PDA

View Full Version : APEX M&P Parts and Reliability

Bratch
04-25-2011, 08:35 PM
After reading some of the threads that have concerns over APEX trigger springs I had some questions about their other parts.

Have their other parts shown acceptable reliability for CCW/Duty use? The main thing I am looking at is the RAM.

Has anybody had their sear housing upgrade done? If so was it worth while? I had my first dead trigger last week and have read many people mention their sear upgrade as helping against this.

Kyle Reese
04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
I broke an Apex trigger spring at 10,400 rds (dead trigger), and have replaced it with the "new" iteration (the spring loops weren't aligned in the initial batch - causing stress). Gun is at about 15,000 now and still going strong.

Between now and the 3nd week of May I'll run an additional 5,000 rounds thru it.

As for the RAM, I found it to be beneficial enough to outfit both of my M&P 9's with it. I'm not sure of that's the "sear housing upgrade" you're thinking of.

I carry AIWB with the Apex DCAEK/RAM without reservation.

JV_
04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I've broken a few of the trigger springs @ low round counts. IIRC it was at 4K and 6K. The initial marketing numbers had very very high MTBF numbers .... mine didn't come close. I haven't tested any of the springs since the loop changes.

Bratch
04-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure of that's the "sear housing upgrade" you're thinking of.

They are offering to mill out the sear housing to accept a larger sear spring and plunger. I'm not sure if they are the same size as the MA spring/plunger but the theory is the same with more force resetting the sear quicker to prevent the dead trigger.

Kyle Reese
04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Ah- I've never tried this, nor do I know anyone personally who has.

They are offering to mill out the sear housing to accept a larger sear spring and plunger. I'm not sure if they are the same size as the MA spring/plunger but the theory is the same with more force resetting the sear quicker to prevent the dead trigger.

MEH
04-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Has anybody had their sear housing upgrade done? If so was it worth while? I had my first dead trigger last week and have ready many people mention their sear upgrade as helping against this.

Yes, I have had dead triggers. Yes, I have had Apex modify my all my M&P sear blocks. Yes, the new sear spring and plunger are the same size as the S&W MASS parts.

No, I have not had any dead triggers since having this done. No, I don't use the RAM.

Yes, I am satisfied that this has cured the problem.

Savage Hands
04-26-2011, 10:53 AM
I believe they had some problems with the initial batch of Trigger Return Spring but has not been a problem since fixing the spring loops. I will find out later when those springs are meant to be replaced as preventative maintenance, I believe the recoil spring is suppose to be replaced at around the 5,000. I have full confidence in their parts as they have higher Quality Control then S&W's small parts and use hardened tool grade steel as opposed to case hardened MIM from the factory. DocGKR has spoken highly of the DCAEK and RAM for actual duty weapons and I was told by Apex a few agencies actually approved those parts with two publicly doing so in Pennsylvania and Oregon. I have the sear block upgrade on my 9c and will eventually send my FS9 sear block to them to get upgraded for insurance, IMO S&W did a disservice using the small sear plungers in the first place. Both of my M&P's are near identical trigger wise (DCAEK/RAM installed, polished and fitted by Apex) minus the upgraded sear block and chrome USB, but the difference in break is about ~1/2 pound or so higher with the upgraded sear block and will be verified later. 45R measured my FS9 with his gauge and it averaged about 5 pounds 4 oz.

Here is pics of the sear block upgrade that the new (late 2010 and up) M&P's supposedly all get now.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/Apostolos/apex2.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/Apostolos/apex3.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/Apostolos/apex1.jpg

Bratch
04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the pics those show me exactly what to look for.

I have a newer M&P that I'll check and see if they have the upgraded spring or not. I know my old Pro is the small spring.