PDA

View Full Version : Shooting the FNX9 Pistol...

Stephen A. Camp
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Hello. I recently tried out two different FNX9 9mm pistols. FNX is the successor to Fabrique National's FNP-handgun series. This polymer-framed, double-action semiautomatic sports frame-mounted, ambidextrous thumb safety levers, which double as decockers, and the pistol does permit Condition One ("cocked-and-locked") Carry for those preferring that option. Unlike the Hi Power, the FNX-line is manufactured in the USA.

The FNX9 has a stainless-steel slide-and-barrel assembly. On one pistol both were left "in the white" for a two-tone appearance. The slide/barrel assembly had been somehow coated black on the pistol. (Other than "looks", these pistols performed equivalently.)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/Hipowersandhandguns2/FNX9RangeTrip005.jpg
Here is the dark version of the FNX9 semiautomatic pistol. The thumb safety ("on safe" in this picture) can be applied whether the hammer is at full-cock, in the "hammer drop position" (as shown in the photo) or fully foward. The hammer can also be cocked with the thumb safety applied and the slide can be hand-cycled as well. The only time that the pistol must be off-safety is to fire it! Certainly, it can be carried with the hammer down for a DA first-shot and the safety off, but for those preferring to do so, the safety can be applied and disengaged during presentation as is done by practicioners of the single-action autoloader. Barrel length is 4".

FN advises that these pistols are sighted-in for a dead-on hold at 20 yards.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/Ammunition/FNX920yardtargetWin127P002.jpg
This 15-shot group was fired in three series of 5-shots, the first of each being fired double-action. The two shots at 6 o'clock and one at eleven o' clock are those hits. The remaining twelve were fired single-action and are in about a 2" group. The three double-action shots spread the group to approximately 3 1/2" or so. Ammunition used was Winchester 127-gr. Ranger +P+.

I have no doubt that the pistol is capable of better inherent mechanical accuracy and the spread is due to the "human factor"....mine!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/Ammunition/FNX9RangeTrip012-1.jpg
Primer strikes were positive and reasonably well-centered. There were no failures to fire whatsoever in over 1000 shots fired in 5 separate range visits, including this one.

Previous to todays shooting session, this particular FNX9 had digested roughly 700 shots of various commercial ammuntion. With today's 320 shots, that count is now over a thousand with no failures of any sort.

In my opinion, the pistol has the potential as a viable choice for those desiring a reliable and lightweight polymer-framed autoloader for either home defense, concealed carry or both. (The pistol is larger than some expressly intended for clandestine carrying, but this pistol can be concealed with little effort and appropriate clothes selection.)

There are features I really like with the FNX9, but it has some I find distasteful as well. For those interested in a more detail and lengthy report, follow the link below:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/taking_a_look_at_the_fnx_9mm_pistol.htm

Best to all and good shooting.

KentF
04-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the review. I'm a long time fan of the Browning Hi-Power and have enjoyed your site and books. I am currently using a HK P30, but the FNX9 may be something I'd like to look at more closely. It will be interesting to see how accessories for this become available.

Stephen A. Camp
04-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Hello and thanks. I agree. I think that the pistol is very comfortable, but really don't like that it must be sent to FNH for service should it need to be detail-stripped. I hope that this doesn't preclude after-market options from becoming available.

Best.

Wheeler
04-27-2011, 03:35 PM
The safety/decocker/slide release reminds me of a Browning BDM. I hope the FNX does better in the market than the BDM did. Is there any chance you could gove a quick comparison between the two?

Wheeler

Stephen A. Camp
04-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Hello. No, not and be fair. I don't own a BDM and do not know anyone close by who does. It's been several years since I shot one and my experience with them has been limited to perhaps half-a-dozen shooting sessions with them over the years.

Best.

Wheeler
04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello. No, not and be fair. I don't own a BDM and do not know anyone close by who does. It's been several years since I shot one and my experience with them has been limited to perhaps half-a-dozen shooting sessions with them over the years.

Best.

I figured it was a shot in the dark. The only reason I asked is I have one and physically it reminded me of the BDM. I should have been a bit more clear in the way I phrased that question. Sorry if I put you on the spot, that wasn't my intention.

That was a well written review. Thank you for taking the time to post it and to do the research.

Stephen A. Camp
04-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Hello, sir. No problem on this end.

Best to you and yours.

Laughingdog
04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
I bought one of these in March, and really only have one complaint. Finding holsters and mag holders for these is next to impossible. Aside from that, it's a fantastic gun. I just wish I could actually start carrying/competing with it.

I'm have 1450 rounds fired through it so far. I had 2 failures to feed and 5 failures to lock back on an empty mag over the course of the first 1000 rounds. Those are all atributable to the reloads I was shooting. Until shooting them back to back with factory winchester white box ammo, it wasn't obvious that my 124g reloads were leaning towards "mouse-fart" loads. I wouldn't have thought that 1/3 up from starting charge to max charge would be that wimpy. Even then, the mouse-fart loads were only a problem with shooting weak hand.

