PDA

View Full Version : So I said i'd never buy another .40S&W

Up1911Fan
04-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Sold off my .40 calibers 6 years ago and have been carrying/training with 9mm's since, mostly M&P's and Glocks. Main carry gun and it's backup training gun have been G19's. Due to not being able to find 9mm as of late, when I came across what I felt was a decent deal on a Gen3 G23, I bought it. I was kind of telling myself it would give me a dedicated frame for my AA conversion kit and I could sell the top end and mags and not have much into the frame. Now i'm thinking about keeping the slide just to have another caliber option. Anyone else add a similar gun to their main carry platform in another caliber? FWIW I will still be carrying a G19.

04-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Picked up a Gen2 Glock 21 because .45 ACP is the easiest thing to get my hands on right now. Bad part is, I am really liking it. So when ammunition prices and availability "normalize" I will probably still be shooting .45 ACP :)

Kyle Reese
04-19-2013, 06:01 AM
Picked up a Gen2 Glock 21 because .45 ACP is the easiest thing to get my hands on right now. Bad part is, I am really liking it. So when ammunition prices and availability "normalize" I will probably still be shooting .45 ACP :)

Hope you're saving your brass. :)

ToddG
04-19-2013, 09:08 AM
when I came across what I felt was a decent deal on a Gen3 G23, I bought it.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lts0oy4vG61qhzhglo1_500.gif

In all seriousness, it's not a bad idea. In addition to providing you with a caliber alternative when necessary it also gives you an easy way to work on your recoil management.

Crow Hunter
04-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Sold off my .40 calibers 6 years ago and have been carrying/training with 9mm's since, mostly M&P's and Glocks. Main carry gun and it's backup training gun have been G19's. Due to not being able to find 9mm as of late, when I came across what I felt was a decent deal on a Gen3 G23, I bought it. I was kind of telling myself it would give me a dedicated frame for my AA conversion kit and I could sell the top end and mags and not have much into the frame. Now i'm thinking about keeping the slide just to have another caliber option. Anyone else add a similar gun to their main carry platform in another caliber? FWIW I will still be carrying a G19.

Yes.

I have my old (1999 production I think) G23 with both a .40 and .357 bbls. It is mostly a host to my AA conversion, but I found during the last craze that I could find .357 Sig ammo at the local Wally World when nothing else was available. So at least I can shoot something.

I used to keep a G30 for the same reason, but it was different enough in grip/recoil/size that I didn't feel it translated well to the G19.

04-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Hope you're saving your brass. :)

I am, but not sure what good it will do me since I am not set up to reload anyway :)

HCM
04-19-2013, 04:20 PM
I am, but not sure what good it will do me since I am not set up to reload anyway :)

Plus there is now .45 ACP brass with both large and small primer pockets ........ Ugh !

Casual Friday
04-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Early 2011 I dumped the .40S&W in favor of 9mm, which I don't regret for a few reasons best suited for another thread most likely so I digress....

In talking to a guy some time ago, he told me that he has a G23 slide that he puts on his G19 frame at the start of each range trip. He puts a few mags worth of fawty through the gun, then switches over to the G19 configuration which is his preferred training and carry setup. He believes the warm up with the hotter ammo makes for faster follow up's on target. I don't know if that is harmful or helpful but it works for him.

pangloss
04-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I had a CZ 40B that I bought during the 2009 ammo shortage. A local gun store offered me slightly more than I paid for the pistol, so I traded toward a used Gen3 Glock 22 (police trade in in very good shape). Since I bought the CZ, I've mostly restricted my shooting to Glock 9mms. I figured if I have to shoot 40, it might as well be through a pistol as similar as possible to what I usually shoot. The G22 came with one mag; I found second one on a camping trip last month; and I just ordered two more. I'll pick up a couple of more mags next month, and then I should be set.

will_1400
04-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Due to .40 S&W being more available than 9mm at the moment, I'm in the market for a .40 pistol myself (leaning towards an M&P 40 for platform standardization).

JonInWA
04-21-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm certainly no big fan of .40 S&W, and years ago thinned my .40 collection to one gun-my Mk III Hi Power in .40. I like the gun, liked how it handled the .40, and figured it couldn't hurt to have one gun in .40. Due to the recent ammunition craze/shortage, .40 is about the ONLY cartridge that I've been able to find in any quantity with any sort of consistance-so my Hi-Power has been used in at least three IDPA matches (including one this weekend) this year, which is at least 2 more than I'd forecasted for it. It's a great gun-and I've concurrently used it for carry-so I have no regrets.

However, since my main platform is Glock, I'm also (reluctantly) considering getting a Gen4 G22 or G35...

Best, Jon

CCT125US
04-21-2013, 09:03 AM
I came to the same conclusion about adding a .40 to the collection during the '08 problems. Since then, my father has purchased the identical gun as well as a competion version. So come to think of it I might as well sell it off. If I come to the time in my life where all all I have in my possesion is a single box o' .40, I could borrow one of his. But, I feel it is a good idea to have several good quality pistols in a range of calibers should supply issues come up. Now only if they made a .40 P30............;)

ST911
04-21-2013, 09:34 AM
If folks have guns in different calibers already, that's great. I'm not sure I get the drive to buy new ones in calibers they don't or wouldn't have, just because there is ammo on the shelf for them currently. The ammo situation varies by area and vendor, fluctuates, and ultimately is temporary.

