PDA

View Full Version : Bad gun advice YOU'VE given

Joe in PNG
04-24-2011, 02:20 AM
Fess up, people!

Let’s face it; shooting is a constant learning experience. And I think most of us here are above the curve as far as firearms knowledge goes. However, in obtaining knowledge we often pick up some BS along the way- various bit of nonsense we discard as our knowledge level grows. However, sometimes we pass on that BS to others before we learn better.

So, what your dirty little secrets? What loads of BS have you dropped on some poor ignorant soul?

Joe in PNG
04-24-2011, 02:24 AM
For me- as the resident “gun guru”, I’ve been asked to recommend a pistol for self defense to those heading back to the US. My response was that they should get a Glock 19…
Good advice had I left it at that. However, I tended to add…Generation 4 model.

Now, in my defense, this was before I saw Todd’s and other’s troubles with the Gen 4. But I should have done my research!

BigT
04-24-2011, 05:37 AM
A long long time ago in a galaxy far away...

I worked for a school where the chief instructor was firmly of the opinion that pistols should be carried with empty chambers. And that situational awareness would allow you to spot the trouble and get your gun loaded in plenty of time. I am deeply embarresed to say I fell for this malarky and spread the stupidity. :mad: Young and dumb I was.

Fortunately I got better.

Tamara
04-24-2011, 06:10 AM
From '94 to about '99, I was a real big believer in those Marshal & Sanow "One Shot Stop" ratings.

Basically, before the internets, I was like an audio copy of the last six months of Handguns, American Handgunner, Guns & Ammo, Combat Handguns, etc. Heck, I briefly carried and recommended a Painted Ordnance P-12 because Jan Libourel, who I now realize never met a gun he didn't like, said they were the berries. (Mine actually ran, which was odd, but I wonder to how many people I sold wretched pulsating balls of suck and fail because I believed that dreck?)

MTechnik
04-24-2011, 08:04 AM
"Go shoot a bunch of guns and see which 'fits' you"- as said by me to a gun noob that doesn't know what a good grip is.

YVK
04-24-2011, 08:58 AM
That's rather simple - I have never given a bad gun advice.

I leave gun advice to gun professionals. I am just a dude on lane 12 working on my drills, no matter how cute a potential advisee on lane 11 looks.

BigT
04-24-2011, 09:13 AM
From '94 to about '99, I was a real big believer in those Marshal & Sanow "One Shot Stop" ratings.

Basically, before the internets, I was like an audio copy of the last six months of Handguns, American Handgunner, Guns & Ammo, Combat Handguns, etc. Heck, I briefly carried and recommended a Painted Ordnance P-12 because Jan Libourel, who I now realize never met a gun he didn't like, said they were the berries. (Mine actually ran, which was odd, but I wonder to how many people I sold wretched pulsating balls of suck and fail because I believed that dreck?)

I unfortunately once suffered from that disease. I need owned a P12 but golly gee whiskers I sure did want one.

John Ralston
04-24-2011, 09:42 AM
That's rather simple - I have never given a bad gun advice.

I leave gun advice to gun professionals. I am just a dude on lane 12 working on my drills, no matter how cute a potential advisee on lane 11 looks.

Don't squander those opportunities :cool:

Kyle Reese
04-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Recommending Bushmaster AR's from about 1998-2003, before I knew better.....

jetfire
04-24-2011, 10:00 AM
I used to recommend that people carry mouseguns a lot. IIRC, my logic was "you're probably not going to need it anyway". Then somewhere I got un-retarded.

Tamara
04-24-2011, 10:06 AM
I used to recommend that people carry mouseguns a lot. IIRC, my logic was "you're probably not going to need it anyway". Then somewhere I got un-retarded.

