PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear...

Sal Picante
04-20-2013, 12:11 AM
I helped run a class at ILEETA this year in Chicago and got soaked. (Last year we got snow and froze...)

Wondering what y'all are doing for rain gear?

ToddG
04-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Clear plastic garbage bags are incredibly handy. You can use them to cover targets to prevent paper and cardboard from melting in the rain, protect your range bag, and in a desperate pinch you can even poke a hole in the bottom and wear it as a waterproof vest.

I keep a thin raincoat sort of "vacuum packed" in a big ziplock bag. It takes up no space, weighs nothing, and can be called into service in no time. I only use it when the rain gets pretty severe as personally I don't like shooting all bundled up. If you've got the space for it (in a car, for example) then a fresh change of clothes can be nice.

While they're not as cool as summer/desert boots I always wear boots that have decent protection from water. It just takes one puddle to ruin your day. It also sucks if there is a part of the range you can't (or won't) walk on because it's too wet.

A roll of paper towels in your car trunk does wonders once you get someplace safe from the downpour. If you're concerned about wiping down your gun or other hard/sharp surfaces a chamois is even better.

Finally, if you're going to be on a range with no overhead cover it's worth finding a canopy or two. They give students (and their gear) a place to avoid the rain. That's especially welcome when you're trying to give a lecture and they'd otherwise just be standing around getting soaked.

Sal Picante
04-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Clear plastic garbage bags are incredibly handy. You can use them to cover targets to prevent paper and cardboard from melting in the rain, protect your range bag, and in a desperate pinch you can even poke a hole in the bottom and wear it as a waterproof vest.

I keep a thin raincoat sort of "vacuum packed" in a big ziplock bag. It takes up no space, weighs nothing, and can be called into service in no time. I only use it when the rain gets pretty severe as personally I don't like shooting all bundled up. If you've got the space for it (in a car, for example) then a fresh change of clothes can be nice.

While they're not as cool as summer/desert boots I always wear boots that have decent protection from water. It just takes one puddle to ruin your day. It also sucks if there is a part of the range you can't (or won't) walk on because it's too wet.

A roll of paper towels in your car trunk does wonders once you get someplace safe from the downpour. If you're concerned about wiping down your gun or other hard/sharp surfaces a chamois is even better.

Finally, if you're going to be on a range with no overhead cover it's worth finding a canopy or two. They give students (and their gear) a place to avoid the rain. That's especially welcome when you're trying to give a lecture and they'd otherwise just be standing around getting soaked.

Thanks for the insights. Krupa always runs a canopy or two - another trick I learned was to keep a few towels in the car (post training, post match, etc...) in addition to some brownell's gun wipes.

I still got soaked as my waterproof jacket wasn't quite 100%... Krupa used some sort of high-speed rain gear...

YVK
04-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I still got soaked as my waterproof jacket wasn't quite 100%... Krupa used some sort of high-speed rain gear...

I've had a great success with Arc'teryx gear. The Alpha jacket is my dedicated water resistant shell and it has been stellar so far. I also have some skiing gear from them and it sees quite a bit of wetness due to my skiing style :). No problems at all.
The only downside is $$$$$.

GJM
04-20-2013, 10:01 AM
I have been wearing Arcteryx rain gear for the last 12 years, and in Alaska we have a lot of bad weather. Arcteryx is expensive but a great example of getting what you pay for.

Cookie Monster
04-20-2013, 12:33 PM
I've been through a lot of rain gear. I've done a lot of backpacking and outside work in the rain. I got various weight of jackets from Patagonia, Marmot, and OR as well as some REI stuff. They all perform about the same. I look for jackets that are long, almost down to the crotch, offer more protection and doesn't let water sneak in. Venting is important because if you don't get wet from the outside, you'll get wet from the inside. My favorite set-up is a non-cotton underlayer, my favorite is Icebreaker wool, and a full length zipper insulated vest, with a rainjacket on top. I'll have some heat packs in the pockets to warm up the hands. Being able to vent out and not sweat soak your layers is a good thing. If I need gloves, I'll have two or three pair so I can change them out.

Rainpants get them big you can layer over regular pants and again cotton isn't your best friend.

I don't care who says but Goretex is not waterproof, three or four days in and it will soak through. It was interesting in New Zealand when I was there, my rain jacket failed and a bought a new one. There the jackets list a PSI rating for waterproofness, I saw stuff from 5 to 40. Maybe this is a tangent.

I dislike wearing a hood so I rock one of these: http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/hats/seattle-sombrero.html

Might get in the way with your hearing protection.

I've stuck through classes and enjoyed myself when some have walked away. It is good to have the right layers.

