PDA

View Full Version : Southland Axed

NEPAKevin
05-10-2013, 03:50 PM
TNT cancels Southland. (http://tvline.com/2013/05/10/southland-cancelled-tnt/?utm_sourhttp://tvline.com/2013/05/10/southland-cancelled-tnt/?utm_souhttp://tvline.com/2013/05/10/southland-cancelled-tnt)

:(

jlw
05-10-2013, 03:56 PM
That sucks. It was nice to have a cop show that actually acknowledged patrol cops as something other than a prop.

I won't miss Sammy's ex at all though.

JDM
05-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Kitten.

rsa-otc
05-10-2013, 06:17 PM
One of the best Cop shows. Really wondered where the story line would go after John beat the snot out of that guy and then gets badly shot in what looked like suicide by cop attempt.

LittleLebowski
05-10-2013, 06:36 PM
I thought this season was pretty bad.

MD7305
05-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Those bastards! They kill John Cooper (presumably) and then cancel the series? Boycott TNT....after Gran Torino goes off:o

NEPAKevin
05-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Really wondered where the story line would go after John beat the snot out of that guy and then gets badly shot in what looked like suicide by cop attempt.

I thought the same thing myself and wondered if maybe the writers did not know if the series would be renewed and did that as a potential series finale.

JDM
05-10-2013, 08:28 PM
It's been canceled before. Perhaps it'll be resuscitated again. FX maybe?

jlw
05-10-2013, 08:40 PM
It's been canceled before. Perhaps it'll be resuscitated again. FX maybe?

Three of the stars had signed option contracts (not sure what the actual Hollywood term is) for pilots that are in the works. If SouthLAand was renewed, they stayed with SouthLAnd. If not, they were obligated to the new shows.

This is the second cancellation and the show has already run for five seasons. What are the chances of it getting a third life.

It would be nice if they did something like a two-hour TV movie to wrap of the story lines and give the show a proper send off.

jetfire
05-10-2013, 10:35 PM
I thought this season was pretty bad.

Of the TNT seasons, I definitely thought this one was the weakest. I think 3 is probably the best, and the rest go 2-4-1-5. I wasn't into any of the story lines that much, and I really didn't enjoy Ben's arc with him turning into Scumbag Ben.

LittleLebowski
05-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Of the TNT seasons, I definitely thought this one was the weakest. I think 3 is probably the best, and the rest go 2-4-1-5. I wasn't into any of the story lines that much, and I really didn't enjoy Ben's arc with him turning into Scumbag Ben.

Agreed. The dig at the military veteran pissed me off too.

NickA
05-11-2013, 08:51 AM
This sucks.
Have to agree with LL and caleb. I thought the Ben storyline was over the top, but the stuff with Cooper wasn't bad (other than the aforementioned dig at the vet).
I'd like to see some kind of wrap up just to see Cooper hopefully alive and well enough to spit on his father's grave. That guy was one disturbing piece of kitten.

jetfire
05-11-2013, 09:53 AM
I think my beef with season five is that everything except for Sammy's story arc felt forced. Scumbag Ben, Cooper's whole arc; the cliche of the drunken retired cop who doesn't know what to do with himself. The problem with shows that run high on drama like that is the writers always have to find something more dramatic to keep people interested, and doing that leads to eventually jumping the shark. Intense drama shows should really only last 4-6 seasons anyway before people start running out of ideas.

I actually felt the same way about this season of Justified, I mean sure it was really good in places, but it didn't hold up to previous seasons.

NEPAKevin
05-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Agreed. The dig at the military veteran pissed me off too.

His probe partner or the old guy who drove his car onto the golf course?

LittleLebowski
05-12-2013, 02:37 PM
His probe partner or the old guy who drove his car onto the golf course?

Probe. Just sorry writing, perhaps assisted by an LE that had a bone to pick with veterans.

tremiles
05-12-2013, 02:46 PM
On the bright side, the new TNT action hero competition reality show hosted by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson looks like it's going to be terrible.

Thanks for delivering programming to the lowest common denominator TNT. You're awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rsa-otc
05-12-2013, 03:08 PM
the cliche of the drunken retired cop who doesn't know what to do with himself.

While the story line itself was all Cliché and had been over done I think the scene right after the old guy was handcuffed to the radiator and had wet himself was some of Gerald McRaney's finest work. Hated the story line loved the acting.

NEPAKevin
05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Probe. Just sorry writing, perhaps assisted by an LE that had a bone to pick with veterans.

Truth be told, both the probe and the senior veteran stories rubbed me wrong. But then they had the one where Sammy went and and not only checked up on but also cleaned the crime scene in the old lady's house. After that, he could have kidnapped his ex and skinned her alive, fed her through a tree chipper and used the mulch to fertilize Cooper's cactus garden for all I cared.

LittleLebowski
05-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Truth be told, both the probe and the senior veteran stories rubbed me wrong. But then they had the one where Sammy went and and not only checked up on but also cleaned the crime scene in the old lady's house. After that, he could have kidnapped his ex and skinned her alive, fed her through a tree chipper and used the mulch to fertilize Cooper's cactus garden for all I cared.

Yeah, the whole Sammy/ex thing and Ben being a scumbag thing were just awful examples of poor writing. Oh well, Breaking Bad premieres in August.......