PDA

View Full Version : New Ride

JM Campbell
05-10-2013, 04:31 PM
After my F250 was stolen I went on the search for some new wheels. Tom gave me some help and I decided on a 2013 VW GTI. Huge change from a F250 but I'm digging it.

Did a full detail with paint correction and coated the paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

JDM
05-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Nice looking car!!

JM Campbell
05-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Gracias amigo! Took a lot of work to make it that nice. Dealer installed swirls and scratches. Water spots that looked like a connect the dot coloring book. If the yahoos that did the original detail for delivery worked for me.....I would have given them their last paycheck and a pen.

JDM
05-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Gracias amigo! Took a lot of work to make it that nice. Dealer installed swirls and scratches. Water spots that looked like a connect the dot coloring book. If the yahoos that did the original detail for delivery worked for me.....I would have given them their last paycheck and a pen.

No joke on the amount of work. I hit my entire truck, a 2000 4runner, last weekend with a fine cut compound and then a good wax. By hand. I was tired.

Worth it though. Truck looks 14 days old instead of 14 years. :)

Joe in PNG
05-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Sweet. Now I've got to post pics of my new (to me) 1970's vintage FJ40 Landcruiser.

JM Campbell
05-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Gratifying though!!

JDM
05-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Gratifying though!!

Agreed.

If you want something done right...

SecondsCount
05-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Looks good, I really like the color.

I have had a few VW's including a TDI Jetta and a TDI New Beetle. Both were pretty good cars overall and I miss the Beetle. 48MPG and handled like a sports car.

MD7305
05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Nice car. I previously owned two MKIV Jettas. VWs can be fun cars. See http://vwvortex.com if you hadn't found it yet.

Thread Derail Warning I'm a detailing know-nothing. Any advice on getting started, the right way?

JDM
05-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Nice car. I previously owned two MKIV Jettas. VWs can be fun cars. See http://vwvortex.com if you hadn't found it yet.

Thread Derail Warning I'm a detailing know-nothing. Any advice on getting started, the right way?

It would be awesome if you started a thread to share a little detailing knowledge, Skyline!

orionz06
05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Isn't that rock hard clearcoat fun to correct? I still need to get a Flex to cut the work down a little.

That color oughta look real good with some Wolfgang Fuzion.

JM Campbell
05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
CQuartz is the coating. No waxing for me!

CQuartz dlux on the trim and grille. Water flys off the car.

LOKNLOD
05-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Sweet. Now I've got to post pics of my new (to me) 1970's vintage FJ40 Landcruiser.

No disrespect to the OPs thread, but PLEASE DO! Loves me some FJ40.

JM Campbell
05-10-2013, 07:10 PM
No disrespect to the OPs thread, but PLEASE DO! Loves me some FJ40.

UMMMMM DUHHHH!
Please do I love me some FJ too.

LOKNLOD
05-10-2013, 07:53 PM
UMMMMM DUHHHH!
Please do I love me some FJ too.

Do we have a rides thread? Because need a rides thread...

JDM
05-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Do we have a rides thread? Because need a rides thread...

We had a "What do you drive" thread some time ago, but, me thinks we need another.

This time, we are to include photographs.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/11/y8avunas.jpg

NickA
05-11-2013, 08:45 AM
OK, OK, you win. We can take your car to ECQC next week :p(provided it can hold all our rampage gear).
Nice work man, I'll have to learn some tricks from you.

JM Campbell
05-11-2013, 08:48 AM
OK, OK, you win. We can take your car to ECQC next week :p(provided it can hold all our rampage gear).

Well if you don't pack like a girl we're all good. ;)

NickA
05-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Well if you don't pack like a girl we're all good. ;)

Packing everything I own for a shooting class except a backup gun is a great plan:cool:

JM Campbell
05-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Packing everything I own for a shooting class except a backup gun is a great plan:cool:

Please not again....:D

orionz06
05-11-2013, 01:40 PM

His Gti will sufficiently carry enough rampage for two people.

jstyer
05-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Sweet car my man... I have 2000 gti for a daily, love it. Fun, handy, and good on gas. What more could you want in an every say ride?

