PDA

View Full Version : Tablet and smart phone discussion thread

Pages : 1 [2]

LOKNLOD
10-07-2012, 10:42 AM
The iPhone5 looks like a solid phone if you're already invested in Apple apps and comfortable with iOS.

I kind of look at it as the iPhone is kind of like the G19 (traditional, pre-gen4 debacle) of the smartphone world. Unless you've got some compelling reasons to do otherwise, it's a pretty safe bet. Sure if you are into certain features you can get "more" from other places, but for most folks just get it, don't fiddle with it, and use the heck outta it and you'll be way ahead.

Fanbois aside, all the latest generation phones are amazing and it just really comes down to preference.

No kidding. It's a phone, not a religion. It's even sillier than arguing about gun brands. In 2-years anything in our hands will be outdated and replaced. Best not to get attached. At least guns last a long time.

jslaker
10-07-2012, 12:33 PM
The manufacturer of the batteries has a recommended charge/discharge schedule for the first 4 cycles.
Whether that's "conditioning" or not I don't know, but that's what they say to do for maximum battery charge and life.

That's more calibration so the charge indicator is accurate than anything.

I just got a Motorola Droid4. It is full of "bloatware" and has a UI that the rooters hate.

I've got no complaints, though. It's fast and does everything I want. They keyboard -- as someone who struggled with the iPhone touch screen -- is a gift from heaven. There may not be a lot of tinkering I can do with this phone, but there's an incredible amount of WORK I can get done.

I've had a D4 since ~Jan/Feb. The original Android 2.3 firmware was preeeetty bad. The 4.0 update that came out a couple of months ago is quite solid, cuts out a lot of the bloat, and, like you, I don't really have any complaints at this point. In fact, this post is being sent from it. :)

jslaker
10-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I kind of look at it as the iPhone is kind of like the G19 (traditional, pre-gen4 debacle) of the smartphone world. Unless you've got some compelling reasons to do otherwise, it's a pretty safe bet. Sure if you are into certain features you can get "more" from other places, but for most folks just get it, don't fiddle with it, and use the heck outta it and you'll be way ahead.
Given all the complaints I've heard about iOS 6 Maps, the G19 pre/post Gen4 comparison seems particularly apt. ;)

LOKNLOD
10-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Given all the complaints I've heard about iOS 6 Maps, the G19 pre/post Gen4 comparison seems particularly apt. ;)

Whatever the item is, often the best way to screw up a great thing is to try to improve it...

Funny thing about Maps is that I haven't used it yet. I drive to lots of remote places for work but i guess I am not entirely dependent on the phone getting me there. Usually the time i need help is about the time I get out of decent service range :p

Byron
10-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I know I'm writing to a mixed audience here (some tech-geeks, some technophobes) so apologies in advance if I don't strike the right balance of layman terms and tech terms.

To "root" a device, as noted by Jody, simply gives the user a higher level of access to the device; root AKA superuser AKA admin access. The process of gaining this access does not change performance or battery in any way whatsoever, but it does open a world of possibilities that will affect performance and/or battery.

Once you root a device, you gain access to a number of features otherwise locked down in the device. On the "easy" side of the spectrum are features like those found in Titanium Backup (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup), for example, which can bulk backup/restore all your apps and their data. This isn't to say that there aren't backup apps for a stock (non-root) config, but they will be more limited in their functionality.

Another useful app that requires root is AdFree Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigtincan.android.adfree). It works similarly to the old Windows .hosts file trick whereby it maintains a list of known ad/tracker IP addresses and blocks them. This cuts down on the ads that you see when surfing the web or even using some apps.

One more example I'll bring up is avast mobile security (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avast.android.mobilesecurity). Some of its features can be used without root, but some of its most useful ones need it. For example, the firewall requires root and I find it to be an amazing thing to have (actually it's 90% of why I use the app). Using the firewall I can block certain apps from every connecting to the internet. If you have a rogue app that tries to leech your data connection in the background, a firewall utility could theoretically offer battery savings.

But yes, to get real battery savings requires taking this to the next step: custom operating system components. The two big ones to tackle are the ROM (operating system itself) as well as the kernel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)) (the bridge between software and hardware processing).

The ROM itself won't have a huge impact on battery. Rather, people see battery savings when they flash a new ROM because it invariably carries with it other changes (such as removing pieces of bloat software, etc). But again, you can remove these pieces of bloat without changing the ROM itself; you can get rid of them right after rooting.

[Note: some ROMs come with a custom kernel baked in, while others use a stock kernel]

The kernel is where you will see the biggest performance/battery difference. To use a sloppy car analogy, think of the kernel as the automatic transmission system. A transmission system that is tuned for power might accelerate more aggressively, but burn more fuel in the process. A transmission system tuned for efficiency might use less fuel, but will accelerate more slowly. The same can be said of the kernel.

There are kernels built for pure performance. Many of them will overclock the Central Processing Unit (CPU) i.e. run it at higher speeds than originally set by the factory. Some others will even overclock the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU). These performance-based kernels will also scale the CPU more aggresively (going back to the transmission analogy, this is the equivalent of hard acceleration). That is, a 1GHz processor isn't always running at a clock speed of 1GHz. When it only has low-effort tasks to perform (say reading a document) it might be running around 200 MHz instead. When the kernel detects that the phone needs more processing power, it will sclae the CPU up until either the task is complete, the max CPU speed is reached, or the processing needs no longer require that much speed.

A kernel that scales more slowly (i.e. jumps from 200 to 300 to 400) can sometimes save more battery, but will result in a user-experience that feels more "laggy." A kernel that scales rapidly (i.e. jumps from 200 to 1,000 at the first sign of cpu-load) will feel blazing fast, but has the potential to eat battery faster.

This isn't to say you get one or the other. Of course every developer, from Google official devs to hacker kids, wants to find the best balance between the two, and they keep getting better. Android 4.1 (JellyBean) for example, has much better kernel interaction than previous generations of Android, whether using a stock or custom kernel.

This is only scratching the surface of kernel discussion. I'm painting with a broad brush so as to avoid making this long post even longer. There are a ton of other factors involved in kernel selection, and they can ultimately impact the actual hardware features of the phone. For example, my custom kernel on my Galaxy Nexus offers me additional color/gamma/contrast controls for my display that don't even exist on the stock device. Another hardware feature I plan to soon explore with custom kernels is simultaneous USB charging while utilizing USB-OTG (USB-Host). In English, that just means being able to plug a full-sized keyboard or external HDD into my phone or tablet while simultaneously charging it. In stock config, I can only do one or the other.

As for power-saving apps... well... it's hard to offer comment. It depends so heavily on your generation of Android and your usage pattern that I hesitate to even try. I would simply suggest installing GSam Battery Monitor (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm) (formerly known as Badass Battery Monitor). It can tell you what parts of your phone are eating the battery (i.e. 70% of your power usage has simply been the screen while 10% has been Angry Birds). From there you can start to make educated decisions on ways to stretch out battery life.

