-the-Week) before participating in this thread.

Week 69: Triple Nickel (or iHack)
results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Friday 31-May-2013.

If your range allows you to shoot multiple targets from the holster, shoot Triple Nickel. If not, shoot the iHack. Both drills are detailed below:

Triple Nickel
designed by the Federal Air Marshal firearms training unit
Range: 5yd
Target: see below
Start position: from concealment or a duty/retention holster
Rounds fired: 10

Targets can be (a) the 4/5 zone of a Transtar II, (b) the bottle of a QIT target, (c) the A/B/C zones of a USPSA "Metric" target, or (d) the -0 and -1 zones of an IDPA target. Any bullet strike completely within the designated area counts as a hit; any strike that touches the line or falls outside the designated area counts as a miss. There must be at least 18" between each target.

Shooter begins facing the target, hands at sides, gun in holster loaded with no more than nine rounds (shooter chooses to load anywhere between one and nine rounds). On the buzzer, draw and fire exactly two shots at each of the five targets. Shooter will need to perform a reload to accomplish this.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Start position (concealed or duty).
Time.
Number of hits.
Make & model of gun and holster.

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

iHack
designed from the Hackathorn 3-Second Headshot Standards (http://pistol-training.com/drills/3-second-head-shot-standards)
Range: 5yd
Target: three 2" circles (.pdf target downloadable here (http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/6x2in-circles.pdf))
Start position: varies (see below)
Rounds fired: 9

The iHack is an indoor range friendly version of the famous Hackathorn 3-Second Headshot Standards (http://pistol-training.com/drills/3-second-head-shot-standards). The targets are much closer together but also significantly smaller than the regular version of the drill.

PAR time is set to three seconds for each string. There are three strings of fire.

Fire one (and only one) shot at each target, going from left to right
Fire one (and only one) shot at each target, going from right to left.
Fire one (and only one) shot at each target, beginning with the middle target and then finishing with the two outside targets in any order.

Shots fired after the 3-second PAR time count as misses. In total, you will fire nine rounds (three shots in three seconds, times three strings of fire) for each run of the drill. A "passing" score is 7 out of 9.

There are three "levels" to the drill based on start position for each 3-shot string. From easiest to hardest, they are: ready position (pistol cannot be pointed at the target), open top holster with no concealment, and either concealed or retention holster. You can choose whichever ready position you wish. If the drill proves too hard or easy, switch to a different "level" as appropriate.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

starting position (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed)
total number of hits within the PAR time

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

ToddG
05-24-2013, 09:14 PM
iHack

Starting position: concealed (JM Custom Kydex aiwb under untucked polo)
Hits: 9

I actually felt so comfortable running this today that I decided to keep going until I stopped shooting it clean. Made it through a total of five perfect runs before dropping three points on my 6th. By far a personal best for me.

Mr_White
05-24-2013, 09:32 PM
iHack

Starting position: concealed (JM Custom Kydex aiwb under untucked polo)
Hits: 9

I actually felt so comfortable running this today that I decided to keep going until I stopped shooting it clean. Made it through a total of five perfect runs before dropping three points on my 6th. By far a personal best for me.

Right on, that's awesome!

ST911
05-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Triple Nickel
gen4 Glock 19 9mm w/ Trijicon HD
Full duty gear, Safariland 6390 w/ ALS guard
Federal 147 JHP (9MS)

I shot this cold, on a photo B21 with an IPSC-A cutout overlay applied for scoring. Targets shot L-R. I ran this five times, putting the reload in different places. Screwed the pooch a couple of times, too. As follows:

Run 1: Fire 8, reload 2, 8.61 clean
Run 2: Fire 6, reload 4, 10.23 clean. Didn't chamber a round starting out, did a tap-rack to shoot six, then obstructed the slide stop necessitating a rack of the slide on the reload. No alibi, score is what it is.
Run 3: Fire 4, reload 6, 9.65 clean. During the reload, I released the slide ahead of seating the mag and got another empty chamber.
Run 4: Fire 2, reload 8, 7.76 clean
Run 5: Fire 8, reload 2, 6.85 clean (best time for the runs)

On the upside of it all, my empty chambers showed that my reverse ball and dummy drills and dry fire have been working. No anticipation.

GJM
05-25-2013, 08:42 PM
IHack, 5 yards, G17, JM AIWB, t shirt concealment

Run 1 7/9

Run 2 9/9, but unlike TLG, I then quit the drill.

My times for the 3 shot runs ranged from 2.50-2.65.