JM Campbell
05-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Pic of some swirls

Some form of clear etching caused buy caustic rinse aid from lot washers. Look into the light reflection and you'll see spots.

MD7305
05-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Is that color "platinum grey?"

Shellback
05-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Highly recommend turbo tuning those little 2.0T engines. I had the wife's VW done, APR Stage 1, and it's a night and day performance difference. Worth every penny in my book.

JM Campbell
05-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Ball park price?

orionz06
05-11-2013, 07:15 PM
$400-$750 for a tune. APR and Unitronics are the two I would look into and I may go Unitronics. Both are great but I think I have a closer Uni dealer and the Vortex guys seem to favor them now.

JM Campbell
05-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Are these flash programs? I have an extended VW contract to 100k.

JM Campbell
05-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Is that color "platinum grey?"

I'm sorry for missing that! I'm not sure, I'll check the msrp label after work.

MD7305
05-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry for missing that! I'm not sure, I'll check the msrp label after work.

Just curious, kinda looks like it. Looks great!

I had never heard of the cQuartz products and have been reading about them this evening. They sound fantastic, did you utilize a series of their products to achieve your results (iron-x, ixss)? Up until now I've bought my car cleaning products at the same place I buy groceries so my eyes are being opened a little here, lol!

JM Campbell
05-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Carbon steel grey metallic is the exterior color.

I used:

IronX for iron decontamination
Fine clay
TarX to remove some road tar

Compounding/buffing
Rupes 21 Bigfoot
M105
Rupes fine gel

Removed compound/wax oils remnants with Eraser
Then applied 4 Star Ultimate Paint Seal.

About two months later i did a touch up wash and one step buff before applying the CQuartz.

orionz06
05-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Is the Rupes worth it over the Flex?

JM Campbell
05-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Never used a flex but the Rupes is one bad boy. Check out WWW.buffdaddy.com Kevin is one hell of a nice Guy and will explain or answer anything about the rupes or M105/205 you could ever want to know.

I helped a buddy correct this Tesla with my Rupes. I think it worked very well!

TCinVA
05-11-2013, 10:30 PM
I've been lusting after a Rupes for some time...but so far I've just stuck with my Meguiars branded Porter Cable. I paid $100 for it many moons ago and it's been a great piece of equipment,

orionz06
05-11-2013, 10:33 PM
I held off on the Flex, largely because of time. Now it's the Rupes and I'm still not sure. That's a lot of coin to drop but the time savings...

ToddG
05-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Or this (http://www.flagshipcarwash.com/category/7985/rockville-car-wash-services.htm).

BigT
05-12-2013, 05:53 AM
Or this (http://www.flagshipcarwash.com/category/7985/rockville-car-wash-services.htm).

Sense. This post makes it.

JM Campbell
05-12-2013, 06:02 AM

I cry for your car buddy. Tunnel of Doom.

JM Campbell
05-12-2013, 06:13 AM
I held off on the Flex, largely because of time. Now it's the Rupes and I'm still not sure. That's a lot of coin to drop but the time savings...

In my opinion all you really need is a Griots and a good pad selection if your a hobbyist ($125 +$ for pads). If your actually in the biz you you should have a few machines. I'm actually going to pick up 2 Groits, another Rupes and a Rupes 75 3" air power for the small hard to reach areas.

If you were closer Tom I'd let you take the Rupes for a whirl. It is quite a machine.

TCinVA
05-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Sense. This post makes it.

Unfortunately most car washes...and most detailing services for that matter...don't know what they are doing and consequently end up swirling the crap out of your clear coat. Most cars on the road looks like crap at least in significant part because of bad car wash technique.

JM Campbell
05-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Unfortunately most car washes...and most detailing services for that matter...don't know what they are doing and consequently end up swirling the crap out of your clear coat. Most cars on the road looks like crap at least in significant part because of bad car wash technique.

Amen....don't spread the word too much, I'd be going broke.

BigT
05-12-2013, 12:02 PM

Between my technical ineptitude and my mild add I have more faith in the nice man at the carwash than the trauma effected on my paintwork by me

orionz06
05-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Are these flash programs? I have an extended VW contract to 100k.