Cheers,
Cookie Monster

Nik the Greek
04-20-2013, 02:41 PM
http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/826021/rei-kimtah-rain-jacket-mens

I can't recommend the REI Kimtah enough. My main criteria for a rain jacket is that it be breathable and maintain its waterproofing. I've worn normal coats that weren't as breathable as this thing. If you want waterproofing you can wear comfortably all day, this is the ticket. It doesn't provide much (any) warmth, so it's good for layering or damp and warm conditions too. I have yet to test it in an unrelenting multi-day scenario, but it holds up and keeps me dry over the course of a full day in the rain and offers great freedom of movement too. If you've got the cash, it's worth a shot. And if you don't like it, it's REI ( return everything incorporated), just return it and buy other gear.

Oh, it's also readily crushable and easy to pack too.

Drang
04-20-2013, 07:58 PM
If it ain't rainin', you ain't trainin'.:D

Or, maybe I spent too much time as a Light Fighter.

I don't care who says but Goretex is not waterproof, three or four days in and it will soak through.
They don't actually claim otherwise. Wash it warm, rinse it well, and spray with Scotch-guard. Iron the seams to ensure the heat binding tape seals fully.

JAD
04-20-2013, 08:09 PM
I have been wearing Arcteryx rain gear for the last 12 years, and in Alaska we have a lot of bad weather. Arcteryx is expensive but a great example of getting what you pay for.

I just enjoyed the /hell/ out of putting my Arc warmth shell away for the season. It was an excellent recommendation. Packable, breatheable, warm when I need it. The only drag is how tight fitting it is -- I look like Dieter from Schproketz.

entropy
04-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the insights. Krupa always runs a canopy or two - another trick I learned was to keep a few towels in the car (post training, post match, etc...) in addition to some brownell's gun wipes.

Another "Krupa-ite".....

John's a solid guy, as well as the others. Always enjoy and learn. Perhaps we've run across one another.

pr1042
04-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Not sure on your budget but FWIW, signing up for deal flyer on Sierra trading post will get you some decent discount coupons. i just picked up a Marmot Precip today for $50 which will hang out in my car until needed.

Dan_S
04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
If you are looking for good gear, check out Steep and Cheap.

They are a great place to buy gear from - they sell top of the line stuff (like, Gregory backpacks) for a very fair price.

http://www.steepandcheap.com

(Note, I'm in no way affiliated with the company - just a very satisfied customer of theirs...)

vaspence
04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Not sure on your budget but FWIW, signing up for deal flyer on Sierra trading post will get you some decent discount coupons. i just picked up a Marmot Precip today for $50 which will hang out in my car until needed.

Awesome jacket. I have 2 I keep stashed in vehicles and they work well. If I'm thinking ahead I do use an Alpha Lite most of the time, but the Precip is a good jacket that doesn't break the bank.

S Jenks
04-24-2013, 05:25 AM
The August 18-19 AFHF in Rhode Island instantly came to mind when I read this. At least it was warm...

reilly8282
04-24-2013, 07:20 PM
For a very, very light water repellant jacket check out Frogg Toggs. A lot of the local farmers, and tree guys swear by them for light duty. I don't personally own any and also forgot about them until I read this thread, but I have worked with guys that throw these on in the rain while I get soaked being unprepared and I must say they do the trick!

ST911
04-24-2013, 08:44 PM
For rainwear, I have the Cabelas lightweight Goretex shells. They work well with inner layers and aren't too hot in warmer weather. I also have the Froggtoggs suits. I can usually find those on clearance at various outdoor stores for $25 or so late in the fall. GI goretex for other tasks. What I wear depends on what I'm doing and what kind of wear/damage I'm willing to let it sustain.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm a huge fan of Arcteryx... You get what you pay for. Been wearing their stuff for a few years and I love it. I have a Beta hard shell.

jc000
04-25-2013, 04:08 AM
They don't actually claim otherwise. Wash it warm, rinse it well, and spray with Scotch-guard. Iron the seams to ensure the heat binding tape seals fully.

+1. Gore-Tex is meant to be waterproof/breathable. If the material hasn't been cleaned there is a chance you lose breathability, which translates to wetness/clamminess if you're sweating. I don't ever use Scotch-guard or iron the seams, however--washing per manufacturers' instructions usually revitalizes the DWR exterior coating which allows the Gore-Tex membrane to breathe.

People also have this misconception that Gore-Tex will keep you 100% warm and dry. The reality is, it may help keep you alive in certain situations but not in some blissful cocoon of total comfort.

I currently own a Canada-made Arc'teryx Goretex shell which I like a lot, but now that they're being made overseas, I'm not sure why the big cost. Personally I think any Gore-Tex or eVent shell from a respected manufacturer will probably work pretty well in active situations for most people. The general rule is: the more waterproofing, the less breathability. You should tailor your rain gear to your level of activity/exertion, accordingly.