PDA

View Full Version : M&P Tune Up Questions

Bratch
04-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm somewhere north of 5,000 rounds on my Pro so I figured it was time for its first tune up.

What I am planning on replacing:

1. Recoil Spring
2. Sear Spring
3. Trigger Spring
4. Striker Spring

I had my first dead trigger the other day so I thought the sear spring would be prudent.

I have read that some Pros are coming with the MA trigger housing. How do I determine what housing mine has to order the correct springs?

Stick with S&W springs or order the Apex set?

Am I missing anything else that should be replaced or checked?

ToddG
04-24-2011, 10:02 PM
1. Recoil Spring

I'd replace ~7,500. The rest I'd guess could go twice that, except that you're having the dead trigger issue.

Stick with S&W springs or order the Apex set?

I'll let JV answer in more detail, but suffice to say there is some question as to whether the Apex trigger spring is durable.

Am I missing anything else that should be replaced or checked?

If you rely on the ambi slide release, replace it.

Inspect the striker and firing pin block to be sure there is no unusual wear.

willowofwisp
04-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I'd replace ~7,500. The rest I'd guess could go twice that, except that you're having the dead trigger issue.

I'll let JV answer in more detail, but suffice to say there is some question as to whether the Apex trigger spring is durable.

If you rely on the ambi slide release, replace it.

Inspect the striker and firing pin block to be sure there is no unusual wear.

I believe Apex redesigned the spring from their original and and its suppose to be more durable.

JV_
04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I like the Apex sear and striker block, but my preference is for the S&W Mass trigger spring.

I've heard that the spring loop alignment fixes the short life issues that I (and a few friends) have experienced, but I'd rather avoid it and get the S&W spring.

Kyle Reese
04-27-2011, 06:16 PM
After my current Apex trigger spring breaks I'm replacing it with the S&W MA trigger spring.

I like the Apex sear and striker block, but my preference is for the S&W Mass trigger spring.

I've heard that the spring loop alignment fixes the short life issues that I (and a few friends) have experienced, but I'd rather avoid it and get the S&W spring.

NickDrak
04-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I had a 2007 production LE model M&P9 that I installed the Apex DCAEK in-conjunction with a factory S&W MA compliant trigger spring that lasted 7500+rds for me, and is still going with its new owner.

I installed the same in my current newer (2010) production M&P9.

JV_
04-27-2011, 07:14 PM
After my current Apex trigger spring breaks I'm replacing it with the S&W MA trigger spring.IIRC - I put in a corrected loop spring the last time. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Kyle Reese
04-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Well, you see how hard I run my gun. It'll be interesting to see how it fares.

IIRC - I put in a corrected loop spring the last time. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts.

MEH
04-28-2011, 05:47 AM
I have read that some Pros are coming with the MA trigger housing. How do I determine what housing mine has to order the correct springs?

Take the SHB out and remove the sear. Measure the sear plunger diameter. 1/16" is old, 1/8" is new.