Regarding one-click or user-friendly root solutions, I have mixed emotions. It's great that they open the door to a new generation of power-users who might have been intimidated by more manual means. That said, they also allow people to screw up their phones in quick order without knowing how to un-screw them. Think of them like any sort of DIY project for a gun; some people will get amazing results based on a YouTube tutorial while others will learn just enough to seriously harm their gun.

Seven_Sicks_Two
10-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Well I'm not trying to sound like a stereotypical Apple fanboi, but I'm into stuff that "just works". I understand that I probably don't use my current phone to it's potential (I use it mainly for the internet, music, calls/texts and the calendar). But, I want something that isn't going to be a pain in the ass to deal with when I use other features. I like the Glock 19 analogy, I'm willing to throw some sights on, but don't expect me to hand-fit parts. Android sounds like a 1911 to me :D. It runs great if you're willing to be your own mechanic;, but if you can't turn a wrench, it isn't a daily driver.

LittleLebowski
10-08-2012, 07:50 AM
You don't have to tinker with Android to make it run well,7.62. However, you can tinker with it and that is part of the attraction to some folks.

Carraway
10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
I just went from a basic phone that I've had for years to an iPhone 5. I held off for a few reasons, including not wanting to become one of the people constantly staring into a smartphone, and now it's hard not to.

So far I'm pretty impressed. Apple's maps app doesn't seem as horrible as has been made out, but it's still not in the same league as even the internet version of Google Maps, which is available. As for other apps, I've mainly loaded mine with news (including CNN, NPR, NY Times and a news aggregator called Flipboard, which I like), music (mainly Garage Band and Pandora) and things like NASA and Star Walk (a very impressive map of the night sky).

I also tried the panorama photo feature for the first time on Monday. If interested, here's a sample at a greatly reduced resolution for posting.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/tbp0107/panoramatry.jpg

G60
10-10-2012, 12:19 AM
LG Nexus phone supposedly "confirmed" for announcement late this month, release mid November.

I'm sold on Nexus devices. My favorite thing about iOS was the lack of bloatware and latest OS for almost every device.
I don't like to tinker too much, so rooting+flashing roms and all that is not for me.

I've played with an iPhone 5 for a few minutes, and it didn't seem as fast as my galaxy nexus. Jelly Bean & project butter are damn impressive. A shame only something like 1.2% of android devices are running it.

I am on at&t and don't live within 250 miles of an AT&T LTE network, so for right now that's a non-issue for me.

NickA
11-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Anybody else shopping for a tablet for kids for Christmas? Daughter started kindergarten and wants an "iPad" of her own. The Internet seems to love this kid-specific model:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410515,00.asp
Only potential drawback seems to be it only has access to Amazon app store and not the full Google market unless maybe you root it.
I can't decide if it's worth going with a kids' tablet over something like the Nexus 7, but the Nabi looks to offer the best of both worlds. We already have an iPad and a Kindle Fire, so this one can mainly be hers, but another fully capable Android tablet as a backup couldn't hurt. (I'd love to get a 10" Android tablet, but then she'd have to share it with me :p

Vinh
11-01-2012, 03:53 PM
I've thought about purchasing the mini iPad for my 2yo daughter since my 1st gen iPad (which she took over) is so slow. I would prefer a kid-specific tablet, but she's already so familiar with iOS, I don't think a less capable tablet will hold her interest for long.

LittleLebowski
11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I've thought about purchasing the mini iPad for my 2yo daughter since my 1st gen iPad (which she took over) is so slow. I would prefer a kid-specific tablet, but she's already so familiar with iOS, I don't think a less capable tablet will hold her interest for long.

Define "less capable."

Skold
11-01-2012, 08:54 PM

I'm just curious and don't want this to be taken the wrong way or anything, but what is a two year old doing on a 1st gen Ipad that is using the full potential of the "slow" Ipad that would make you think the new Ipad would do better?

EDIT: I do understand if you were wanting a smaller tablet for use that it might make sense...

Vinh
11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Less capable being a kid-safe tablet like the LeapFrog LeapPad.

It's not that she's doing anything special, she just opens up a ton of apps/games and the iPad slows down and/or crashes. I would prefer she not use any electronics at all, but that's a different discussion.....

TCinVA
11-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Kids cutting their teeth on iPads...

I'm having one of those old people moments where modernity befuddles, amazes, and threatens me.

JAD
11-02-2012, 06:59 AM
My two year old gets to play with the magpul case from my iPhone. He says, bye bye, then places the phone down like on a receiver.

He's never seen a phone with a receiver.

NickA
11-02-2012, 08:42 AM

I wonder if there's really enough difference between iOS and Android to matter, at least for young kids. Mine doesn't seem to have a problem going back and forth between the iPad and the Kindle or our Android phones.
On the capability side, I'd agree with you. I don't see the point in going with a true kids only device when something like the Nabi, Nexus 7 or iPad offers so much potential for growth. That's one thing I'm liking about the Nabi, there's preloaded kid stuff, but you can approve and add new apps to the "kid" side from the parent side. And if she grows out of the kids stuff or I want to use it, just put it in "parent" mode and it's a stock Android tablet, and a pretty good one at that.

Skold
11-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Less capable being a kid-safe tablet like the LeapFrog LeapPad.

It's not that she's doing anything special, she just opens up a ton of apps/games and the iPad slows down and/or crashes. I would prefer she not use any electronics at all, but that's a different discussion.....

Haha yeah I understand.... do you think that the faster tablet would solve that problem or would only delay the crash until there was just twice as many apps opened?

Seems like the solution would be to show her how to close the apps....... this would help with performance either way.

LittleLebowski
11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I've been careful to ration my 2 yr old daughter's tablet time to only in the car, out of reach (movie watching, mounted on headrest) while we are driving.

I ordered a Nexus 7 32gb today from OfficeMax. It will be a nice replacement for my iPad 1 that is getting relegated to permanent car duty.

LittleLebowski
11-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Scratch that on the nexus 7order. I picked it up from Walmart instead. Very impressed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MDS
11-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm in the market, undecided between a nexus 4, or a S3.

orionz06
11-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Since I left work early yesterday to buy one and forgot to buy it I am gonna take the wife unit to go check them out.

G60
11-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm in the market, undecided between a nexus 4, or a S3.

Unless you absolutely have to have 4G LTE, get the Nexus 4.
The carriers and manufacturers absolutely ruin the android experience.

orionz06
11-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Bought a 16g Nexus, wife didn't want a 32.

G60
11-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Managed to get in an order for a Nexus 4 this morning.

Either Google thought it was gonna flop, or they're deliberately trying to create buzz over how quickly they're selling out and play store trouble.

