PDA

View Full Version : Something Cool I Just Learned about RDS

WDW
04-29-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to optics, specifically RDS. I do know, thanks in part to this forum, that Aimpoint is more or less the best option for a variety of reasons. So I recently picked up a PRO. What I think is too cool, is that you can use the optic even with the front lens cover closed. I had no idea this was possible so I never even attempted it. I'm not sure of the physiology behind it, but with both eyes open and focus on the target, the red dot is still imposed on it (the target) almost as well as if the cover were open. I discovered this by accident while just looking through the sight and confirmed that it actually works on the range the other day.

I apologize if this is common knowledge and I sound stupid. I'm sure someone else out there doesn't know this. Just thought it was cool you don't HAVE to have your lens cover open to use your sight.

Zhurdan
04-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Some of the first RDS type sights were referred to as Occluded Eye Gunsights
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j612DZCPAyE/TDHWiUi5t8I/AAAAAAAAADw/p4KOi7XnOBw/s400/Spoint.jpg

This particular one didn't even have an objective lens.

WDW
04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Some of the first RDS type sights were referred to as Occluded Eye Gunsights
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j612DZCPAyE/TDHWiUi5t8I/AAAAAAAAADw/p4KOi7XnOBw/s400/Spoint.jpg

This particular one didn't even have an objective lens.

Are you saying I can dodge bullets?

Al T.
04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
It's actually a good technique for dealing with "squinters" AKA folks who want to use the RDS in the same manner as a rifle scope. :cool:

ToddG
04-29-2013, 05:19 PM

When you're ready...

... still no.

Zhurdan
04-29-2013, 05:20 PM

No, I'm saying when you're ready, you won't have to. ;)

*beat me to it Todd*

taadski
04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
It's pretty cool that the brain can put the images together the way it does. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do it the same for everyone. There is a certain portion of the population that experiences a pretty notable shift in their point of impact when shooting this way. I happen to be one of them and at 10 yards, for example, I see a repeatable shift of about 7 inches to the left. I had a long discussion with Ken Hackathorn about it at a class years ago and he advised he sees it in as many as 30% of his students. The shift occurs for me across the board whether using occluded gunsights (like flipping the front cap of my aimpoint down) or when using NV monoculars over my non-dominant eye, etc...

t

Tamara
04-29-2013, 07:26 PM
It's actually a good technique for dealing with "squinters" AKA folks who want to use the RDS in the same manner as a rifle scope. :cool:

Derp.

I'm actually a little embarrassed I hadn't thought of this. :o

WDW
04-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Well, I've always used proper technique w/RDS. Just had no idea it worked w/ the lens cover on. Mind Blown!!!! I'm easily impressed.

DanH
04-29-2013, 08:17 PM
this brings a question to mind. I haven't tried a red dot sight, mainly because I don't have a carbine, but my vision in my right eye (I'm right handed) is less acute than my left eye. While neither eye is quite 20/20, the right is definitely not as good. Would this present a problem with a red dot sight when using the both-eyes-open technique?

WDW
04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
this brings a question to mind. I haven't tried a red dot sight, mainly because I don't have a carbine, but my vision in my right eye (I'm right handed) is less acute than my left eye. While neither eye is quite 20/20, the right is definitely not as good. Would this present a problem with a red dot sight when using the both-eyes-open technique?

I'd say go to a shop & try it out. Everyone's eyes are different. May turn out to be no problem @ all. I'll say though, after using it, the RDS is damn fast. I'll never have an AR w/out one again.

TGS
04-30-2013, 09:32 AM
It's not a concept specific to a RDS, it'll also work on a magnified optic.

Collimator sights go back to WWI.

WDW
04-30-2013, 01:26 PM
It's not a concept specific to a RDS, it'll also work on a magnified optic.

Collimator sights go back to WWI.

I've never been able to make it work for me w/magnified optic. I see like 3 different sight pictures & it's just a big mess.

Rich@CCC
05-02-2013, 10:06 PM
This may be caused by a condition known as "Prism". I'm not conversant with exactly why or how it effects your vision, but my Wife has it and if she gets the bargain basement eye exam and 2 hour lenses she's still has issues and even gets headaches from it. I believe that it causes your eyes to focus at different elevations, but I could be way off on that. I know that my wife has problems aligning two objects on a plane and has trouble seeing that things are not in alignment.

I suffer from a mild astigmatism and see the RDS dot as a bloom or blur at close range. If I am focusing on a target past 50m then it is much less pronounced and I see a crisp dot when targeting past 75m or so.

It's pretty cool that the brain can put the images together the way it does. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do it the same for everyone. There is a certain portion of the population that experiences a pretty notable shift in their point of impact when shooting this way. I happen to be one of them and at 10 yards, for example, I see a repeatable shift of about 7 inches to the left. I had a long discussion with Ken Hackathorn about it at a class years ago and he advised he sees it in as many as 30% of his students. The shift occurs for me across the board whether using occluded gunsights (like flipping the front cap of my aimpoint down) or when using NV monoculars over my non-dominant eye, etc...

t