PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Rifle Scope

RoyGBiv
05-17-2013, 08:31 AM
No, not kidding... Would be interesting to see the accelerometer data too..
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/05/16/inteliscope-iphone-riflescope-2/

An app for the phone overlays a reticle on iPhone camera’s video feed, as well as other useful ballistic and weather information. The app also allows the user to digitally zoom in up to 5x and can act as a shot timer.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/product-hero-660x371.jpg

JHC
05-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Very cool. A crude representation of where "optics" are probably headed. A tiny electronic sight that gives me 1x-52x magnification plus gosh knows how many other calculated features (range finding, BDC etc).

SecondsCount
05-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Very cool. A crude representation of where "optics" are probably headed. A tiny electronic sight that gives me 1x-52x magnification plus gosh knows how many other calculated features (range finding, BDC etc).

Your choices of reticles would be unlimited as well. With the prices of quality optics exceeding $1K, and the cost of imaging devices and processing power shrinking, I think it is very possible that the future options list will be more about the software than the hardware.

Byron
05-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Would be interesting to see the accelerometer data too
With current technology, that actually interests me far more than the prospect of a smartphone scope. I'd love to see individuals have access to more rigorous data collection regarding recoil impulse, duration, recovery, etc. I've seen a number of people over the years who wanted to set up rigs for comparing recoil and muzzle devices, but most that I've seen never got past the planning stage.

As for tiny electronic cameras that zoom eleventy billion times? Meh.
I don't doubt that we'll eventually have such things, but keep in mind that even with all of our advances in imaging technology, anyone who cares even the least bit about seeing distant objects wants optical magnification, not digital.

I'd love to ditch a number of my (comparatively) heavy DSLR lenses if a digital zoom could come anywhere close in clarity and image quality, but that's just not realistic yet.

When deciding whether or not to take a shot, this is the last thing I would want to see in my rifle scope:

http://www.aspexdesign.co.uk/tutorials/10-times-zoom.jpg

And even if they made it clearer, selecting an aiming point based on the extremely heavy interpolation of pixels doesn't exactly fill me with the warm and fuzzies.

With the prices of quality optics exceeding $1K, and the cost of imaging devices and processing power shrinking, I think it is very possible that the future options list will be more about the software than the hardware.
I think the hardware has a long way to go before that becomes true.

None of my above comments even come close to touching on a number of other logistical concerns, such as the battery power required to run a digital screen for long periods of time, the cost of a display that would be visible across lighting conditions, etc.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer. I do indeed think these technologies will eventually become commonplace in weapon sights. I just think a good number of issues need to be tackled first.

Josh Runkle
05-17-2013, 12:32 PM
This is positive tech for the next 10-20 years. Imagine being able to clarify what something is downrange, then backing off the magnification. Imagine being able to record at will, take photos of something far downrange, etc. the applications as a CURRENT main optic are very limited, but the applications as a secondary optic 10 yrs from now seem really good to me.

BobLoblaw
05-17-2013, 04:20 PM
The idea is awesome but practical application in today's world is limited. My wife has a knack for calling at the worst times. This product would give her the opportunity to top her list of untimely calls.

Sal Picante
05-17-2013, 05:37 PM
The idea is awesome but practical application in today's world is limited. My wife has a knack for calling at the worst times. This product would give her the opportunity to top her list of untimely calls.

:D

NEPAKevin
06-23-2015, 09:52 AM
In a few minutes, Amazon Lightning Deal (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZMGAH2/ref=gb1h_img_c-2_0842_b06ddb01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=1A632VDA49TNJN3B3QG4&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=2072380842) starts.

Drang
06-23-2015, 06:43 PM
"Not now, honey, I have to shoot a mother f***er..."