I've let A LOT of people try this thing out. Everyone is shocked at how nice the trigger feels, especially in light of the $600 price tag. Everyone also seems to shoot this thing low to start out. The trigger breaks far enough back that it's easy to start pulling up on it instead of just straight back. I can say my initial groupings were very similar to the picture put up by the OP. Now that I'm growing more accustomed to the trigger, I'm down to about a 1.5" group with 10 rounds, and the occasional 0.5" group if I really slow it down.

My favorite thing is how short the reset is in single-action. I have a Springfield Operator with match barrel and trigger. My best split on that at an 8" circle at 5 yards is about .23, with .30 average. With the FNX, I'm down at 0.17-0.20 comfortably.

I cleaned the gun once, when I first bought it, and don't intend to do so until I pass the 2000 round test with it, or start having problems with factory ammo. I highly doubt the latter of those will come to pass.

MTechnik
04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
I bought one of these in March, and really only have one complaint. Finding holsters and mag holders for these is next to impossible. Aside from that, it's a fantastic gun. I just wish I could actually start carrying/competing with it.

(thought I already replied here, but I must have been hallucinating...)

I emailed the US Customer Manager, Bob Ailes, and let him know that the lack of readily available blue guns, more specifically, not in the hands of holster makers, is hurting their pistols. I recommended they send blue guns to the top and middle tier of holster makers, as well as do whatever it takes to grease the skids for more sight options.

Stephen A. Camp
04-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Hello. I just completed another shooting session with the FNX9 for those who might be interested:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/shooting_the_fnx9_pt%20II-Defense%20Considerations.htm

Best.

Pistol Shooter
04-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the detailed and very excellent evaluation of the FNX. There are certainly many good things about this pistol that make it attractive.

However, I think I'll stick with my HK's until the FNX establishes more of a "track record".

As someone mentioned above, I've been a big fan of the Hi Power (bought my first one, a T Series in 1975) and I have thoroughly enjoyed your books and website. :D

You've recently evaluated the P220 and FNX9, what's next?

LittleLebowski
05-02-2011, 05:09 PM
I shot one this weekend. The thumb safety/decocker is a nice feature but in the wrong spot and hurt my hands. The grip felt like a cheese grater. The DA trigger was excellent, breaking crisply and smoothly. I would prefer a DA only variant but honestly though the weapon was reliable and very accurate, I would not own this weapon over an M&P, P30, or Glock 9mm.

TAP
05-03-2011, 07:05 AM
I shot 10 rounds through an FNS-9 prototype about 6 weeks ago. This is the striker fired version that should be out later this year or early 2012. The stock trigger felt really nice and the reset was short with the tactile feel of a glock. I only shot it at 20 yds but it was very accurate. I did not like the feel of the grip or the ergonomics. I will probably pass but if FN has a chance to be more in the mainstream this may be it.

Looks like a cross between an M&P and Sig.

http://www.fnherstal.com/typo3temp/pics/430390220c.png

LittleLebowski
05-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Also, the grip hurt my hands and the slide release was well nigh impossible to actuate.

Stephen A. Camp
05-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Hello. Yes, I went to from the arched, checkered back stap to the arched one with lateral serrations. That is the only checkering that was just too sharp for me, including an old Colt I had done with 20 lpi checkering on the front grip strap and mainspring housing.

Best.

JodyH
05-03-2011, 08:22 PM
FN arrived to the polymer service pistol party about 10 years too late, with a 15 year old design.
This might have been an interesting pistol in 1999

TGS
05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
A local guy just offered to trade his FNX9 with 4 mags and a holster for my Beretta 92. I figure I'll do it, the Beretta is in a "slot" which I keep trading up with people every couple months just to try out other guns and what not. I like the 92 as a plinking gun and enjoy how smooth its action is, but other than that it's pretty absymal. My girlfriend can't really shoot it with it's ginormous grip, either.

Thanks for the little write up.

Laughingdog
05-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Up to 2450 rounds through my FNX, with no malfunctions that aren't attributable to my mousefart reloads, and no malfunctions period since the session that got me to 990 rounds. Still haven't cleaned it. Getting close to passing the 2000 round test, and still can get 1/2" groups at 7 yards with it.

My only real complaint remains that there are so few that make gear for it.

MikeO
05-27-2011, 04:57 PM
I've tried a few, they work better for me than the HKs I've tried (USPf, USPc, P2000, HK45/45c, P30/L).

They are state of the art when it comes to "modularity". Just about everything can be replaced, including the frame rails ($8 ea for the front, $4 ea for the rear).

The DA/SA modular fire control system w safety was intended for the JCP/MHS, and not something anybody else really wanted. The FNS gives 'em a concistent trigger pull (we don't say DAO anymore) striker fired gun on basically the same platform, should appeal to the rest of the market. Looks like it has a safety, and if takes down w/o pulling the trigger, it will appeal to me.

ranburr
05-30-2011, 12:08 AM
I found it way too easy to decock while swiping the safety off.

F-Trooper05
05-30-2011, 12:35 AM
RIP, Mr. Camp.

MikeO
05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
I found it way too easy to decock while swiping the safety off.

With me it was the opposite: had to shift my grip to decock (offside lever hit hand, would not go any lower).

What happened to Mr. Camp?

LittleLebowski
05-30-2011, 10:55 AM
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1010-Stephen-A.-Camp-has-passed-away

We shall talk about Mr Camp in the above thread.