PDA

View Full Version : universal sight tools & 1911 sight tools

jlw
04-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Have any of you found a good universal sight pusher? The tools on Brownells have very mixed results with most being negative ratings along with a few glowing entries.

If no such decent universal tool exists, which 1911 sight pusher do y'all suggest? I'd like one that would work on front and rear dovetails.

ToddG
04-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Have any of you found a good universal sight pusher?

Yes. A vice, punch, and mallet.

jlw
04-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Yes. A vice, punch, and mallet.

True, but that doesn't lend itself to well to making fine adjustments. I've also broken a set of sights using this method.

jlw
04-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Try Brownells, they've got a few universal sight tools.

As I stated in the original post, I was reading the reviews on Brownells... :cool:

JV_
04-30-2011, 07:30 PM
I've also broken a set of sights using this method.
If you have to beat the sight so hard it breaks, it's too big.

jlw
04-30-2011, 07:33 PM
If you have to beat the sight so hard it breaks, it's too big.

Or your punch slips...

JV_
04-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Or your punch slips...If you're talking about front sights, I usually leave my index finger on the tip of the punch, providing downward pressure in to the dovetail. It helps with the slipping. I tend to like my sights so they can fit about 1/3rd of the way in to the dovetail without much pressure. For making sure the front won't move, I use Loctite 620.

NGA Gunsmith
05-21-2011, 10:05 AM
We use the Uni-200L universal sight tool when we need to do a sight install in the shop. It has worked well and is built very sturdy. They aren't cheap but it beats buying one for each specific gun. Here is a photo of one at brownells if anyone is curious what it looks like. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27634/Product/UNI_2OOL_UNIVERSAL_SIGHT_MOVER

orionz06
05-21-2011, 09:53 PM
We use the Uni-200L universal sight tool when we need to do a sight install in the shop. It has worked well and is built very sturdy. They aren't cheap but it beats buying one for each specific gun. Here is a photo of one at brownells if anyone is curious what it looks like. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27634/Product/UNI_2OOL_UNIVERSAL_SIGHT_MOVER

I have used this one multiple times and it is great. Just make sure to oil the piss out of it each time you use it.

Buckshot
05-21-2011, 09:53 PM
I've had great luck for a number of years with the Maryland Gun Works 1911 pusher, but it only works on the rear sight

Dafish
07-03-2011, 10:01 AM
This one works well, and has been reviewed by Gunsamerica.

www.sightpusher.com

orionz06
07-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Fair warning, do not use this model: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163458

JV_
07-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Fair warning, do not use this model: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163458

Agreed.

jlw
07-03-2011, 05:06 PM

www.sightpusher.com

Thanks!!

Wheeler
07-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Or your punch slips...

Perhaps you should find someone to help you that uses hand tools for a living... Just sayin...:cool:

jlw
07-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Perhaps you should find someone to help you that uses hand tools for a living... Just sayin...:cool:

What are you doing playing on the internet? Don't you have double feeds to clear?

Wheeler
07-03-2011, 07:38 PM
What are you doing playing on the internet? Don't you have double feeds to clear?

And now we know why I prefer revolvers... ;)

Dafish
08-14-2011, 11:43 PM
This one does work well on 1911's

www.sightpusher.com

LtDave
08-17-2011, 09:08 PM
I picked up a universal tool from SRV Canada. It is well made and works well. You can get it with special inserts for M&P's.

SCD
08-18-2011, 11:09 AM

I have had this tool for close 10 years and it has never done me wrong. I did order the new clamp for it as some of the guns with bigger slide like the USP 45 and XD guns can twist in the tool but the clamp helps hold them in place solid. I have done literally hundreds of sights with this and it has long paid for itself it is well worth the money.

orionz06
08-18-2011, 11:15 AM
The one I used was pretty bad. It was next to impossible to keep the driver pin level, it would always ride up, no matter how you started. Based on how it is designed I can't see it working too well for anything.

jlw
01-07-2012, 11:38 PM

www.sightpusher.com (http://www.sightpusher.com)

I bought one of these and attempted to use it tonight for a sight switch on an M&P. It worked well enough getting the OEM sights off, but getting the Hacks on is proving difficult. I am using cardboard to pad the slide, and it isn't holding well. Gluing some leather to the clamps would probably help.

tremiles
01-08-2012, 03:31 AM
I've had really bad experiences with the B&J machine "tool". No matter how I snug the slide it always seems to cant, which causes the pusher to slide up off the sight or even dig in. Threads on the pusher have stripped. Since I've consolidated to the M&P platform, I purchased the Ameriglo/MGW tool and I've been very happy with it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

JV_
01-08-2012, 07:01 AM
I've had really bad experiences with the B&J machine "tool". No matter how I snug the slide it always seems to cant, which causes the pusher to slide up off the sight or even dig in. Threads on the pusher have stripped.I've had the same problems, even going back to when it was the owned by P.I.

I would pass on it.

orionz06
02-20-2012, 12:40 PM
An update to what I use. I have changed 5 or 6 sets of sights in the past few weeks and have been using a brass rod and found it to be better than most other pushers I have tried. If using a pusher it would be a dedicated MGW pusher, but the brass rod just works. Buy a few feet of it and shape the end as needed.

MattInFla
02-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Useful tidbit of info:

The MGW Glock tool will also accept an M&P slide, but you need to remove the backplate and striker assembly from the M&P slide.

Matt

JV_
02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
The MGW Glock tool will also accept an M&P slideI use the M&P sight tool on my Glocks.

orionz06
02-21-2012, 01:19 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/78c5ce37.jpg

Useful tidbit of info:

The MGW Glock tool will also accept an M&P slide, but you need to remove the backplate and striker assembly from the M&P slide.

Matt

I use the M&P sight tool on my Glocks.

I have used the M&P tool on Glocks as well.

bdcheung
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM

www.sightpusher.com

I just ordered this one (primarily due to price).

wrt81
02-25-2012, 01:41 PM

If you could post your thoughts on this one once you get it that'd be great. I usually just use a vise, a brass punch, and a hammer but if this one works with a variety of sights I might give it a shot.

bdcheung
03-22-2012, 12:19 PM

I received it and do not recommend it.

I ended up shelling out the money for the MGW M&P sight pusher. It is WELL worth the money.

The "universal" tool is OK, but it doesn't do nearly a good a job as the M&P-specific tool.

My primary complaints with the universal tool:
- Does not adequately secure the slide vertically. The tool isn't sized for the M&P slide (or any slide) meaning you've got to some creative shimming underneath the gun.
- Does not prevent the slide from rolling as a result of the force imparted by the "pushing" part of the sight pusher. I nearly bent a front sight post because I initially didn't realize the slide had rolled a little bit.

If I had to go back and do it over again, I'd skip the cheap tool and get the purpose-made one.

Buy once, cry once.

wrt81
03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll pass on it and probably just stick with the caveman method for now.