PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6940

WDW
05-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Picked one of these up the other day. It has a monolithic upper & free float raill w/detachable bottom rail. The newer version has a few changes from the original. Two things I noticed immediately were a locking front sight & the hardened steel insert in the upper to reduce cam pin wear supposedly (a feature on the 6940P). It shoots great & is sub minute of AR.
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/10mm4me/image-8_zpsf62731d7.jpg (http://s865.photobucket.com/user/10mm4me/media/image-8_zpsf62731d7.jpg.html)

Odin Bravo One
05-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I've always liked Colt products. While everyone builds an AR variant these days, at least with Colt, you know what you are getting. It may not be the most expensive. And they are arguably no longer "the best" AR, but they are still my gold standard.

Though, I am curious as to the "why" on some of the features you listed........probably why I am not an engineer or decision maker at Colt's Mfg. Still, it is a nice rifle, that is likely to outlast the majority of shooters (even without the steel insert thingamajig), should easily shoot 2 minutes or less with quality ammo, and at (what I hope was) a reasonable cost.

WDW
05-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I've always liked Colt products. While everyone builds an AR variant these days, at least with Colt, you know what you are getting. It may not be the most expensive. And they are arguably no longer "the best" AR, but they are still my gold standard.

Though, I am curious as to the "why" on some of the features you listed........probably why I am not an engineer or decision maker at Colt's Mfg. Still, it is a nice rifle, that is likely to outlast the majority of shooters (even without the steel insert thingamajig), should easily shoot 2 minutes or less with quality ammo, and at (what I hope was) a reasonable cost.

Yeah, not sure on the steel insert thing. They developed it for their piston gun & I guess they wanted to just use 1 upper instead of making two separate ones. Although the difference is just a small hex screw hole. As to the front sight, every review I've ever seen had people kittening about the FS not locking in place. I guess Colt decided to appease them. It was formerly just a detent. It still has the detent but also a small latch lock. Who knows? I was shooting right at 2" @ 100 w/Hornadly 75 gr BTJHP's. I just like Colt rifles. Might not be the best, but certainly more than good enough. Gun NIB was only $1,300 & some change w/2 mags, cleaning rod/brush, (2) QD sling swivels, & a piece of seatbelt that's supposed to double as a sling.

Kyle Reese
05-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Nice carbine. Got ammo for it?

WDW
05-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Nice carbine. Got ammo for it?

Indeed I do!!! Not a lot, but enough for now.

Odin Bravo One
05-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm on board with the locking sights. Makes sense to me to have them lock in deployed position. Makes much more sense than to have them lock in the non-deployed position, but not lock in the deployed position, ala MagPul. Time comes I need BUIS's, I suspect I am going to REALLY NEED them, and need them to work properly. Partially deployed due to damage, debris, whatever is not going to help my cause any.

But the thingamajig thing.......I would lay dollars to peso's you are correct in your assertion they wanted to only build one upper for multiple designators.

I still don't grasp the rear sight though, doesn't lock up, and........graduated to 800m............I thought we had finally busted the 800m "area target" myth..........guess not. Unless that is a different version of that brand?

I'm with you on Colt rifles. They are tough to beat for the price, and what you get. And the fact you generally know what you are getting before walking into it. I don't consider buying a Colt to be a compromise on a hard use rifle. One of these days, I should probably get another.

Cause that is what I need........another AR pattern rifle.

WDW
05-06-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm on board with the locking sights. Makes sense to me to have them lock in deployed position. Makes much more sense than to have them lock in the non-deployed position, but not lock in the deployed position, ala MagPul. Time comes I need BUIS's, I suspect I am going to REALLY NEED them, and need them to work properly. Partially deployed due to damage, debris, whatever is not going to help my cause any.

But the thingamajig thing.......I would lay dollars to peso's you are correct in your assertion they wanted to only build one upper for multiple designators.

I still don't grasp the rear sight though, doesn't lock up, and........graduated to 800m............I thought we had finally busted the 800m "area target" myth..........guess not. Unless that is a different version of that brand?

I'm with you on Colt rifles. They are tough to beat for the price, and what you get. And the fact you generally know what you are getting before walking into it. I don't consider buying a Colt to be a compromise on a hard use rifle. One of these days, I should probably get another.