MDS
11-14-2012, 09:52 AM
I was too late - by the time I went to buy it yesterday afternoon they really were all gone. I'll wait a few days to see what happens, but I've already delayed getting a new phone and the S3 is actually pretty nice...

orionz06
11-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Bought a 16g Nexus, wife didn't want a 32.

I wanted a 32, bought one.

NickA
11-26-2012, 04:24 PM
I guess Black Friday weekend was pretty good for me- got the Nabi tablet for my daughter Thanksgiving night, $129 instead of the normal $199, and got myself a GS3 for free (was on sale for $49 but I had some kind of loyalty reward). Picking up the phone tonight.

pr1042
11-26-2012, 08:25 PM
I wanted to get a Nexus 7 but the wife vetoed it....Ipad "4" w/ retina display should be here at the end of the week now.

She will not stand in the way of me getting a Samsung Chromebook though!

MDS
01-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Bump for updates! I'm in the market to replace a MacBook Air...I think I want a bigger laptop that travels less and a tablet that travels more. What's the tablet for does Outlook+PGP, browsing, and MS Office? I can do it all on my Android phone, though it's annoying to work on something that small all the time. Is the Nexus 7 or 10 good to go as a "workhorse" tablet?

tremiles
02-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Bump for updates! I'm in the market to replace a MacBook Air...I think I want a bigger laptop that travels less and a tablet that travels more. What's the tablet for does Outlook+PGP, browsing, and MS Office? I can do it all on my Android phone, though it's annoying to work on something that small all the time. Is the Nexus 7 or 10 good to go as a "workhorse" tablet?

I've been using a 32 gig Nexus 7 since just before the holidays, and the stock mail/calendar/contacts app works fine with my hosted exchange acct. I haven't looked for any PGP function in it but K9 mail has support for it and it's free.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

LittleLebowski
02-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Mario, I'm only using my Nexus 7 32gig for personal stuff but it's fantastic. Fast, well built, good UI, and.....cargo pocket friendly, even with a good case.

orionz06
02-01-2013, 08:29 AM
The wife has replaced her laptop with a Nexus7 and loves it, won't look back. I'm probably getting a MacBook soon and she couldn't care less now. She was all over one before.

I'm using a Nexus7 for some things but the damned thing likes to crash on me and some programs seem to not want to open requiring a restart.

LittleLebowski
02-01-2013, 09:29 AM
I have had zero stability problems with my Nexus 7 nor my wife with hers.

orionz06
02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
It's probably karma for owning Apple products...

LittleLebowski
02-01-2013, 09:43 AM
It's probably karma for owning Apple products...

Nope, got a few of those myself. Waiting on the next Macbook Air to be released around the June timeframe.

orionz06
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Waiting for touchscreen retina MacBook...

MDS
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Waiting for touchscreen retina MacBook...

This. I hate to say it, but I'm a little tempted by the Surface Pro - if MS hadn't locked down the hardware in ways that makes Apple look like RMS, I'd wait a week and buy it.

As it stands, I think I'll get the Nexus 7 instead of the 10, and wait for something like an Ultrabook in a 10" tablet form...the 11" MB Air is really close to perfect, if it had just a little more juice for doing real work...

Zhurdan
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Don't recall seeing anyone say anything about the MS Surface RT or Pro so far. (Pro isn't released yet, but the RT has been out for a while now.) Anyone have any experience with the RT?

I know, I know, it's Microsoft, but I'm looking for a bridge between tablet and laptop.

tremiles
02-02-2013, 06:34 AM
The RT version of Windows 8 is pretty locked down in terms of software sources. Windows store is it. Non RT Windows 8 tablets have the same Windows that a laptop or desktop would and you can install software from SD cards/memory sticks/net shares.

JConn
02-02-2013, 09:07 AM
I have been very happy with my nexus 7. It has replaced my computer for most of my usage. I still use a computer for heavy stuff but for reviewing documents and checking mail it is a great tool. It is much faster and more responsive than many other android devices thanks to 4.1.

Tamara
02-02-2013, 09:46 AM
All I know is that I'm a Bluetooth keyboard away from an iPad completely supplanting my Asus Eee 901 for mobile writing chores...

LittleLebowski
02-02-2013, 10:07 AM
All I know is that I'm a Bluetooth keyboard away from an iPad completely supplanting my Asus Eee 901 for mobile writing chores...

I'll send you an Apple one if you want.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tamara
02-02-2013, 10:39 AM
I'll send you an Apple one if you want.

Definitely interested.

LittleLebowski
02-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Definitely interested.

It's yours. Let me double check when I get home

SeriousStudent
02-02-2013, 12:09 PM
This. I hate to say it, but I'm a little tempted by the Surface Pro - if MS hadn't locked down the hardware in ways that makes Apple look like RMS, I'd wait a week and buy it.

As it stands, I think I'll get the Nexus 7 instead of the 10, and wait for something like an Ultrabook in a 10" tablet form...the 11" MB Air is really close to perfect, if it had just a little more juice for doing real work...

Our users on the Nexus 7 have been very pleased. In fact, it took more than gentle words to pry them out of their grubby mitts during the eval period.

We did test a couple of dozen Surface RT tablets. Most folks were okay with them. Apple users preferred iPads, Droid users like the Nexus, and Windows users took a while to learn the new Windows 8 interface.

We're already on the list to get a couple of dozen Surface Pro tablets next week. I'll let you know how they are received. The only issue I have noticed on the early models is the screen resolution. It's 1920 by 1080 on the Pro, versus 1366 by 768 on the RT.

That's nice when you run the video out to an external monitor, which we tried, and it ran great. But when you try and read the mail client, the letters look itty bitty. It's hard for me to read that, even when I take off the bifocals and switch to my special Clark Kent cheater readers.

If you are in a AD shop that runs a lot of devices (which we are), the Surface Pro is a no-brainer. It's managed just like any other Windows 8 Pro or Enterprise device. There are some special GPO's you need for Windows 8, but it's not a big deal to set up.

We run about 215,000 mobile devices in our environment - phones, iPads, tablets, scanners, etc. So we often look at things from the perspective of mobile device management and asset/data protection, rather how cool a user thinks it is. We've got about 85,000 laptops. We see a sweet spot of combining some of those, and reducing overall spend. We could probably get 50,000 tablets, and decommission the same number of laptops.

I really, really like the Nexus 7 for a tablet. I played with a Nexus 10, and it was just a wee bit big. Nice, but not as handy. I'd rather tote my Samsung Series 9 ultrabook, and have all that horsepower and associated tools.

I'd consider a Surface Pro if you want to combine a laptop and a tablet, and just carry a single device in a managed environment. Get the Type cover, and not the Touch. The 10 extra bucks is well worth it. If it's a personal device, I really agree with LLB, the Nexus 7 is a very useful device. Just depends on your ecosystem.

