PDA

View Full Version : Interrupting my normal pablum for a different kind of pablum: Free Kaitlyn Hunt....

BaiHu
05-21-2013, 02:25 PM
This seems so ridiculous and arbitrary that I'd like to be told where I'm wrong.

Short story: 18 year old girl is in a consenting relationship with a 15 year old girl in the same High School. Older girl facing felony charges.

Hunt-Smith wrote that the girls had started dating at the beginning of the school year, and that their "mutual consenting relationship" had been known to both parents for months prior to the arrest.

The state attorney's office has offered Kaitlyn Hunt a plea deal which includes two years' house arrest and a year of probation, which would stay on her adult record and limit her career choices, according to Examiner.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/19/kaitlyn-hunt-florida-teen-felony-same-sex_n_3302713.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

TCinVA
05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Lacking in many important details. The authorities are capable of all manner of ills like attempting to prosecute two teenagers in the same high school who are dating, but often there's more to the story than news reports include that somewhat alters the narrative.

LHS
05-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Where I grew up, an 18-year-old boy having sex with a 15-year-old girl would be considered statutory rape. There seems to be an effort to paint this as an anti-gay prosecution, but I've yet to see anything that would suggest that beyond the opinion's of the older girl's family. So far, it seems like clear-cut statutory rape charges. Know the law, and choose accordingly.

This seems so ridiculous and arbitrary that I'd like to be told where I'm wrong.

Short story: 18 year old girl is in a consenting relationship with a 15 year old girl in the same High School. Older girl facing felony charges.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/19/kaitlyn-hunt-florida-teen-felony-same-sex_n_3302713.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

BaiHu
05-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Guess it's my NJ leanings. High school sex between seniors and freshmen is kinda where sex starts.

Never mind my ignorance and go back to your regular broadcast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

LHS
05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Guess it's my NJ leanings. High school sex between seniors and freshmen is kinda where sex starts.

Never mind my ignorance and go back to your regular broadcast.

Most jurisdictions these days have 'Romeo and Juliet' laws that slide the age of consent based on the respective ages of the participants (if memory serves, the age of consent in WV was 18, but there was a two-year wiggle room, i.e. a 16-year-old could legally have sex with an 18-year-old, etc), and I'm in favor of such laws. This seems to fall outside those bounds, though.

ToddG
05-21-2013, 07:47 PM
What are the consent laws in NJ? If this would have amounted to statutory rape between a male and female student then it would be discrimination not to prosecute the older girl in this case. Certainly no one wants to suggest that a young teen who identifies himself (or herself) as homosexual somehow surrenders the protection afforded by the law to heterosexual children.

BaiHu
05-21-2013, 08:34 PM
What are the consent laws in NJ? If this would have amounted to statutory rape between a male and female student then it would be discrimination not to prosecute the older girl in this case. Certainly no one wants to suggest that a young teen who identifies himself (or herself) as homosexual somehow surrenders the protection afforded by the law to heterosexual children.

I believe 13-15 in NJ allows a 4 year gap. Example: 14 and 18 is fine as long as it's not a work environment (abuse of power) or family (incest).

Nephrology
05-22-2013, 07:41 AM

I think it is worth mentioning that the discretion of those enforcing the laws is just as relevant as the word of the law itself. In this case, I don't think it is necessarily a leap of the imagination to say that it is possible these two young girls were given more attention than other couples of similar age gaps at their high school. I would be flabbergasted if this was the first reletionship between a 15 and 18 year old at that particular high school.

If it is true that the law is being inequitably enforced because of their sexual orientation (which would not require a great deal of suspension of disbelief, IMO) then it is indeed a disgrace.

BaiHu
05-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Agreed and my only point in this matter....

WobblyPossum
05-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't know much about the nuances of statutory rape law, but the article made it sound like the two girls first started dating when they were both minors. One of them has a birthday and something that was legal the day prior is no longer legal. That sounds a lot lot what we talk about when referring to gun control laws making law-abiding citizens into felons overnight. Is there nothing in the law allowing a relationship to continue if it began while it was still legal?

BaiHu
05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
If anyone cares:

http://spectator.org/blog/2013/05/29/kaitlyn-hunt-lesbian-sex-14

Since the 18-year-old ex-cheerleader rejected a plea bargain on charges of lewd and lascivious conduct — it is a felony under Florida law for an adult to have sex with anyone under 16 — officials in Indian River County have braced themselves for the potential of a trial that could become a worldwide media circus. The Sheriff’s Office, charged with security at the courthouse in Vero Beach, is reportedly “having conversations about what a new security plan will look like if there’s protestors and a crush of media.”

According to the Feb. 16 arrest affidavit, Hunt admitted to having sex in a school toilet stall with the 14-year-old, a freshman teammate on the Sebastian High School varsity girls basketball squad. Such sordid details don’t seem to matter to those who’ve bought into the “Free Kate” narrative of Hunt as an innocent victim of homophobia, being prosecuted for a “schoolgirl crush” or a “high-school romance.”

If you're going to change the law, then change the law and I guess this is one of those cases that pushes to get the law changed. If every other kid got nicked for sex on school property b/w a freshmen and a senior, we'd probably have to remove 5-10% of the HS population, no?

TCinVA
05-30-2013, 01:18 PM
It certainly calls into question the age of consent laws and whether or not they really make sense where they are at.

PPGMD
06-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Most jurisdictions these days have 'Romeo and Juliet' laws that slide the age of consent based on the respective ages of the participants (if memory serves, the age of consent in WV was 18, but there was a two-year wiggle room, i.e. a 16-year-old could legally have sex with an 18-year-old, etc), and I'm in favor of such laws. This seems to fall outside those bounds, though.

Florida has one, it is 16-23 years old. Since the younger one is 15 they are just outside the range.