Cause that is what I need........another AR pattern rifle.
They may have changed it, but mine only goes to 600 meters. The rear sight doesn't lock, but it is spring loaded so you have to really want to put it down. By far not my first choice, but it came w/the gun & will work for what I need it for.

Archimagirus
05-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks a lot, this thread made me saddle up and get a little brother for my 901. Hopefully it shoots as well as my 901 does.

WDW
05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks a lot, this thread made me saddle up and get a little brother for my 901. Hopefully it shoots as well as my 901 does.

Nice!!! How's the 901 working out? I've yet to handle or even see one.

Archimagirus
05-09-2013, 11:13 PM
I went around and around about which semi auto .308 to get, even to the point of soliciting advice here on the forum. I have had a devil of a time getting my scope sighted in, but that is on me. Sighting in the irons, I was getting rounds touching each other at 50 yards and I am no marksman and I was using surplus ammo. I think once I get the scope squared away it will be a tack driving sombitch. Can't wait to get the 6940 and get it squared away, also have to decide what do to with my frankenAR.

WDW
05-10-2013, 05:23 AM
I went around and around about which semi auto .308 to get, even to the point of soliciting advice here on the forum. I have had a devil of a time getting my scope sighted in, but that is on me. Sighting in the irons, I was getting rounds touching each other at 50 yards and I am no marksman and I was using surplus ammo. I think once I get the scope squared away it will be a tack driving sombitch. Can't wait to get the 6940 and get it squared away, also have to decide what do to with my frankenAR.

What optic/mount are you using for the 901? I'd sell the franken gun to finance more mags/ammo/optics/lights.

LSP972
05-10-2013, 07:35 AM
By far not my first choice, but it came w/the gun & will work for what I need it for.

Is this the same rear sight as supplied on the 6720? That puppy is decent enough, but holy cow its heavy and ungainly.

WDW
05-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Is this the same rear sight as supplied on the 6720? That puppy is decent enough, but holy cow its heavy and ungainly.

Every new 6920 I've gotten recently had a Magpul sight on it. It's the Matech sight. It's definitely kinda big & weird like it was designed by Dr. Seuss or something.

***Edit***

Oh sorry you said 6720. Yeah, they're the same sight.

LSP972
05-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Every new 6920 I've gotten recently had a Magpul sight on it. It's the Matech sight. It's definitely kinda big & weird like it was designed by Dr. Seuss or something.

***Edit***

Oh sorry you said 6720. Yeah, they're the same sight.

OK, thanks.

Yeah, its pretty much a monstrosity. I replaced it with a MagPul sight on mine, too.;)

Archimagirus
05-10-2013, 05:09 PM
What optic/mount are you using for the 901? I'd sell the franken gun to finance more mags/ammo/optics/lights.

I mounted a vortex viper pst 1-4x24 in a Burris P.E.P.R. I am not sure I got it mounted properly and could not get it sighted in. I am probably going to move that setup to the 6940 and get a vortex pst 2.5x-10x32 Ffp in a similar mount for the 901.

Ed L
05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I bought a 6940 in 2009ish and really like it.

It seems to shoot a bit tighter than the 6920s I've fired (not that the 6920s were inaccurate by any means).

The 6940 seems perfect for me. It feels tight and solid and the monolithic rail is perfect for mounting a light, and a VFG a bit over half way out. I run the gun with 4 fingers on the VFG and my thumb on top of the side rail.

Dan_S
05-12-2013, 04:13 PM
I bought a 6940 in 2009ish and really like it.

It seems to shoot a bit tighter than the 6920s I've fired (not that the 6920s were inaccurate by any means).

The 6940 seems perfect for me. It feels tight and solid and the monolithic rail is perfect for mounting a light, and a VFG a bit over half way out. I run the gun with 4 fingers on the VFG and my thumb on top of the side rail.

The last thing I really need is another rifle, but I'm kind of wanting to snag a 6940 upper for one of my spare lowers... Trying to decide between that or a KAC upper....

I'm not entirely sold on the monolithic rail, but I'd really like to see one in person before making the choice.