PDA

View Full Version : Competition Venues for AIWB and Duty Gear

Mr_White
05-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Some of the LE folks in the New IDPA Rule Book thread are annoyed because they won't be able to run duty gear in IDPA anymore, and they have no wish to use what amounts to gamer gear. I get that, and I am with you guys. That is the problem I have had with IDPA not allowing (and continuing to disallow) AIWB holsters. That's how I really carry, and I have no wish to wear gamer gear to play a concealed carry game.

I shoot USPSA. LEOs with duty gear are welcome there. I have seen it done infrequently.

For those carrying AIWB, you can legally shoot Limited, Limited-10, and Open Divisions in USPSA.

For those using duty gear, I don't know off the top of my head which division you can shoot, but I am sure there are at least a couple.

Some have suggested using a letter writing campaign to get IDPA to relent and allow AIWB. I am not holding my breath (already sent them messages asking for AIWB) but if that campaign starts I will be on board and write IDPA too.

I have another idea though. Shoot USPSA. Generate a groundswell of tactical/defensive-type shooters participating in USPSA matches. AIWB carriers and LEOs with duty gear.

Then, once there are a bunch of us doing it, we promote it by talking on internet forums about how much fun we have and how much it pushes us to improve our technical skills.

Maybe someone can do well in a major match. I have already been winning Limited at the local level.

Once we have some of that going, we get Front Sight magazine to do an article about the home that tactical shooters have found in USPSA, and we shame the living hell out of IDPA. Then maybe they'll allow AIWB.

Or maybe we could even get USPSA to start a Street Division that is kind of a combination of Production and Limited and requires concealment or duty gear. That would be pretty sweet.

Thoughts?

ToddG
05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Finding a venue that lets you shoot the way you want to shoot -- whether it's gear, style, or whatever -- is always a good thing.

Locally we have KSTG (of course), one IDPA club that allows folks to shoot from aiwb not-for-score, and USPSA. The differences between IDPA and USPSA are substantial even though the two look similar on the surface. Add in the personalities of different clubs and the differences can become even bigger.

In simplest terms, IDPA has basically evolved into a lot of complicated drills. You're told exactly what to do, where, and how... then you see who can do it the fastest with the best accuracy. Concealment garments and requirements to use cover
make it moderately more realistic. The game, matches, and stages are purposely designed around the average Joe more than top shooters. The down side to that, of course, is that "realistic" rarely involves complicated or difficult shooting problems.

USPSA, because of its free form style, is a lot more attractive to folks who enjoy the stage planning segment of shooting sports. Figuring out the best way to attack a stage (as opposed to the IDPA-esque "follow the instructions" approach) definitely adds a different dimension. Matches also frequently have much more difficult shooting challenges. Unfortunately, while 50yd El Presidente might be an interesting stage for a GM shooting Open it's really going to be miserable for the D-class Production guy.

Given the leaders, sponsors, and competitors in USPSA I don't really expect a big shift toward any kind of "Street Division," nor rules that make the typical CCW-type competitor able to play without adding a bunch of extra mag pouches, etc.

IDPA, on the other hand, is at least more in tune, conceptually, with the aiwb crowd. Whether they'll reconsider the No AIWB! rule now or in the future I couldn't say.

KSTG franchises are available for $1B each, however, if anyone is interested. :cool:

jlw
05-08-2013, 03:57 PM
While AIWB isn't my cup of preferred beverage, I certainly respect why folks who choose to carry that way would want to compete in a "concealed carry" sport using it instead of having to change everything up to shoot a match.

Mr_White
05-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I know I am dreaming with the whole 'street division in USPSA' thing.

My thread title is a total fail also - I meant for it to say Competition Venues for AIWB and Duty Gear.

jlw
05-08-2013, 04:41 PM

My thread title is a total fail also - I meant for it to say Competition Venues for AIWB and Duty Gear.

There's always KSTG, well, except for the duty gear thing... (grumble)

ToddG
05-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Or I'm just too pessimistic. Plenty of us were amazed by Production and predicted it would never last.

Fixed... free of charge for FAST Coin holders. :cool:

There's always KSTG, well, except for the duty gear thing... (grumble)

There's always NRA's TPC, well, except for anyone who isn't in LE... (grumble) At least you can go shoot all local IDPA matches with your gear, KSTG as long as you're willing to shoot not-for-score, USPSA... Actually, I think that means there are more places you can shoot with your gear than I can shoot with me aiwb.

Mr_White
05-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Or I'm just too pessimistic. Plenty of us were amazed by Production and predicted it would never last.

Fixed... free of charge for FAST Coin holders. :cool:

Thanks dude!

I think I'm probably dreaming, but who knows...I know at least one Area Director is aware of me having a great time shooting my concealed carry gear in Limited and singing the praises on the internet of USPSA for self-defense people. I think if we got a contingent of people doing that, maybe we could out-populate the Revolver Division and maybe Single Stack too in some places. :)

jlw
05-08-2013, 09:26 PM
There's always NRA's TPC, well, except for anyone who isn't in LE... (grumble) At least you can go shoot all local IDPA matches with your gear, KSTG as long as you're willing to shoot not-for-score, USPSA... Actually, I think that means there are more places you can shoot with your gear than I can shoot with me aiwb.