HP will have some fascinating stuff out this summer you may want to wait for, as well. But that's always the rub, the "next cool thing" is always right around the corner. Just pick a technology that works for you, and have fun. I've got Mac's, Droids and Windows stuff in my house, in my lab, and in my office. I have pistols, rifles and shotguns, too. They are all tools, and all do different stuff.

Hope that helps.

JodyH
02-03-2013, 12:31 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 10, Nexus 7 and a MacBook Air 13".
If I was going to trim things down as much as possible, it's be a Galaxy Note-2 for my phone and the MBAir.
The tablets are awesome, but I think a big phone/tablet would have me leaving the 7" tablet in the drawer.
The MBAir completely kicks the 10" tablets butt in pretty much every category except viewing movies on the airplane.
My wife on the other hand has pretty much replaced her laptop with an iPad2.

Good thing is, since I don't have to trim back, I keep them all and use each in it's niche.
:cool:

SeriousStudent
02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
If I was going to trim things down as much as possible, it's be a Galaxy Note-2 for my phone and the MBAir.

Do you have any issues toting that thing around? I've honestly debated something like that. I'm older, and my eyes seem to be aging faster than the rest of me.

I'd like to have the extra real-estate to actually read stuff on my phone. I've got a ton of tech stuff on my Kindle apps, and it's real handy when I'm helping someone with a reference.

Do you ever find yourself trying to stuff it into a jeans pocket and say "Man, this thing is too big"?

I agree with you on the MacBook Air form factor. Apple really nailed that one.

LittleLebowski
02-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Keep in mind that the Microsoft tablets use nearly sixteen gigs for the OS and Office out of the box. In other words, nearly half of your 32gig device's storage is already used.

SeriousStudent
02-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Yep, that was one of the first questions we asked. On the Pro, it's likely to be even more, in the 40-ish GB range. So now you have to get the 128GB Pro, which adds another hundred clams.

They do have a slot for a MicroSDXC card, which runs about a dollar a gig in the class 10 performance range. It's not horribly bad, running one of those with TrueCrypt or Bitlocker To Go. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the open-source stuff like TrueCrypt.

If I'm just running apps, the Nexus approach really rocks. Smooth, fast, no bloatware, no delayed updates, it just works. And if you want to root it, the sky is literally the limit.

Just my humble opinion, but if it's a personal device, the Nexus seems to really shine. If you have to manage a lot of devices (I'm talking thousands) then some sort of Windows 8 Pro tablet would be worth looking at later this summer.

The neat thing about free advice, is that it does not cost you anything. :cool:

Ga Shooter
02-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Since everybody on here and probably in the whole world is more technologically advanced than me I could use some help. I will be traveling a few times a year for my business. As such I have need of either a laptop or a tablet. I will be using it at the office and on the road mainly for internet based programs, Excel, Quickbooks, email, a few industry specific windows based programs and of course reading Pistol-Forum.com. I like the idea of a tablet for portability and would use it WI-FI only. I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I do not have a smart phone and do not plan on getting one anytime soon. Do tablets have a virtual numbers keypad for the numerical entries? What are your thoughts? Thanks for the help.

PS Since this is a personal small business trying to keep the cost down.

LittleLebowski
02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
I'd look at the Nexus 7, GA Shooter. The cost and quality cannot be beat.

RoyGBiv
02-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Since everybody on here and probably in the whole world is more technologically advanced than me I could use some help. I will be traveling a few times a year for my business. As such I have need of either a laptop or a tablet. I will be using it at the office and on the road mainly for internet based programs, Excel, Quickbooks, email, a few industry specific windows based programs and of course reading Pistol-Forum.com. I like the idea of a tablet for portability and would use it WI-FI only. I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I do not have a smart phone and do not plan on getting one anytime soon. Do tablets have a virtual numbers keypad for the numerical entries? What are your thoughts? Thanks for the help.

PS Since this is a personal small business trying to keep the cost down.

THE question is...
How certain are you that EVERYTHING you'll need to do on the road can be accomplished within a web browser?

If your answer is 100% certain, YES, then, a good tablet will do the job.
[Yes, it has a virtual keyboard, just like your smartphone and you can download different keyboards to customize the experience to your needs]

But..... If you think there's a good chance that you'll make good use of say, being able to do spreadsheets in the airport or on the airplane, or have a lot of files you'll need to access for presentations, etc, then maybe an inexpensive PC or netbook is a more robust solution.

You can buy a slim, quick laptop for under $400. Here's something from today's FRY's (http://www.frys.com/product/7345084?site=frysecampaign1date:020813%20disc:Asus %20X501A%2c%20Intel%20Core%20i3-2350) ad, as a quick example.

I love my Galaxy, the wife loves her iPad. But neither of us could work from the road successfully on them. YMMV.

ToddG
02-08-2013, 02:53 PM
I am very seriously considering replacing my range diary with a Nexus 7. I was using my iPad for quite a while, but the size is a bit of a hassle. I also use the iPad for other things so half the time it wouldn't be in my range bag when I wanted it.

LittleLebowski
02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I am very seriously considering replacing my range diary with a Nexus 7. I was using my iPad for quite a while, but the size is a bit of a hassle. I also use the iPad for other things so half the time it wouldn't be in my range bag when I wanted it.

Hard to beat a 32gig nexus 7 at Walmart for $250. I don't miss my iPad one bit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

MDS
02-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Does this thing work? :-) Looks like I've got one more stupid mind game to play on myself during the GoRuck Challenge that starts tonight: if I quit I can go play with my new tablet...

TCinVA
02-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Hard to beat a 32gig nexus 7 at Walmart for $250. I don't miss my iPad one bit.

I want to find a way to hook one up to the CANBUS system in my car to replace the in-dash unit I've got.

Byron
02-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I want to find a way to hook one up to the CANBUS system in my car to replace the in-dash unit I've got.

Forgive my ignorance, as I don't know what a CANBUS is, but on the RootzWiki forums, there are a number of guys who've done car installs of their Nexus 7 + USB DAC. One developer there has a custom kernel you can flash which will allow the N7 to receive power while simultaneously powering the DAC. This requires a USB-OTG Y cable, of course, but those can be found for a few bucks.

When I'm near a PC again I'll post some links here

SeriousStudent
02-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Keep in mind that the Microsoft tablets use nearly sixteen gigs for the OS and Office out of the box. In other words, nearly half of your 32gig device's storage is already used.

I did find out something interesting today. There's a recovery partition on the Surface Pro that you can delete, and that frees up more 8 GB space. So you have about 98 GB of free space if you do that, and it brings it back into parity with the 128 GB iPad. I never use the factory image on anything, anyway.

Having said all that, I agree that for personal use, the Nexus 7 is the one that sets the bar. LL, you have any rumint on when Google will bestow a upgraded Nexus 7 on us?

