PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's one way to come to a decision about caliber...

BJJ
04-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Story of a lone cop involved in a major shootout with a gangster. He switched from .45 to 9mm as a result.

http://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Kyle Reese
04-18-2013, 07:16 PM
We all know that can't be true. I've heard countless times at the gun store counter that a .45 will flatten a man, and 9mm is what silly Europeans, metrosexuals and girls carry. *insert sarcasm emoticon here*

Just kidding. Thanks for sharing the article!

MDS
04-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Wow, hell of a story. Thanks for posting.

Sparks2112
04-18-2013, 08:52 PM
But if you can't get it done in 5!!!

Dan_S
04-18-2013, 09:18 PM

5? Is that the new magic number?

I knew in New York you only need 7 now....

:rolleyes:

WobblyPossum
04-18-2013, 10:08 PM

I see what you did there. ;)

I view this story as something that says more about capacity than caliber. Each of his standard magazines now holds 4 more rounds. Then there's the two happy sticks. I can understand it. Having never been in a gunfight myself, I think if my first one had me almost completely run out of ammunition, I'd probably look for a higher capacity option as well. Stories like this one are why I personally prefer higher capacity 9mms, or would, if I didn't live in NYC. On the flip side, those who decide to primarily carry a lower capacity firearm, do so knowing that it will not be enough in something like this, the absolute worst case scenario badguy. They see it as making a compromise based on perceived risks. Personally, I hope any badguys I ever run into don't have the kind of willpower this guy did, because the 7 rounds I'm stuck with clearly would not have gotten the job done.

Kennydale
04-18-2013, 11:40 PM
http://youtu.be/8GDFrki0T9o
I shoot 40 S&W

TGS
04-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Interesting article.

I wonder if the extra weight will impact his agility. I know several cops who refuse to carry more than 2 spares and a minimalistic BUG because, I quote, "I do more time chasing people over fences than shooting, and I need to be able to keep up and do my day job."

There's no amount of gear that will keep you completely safe and prevail in every situation. Pursuing such just makes you an easier target in practice, and unable to maneuver as decisively. That, at least, is the lesson we learned in OEF/OIF. In the end, there's always a certain amount of risk that one must accept in the performance of certain duties. With that being said, any of the LEOs on the forum carry such a heavy load of ammunition on your person for patrol? Either way, what are your thoughts on such a loadout?

Chuck Haggard
04-19-2013, 07:59 AM
I started on the job with a .357, two speedloaders, later got a BUG (Colt Cobra) and added a third speedloader and a couple of strips.

I used to carry a S&W 5906 and a 6906, started with two mags and then found a three mag carrier for my duty belt.

Later carried a G17 with a +2 base pad, so 20 rounds in the gun, and two extra mags, and a G26. The G26 on the ankle got to be too heavy for my arthritis in that knee so now I'm carrying two S&W 642s instead, one ankle and one pocket. I have toyed with a three mag carrier since Safariland came out with that low profile triple mag pouch.

Guys who foot chase bad guys over fences as fast as they can go are playing a very, very dangerous game. Foot pursuits are one of the most dangerous things a cop can do, and one of the leading causes of cops being ambushed.

wilco423
04-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Guys who foot chase bad guys over fences as fast as they can go are playing a very, very dangerous game. Foot pursuits are one of the most dangerous things a cop can do, and one of the leading causes of cops being ambushed.
This. Especially the guys and gals continuing the pursuit after losing visual contact.

To the question asked above, I personally carry 43 total rounds of .45 plus a 442. All of our other patrol guys carry 2 extra pistol mags (mostly 9mm). A few others carry BUGs. I can certainly understand where the cop in the story is coming from, given his experience. I'm curious as to how exactly he carries the happy sticks.

UNK
04-20-2013, 08:55 PM
I think the AR in the front seat is the most important part of the equation for the incident described in the original post.

reilly8282
04-20-2013, 09:21 PM
I think the most important part of the equation is focusing on the sights and placing rounds on target. Although in that situation spraying lead is ones first instinct. If you could ever train yourself to focus in that situation it may have ended sooner with more rounds to spare. You would think a LEO would have a foot forward in these situations but I'm sure anyone would instinctively spray lead. Makes me think I need more live round training.

UNK
04-20-2013, 10:40 PM
I think the most important part of the equation is focusing on the sights and placing rounds on target. Although in that situation spraying lead is ones first instinct. If you could ever train yourself to focus in that situation it may have ended sooner with more rounds to spare. You would think a LEO would have a foot forward in these situations but I'm sure anyone would instinctively spray lead. Makes me think I need more live round training.
Only rounds that connect count. He shot the hell out of that guy. Multiple hits should have been lethal but weren't. He was not your average patrolman. 5.56 outclasses a .45 in every aspect.

MDS
04-20-2013, 10:52 PM
5.56 outclasses a .45 in every aspect.

... except for size and weight of guns and ammo, and all the important implications of that.

UNK
04-20-2013, 11:05 PM
... except for size and weight of guns and ammo, and all the important implications of that.
this spilled out from the front seat of the cruiser. So this "Besides all that, he’s got 90 rounds for the AR-15 that now rides in a rack up front." instead of being in the trunk is what I am calling the most important part of the equation. If he could have bailed from the cruiser with that in hand it most likely would have had a very different outcome.

Chuck Whitlock
04-21-2013, 12:03 PM
I hate to MMQB, and there are variables such as relative positioning of vehicles that are not obvious from a written description, but a viable alternative may have been to stomp on the gas and do one's best to run over the SOB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyeZ9ujm23M