JBP55
04-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Traded my last rounds of .40 ammunition this week so I will have to quit shooting it.

TCinVA
04-22-2013, 07:29 AM
I've pondered buying one if for no other reason than being able to find ammo pretty consistently. Some time back a LGS was selling a nice SigPro in .40 for $350. Many a look at the ammo shelves empty of everything but .40 S&W has made me think I was a fool for not picking that up.

Drang
04-22-2013, 05:08 PM
wife went to Ladies Night at the local indoor range last week. I slipper her Firestar .40 into the range bag when she wasn't looking. She thinks the gardening she was doing last week is why the LCR and LCP punished her hands so badly, but she enjoyed shooting the Firestar.
I had been thinking of getting rid of it, but now I'll probably hold off.

ST911
04-22-2013, 05:20 PM
I've pondered buying one if for no other reason than being able to find ammo pretty consistently. Some time back a LGS was selling a nice SigPro in .40 for $350. Many a look at the ammo shelves empty of everything but .40 S&W has made me think I was a fool for not picking that up.

If you're looking for a deal on a .40, there's been a glut of Sig P226s, a few 239s, G22s and G35s at several Cabelas recently. They're not moving, and a deal could probably be had.

LSP972
04-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Dunno the situation where you guys live, but around here (southeast Louisiana), with one exception EVERY decent-sized LE agency is issuing .40 S&W. IMO, that is reason enough to own at least one pistol in the caliber. I've never particularly cared for that caliber, but I bought one to have, just in case.

Then the wife decided she wanted to "upgrade" from carrying the EuroPellet, so now we have four .40 S&W pistols and I had to start reloading for it, for her. And I found that the objectionable recoil characteristics, which was a main reason I didn't like the cartridge, goes away when you "load it down" a bit. 4.6 grains of WST under a 180 grain ball bullet is quite comfortable, even pleasant, to shoot. My bride loves it, although I "make" her shoot at least 50 rounds of full-patch ammunition per range session so she doesn't go soft. And FWIW, to us the delrin buffer found on HK recoil springs really does an excellent job of attenuating recoil a noticeable amount.

We shot a G22 and 23 next to her P30, P2000, and my USPc .40s, and the difference was quite apparent... to us.

You know, its entertaining to read about all the caliber controversy BS, and even to indulge in a bit of mental masturbation on the subject. But the bottom line is, ANY gun is better than NO gun; and it just makes sense to cover as many bases as one can.

Chuck Haggard
04-23-2013, 08:12 AM
I picked up a G23 on a trade, was going to sell it off, but it came with a LW 9mm conversion barrel.

Hmmmmm...............

As a 9mm that gun has been more reliable than one of my G19s. Now I'm thinking about getting a .357Sig barrel for it. Reasoning on my end is kind of retarded on why I'm keeping it, but I'll have a three caliber carry gun if I need it (four if I get a AA kit for it).

LSP972
04-23-2013, 08:24 AM
I picked up a G23 on a trade, was going to sell it off, but it came with a LW 9mm conversion barrel.

Hmmmmm...............

As a 9mm that gun has been more reliable than one of my G19s. Now I'm thinking about getting a .357Sig barrel for it. Reasoning on my end is kind of retarded on why I'm keeping it, but I'll have a three caliber carry gun if I need it (four if I get a AA kit for it).

Retardation is relative...;)

There's a lot to be said for a multi-caliber-capable carry pistol. The one thing I miss about shooting Glocks is my AA kit. I would give a LOT for a reliable .22 kit for my HK45C pistols...

MD7305
04-26-2013, 08:21 PM
I need to shop where you guys do because I can't find any .40 here. I shoot .40 primarily just to maintain consistency with my issued hardware. Locally, I'm actually finding more 9mm and tons of .45 Auto. I'm considering picking up a Glock 21 or 30 just to be able to shoot regularly.

rockymtnnut
04-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I am a fan of the 40 and I dont like all you guys jumping on the .40 cal band wagon. I have enjoyed being the odd ball.

rockymtnnut
04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
I need to shop where you guys do because I can't find any .40 here. I shoot .40 primarily just to maintain consistency with my issued hardware. Locally, I'm actually finding more 9mm and tons of .45 Auto. I'm considering picking up a Glock 21 or 30 just to be able to shoot regularly.

every red blooded American should have a 45

JonInWA
04-29-2013, 01:45 PM

You could certainly do a lot worse-the G21s, especially the Gen4 G21s have much to commend themselves as a contender-although I'm quite content with my personal Gen 3 G21.

Best, Jon

Drang
04-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Locally, I'm actually finding more 9mm and tons of .45 Auto.
I think I hate you.:rolleyes:

MD7305
04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
I think I hate you.:rolleyes:

Sorry, lol. If ammo wasn't a pain to ship we could work out some sort of trading/assistance program.

Drang
04-29-2013, 06:36 PM
want some smoked salmon? Maybe some coffee beans?

Up1911Fan
05-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Update: Sold the slide and mags as my main reason for buying it was to have a dedicated frame for my AA Conversion kit. Ended up being $85 into the frame!