Byron
02-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Nexus 7 links:

Original discussion that spawned development: Can you charge & USB Host mode simultaneously? (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/30615-can-you-charge-usb-host-mode-simultaneously/)

Custom kernel for flashing: Timur's Kernel - USB ROM - USB Host Power Management - USB Audio (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-timurs-kernel-usb-rom-usb-host-power-management-usb-audio/)

Special cable; any of the following links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-w-USB-power-for-Samsung-phone-i9100-i9300-i9220-9250-/150985173863?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item23276aeb67
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-w-USB-power-for-Samsung-phone-i9100-i9300-i9220-9250-/251127542280?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a785e3208
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-w-USB-power-for-Samsung-phone-i9100-i9300-i9220-9250-/200805377365?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ec0eee555

Just to reiterate; with the custom kernel installed, and the above cable attached, you can output USB audio from your Nexus 7 to a USB DAC (http://www.musicdirect.com/p-87559-audioquest-dragonfly-usb-dac.aspx) while simultaneously providing it with external power. This allows for permanent (or semi-permanent) car installs with a much higher audio quality*.

Amazing example project: Nexus 7 clean car install with backup cam
(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113259)

http://i.imgur.com/iesVpl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fxEv6l.jpg

With the same kernel you can also accomplish other multitasking, such as charging your N7 while simultaneously hooking a flash drive up to it and/or a hard drive and/or or peripherals... and/or whatevertheheckyouwant.

*IMPORTANT NOTE: while I know what I'm talking about when it comes to kernels and such, I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to audiophile stuff. My understanding of the improvement in audio quality is purely from my reading: I do not own a DAC.

SeriousStudent
02-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Byron, thanks very much, that is really sweet. I'm going to show that to a buddy at work that has been experimenting with his backup cameras for a security system.

ToddG
02-09-2013, 03:29 AM

Will you be able to get a Nexus 7 with extraneous blue LED lights?

TCinVA
02-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Otherwise what would be the point?

Sluts notice little details like that.

BigT
02-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Otherwise what would be the point?

Sluts notice little details like that.

That cross forum refrence is worth at least one hundred million internetz.

Ga Shooter
02-09-2013, 01:10 PM
THE question is...
How certain are you that EVERYTHING you'll need to do on the road can be accomplished within a web browser?

I am about 95% certain that everything can be done through a web browser since it all is now done through a web browser. I do have a laptop that I can use I am just looking for something that is more portable because I will need another laptop or netbook or tablet or whatever to cover everybody. As long as the programs I mentioned are supported it should not be an issue and I can "justify" the purchase of the tablet over a netbook or laptop.

Ga Shooter
02-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Nexus 7 links:

With the same kernel you can also accomplish other multitasking, such as charging your N7 while simultaneously hooking a flash drive up to it and/or a hard drive and/or or peripherals... and/or whatevertheheckyouwant.

The only kernels I am familiar with come from corn stalks. But if I understand this correctly With this kernel "download" I can use any USB input device and if I need or choose charge the Nexus 7 at the same time. If so I think the Nexus 7 just became my first choice of device that I will be looking to purchase.

Byron
02-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Byron, thanks very much...
My pleasure! Let us know if anything comes of it :D

That cross forum refrence is worth at least one hundred million internetz.
^Yea, what this guy said :cool:

The only kernels I am familiar with come from corn stalks. But if I understand this correctly With this kernel "download" I can use any USB input device and if I need or choose charge the Nexus 7 at the same time. If so I think the Nexus 7 just became my first choice of device that I will be looking to purchase.
Yes, that is essentially correct. Since you haven't yet purchased the Nexus 7, let me offer two caveats:

Flashing a custom kernel requires unlocking your device. This is a very simple process, and on the Nexus devices is neither discouraged nor disallowed. Still, I mention it because some people don't feel like going through the effort.
Every USB device I've tried so far has worked (flash drives, keyboards, my camera*). Still, just to be on the safe side, I'll stop shy of saying "any" USB device will work, and will say that "almost any" USB device will work.

*For anyone with a Nikon or other PTP compatible camera, I highly recommend checking out DslrDashboard (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dslr.dashboard). It gives me complete control of my Nikon D90 DSLR, including liveview. It's a completely free program and it's incredible.
If you have a camera that isn't compatible with DslrDashboard, I know there are other apps that might work for you, such as DSLR Controller (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller)

orionz06
02-09-2013, 04:30 PM
My pleasure! Let us know if anything comes of it :D

^Yea, what this guy said :cool:

Yes, that is essentially correct. Since you haven't yet purchased the Nexus 7, let me offer two caveats:

Flashing a custom kernel requires unlocking your device. This is a very simple process, and on the Nexus devices is neither discouraged nor disallowed. Still, I mention it because some people don't feel like going through the effort.
Every USB device I've tried so far has worked (flash drives, keyboards, my camera*). Still, just to be on the safe side, I'll stop shy of saying "any" USB device will work, and will say that "almost any" USB device will work.

*For anyone with a Nikon or other PTP compatible camera, I highly recommend checking out DslrDashboard (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dslr.dashboard). It gives me complete control of my Nikon D90 DSLR, including liveview. It's a completely free program and it's incredible.
If you have a camera that isn't compatible with DslrDashboard, I know there are other apps that might work for you, such as DSLR Controller (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller)

OTG Cable from Amazon on the way, DslrDashboard sent to Nexus now.

JodyH
02-09-2013, 08:20 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on a Microsoft Surface Pro 128Gb.
It should be able to replace both my Lenovo T430 laptop and my Samsung 10" tablet work machines.
"Ultra-tablet" in the field, snap on the keyboard and it's a full power x86 laptop back at the office.

Belmont
02-09-2013, 08:26 PM
It should be able to replace both my Lenovo T430 laptop and my Samsung 10" tablet work machines.
"Ultra-tablet" in the field, snap on the keyboard and it's a full power x86 laptop back at the office.

Good luck with that. Just don't stray too far from an outlet. 4hrs which means in real world use more like 2.5-3hrs.

To others, not sure on others with the iOS hate. Android is more 'advanced' but less 'refined', and I still don't think it's a stable OS.

LittleLebowski
02-09-2013, 08:33 PM
To others, not sure on others with the iOS hate. Android is more 'advanced' but less 'refined', and I still don't think it's a stable OS

I run Solaris on SPARC for a living and was an early adopter of IOS. Android is just as stable as IOS in my experience.

JodyH
02-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Good luck with that. Just don't stray too far from an outlet. 4hrs which means in real world use more like 2.5-3hrs.
If I spend 3 hours standing around holding my tablet... it's a bad day.
More like 1 hour gathering and interpreting IR images and then it's back to the office for a few hours of analysis and report generation.
If you want to watch movies and surf the net for 12 hours buy a iPad, if you need to run Excel and high end specialized Windows graphics programs you need x86 processing and the Surface Pro is the only game in town right now.
It's a tablet/ultrabook hybrid.