Which has a higher One Shot Stop percentage: A .25 caliber 45gr Hornady XTP, or a 12oz. cup of premium dark roast? ;)

YVK
04-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Don't squander those opportunities :cool:

Yep, John, sometimes I get tempted...Two or three weeks ago I was shooting at one of local ranges where positions are separated by a transparent plastic and you can see people next to you. A cutest young woman was shooting next to me, of course, accompanied by a dude. They were shooting all kinds of guns, mostly pistols. Standing next to her, I could clearly see she was closing her eyes with the sound of her gun...The dude was standing behind her giving her all kinds of encouragement...Took a good deal of willpower to continue minding my own business.

Sorry for a short derail, all.

ToddG
04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Wow... at one point or another I've gone through phases firmly believing:

9mm will getcha killed.
Never use the slide stop, it's a fine motor skill.
Lasers are a toy, not a tool. (my enlightenment in this area thanks to David Armstrong!)
A little force-on-force is better than a lot of live fire. (I once claimed that I could kick Rob Leatham's butt in a Simunition "fight" because I'd taken not one but two tactical pistol classes)
Weaver.
Accuracy is more important than speed.
Speed is more important than accuracy.

Tamara
04-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Yeah... I know the feeling.

I realized the other day that I'd been a member over at TFL for over eleven years now, and their archives are complete and intact. I went back and looked at some of my more strongly-held opinions from back then and it was just like when mom brings out baby pictures of me wearing a faceful of chocolate birthday cake... *facepalm*

SecondsCount
04-24-2011, 12:45 PM
I quit giving advice long ago as to what gun to buy. I was a big Kimber fan after having experience with them in the late 90's so anybody who asked what 1911 they should buy, that is what I recommended. A few years later when their quality plunged I learned my lesson.

Now I just tell people what to be wary of when shopping for a gun and let them make their own choice.

Joe in PNG
04-24-2011, 05:10 PM
I was a major CZ fanboi for a number of years, and told various friends to go and buy likewise.

jetfire
04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Which has a higher One Shot Stop percentage: A .25 caliber 45gr Hornady XTP, or a 12oz. cup of premium dark roast? ;)

It was a latte, if memory serves. I certain was glad to have the Jetfire, although that was the incident that prompted me to upgrade first to a j-frame, now to an actual 16+1 round 9mm.

Tamara
04-26-2011, 09:16 AM
It was a latte, if memory serves. I certain was glad to have the Jetfire...

Dude, a Jetfire beats a handful of nothing.

jslaker
04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
However, I tended to add…Generation 4 model.

Guilty.

Though in fairness, I was on the verge of buying one myself.

Corey
04-26-2011, 12:16 PM

9mm will getcha killed.
Never use the slide stop, it's a fine motor skill.
Lasers are a toy, not a tool. (my enlightenment in this area thanks to David Armstrong!)
A little force-on-force is better than a lot of live fire. (I once claimed that I could kick Rob Leatham's butt in a Simunition "fight" because I'd taken not one but two tactical pistol classes)
Weaver.
Accuracy is more important than speed.
Speed is more important than accuracy.

Wow, my list is almost the same. I was fortunate to learn early on about balancing speed and accuracy. I also met Rob Leatham early on in my shooting career and never for a second believed I could beat him at anything.

As for the Weaver stance and never using a slide stop I have an excuse. I worked at Gunsite for several years when Cooper was still around and had their Kool-Aid on an IV directly into my veins. That experience also resulted in this belief:

The 1911 is the greatest, bestest, most awesome ultimate defensive weapon EVAH!!!

I still love 1911's but I am also well aware of their weaknesses and don't recommend them to people. If they have already decided on one then I will help them pick one and educate them about it. Unfortunately, they have usually already decided on a Kimber.

jetfire
04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Dude, a Jetfire beats a handful of nothing.

Word. I decided to extend that logic to and a 9mm beats a handful of Jetfire.

texasaggie2005
04-26-2011, 03:30 PM
That a .357 snubbie would be the best pistol for my wife. I convinced her so well, I'm having a hard time eating crow. Now, that is all that she wants!

DonovanM
04-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I believe I once told a man that a 357 SIG was an excellent choice for a first and only handgun, because hell I did it!

I've since bought a 9mm and guess which one I shoot 1,000x more rounds out of...