There is one NRA TPC match within driving distance of me, but it never seems to fall on a date when I can shoot it, and looking at the course descriptions and match videos, it is a bit too much track and field for me.

As for shooting not for score, might as well just go do range work and not have a match fee...

JConn
05-08-2013, 09:28 PM
For a skilled shooter, is aiwb faster or slower than ss iwb with a fishing vest? I just wonder if they (idpa and uspsa for every division) are afraid of aiwb basically becoming mandatory to compete, thus creating the perceived need for incompetent shooters to switch thus creating a huge safety concern. I know in kstg it seems that the aiwb crowd does quite well. Of course most of us in nova are practically bathing in that cool aid at this point so.... I know this is obvious stuff but are they afraid of us random oddballs shooting ourselves or are they afraid of a huge equipment shift across the entire game?

orionz06
05-08-2013, 09:30 PM
For a skilled shooter, is aiwb faster or slower than ss iwb with a fishing vest? I just wonder if they (idpa and uspsa for every division) are afraid of aiwb basically becoming mandatory to compete, thus creating the perceived need for incompetent shooters to switch thus creating a huge safety concern. I know in kstg it seems that the aiwb crowd does quite well. Of course most of us are practically bathing in that cool aid at this point so.... I know this is obvious stuff but are they afraid of us random oddballs shooting ourselves or are they afraid of a huge equipment shift across the entire game?

I feel it is faster and my times show it. That said I would still carry AIWB if it were slower. It is not about speed for me so much as it is about carrying the gun and hiding it well.

ToddG
05-08-2013, 09:40 PM
As for shooting not for score, might as well just go do range work and not have a match fee...

To each his own. I shot IDPA w/ a laser (and thus not for score) for years because (a) that was my carry gun and (b) no amount of lonely range work can compare to shooting other people's COFs in public. Even though my time wasn't official it didn't keep me from wanting to beat other folks.

For a skilled shooter, is aiwb faster or slower than ss iwb with a fishing vest?

Draw is a little faster, reload is a little slower for most folks. At most matches you're likely to have more reloads than draws (10rd limit and mostly 12+ round stages) and my guess is that on balance the aiwb would have a slight disadvantage.

IDPA likely isn't against aiwb for competition reasons, though. The perceived safety aspect -- especially as there have been a few people who've shot themselves holstering their guns at matches -- is probably all the motivation they need.

joshs
05-08-2013, 09:47 PM
For a skilled shooter, is aiwb faster or slower than ss iwb with a fishing vest? I just wonder if they (idpa and uspsa for every division) are afraid of aiwb basically becoming mandatory to compete, thus creating the perceived need for incompetent shooters to switch thus creating a huge safety concern.

Than IWB, yes, but it's not much faster for me than an OWB holster and a vest (though AIWB may have more of an advantage with the new requirements for holster offset). However, open front cover garment reloads are much easier for most people than with a closed front cover garment. In USPSA, there wouldn't be any change, as many divisions (Limited, L-10, and Open) already allow appendix holsters and very few competitors use them.

Mr_White
05-09-2013, 01:52 PM
For a skilled shooter, is aiwb faster or slower than ss iwb with a fishing vest?

I think AIWB is faster. I approximately equate concealed AIWB to unconcealed strong side OWB holsters, as far as speed goes. But as others have said, that's balanced against reloads from closed-front cover and those are slower, and the reloads are more numerous than the draws - at least they are in USPSA.

The point has been made to me a number times, when people are trying to convince me to just shoot a straight up Production rig, that draws are a very small part of USPSA competition. And I've come to see that's very true.

Still doing it my way though. :cool:

Sparks2112
05-10-2013, 08:57 AM
I must be the only person on the planet who's a lot faster from a closed front cover garment compared to open. It's actually embarrassing.

JConn
05-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I must be the only person on the planet who's a lot faster from a closed front cover garment compared to open. It's actually embarrassing.

I have literally never worked from an open front garment so that probably makes two of us.

jlw
05-10-2013, 09:41 AM

I have literally never worked from an open front garment so that probably makes two of us.

I won't make any claim to be faster, but when I carry concealed, it is typically with a buttoned square bottom shirt shirt as a cover garment or a J frame in a pocket. My primary concern is when CCW is stealth and not speed of the draw. If I need to go deep cover, it is a j frame or Glock subcompact in a belly band under a tucked in shirt.

Yesterday afternoon, I broke out a vest and holster and worked on the "IDPA draw", and it was ugly.

Cookie Monster
05-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Less movement and really simpler. I'm faster and more comfortable, my favorite being an old green Patagonia Fleece pullover. Love that thing, my wife not a fan.

Cookie Monster