Yes they are.

I cry for your car buddy. Tunnel of Doom.

Almost a crime for a nice car to be washed there.

It is the detailing equivalent of Uncle Rico teaching firearms classes.

http://pastormattblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/uncle-rico-picture.jpg

Shellback
05-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Ball park price?

$400-$750 for a tune. APR and Unitronics are the two I would look into and I may go Unitronics. Both are great but I think I have a closer Uni dealer and the Vortex guys seem to favor them now.

I'm not real up to date on which one is the preferred software anymore but we've been happy with the APR. They have occasional sales and they'll notify you if you do their email subscription on their page.

The programming takes less than 10 minutes and is a simple flash. We've had her car serviced multiple times at the VW dealership and they haven't said a word about the programming or suspension, KW coil overs.

orionz06
05-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I am not gonna jump out and say VW embraces the enthusiast but I have never heard of anyone getting denied a warranty claim due to mods unrelated to the problem. I have seen folks crank their boost and get denied but a "Stage I" flash and an intake will provide the biggest gains, improve mileage, and VW will mostly ignore them.

JM Campbell
05-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I am not gonna jump out and say VW embraces the enthusiast but I have never heard of anyone getting denied a warranty claim due to mods unrelated to the problem. I have seen folks crank their boost and get denied but a "Stage I" flash and an intake will provide the biggest gains, improve mileage, and VW will mostly ignore them.

My wife's gonna kill me...oh well its for better mileage.

ToddG
05-12-2013, 03:06 PM
My wife's gonna kill me...oh well its for better mileage.

I should get one of those for my car, then. Wife would love it to get better mileage. :cool:

Dan_S
05-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Man, this thread makes me almost re-think my next car purchase... Selling the truck, and am thinking that I'll look for a Volvo...but....that VW makes me jealous....

:cool:

Mr. Goodtimes
05-13-2013, 02:21 PM

Great looking car man, when I bought my 2012 Tacoma I specifically told the dealer not to touch it once it got there and that while I greatly appreciated their offer to detail it, I would be doing it my self when I got home.

JM Campbell
05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Great looking car man, when I bought my 2012 Tacoma I specifically told the dealer not to touch it once it got there and that while I greatly appreciated their offer to detail it, I would be doing it my self when I got home.

I'm ashamed to say in my profession that is the best if it is straight off the transport truck...then again you should see some of the factory oopps that I have seen over the years (Chrysler Jeep Dodge Nissan Kia smartcar fiat)

Problem is that most dealers use a subcontractor that pays minimum wag or slightly higher to a bunch of kids or slackers that just don't care and are looking toward Friday to get their beer money.

Its a lot of hard work and time to do it the right way and unfortunately dealers want it right now and yesterday....I all ways say done right or done right now, pick one.

I'm looking to separate from the dealer side and do more upscale detailing and some custom work. If it pans out I'll throw up a thread on what I'm working on from time to time.

orionz06
05-13-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm looking to separate from the dealer side and do more upscale detailing and some custom work. If it pans out I'll throw up a thread on what I'm working on from time to time.

Do it. Get a website and a few decent documented corrections and boom!

TCinVA
05-14-2013, 03:16 PM

I told the dealer the same thing...but apparently because I didn't promise to brand my name into his forhead with a crudely shaped branding iron after force-feeding him his own digits cooked in a light sauce that message didn't get through and the butchers they have on staff swirled my clearcoat.

Every time I catch a glimpse of one I want to cave in his face with a tire iron.

JM Campbell
05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
2013 Titan with factory touch up fresh off the truck....shameless .....

Look into the blue lift....the hazed out splotches are touch up paint inside of chips. Phone wont focus on it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/15/8a7e6y2e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/15/upa4y6a9.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/15/gyqage2e.jpg

DGI
05-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Traded my 2000 wrangler of 13 years for a 2008 R32... Havent looked back. Your gonna love the new wheels!

TGS
05-14-2013, 09:53 PM
On my last car (2005 Subaru WRX STi, platinum silver), I never invested in a porter cable or any of those as it was something I enjoyed doing at the time. I did it by hand. Always bought my products from Autogeek.net. I took a lot of care for that car....it ended up driving me nuts as a daily driver as I was so anal retentive about its cleanliness and appearance. I never had a perfect mirror like finish as shown in your pics, though.

