PDA

View Full Version : New gun and trying to learn a new trigger

Corey
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Wasn't sure of the best category for this, figure the mods can move it if needed.

Picked up a new gun Saturday. Got the M&P 9mm full size with the "Carry and Range Kit". It came with the pistol with a Flat Dark Earth frame, Blade Tech holster and double mag carrier, 3 mags with FDE base plates, and LULA mag loader, all for only $495. Spent about a half hour dry firing on Sunday, then cleaned an lubed it for the 2000 round challenge. Took it to the range yesterday and started off by shooting Tom Jones Bullseye 1000 drill and finished with a score of 810 :(. By way of comparison, I shot the same drill last month with my old Colt Commander and scored 870. Most of the difference was on the weak hand stages, the trigger is just different enough to throw me off weak hand. The pistol itself is very accurate and shot nice tight groups at 25 yards freestyle.

I am going to do regular dry fire to work on press outs and get used to the trigger and then I will try the FAST drill next week. I will be using this pistol in the AFHF class in Salt Lake City this October and hoping I can beat my FAST time from last years class. I don't have any pics to post of the new gun, but I figure everyone here knows what a stock M&P looks like ;).

Just a quick question for any of you that have switched guns. How long did it take you to get used to a new type of trigger when you made the transition? I can shoot it very accurately slow fire, but trying to shoot it fast is a struggle. I know I have only shot it once, but I am impatient.

NGCSUGrad09
04-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I find it takes me about 500-750 trigger pulls to transition between a platform. It's about 1500 pulls to get really comfortable with something. Trigger pulls includes both dry-fire and live-fire. This also is not just pulling the trigger but drawing, reloading, etc, etc.

JV_
04-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Just a quick question for any of you that have switched guns. How long did it take you to get used to a new type of trigger when you made the transition? I can shoot it very accurately slow fire, but trying to shoot it fast is a struggle. I know I have only shot it once, but I am impatient.

I can transition between most guns with about 2 cases of ammo ... I'm pretty thickheaded and it takes a lot for me make the move successfully.

JodyH
04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
It all depends on how big of a transition you're making.
Glock to H&K LEM, takes me about 200 rounds to be comfortable.
H&K LEM to Kahr, no transition period required.
Tuned 1911 to a 12# DAO might take me a few thousand rounds.

Corey
04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was kind of looking for some confirmation of what I suspected. Just have too many "gun of the week" types locally to get a good feel for it. I figure by the time I finish the 2k challenge I should have it dialed in pretty good. Not a big change from 1911 to M&P, but after 300 rounds total in two trips to the range it is taking more effort than I originally thought it would. I guess I thought I was a better shooter than I am. Back to dry fire practice now.

Corey
09-19-2016, 10:13 AM
#postpfnecrobump

Jay Cunningham
09-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Learning a different way to manipulate each trigger you run across *sounds exhausting*...