PDA

View Full Version : My new "j-frame".....G26/27 or M&P Compact?

xray 99
04-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I read DocGKR's thread and "awoke from my dogmatic slumbers." Both of these guns at least double the J-frame's round count. Of the two, which would you chose?

fuse
04-23-2011, 02:49 PM
I heart my 26, great daily carry for me.

I even have a galco pocket holster that works great for quick trips to the store or getting the mail or taking out the trash. It is a tad bulky, but I don't mind.

willowofwisp
04-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I would choose the 26. a friend of mine has a 27..and I have shot it quite a bit, just not a huge fan of the recoil.

turbolag23
04-23-2011, 04:12 PM
i have a g27 and find the g26 easier to shoot more accurately, faster. i dont have anything against the 40sw round but i just find the 9mm easier.

Joe in PNG
04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I had a G 27, and hated shooting it. My hands would go numb after about 40 rounds. I should have gone with the G 26.

However, with the right clothes, it's a pretty good pocket gun.

3-7-77
04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I have a G26 and M&P9c, I much prefer the G26. The M&P compact is a tad larger than the G26. A side benefit of carrying a subcompact like a baby Glock or M&P9c is you can carry a full sized reload.

rsa-otc
04-23-2011, 06:18 PM
While I am a 45acp fanboy. In a subcompact I would go with the 9mm. As the previous posters noted the recoil in 40 s&W is extremely harsh in the mouse guns. You'll find that you will train more with the 9 over the 40.

DocGKR
04-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Stick with 9 mm.

I sold my G26, since except for BUG use on uniformed duty, there were NO times I found when I could carry a G26, but not a G19.

Between the G26 and M&P9c, I prefer the M&Pc. Between an M&P9c and G19, I'd generally go with the G19. As always, YMMV.

Prdator
04-23-2011, 09:20 PM
My 2c. If you plan to use the G26-27 as a BUG that would be fine, that is there primary role. If you plan to use them as a Primary gun then go with the M&Pc! Its"just" big enough to use in that role.

I've always thought that the best combo out there is a G17 or G19 with a G26 as a BUG ( or the .40's ect), this way the spare full size mag will fit any of the guns.

And like other have said, its just as easy to hide a G19 as it is a G26!

fuse
04-23-2011, 10:57 PM
And like other have said, its just as easy to hide a G19 as it is a G26!

I disagree, though I admit my perception of how well my gun is hidden may be different from the reality.

I just often feel too exposed with my G19. the problem is the grip, of course.

I don't feel undergunned with my G26. 10+1 is adequate, to me. As mentioned, it is nice having a full sized reload, as well.

Really the 19 vs. 26 debate is the same as the j frame vs. 19 debate. Only difference is degree.

Also, I really like my 19/26.

The reason for this little experiment was to be able to easily conceal carry a gun with an attached surefire X300 weapon light that also has a G26-sized grip for easy concealment and comfort.

dale @ www.gripreductions.com did the work. highly recommended.

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/a403ccbb0f1bbfa3c4088cadcc181021.jpg

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/cc34f7f506de11bb021c7a4548c60acd.jpg

I use a comptac CTAC for this.

I like it a lot. Still not quite as easy to shoot as a full G19, but I believe the longer slide and barrel make it shoot a bit softer than a 26.

Savage Hands
04-24-2011, 07:56 AM
I shoot my 9c better than my old G19 and I was not a fan of 45R's G26 with +P+++++ ammo :eek:

MichaelD
04-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I prefer the M&P9c for its softer apparent recoil and the Glock's tendency to give me slide bite. If you find you prefer the 26, though, get a 19 instead; it isn't much bigger and handles just as well.

JodyH
04-24-2011, 12:01 PM
My J-frame replacement is a Kahr PM9.
7 rounds of 9mm gives me more warm fuzzies than 5 rounds of .38spcl and they are pretty much identical in size.
As a bonus the Kahr is far easier to shoot and significantly faster to reload.
And you can carry the Kahr places the Glock 19 can't be carried.

TGS
04-24-2011, 06:18 PM
7 rounds of 9mm gives me more warm fuzzies than 5 rounds of .38spcl and they are pretty much identical in size.

