PDA

View Full Version : Wish to start Target Practice

ROOKIEDEGI
05-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Dear Friends,
I have a very simple question. I have never ever taken a hot or held a gun in my life and would like to start some target practice, and potentially enter a fe competitions here locally.
Which is the best pistol for a beginner like me ?
I saw so many reviews It's confusing which to choose. I am not looking for a cheap buy, and would consider using same pistol when I embark on competitions
Thanks

John Ralston
05-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Find a local indoor range that rents guns, take a lesson and try them out. I wouldn't recommend anything to a beginner until they have had a chance to shoot. You shouldn't consider purchasing until you have some trigger time and know what you like and dislike.

Also - you need to decide what type of competition - rimfire or centerfire.

RoyGBiv
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
^^^ This.

Where are you located?
Maybe there are members that live nearby and can make specific suggestions on what ranges have a good selection and are friendly to new shooters.

ToddG
05-02-2013, 01:21 PM
The first thing I'd recommend is finding a certified NRA Instructor (http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx) in your area. Sign up for either the Basic Pistol or one of the Personal Protection classes. Usually these will include the opportunity to handle a variety of different pistols as well as giving you an opportunity to understand the differences and weigh what features you prefer.

The most important aspect of an NRA class, however, is to teach you about firearms safety. If you've never handled a pistol before it's easy to make little mistakes which can, in fact, be very dangerous to yourself or those around you. In a day, the NRA class will not only teach you the rules of safety but will also give you a chance to exercise them so you know what you're doing and be confident when you finally go to the range on your own.