Belmont
02-09-2013, 09:51 PM
I run Solaris on SPARC for a living and was an early adopter of IOS. Android is just as stable as IOS in my experience.

Which is why choice is good. Ran a GS3 for a few months had more app failures and odd system crashes in that 3 months as all of my time on iOS, and that was with just a rooted S3 on all the stock roms and such. Not saying its not true...just that stability was not my experience.

Belmont
02-09-2013, 09:56 PM
If I spend 3 hours standing around holding my tablet... it's a bad day.
More like 1 hour gathering and interpreting IR images and then it's back to the office for a few hours of analysis and report generation.
If you want to watch movies and surf the net for 12 hours buy a iPad, if you need to run Excel and high end specialized Windows graphics programs you need x86 processing and the Surface Pro is the only game in town right now.
It's a tablet/ultrabook hybrid.

I guess I'd rather just tug along my Samsung Series 9 in that situation. And I am not saying Surface Pro doesn't have a niche application. Just don't expect it to be anything but, and the same with the rest of MS hardware. Last week I went to the Domain in Austin, and the Apple store was packed. Ate lunch with my wife, and went to the MS store. Only one other person in the store, and 4-5 employees standing around.

MS office is coming to iOS.

JodyH
02-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Which is why choice is good. Ran a GS3 for a few months had more app failures and odd system crashes in that 3 months as all of my time on iOS, and that was with just a rooted S3 on all the stock roms and such. Not saying its not true...just that stability was not my experience.
Were your iOS devices "jailbroken"?
Comparing rooted and flashed Android to vanilla iOS isn't a valid comparison.
My unrooted GS3 is as stable as my wife's iPhone 4S.

orionz06
02-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Maybe I need to mail you my Nexus to tell me why in the hell it keeps crashing and Google apps seem to not want to load. Not sure I'd call it unstable but damn does it get annoying at times.

JodyH
02-09-2013, 10:10 PM
I guess I'd rather just tug along my Samsung Series 9 in that situation. And I am not saying Surface Pro doesn't have a niche application. Just don't expect it to be anything but, and the same with the rest of MS hardware. Last week I went to the Domain in Austin, and the Apple store was packed. Ate lunch with my wife, and went to the MS store. Only one other person in the store, and 4-5 employees standing around.

MS office is coming to iOS.
Office on iOS will not be full featured Office.

Apple = consumer
Microsoft = corporate
Corporate buyers and IT don't shop in mall stores.

A laptop is awkward as hell to hold and use while standing in a cramped control building.
Much easier to hold a and use a touch screen tablet.

I see the Surface Pro destroying the Windows ultrabook market and taking a huge bite out of Apple Air sales.
If the Surface Pro2 can bump up the battery life with the next gen of intel processors, add a 256Gb SSD, double the RAM and higher resolution screen and it'll be a "game changa' ".

LittleLebowski
02-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Maybe I need to mail you my Nexus to tell me why in the hell it keeps crashing and Google apps seem to not want to load. Not sure I'd call it unstable but damn does it get annoying at times.

Sure, I've got three android devices in my house that run great.

Belmont
02-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Were your iOS devices "jailbroken"?
Comparing rooted and flashed Android to vanilla iOS isn't a valid comparison.
My unrooted GS3 is as stable as my wife's iPhone 4S.

No just reguar iOS to rooted ICS and then JB on the S3. No other mods besides root.

Did JB my iphone 5 but went back to 6.1 within a couple days.

SeriousStudent
02-10-2013, 12:56 AM

To others, not sure on others with the iOS hate. Android is more 'advanced' but less 'refined', and I still don't think it's a stable OS.

Or your battery life may be longer than that. There are a lot of variables on power consumption on mobile devices. I've handled and tested both Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets. Our numbers ran from a hair over 2 hours up to almost 7.

I'm not sure what iOS hate is.

SeriousStudent
02-10-2013, 01:02 AM

There are a lot of people thinking along similar lines. Look for some third-party vendors to come up with a docking station that will allow you to do a lot of that. There are folks that are working right on a powered USB 3.0 solution that would give you the Ethernet port, dual monitors, plus USB 2.0/3.0 compatibility. Plug in your external SATA drive into that for local encrypted storage, or use something like Dropbox or Skydrive. Because of some security breaches involving Dropbox, I'd be leery of storing unencrypted data there.

But then again, I don't think you should store unencrypted data anywhere.

Belmont
02-10-2013, 01:14 AM
Or your battery life may be longer than that. There are a lot of variables on power consumption on mobile devices. I've handled and tested both Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets. Our numbers ran from a hair over 2 hours up to almost 7.

I'm not sure what iOS hate is.

I don't hate W8. Just based on the battery numbers this is no Ipad replacement.

And yeah I can kill everything useful on my Samsung 9 and get 10hrs out of it, and its not even technically an ultrabook.

Belmont
02-10-2013, 01:17 AM
Going to be giving my wife my Series 9 Samsung and getting an Apple Mac Pro Retina with 2.6, 16gb, and 256 ssd. If I get an LG screen its going back until I get a sammy screen.

SeriousStudent
02-10-2013, 01:45 AM
I never said you hated Windows 8, if that is what you meant by W8.

And a Surface Pro tablet is not a iPad replacement, it's really a different device for different needs. It just happens to be packaged in a similar-sized container.

I don't have any ownership pride or confirmation bias on any of these things. I can literally have any computer-type doodad made, for my work or home. So I chose the things that work best for that job. My lab is bigger than most people's production environments. And it's got just about anything you might think of in it.

I don't despise my carbine, when I'm carrying my pistol. I don't hate my Mac's when I'm using my Droid, and I don't glare at my Windows machine when I'm on my FreeBSD box. They are just tools to me. This is what I do to feed the kids and the dog.

This is not meant to be a rant or talking down to you, just an explanation. Please accept it as such. I hope your stuff works good, and you like your new Mac Pro.

Belmont
02-10-2013, 02:39 AM
Lol no its all good. Just different uses for different stuff. Just would not personally buy a tablet which only has a 4hr battery life.

I think there will be or already are other w8 tablets besides Surfare Pro. I saw one review and the battery life was supposed to be a lot better even running 8 not the gimped surface.

Ill prob check out the pro this week at the Windows Store. Saw the Surface, and didn't care for the design.

Had a Ipad 4 and sold it. Not enough use, and think the UI is not good enough yet.

Ga Shooter
02-10-2013, 08:36 AM
[

Would this void the warranty?

I have seen them on Ebay for about $50.00 less than the big box retailers and they are "new" but unlocked. Any problem with one of those as long as it comes from here in the US?

Thanks for all of the help.