How susceptible to limp-wrist induced jams do you find your PM9?

I tried the mini 9 route with a Kel Tec PF9. It was actually an excellent little pistol except very prone to limp-wrist induced stoppages. I figured that all mini 9's would be this way given the light weight/slide mass, but am not positive.

Anyways, I'm not comfortable with a pistol that is so sensitive to limp-wristing given the dynamics of actual gun fights. For the purpose it filled I was more comfortable with a 5-shot revolver compared against the mini 9's. I'd like to hear your experiences on limp-wristing it.

JodyH
04-24-2011, 07:15 PM
My Kahr PM9 has zero malfunctions is well over 1500 rounds.

As to "limp wristing", the only way I've been able to induce a "limp wrist" malfunction in any of my handguns is by holding them completely unsupported in 2 or 3 loose fingers.
IMO the majority of "limp wristing" is actually severe recoil anticipation and not actually a loose grip.

TGS
04-24-2011, 07:27 PM
My Kahr PM9 has zero malfunctions is well over 1500 rounds.

As to "limp wristing", the only way I've been able to induce a "limp wrist" malfunction in any of my handguns is by holding them completely unsupported in 2 or 3 loose fingers.
IMO the majority of "limp wristing" is actually severe recoil anticipation and not actually a loose grip.

Remembering back, I was shooting 2" dots and doing okay(no where near what I do with my P2000, but still okay :) ). So given that I wouldn't think it was caused by severe recoil anticipation. I never considered anticipation as a cause for limp-wristing, but I guess I can maybe see that.

Thanks for the input!

On a sidenote, I personally am impressed with the Boberg XR9. If only he could get things ironed out and put it into production. That would be an awesome j-frame alternative and make a huge jump in performance from other mini 9's, most noticeably in felt recoil impulse.

Jason
04-25-2011, 08:24 AM
I have a 26, a J-frame (642) and a PM9. If you are looking for a J frame replacement, the PM9 is MUCH closer than a 26. I think if you deep conceal the j-frame you will be perturbed by how thick and big the 26 actually carries. I still love carrying my 26 but its not nearly as easy to carry as the PM9. But just like a J-frame the PM9 isn't going to get shot allot. Its not a high-round count gun. I shot about 1200 rounds through mine, trouble free, about 200 with my duty ammo, and call it good. Only a mag here and there for fam fire. If you want a gun that you could actually shoot through a course, the Glock 26 is the way to go, but be aware, it won't be as nearly as easy to carry as the J frame or the PM9.

I know holsters can fix this issue, but image what a similar well built holster will do for a PM9 or J frame. For me, the 26 is a great always gun, but during those times when its super hot, or you need trimmer fitting clothing, the PM9 or the J frame rule that title, with the G26 being just a bit too thick and big.

xray 99
04-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks to all of you who replied.

SmokeJumper
05-01-2011, 03:19 PM

A side note to add with the warm fuzzies of carrying/having extra rounds at ones disposal/usage is that the Kahr 7rnd. and 8rnd. 9mm mags will work/function just fine in the PM9. I've done this with my PM9 and its around 1200-1500 with no issues or hiccups.

jslaker
05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't feel undergunned with my G26. 10+1 is adequate, to me.

For me, it's not an issue of capacity so much the the short+wide grips of the baby Glocks does not work at all with my large hands. The G30 is easily one of the worst guns I've ever fire for that reason -- it naturally wanted to torque out of my hands all the time. The G26 is better, but still not anything close to being ideal in my eyes.

fuse
05-01-2011, 08:36 PM
For me, it's not an issue of capacity so much the the short+wide grips of the baby Glocks does not work at all with my large hands. The G30 is easily one of the worst guns I've ever fire for that reason -- it naturally wanted to torque out of my hands all the time. The G26 is better, but still not anything close to being ideal in my eyes.

It is definitely a compromise.

I shoot my G26 much better than I did a year ago. I am still nowhere near where I am with my G17 (or where I'd like to be with my 26)

It's a work in progress, like everything else.