PDA

View Full Version : Help a short brother

ubervic
05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
I stand 5'7" with a muscular build, which means I'm more short-waisted than most. I normally need to buy a Large shirt to accommodate my 42" chest, but they end up being very long on my short build.

I'm on the hunt for casual golf/polo shirts that fit my chest and yet do NOT make me look like I'm wearing a dress. I hate polo shirts that have a longer tail than front.

I carry AIWB and do not like button-front shirts.

Please recommend.

Thanks for your help.

VolGrad
05-22-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm an inch or so shorter than you and probably not as muscular but I do have similar issues due to a short torso and wide chest & shoulders.

Here is a pic of me in a Ralph Lauren Polo brand shirt, sized Medium. I very much like the way these fit. I have a quite a few different colors. I can't recall exactly which holster & pistol I was wearing but this pic was taken to show how well AIWB can conceal if done properly. I kind of think this was either a M&P9c in a JM Custom or a Shield in a Dark Star Gear.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/fav%20holsters/a1e1b957.jpg

ubervic
05-22-2013, 07:35 PM
VolGrad,

Thank you for the pic and the specific recommendation. I will look into this. My chest is just large enough that most Medium shirts are too tight around the chest...but I will try.

I run MP9FS in JM Custom Kydex.

I bought a couple of Lands End Pima cotton tailored shirts in size Large. As the name implies, they are quite 'tailored' and I generally like the cut. The only thing is that the weave of the fabric is so very fine that it shows any and every pucker and bulge (i.e., printing is a bit of an issue).

Thanks again.

orionz06
05-22-2013, 07:59 PM
http://www.express.com/clothing/modern+fit+small+lion+pique+polo/pro/4795141/cat630002

They work well and are cheap. I get 4-5 at a time. They don't seem to stay as nice as Lacoste or Polo but they are still what I'd call nice.

Vinh
05-22-2013, 11:09 PM
I would recommend giving Lacoste a try. I'm shorter and fatter than you, and I switched from Polo to Lacoste for the more relaxed fit and shorter, even hem (no tail). I think you might be able to get away with a medium.

shootist26
05-23-2013, 06:46 AM
I stand 5'7" with a muscular build, which means I'm more short-waisted than most. I normally need to buy a Large shirt to accommodate my 42" chest, but they end up being very long on my short build.

I'm on the hunt for casual golf/polo shirts that fit my chest and yet do NOT make me look like I'm wearing a dress. I hate polo shirts that have a longer tail than front.

I carry AIWB and do not like button-front shirts.

Please recommend.

Thanks for your help.

Try Land's End. Their polos are cut a bit looser, not too long, and do not have the tail at the end. I am 5'8" 190, and a large fits plenty loose for IWB carry with no issues.

BobLoblaw
05-23-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm the same height as you with 41" chest. I shop at Marshall's and TJ Max when looking for casual/business casual shirts because their brands have oddball fits and most stuff is less than $35. I've had good luck with Calvin Klein, Nautica, and Tommy Hilfiger. Polo does make some shorter cut polos but they're harder to find.

ubervic
05-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look at all of these.

NEPAKevin
05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
LA Police Gear has Blackhawk polos on closeout for $15-$17, but it looks all they sold out of all the colors but red. The all cotton ones are made with from a heavy cloth that helps lessen printing. They still have their house brand in stock at the same price but I have not tried them.

NickA
05-23-2013, 03:02 PM
About to embark on a similar hunt myself (though I'm somewhat bigger than the OP). I've been working one-handed draws from AIWB and finding that my favorite polo's just don't work. They're big enough and the material is soft enough that the excess sometimes flops down and catches the gun. No doubt I need to work on technique, but I think new shirts are in order, which will mean lots of trying on, which I hate.
At 5'11 and maybe 190, not too flabby but not athletic either, I'm right between a M and L most of the time. My perfect pants would also probably be 35/31's, go figure. Maybe I should shop in the "irregular" section.