PDA

View Full Version : Smith&Wesson M&P9 Compact Eject Issue

sbickmeyer
04-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Got my permit a few months back, and for my first pistol I got a S&W M&P9c. I wanted a 9mm for cheaper ammo (can't find any these days) so that I could practice more. I ended up getting 2 20-rd boxes of jacketed hollow-points (expensive stuff). So far, I've only fired 10 rounds maybe, because I can't afford to blow through that kind of ammo, and I can't find 9mm anywhere. My only issue is when the burning hot shell is ejected, it's thrown straight back towards me, as opposed to the side.

Question: Is this an issue that would be resolved after breaking the gun in? Hopefully I can get my hands on a few hundred rounds and fire away.

Starting to wish I went with a Glock :p

JDB
04-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Got my permit a few months back, and for my first pistol I got a S&W M&P9c. I wanted a 9mm for cheaper ammo (can't find any these days) so that I could practice more. I ended up getting 2 20-rd boxes of jacketed hollow-points (expensive stuff). So far, I've only fired 10 rounds maybe, because I can't afford to blow through that kind of ammo, and I can't find 9mm anywhere. My only issue is when the burning hot shell is ejected, it's thrown straight back towards me, as opposed to the side.

Question: Is this an issue that would be resolved after breaking the gun in? Hopefully I can get my hands on a few hundred rounds and fire away.

Starting to wish I went with a Glock :p

10 rounds doesn't tell you much...that said, was it 1 of 10 ejections?? 5 of 10?

"Brass To Face" is a very common complaint about shooting Glocks. I've done 90% of my pistol shooting with various M&P9s the last 5 years. I'll occasionally get one coming back at me (once every couple hundred rounds or so). On my Glocks, its more like 1/10.

An Apex "Fail Resistant Extractor" may be in order if it keeps up.

sbickmeyer
04-28-2013, 12:50 AM
10 rounds doesn't tell you much...that said, was it 1 of 10 ejections?? 5 of 10?

"Brass To Face" is a very common complaint about shooting Glocks. I've done 90% of my pistol shooting with various M&P9s the last 5 years. I'll occasionally get one coming back at me (once every couple hundred rounds or so). On my Glocks, its more like 1/10.

An Apex "Fail Resistant Extractor" may be in order if it keeps up.

It seemed pretty frequent. Probably 7/10. I'll see what happens once I get different ammo running through it.

imp1295
04-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Just a quick look here

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/142473-smith-wesson-m-p-casings-flying-face-2.html

Seems some have experienced a similar problem that either went away after the first couple hundred rounds or they sent it to S&W. I too never had any issues with my M&P 9c with ejection. I'm only at about 2k through it since August though.

I'd say shoot a couple hundred FMJ through it and see if it breaks in the ejection. In the meantime keep your eye pro on and a good hat.

sbickmeyer
04-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Just a quick look here

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/142473-smith-wesson-m-p-casings-flying-face-2.html

Seems some have experienced a similar problem that either went away after the first couple hundred rounds or they sent it to S&W. I too never had any issues with my M&P 9c with ejection. I'm only at about 2k through it since August though.

I'd say shoot a couple hundred FMJ through it and see if it breaks in the ejection. In the meantime keep your eye pro on and a good hat.

Finally got to shoot a few rounds today. I bought 200 off of a friend, and put 60 through it (saving some for another time). Looks like the issue is lessening the more I fire the gun. That was definitely relieving. The gun is faily accurate I think.

sbickmeyer
05-04-2013, 10:17 PM
UPDATE:

Now have put about 200 rounds through, and every so often (1/20?) does the ejected shell shoot straight back. Have been using all TulAmmo (cheap Russian stuff) and am glad to say I have yet to have any issues with my M&P. So far a great handgun, and happy I chose it :)

mclenniston
05-13-2013, 07:43 PM
UPDATE:

Now have put about 200 rounds through, and every so often (1/20?) does the ejected shell shoot straight back. Have been using all TulAmmo (cheap Russian stuff) and am glad to say I have yet to have any issues with my M&P. So far a great handgun, and happy I chose it :)

It's a great gun - very reliable. I suspect when you really break it in (few hundred rounds) you will be even happier. Also - are you shooting at an outdoor or indoor range? I have had rebound issues with indoor ranges where ejected brass bounces back off a range target cable return system just above my head. Otherwise not an issue after proper break in.

sbickmeyer
05-13-2013, 07:58 PM
It's a great gun - very reliable. I suspect when you really break it in (few hundred rounds) you will be even happier. Also - are you shooting at an outdoor or indoor range? I have had rebound issues with indoor ranges where ejected brass bounces back off a range target cable return system just above my head. Otherwise not an issue after proper break in.

Luckily, my property goes way back into the woods with plenty of space for shooting. No need to take a trip to a range :)

And I've been very happy with it thus far, I've put almost 200 rds in and no problems. It's a fairly small amount, but it's still good! Gonna have to go back out soon. Just with it being so hard to find ammo around here I don't want to use it all so fast.

idahojess
05-13-2013, 08:53 PM
I have an M & P 9C and an M & P full size, and the ejection from both of those has much more velocity, and in the right direction, than from my Glock 19, for me. Part of it is probably personal to me; I have a weakened grip, and the M & P fits me better. I still like my Glock, but I'm kind of switching to the M& Ps.

The Compact has a very stiff recoil spring, or at least mine did when I got it 3 years ago. I don't recall having any rounds hit me in the face when I shot the M & P compact 3 years ago, when it was new, but that stiff recoil spring could be slowing the velocity of your slide somewhat. Breaking it in should solve it, I would think.

Also, make sure the gun is good and clean. Guns from the factory can have some viscous stuff on them.
The M &P 9C is a good carry gun I think. There's ammo out there, but it's not cheap. If the problem still exists after 500- 1000 rounds, I'd contact smith. It sounds like it's getting better though.

Good luck,

sbickmeyer
05-27-2013, 06:46 PM
I have an M & P 9C and an M & P full size, and the ejection from both of those has much more velocity, and in the right direction, than from my Glock 19, for me. Part of it is probably personal to me; I have a weakened grip, and the M & P fits me better. I still like my Glock, but I'm kind of switching to the M& Ps.

The Compact has a very stiff recoil spring, or at least mine did when I got it 3 years ago. I don't recall having any rounds hit me in the face when I shot the M & P compact 3 years ago, when it was new, but that stiff recoil spring could be slowing the velocity of your slide somewhat. Breaking it in should solve it, I would think.

Also, make sure the gun is good and clean. Guns from the factory can have some viscous stuff on them.
The M &P 9C is a good carry gun I think. There's ammo out there, but it's not cheap. If the problem still exists after 500- 1000 rounds, I'd contact smith. It sounds like it's getting better though.

Good luck,

I think the issue is slowly fading. I've had some luck finding ammo, currently have 300rds stashed away, might shoot a little after work one of these days. Still waiting for my IWB holster from Crossbreed. They're delayed like crazy though, might be waiting a while...