I used an acrylic product by Klasse instead of waxing.....what do you make of those, Skyline?

Also, what would you suggest for yellowing head lights? I've tried using compounds, which cleaned it up a bit followed by a UV protection spray. Still, the plastic yellows within a month. My current car is a beater with 212,000 miles and swirls out the wazoo, but the lack of output by the head lights is pretty annoying. Really annoying compared to the HID lights on my last car.....

JM Campbell
05-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Never have used Klasse or any acrylic products to my knowledge. Can't hold an opinion if I've never played with them.

Head lights:

Pop Hood, tape of painted areas around head lights.
800 grit
3000 grit wet sand paper or 3" sanding discs (WWW.buffdaddy.com has an outstanding combo kit that you can add a palm sander to save your hands for around $30 iirc)

I like to use M105 on my 3" rotary after the sanding to clear out the sanding haze.

You can then seal with opti-coat lens (you can find that at autotality.com or dealerclub.com if you have a membership. This coating is advertised as permanent) if you have some buddies with foggy lights pool your money and split the cost you should be able to do @ 3-5 head light sets if the opti-coat lens is a 10cc syringe. I'm not sure on the size sold to consumers, I've only been around the pro installer kit.

Hope this helps you out.

JM Campbell
05-15-2013, 07:09 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/16/9y4y9uru.jpgA little goodness from last night.

orionz06
05-15-2013, 07:26 PM
CQuartz is the coating. No waxing for me!

CQuartz dlux on the trim and grille. Water flys off the car.

How is it as a coating? Do you use a LSP over it?

Traded my 2000 wrangler of 13 years for a 2008 R32... Havent looked back. Your gonna love the new wheels!

I miss my mkV .:R

On my last car (2005 Subaru WRX STi, platinum silver), I never invested in a porter cable or any of those as it was something I enjoyed doing at the time. I did it by hand. Always bought my products from Autogeek.net. I took a lot of care for that car....it ended up driving me nuts as a daily driver as I was so anal retentive about its cleanliness and appearance. I never had a perfect mirror like finish as shown in your pics, though.

I used an acrylic product by Klasse instead of waxing.....what do you make of those, Skyline?

Also, what would you suggest for yellowing head lights? I've tried using compounds, which cleaned it up a bit followed by a UV protection spray. Still, the plastic yellows within a month. My current car is a beater with 212,000 miles and swirls out the wazoo, but the lack of output by the head lights is pretty annoying. Really annoying compared to the HID lights on my last car.....

Klasse was always more trouble than it was worth. Collinite lasts as long for me in the winter and goes on easier.

Yellowing headlights, as I have found, can really happen often with hotter bulbs. Skyline outlines exactly what I do except the coating is newer, I used a different sealant. Ironically it was Klasse as I needed to get rid of it.

Never have used Klasse or any acrylic products to my knowledge. Can't hold an opinion if I've never played with them.

Head lights:

Pop Hood, tape of painted areas around head lights.
800 grit
3000 grit wet sand paper or 3" sanding discs (WWW.buffdaddy.com has an outstanding combo kit that you can add a palm sander to save your hands for around $30 iirc)

I like to use M105 on my 3" rotary after the sanding to clear out the sanding haze.

You can then seal with opti-coat lens (you can find that at autotality.com or dealerclub.com if you have a membership. This coating is advertised as permanent) if you have some buddies with foggy lights pool your money and split the cost you should be able to do @ 3-5 head light sets if the opti-coat lens is a 10cc syringe. I'm not sure on the size sold to consumers, I've only been around the pro installer kit.

Hope this helps you out.

If anyone is interested I am gonna shamelessly promote DetailersClub.com. I know the guy, if that matters. It is worth it and I can get prices for interested parties. There are referral benefits so I appreciate brownie points. It is one guy, T, from Autoality and it is his business and he's put a lot into it and is the most involved business owner I have ever seen with regards to online communities and getting what the customers want.