CCT125US
05-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Concealed
HK P30 V3
5 Shot SME from under a t-shirt

Cold run:

7/9 with 2.69 being the best run

Several more runs further into the session:

8/9 with 2.56 being the best run

9/9 with 2.72 being the best run

2alpha-down0
05-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Triple Nickel

Start position: Concealed AIWB under t-shirt
Time: 5.29 / 4.78 / 5.04 / 4.78
Number of hits: 10 / 10 / 10 / 10
Gun/holster: M&P9 with Apex DCAEK and Trijicon HDs. JMCK AIWB, RM Holsters mag carrier.
Targets: USPSA Metric (18" C-to-C)

I really enjoyed this drill, and decided to take the camera along this time. I actually shot the drill five times: The four listed above, which were filmed, and a 5-something 9/10 (the fourth run, no video and unsure of the exact time). The video of the first 4.78 got deleted on accident.:(

http://youtu.be/sGN_15m_iSE

Corey
05-29-2013, 05:33 PM
I went with the iHack this week. Later this summer I will have to run the Triple Nickel a few times when I can set it up outdoors. First problem with the iHack for me is that 2” dots turn me into an eye sprinting fool. Maybe I should do this and similar drills more often to help work on that. Second problem I have is that I am slow. At least I can hit the dots consistently as out of 25 shots that were within the par time, I only had 2 misses. However, I only had one run where all three shots were under the par time and a few of my late shots were also misses as I tried to rush to beat the timer. I can stay very consistent under 3.25 seconds shooting from the ready position, but I cannot take that last quarter second off without my accuracy going away. Need to work on that.

Pistol: M&P9 FS
Start Position: ready
Scores: Run 1: 5
Run 2: 6
Run 3: 5
Run 4: 7
Total: 23

GJM
05-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Even though they are in the same DoW, I can't imagine two drills more different, in terms of what is necessary to do them well, than the iHack and Triple Nickel.

AJZ
05-29-2013, 06:33 PM
M&P9FS carried in a Keeper under Polo
i-Hack

L-R: 2.97 Clean
R-L: 2.93 Clean
M-L-R: 2.86 Clean

Not sure how the last run was the fastest, but i'll take it.

CCT125US
05-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Even though they are in the same DoW, I can't imagine two drills more different, in terms of what is necessary to do them well, than the iHack and Triple Nickel.

They do share two similarities, (1) hit targets, (2) under par :)

Kyle Reese
05-29-2013, 09:27 PM
KSTG Match, 28 May 2013, NRA Range

Start position (concealed)
Time 6.24
10 hits
Glock 17 Gen 4, JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster.

I performed this drill a second time, but turned off my Contour Roam before recording my time (like a bonehead) :rolleyes: ....

JSGlock34
05-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Start Position: Concealed
Time: 7.14
10 hits
Glock 17 GEN4; Raven Concealment Systems Phantom OWB

Shot this drill cold on Tuesday night. Tried to go too fast - I felt sloppy and know I was focusing on the targets rather than the sights during this run.

ToddG
05-29-2013, 11:25 PM
I performed this drill a second time, but turned off my Contour Roam before recording my time (like a bonehead) :rolleyes: ....

It was 6.28 clean. My idea to use KSTG as a chance for folks to shoot the Triple Nickel failed because of the penalty incurred for hitting about 2/3 of the "acceptable" target. We should have just made the entire A/B/C target down zero and let people run amok. We'll know for next time.

Slavex
05-30-2013, 08:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzNdm1fIZ3c

Mr_White
05-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Start position: Concealed for all runs.
Make & model of gun and holster: Gen3 G34, Ameriglo Defoor sights, Keeper holster.

I chose to have fun with this drill, and was pushing for sub-4 runs.

Run 1 (solo): 4.47, 9 hits
Run 2 (solo): 3.85, 8 hits
Run 3 (solo): 3.93, 10 hits
Run 4 (demo): 4.xx, 9 hits
Run 5 (demo): 4.44, 10 hits

More info and comments in this journal entry: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2751-OrigamiAK-s-Training-Journal-Mind-Driving-the-Vision-Vision-Driving-the-Gun&p=137445&viewfull=1#post137445

GJM
05-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Start position: Concealed for all runs.
Make & model of gun and holster: Gen3 G34, Ameriglo Defoor sights, Keeper holster.

I chose to have fun with this drill, and was pushing for sub-4 runs.

Origami, didn't you see the special note -- you only get to do the iHack version since Triple Nickel is so far down your alley! You must have been busy, because this is a few days later than I was expecting. :)

Mr_White
05-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Origami, didn't you see the special note -- you only get to do the iHack version since Triple Nickel is so far down your alley! You must have been busy, because this is a few days later than I was expecting. :)

Didn't get the memo. I was really liking the Triple Nickel as one end of our drill spectrum last night and I dig it as a drill to push transition speed down even if the targets are big and easy.

GJM
05-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Didn't get the memo. I was really liking the Triple Nickel as one end of our drill spectrum last night and I dig it as a drill to push transition speed down even if the targets are big and easy.

Agreed -- I am just jealous of folks with 5 target stands! Out here in remote Alaska, we have one target stand and two MGM 8 inch steel plates, so iHack it is!

Slavex
05-31-2013, 06:43 AM
DOTW: Triple Nickle
Distance: 5yds
Tiime:
4.58 Clean
4.36 Clean
4.01 Clean
3.69 Clean

Gear used: No concealment, IPSC rig for Production Div, CZ Shadow 9mm, Bladetech DOH holster, DAA Mag pouches.
Start Position: hands relaxed in front of body (not at sides).

Mickey
05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
M&P Pro 9, VG2, concealed under Tshirt

DOTW Triple Nickle

Runs
1) 12.27 clean (cold run)
2) 8.95 clean
3) 9.21 clean
4) 8.14 clean
5) 9.89 clean

First dotw since shoulder surgery feels good to be back!
times could have been faster but I kept getting my reload mag caught up in my shirt!