PDA

View Full Version : New [to me] P-35 Browning

1986s4
05-15-2013, 10:57 AM
I have read with some interest some recent discussion here concerning the P-35 Browning. I have always liked them but not owned one. I knew of their issues beforehand and examined them in my LGS. Poor trigger, not much room for error on the mag well, minimal protection for the web of the hand from hammer bite, expensive and questionable longevity. Two weeks ago I saw a really nice P-35. A Practical model with hard chromed frame. Little to no use, two mags, the tougher cast frame, box and a hard to ignore price. It seemed brand new and the trigger wasn't as bad as I remembered so I bought it.

I got to test it yesterday and I really like it. I tested it with a grab bag of factory ball with some HP's, no issues. My own reloads also no problem with better accuracy, not that the factory loads were bad. The trigger has the usual longish take up to a heavyish but crisp let off, not much over travel. Long reset but not an issue for a guy who shoot DA revolvers regularly. After a few hundred rounds the trigger seemed to get a little lighter and better.

I tested it out to 20 yards and liked the results. The sights are regulated perfectly for my eyes. My hands are large but very lean and bony so hammer bite with a high grip was not a problem.

Overall I like it so I will invest in mags and shoot it more.

Best,
1986s4

JAD
05-15-2013, 11:00 AM
I've been driving an Israeli trade in for a while. I find it to be delightful. I have recently had minor work done by MARS Armament and am going to go hunt down a backup.

JonInWA
05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Congratulations on your Hi Power. For magazines, I'd suggest checking with FN USA; start with their On-Line Store. Their prices seem to be a bit lower (particularly for magazines) than Browning Parts' are. Otherwise, I order my parts directly from Browning Parts-even springs. I tend to trust their springs a bit more than some of the after-market manufacturers. It can help if you go to the Browning website, and download and print out the Hi Power specific pages, so you can specifically discuss and cross-check parts/parts numbers with the Browning Parts people-they tend to work off the numbers.

I plan on using my .40 Mk III tomorrow for an IDPA Classifier for Enhanced Service Pistol.

Best, Jon

Clyde from Carolina
05-15-2013, 09:04 PM
I love the Hi Power. If you haven't already, go to Stephen A. Camp's site on them:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

He wrote a bunch of good articles (and a book) about them before passing too soon a couple years ago. His work on the Hi Power was great. I have dabbled in them, but never had a really great one (meaning a nice custom).

My first centre fire handgun round was fired with one (Nazi occupation-made gun) that was my father's. Still have the gun and a permit for it from the 'Territory of Hawaii' dated late 50s IIRC. Been in our family quite a while and still works well.

Super J
05-27-2013, 06:09 AM
Congrats on your hi-power

28Shooter
05-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Congratulations on the new HiPower! Definitely my favorite semi-auto handgun.

1986s4
05-28-2013, 11:50 AM
So I thought I would update. Been shooting it lately. Two IDPA matches with flawless function. Not unusual in my collection of pistols but nice to know anyway. I might start the 2000 round challenge when I get some more pistol powder. My shooting is on hold due the recent powder run. I am liking the trigger which I know is unheard of with the P-35 Browning. Maybe I have no taste... I am not spoiled by a well tuned government model. It has a longish take up with a crisp [un-weighed but I think 5-8#] let off with almost zero over travel. I find it better than a Glock for my use. Best trigger pulls are had with the nickel plated Mec-Gar mags. At my last match I launched an unintentional double that landed in the -0 portion of the target. So I must be getting used to the reset.

So far it shows no preference for bullet weight. I am using 135gr in my reloads. VV N320 leaves a rather clean pistol. I wish the mags dropped free but I am not going to remove the mag disconnect as annoying as it is at unload and show clear.