JM Campbell
05-15-2013, 08:13 PM
No LSP on the CQuartz. Just reload to refresh the lotus effect. ONR WW is awesome with the CQ.

orionz06
05-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I have the Ultima stuff in my basement, still haven't used it...

I need to go full on correction on both cars and the VW CC does not thrill me one bit. Debating Flex or Rupes still.

JM Campbell
05-15-2013, 08:53 PM
UWW+ is some good stuff, I mixed some up at qd strength to play with at work and has worked very well. ONRs wash and wax (carnuba, it's the green one) is really nice as a qd spray, I like it the most as a qd.

If you want CQ let me know. I have a regular CQ pack that has your name on it if your interested. Should be enough for both your cars.

JM Campbell
05-17-2013, 01:57 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/18/u7u7amuh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/18/re8e7y2u.jpgHad to shoot the horse today...

ECQC Houston pulling up to the hotel was t boned.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/18/e3ytaga9.jpg

Waiting on ins to get rental so Nick and I can make tonight's class!

JV_
05-17-2013, 02:15 PM
That blows.

JM Campbell
05-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Not drivable. Wheel sitting at @ 35* angle.

LOKNLOD
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
That really sucks man. Did the impact right on your wheel? looks like not much body damage to have f'd up your wheel/hub/etc. so badly.

TCinVA
05-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Damn, dude...that sucks!

orionz06
05-17-2013, 03:01 PM
The VAG world would call that 25% of the way towards stance.

JM Campbell
05-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Wheel fender and bumper. Gouges out of wheel and fender is rolled in about 2" we were pushed into the next lane. Soccer mom in a mini van leaving chucky cheese's

EricP
05-17-2013, 03:10 PM
So your truck gets stolen and then a soccer mom hits your new VW? I hope your fortune improves!

JM Campbell
05-17-2013, 03:17 PM
So your truck gets stolen and then a soccer mom hits your new VW? I hope your fortune improves!

Buying lotto ticket. Luck has to change.

Serpico1985
06-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Update?

JM Campbell
06-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Today hopefully I pick it up. Had to wait on parts from Deutchland. All rear suspension except for two pieces was replaced....I might dump this car in a year if it doesn't pan out. If it rides good its going to get a APR stage 1 kit and get run into the ground for 5 years.

NickA
06-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Today hopefully I pick it up. Had to wait on parts from Deutchland. All rear suspension except for two pieces was replaced....I might dump this car in a year if it doesn't pan out. If it rides good its going to get a APR stage 1 kit and get run into the ground for 5 years.

Damn.. Stupid minivans :mad:
So that's right at a month in the shop, hope they got the paint done correctly.
Did you trade up on the rental car or stick with the little white pig we drove back in?

JM Campbell
06-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Paint can be refined, I don't trust them, I already have the supplies to get rid of the orange Peel and blend the area's then it's time to recoat after after cure time is over.

Yeah I kept the pig, teaches me to drive faster to avoid unnecessary contact from soccer moms.

Serpico1985
06-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Cool. I'm jonseing really bad for a Mark 7 GTI to be released next summer. I'm just scared of maintenance cost once the warranty expires.

orionz06
06-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Cool. I'm jonseing really bad for a Mark 7 GTI to be released next summer. I'm just scared of maintenance cost once the warranty expires.

This really grinds my gears...

What is so damned expensive on a non-Murikahn car? Change the oil, check parts when the manual says to, and replace parts when it is convenient. No different with a new Chevy Cruze, Honda Accord, or VW GTI. Synthetic oil is the standard and you will get a minimum of 10k between changes. If you replace the parts yourself you will find that most of the German cars do not cost any more than others and sometimes less. Cost me the same to put OEM pads and Brembo rotors on the wifes car (used 2013 VW parts) as it did to use the "better" pads for my grandmas 2008 Chevy Impala. The only difference is the parts were not over the minimum runout and the pads lasted more than 10k miles on the VW. All of the other odd shit carries odd shit prices, Chevy or German. If you pay someone else to do it the mark up depends on the dealer, not the country of origin. If you have a dealer that dings you on one they'll do it on the other.

/rant

JM Campbell
06-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Preach on brother!