JodyH
02-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Lol no its all good. Just different uses for different stuff. Just would not personally buy a tablet which only has a 4hr battery life.

I think there will be or already are other w8 tablets besides Surfare Pro. I saw one review and the battery life was supposed to be a lot better even running 8 not the gimped surface.

The Surface Pro is not a "tablet".
It's a ultrabook in a tablet form factor.
The Core i5 processor is what differentiates it from standard (mobile OS) tablets and other current W8 tablets (Atom processors).
The Surface Pro is currently in a class all it's own, intel Core i5, HD 4000 powered "tablet" with the full version of Windows 8 and able to run any legacy Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 program.
If you've ever tried running a large Excel spreadsheet or graphics editing program on an ARM tablet or Atom powered netbook, you'd immediately see the advantage the Surface Pro i5 will bring to the table.

Microsoft needs to market the Surface Pro head to head against the 11" MacBook Air.
I'd do it by including the keyboard cover (the "good" one) and pricing it at $1099 which is exactly what the 11" MBA 128Gb sells for.

My commercial would be two guys doing "tablet" things like watching a movie on the plane. Then show them waiting in a layover lounge. The iPad guy sticks his tablet in his carryon bag and starts digging through luggage looking for his laptop. The Surface Pro guy flips out the kickstand, snaps the keyboard cover on and starts up Office.

SeriousStudent
02-10-2013, 11:22 AM
And that's how we are planning to use them. We have tens of thousands of iPads and iTouches and iPhones in our organization. I have one locked up in my desk, and I use it for Keynote presentations to certain members of my food chain. But right now, that's really all it does.

We've got a case of Surface Pros with the Type covers (that's the good one you referred to) sitting in our receiving bay as I type this. I'm going some more time with them, when I get back into the office on Tuesday.

I really wish they had battery that a user could just pop on and off, so you could buy a swappable one for a hundred bucks. Some else is working on that, however, and I was told you'll probably see one by July-ish.

They are also working on a i7 processor, but that's really dependent on Intel, and I don't have as many sources inside their org.

SeriousStudent
02-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Ill prob check out the pro this week at the Windows Store. Saw the Surface, and didn't care for the design.

Had a Ipad 4 and sold it. Not enough use, and think the UI is not good enough yet.

Yup, all good here too.

I like the iPad, but my biggest challenge with it is email and calendaring. I have 5 different email accounts and three calendars to keep track of. It's the main reason I have a Droid phone now, to be honest. It can rig it so I can see if I have a new work email, or personal email from Hotmail, or Gmail, or encrypted personal email, etc. Just by hitting the power button on the side of the phone, and looking at the notification bar. Pretty handy for me.

I think you are really going to like that Mac with the Retina. One of my fave toys is the new Macbook Air with Retina and VMware running Windows 7 Enterprise. I get some really, really nice hardware with a OS I like. I love the keyboard on it, since I grew up on a command line, not a mouse. It's like a Laz-Boy chair for my fingers.

But the Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook is sweet as you say. The first time I saw one, I almost mistook it for a mousepad. ;) The Mac has a better keyboard for me, anyway.

If you don't like the Surface Pro, let the concept bake for a while. There will be some tasty goodness out this summer, it's just still cooking in the oven.

Bigguy
02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130207/NEWS/130207060/Kroger-sued-fatal-shooting-would-robber

Another reason to NOT have a no gun policy.

Byron
02-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Flashing a custom kernel requires unlocking your device.

Would this void the warranty?
I cannot find any written policy online that states that unlocking the Nexus 7 will void the warranty.

I checked the following locations:
"Nexus 7 limited warranty (http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2662734)" on Google Support site
"Support Nexus 7 - Warranty Policy (http://support.asus.com/Warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Nexus%207&p=28&s=2)" on Asus site

With that said, I also don't know where I put the paperwork that came with my N7, so I can't say for sure that it wasn't mentioned in there somewhere.

As a general best practice, think of it as you would most other manufacturer warranties. For example, most firearm manufacturers say that their warranty is void if you modify their weapon with aftermarket parts. But 99% of the time that just means, "We won't support this item if you were the one who destroyed it." For example, if you asked Glock to look at your brand new pistol because it was keyholing, I doubt they'd say, "Well, you put in a TD magazine release. We can't support it."

If you unlock your Nexus 7 and later have hardware failures of some kind, I would bet you money that it will still be supported (assuming you're still within the warranty period). If you unlock your Nexus 7 and then screw up the entire system and file structure, don't expect Google or Asus to fix it. That said, however, it's absurdly easy to start the device over from scratch, and the device can be "re-locked" back to a factory state before you send it in. If it's in such bad shape that you can't even power it on enough to reset it to factory status, then it's in bad enough shape that they won't be able to tell what you have or haven't done with it.

I've never had experience with Google/Asus support directly, but I had to send in a Samsung Galaxy Nexus for warranty replacement because the charging port was damaged. Before I sent it back, I reset it back to stock and locked it up again (I had previously unlocked it and customized every facet of the device). The effort wasn't even neccessary though: they sent me the replacement before I sent them back the defective unit, and it was obvious it just went to some factory for destruction/recycling/refurbishing/whotheheckknows.

I have seen them on Ebay for about $50.00 less than the big box retailers and they are "new" but unlocked. Any problem with one of those as long as it comes from here in the US?
I'm not sure what to say. Personally, I would prefer to purchase directly from Google.

If the issue is saving money, I would check to see what promos are running. For example, Google sometimes gives Play Store credit with device purchases. You could use said credit for music, movies, apps, or games.

If the issue is having the device unlocked for you, I wouldn't buy it that way from someone.

The process to unlock the device is very simple. The longest part of the process is waiting for your desktop OS to install the drivers necessary to communicate with your N7 over USB debugging. If you aren't yet ready to undertake that process on your own, then you won't be comfortable doing the stuff that actually requires it to be unlocked. Flashing a new kernel, for example, is a more complicated process than unlocking the device to begin with.

Ga Shooter
02-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I cannot find any written policy online that states that unlocking the Nexus 7 will void the warranty.

I checked the following locations:
"Nexus 7 limited warranty (http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2662734)" on Google Support site
"Support Nexus 7 - Warranty Policy (http://support.asus.com/Warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Nexus%207&p=28&s=2)" on Asus site

With that said, I also don't know where I put the paperwork that came with my N7, so I can't say for sure that it wasn't mentioned in there somewhere.

As a general best practice, think of it as you would most other manufacturer warranties. For example, most firearm manufacturers say that their warranty is void if you modify their weapon with aftermarket parts. But 99% of the time that just means, "We won't support this item if you were the one who destroyed it." For example, if you asked Glock to look at your brand new pistol because it was keyholing, I doubt they'd say, "Well, you put in a TD magazine release. We can't support it."

