PDA

View Full Version : Shooting With and Without Corrective Lenses

KentF
04-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Using a diagnostic target I found on the web, I did two tests today with my P30. Both tests consisted of 10 rounds from the ready position. I would push out, fire one shot then go back to ready. Nothing was timed and the shots were at a slow pace. Distance to target, 7 yards. Ammunition used was CCI Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ.

This first target was without corrective lenses (I currently wear progressive lens bifocal glasses):

This second target was shot wearing my glasses:

It is hard to see, but I dropped one shot right below the street address on the target. I did call this as I fired it and it was entirely my fault. I also realized that I was rushing a little more on this target than I did with the first.

Other than the obvious problems indicated by the targets, I noticed that the gun seems to be shooting a little low. I ended up holding the so the top of the dot on the front sight was aligned with the top of the rear sight. This puts the top edge of the front sight slightly above the rear, not even with it.

Although the front sight was somewhat blurred without my glasses, I do think I can see well enough to use my gun in a defensive situation without them if the need arises.

I recently visited my eye doctor and am awaiting my contact lenses to come in.

Tomorrow, I am planning on doing a short comparison between the P30 and my Browning Hi-Power.

mongooseman
05-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm approaching fifty and started wearing bi-focals about a year ago. After a few frustrating trips to the range I realized I was having problems picking up the front sight and had not realized it because I have the lens without the lines. To get a good view of the front sight picture I had to tilt my head back to see thru the lower part of the lens. I now almost exclusively wear contacts to work (law enforcement) andto the range. I can see well enough for combat shooting, but here's a visible difference in my corrected and uncorrected groups.

41magfan
05-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I can relate to your situation. It takes almost +3.00 diopters of correction for me to see the front sight clearly these days. I wear traditional segmented bifocals that cannot correct for a clear front sight so my only solution (if I were looking for one) would be a pair of glasses made specifically for shooting.

That's not very practical and to tell you the truth I'm not really hindered from the practical use of a handgun with uncorrected vision. I do however, use the widest sight notches (or narrowed front sights) available, as I had previously found them very useful many years ago when I did have decent acuity.

When I miss (in any practical application of the gun) - it's because my trigger finger has malfunctioned - not my eyes. :^(

oboe
05-02-2011, 08:13 PM
As one of the "old eyes tribe", I also have these decisions and challenges. I wear either my progressive focus no-line multi-focal glasses, or Bausch & Lomb PureVision Multi-focal contacts. The contacts have no line, but they do allow your eye to focus at the distance required - near or far. For sports like skiing, the same lens in a straight distance prescription is very clear - but for the challenges discussed in this thread, the Multi-focals are made to order. They won't be the same as reading glasses for reading, and they won't be the same as distance-only lenses for distance. They take to getting used to. That said, they may be the holy grail for pistol shooting. YMMV

MikeO
05-05-2011, 10:34 AM
To get a good view of the front sight picture I had to tilt my head back to see thru the lower part of the lens.

Ditto. In my case, I found I could see the front sight using my left eye instead of my right eye. IOW, I can see the sights as well w my left eye and a normal head position/combat stance as I could w head back w the right... a quick and simple fix for me.

I also found out if I used a trad target stance, sideways w extended arm, the pistol was out far enough I could see it just fine w my right eye.

If I want to use/see the sights for precision that is; that means far away and slow. I will admit most of the time for up close and fast, I just keep both eyes open and do the best I can w what I see. What I get is good enough.

JHC
05-07-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm 53 and very near sighted since forever.
The solution which took at least 10 years off the age of my eyesight for shooting irons was monovision with contacts. One contact at full correction and the other maybe 80% of full correction.

Optometrists first try to was too much - maybe 60% correction in the one - optimized for close reading but it distorted the bino world too much. I wanted it dialed in for a front pistol sight anyway so moving it out to around 80% makes the bino world look great - 20/20 and sights much more clear.

oboe
06-05-2011, 01:52 PM
OK, now for some recent experience and a search for a universal [!] solution -

I have now received and am using the "distance only" Purvision contacts. Distance vision is exceedingly sharp. Reading directional and street signs at highway speeds has never been easier. At the computer or while reading, I just use the appropriate reading glasses.

Here's the rub: While shooting the S&W M&P9 fs at an indoor range, with its "romantic light level", I had a lot of trouble seeing just where was the front sight. Once I discovered that the bit of fuzz out there is the front sight, shooting improved. Now, obviously, if I knew in advance that I'd be competing, I would not be wearing the "distance only" contacts. That said, defensive situations most likely appear with such advance knowledge. I could be jumping out of bed with no vision correction [and see the front sight very well at arm's length], I could be in any number of settings wearing progressive focus eyeglasses, multi-focal contacts, or these great for distance awful for reading "distance only" contacts.

I've decided that I should learn to shoot with the most difficult circumstances - "distance only" contacts and "romantic range light" surroundings. At many indoor ranges, the target is well lit, but the light hitting the visible portion of the sights is not so hot. I feel that I need to find a color of front sight that I can distinguish from the haze.

I will start another thread on this subject, but if any of you have thoughts on this, please do post them - either here or there.

JM Campbell
06-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Paint the front sight with a orange paint pen. That should help you out.