If you unlock your Nexus 7 and later have hardware failures of some kind, I would bet you money that it will still be supported (assuming you're still within the warranty period). If you unlock your Nexus 7 and then screw up the entire system and file structure, don't expect Google or Asus to fix it. That said, however, it's absurdly easy to start the device over from scratch, and the device can be "re-locked" back to a factory state before you send it in. If it's in such bad shape that you can't even power it on enough to reset it to factory status, then it's in bad enough shape that they won't be able to tell what you have or haven't done with it.

I've never had experience with Google/Asus support directly, but I had to send in a Samsung Galaxy Nexus for warranty replacement because the charging port was damaged. Before I sent it back, I reset it back to stock and locked it up again (I had previously unlocked it and customized every facet of the device). The effort wasn't even neccessary though: they sent me the replacement before I sent them back the defective unit, and it was obvious it just went to some factory for destruction/recycling/refurbishing/whotheheckknows.

I'm not sure what to say. Personally, I would prefer to purchase directly from Google.

If the issue is saving money, I would check to see what promos are running. For example, Google sometimes gives Play Store credit with device purchases. You could use said credit for music, movies, apps, or games.

If the issue is having the device unlocked for you, I wouldn't buy it that way from someone.

The process to unlock the device is very simple. The longest part of the process is waiting for your desktop OS to install the drivers necessary to communicate with your N7 over USB debugging. If you aren't yet ready to undertake that process on your own, then you won't be comfortable doing the stuff that actually requires it to be unlocked. Flashing a new kernel, for example, is a more complicated process than unlocking the device to begin with.

Thank you very much. I don't mind (and in fact actually love) to learn how to do things like this. You have been very helpful. I am still 30-60 days out I think. If you have any links or tips to where I can get instructions on how to accomplish those procedures I would really appreciate the point in the right direction. I prefer to do my own work instead of buying it anyway. Just saw them on Fleabay so I figured I should ask.

Byron
02-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Thank you very much. I don't mind (and in fact actually love) to learn how to do things like this. You have been very helpful.
I'm always thrilled to help other people get involved with this kind of stuff, so you're welcome!

The fact that you love to learn things like this means that you'll have a lot of fun with your Nexus device. Unlike many other DIY endeavors, this is a hobby/project that only requires as much time as you feel like devoting.

Don't want to invest any time in learning the inner workings of the system? No problem: just use it stock.
Want to just invest a little bit of time? Unlock it.
Little more time? Root.
Little more time? Custom kernel, custom rom (operating system), custom whatever...
More time? Start decompiling other people's work... reverse engineer some basic stuff...
Lots of time? Set up your own build environment and you can compile yourself an entire rom build from scratch...

...you get the idea.

I am still 30-60 days out I think. If you have any links or tips to where I can get instructions on how to accomplish those procedures I would really appreciate the point in the right direction. I prefer to do my own work instead of buying it anyway. Just saw them on Fleabay so I figured I should ask.

Here are two good resources:
[Guide] Nexus 7 Bootloaders/Recoveries/Root/Back to Stock (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28544-guide-nexus-7-bootloadersrecoveriesrootback-to-stock/)
[GUIDE] Unlock and Root a Nexus 7 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1741395)

If you need help or advice along the way, don't hesitate to let me know. While I can't promise 24hr support, I'm happy to offer help where I can.

Just a quick note: most guides that you'll see for rooting will point you to ClockworkMod (CWM) (http://www.clockworkmod.com/) as the custom recovery to install. CWM has long been the standard, and most widely-used recovery, so there's nothing wrong with that advice. I've used CWM on numerous devices from 2010 until just a few months ago, when I finally switched over to TeamWin (TWRP) (http://teamw.in/project/twrp2). I personally prefer TWRP, but there are countless pro/cons for each. You won't go wrong with either one.

SeriousStudent
02-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks again for the interesting links, Byron. ClockworkMod is fun, I used that on a rooted Nook Color a while back. My son plays with that tablet now, and has never given it back.

I finally got a chance to play with a couple of our Surface Pro tablets today. They were interesting. We're an Office 365 shop, so the cloud integration is going to be fun to play with.

orionz06
02-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Nexus 7 + DSLR Controller is pretty kick ass.

LittleLebowski
07-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Anyone have a new Nexus 7 yet?

Ga Shooter
07-30-2013, 07:51 AM

Not yet but I am really looking strong at it. Trying to decide between a smart phone and the new Nexus 7.

tremiles
07-30-2013, 11:11 AM

Waiting for the LTE version. The LTE radio is reported to work on the LTE networks of all the US carriers, which is even more appealing than the 1920x1200 screen Then I can transition back to a cheap throwaway phone. I really like my Nexus 4, but with the case it's a little pocket dominant. And although T-Mobile's HSPA+ coverage is good in my area, price shopping any carrier's plan with 1 device is the cat's kitten.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
07-30-2013, 06:56 PM

I've been waiting for your review.

I've ordered one with the 32GB and no LTE, and I'll run it using my phone as a wireless hotspot. Then I'll buy a Nexus 5 phone when they ship in October. Pure Android works pretty well for me.

Tamara
07-30-2013, 07:34 PM

I hear they're more human than a human.

JAD
07-30-2013, 08:07 PM
I hear they're more human than a human.

Be sure you get the Voight-Kampff app.

ToddG
07-30-2013, 08:39 PM

I'm patiently biting my fingernails away for a week or two to see if there are any surprise issues. I mean, no company would be stupid enough to produce a mass consumer electronic item that, say, stopped getting radio reception when turned on its side... but why risk it?

Palmguy
07-30-2013, 09:58 PM

Yep. Using it now. Had a first gen, sold it when I upgraded to the N10.

I'm impressed so far...screen is excellent, device is smooth and quick. Aside from the resolution bump, max brightness is like the sun. Unlocked and rooted immediately, flashed a stockish ROM today.

Build quality has improved in my opinion.

Any specific questions let me know.

ToddG
07-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Any specific questions let me know.

How many times can it be dropped from a height of five feet onto hard concrete before it breaks?

Tamara
07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm patiently biting my fingernails away for a week or two to see if there are any surprise issues. I mean, no company would be stupid enough to produce a mass consumer electronic item that, say, stopped getting radio reception when turned on its side... but why risk it?

Dude, at the upgrade pace of consumer electronics these days, I think those worries are getting increasingly isometric*.

By the time that it's a proven fact that the Bananaphone 5z or Nebula SV has real issues, Consume-O-Con '14 will have hosted the launch announcement for the Bananaphone 6 and Nebula SVi. So then I sit on my hands and wait for feedback to see if those have issues, and lather rinse repeat. :eek:

*Exhausting and they don't actually get me anywhere... :D

Palmguy
07-30-2013, 10:18 PM
How many times can it be dropped from a height of five feet onto hard concrete before it breaks?

Well played, sir...

ToddG
07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Well played, sir...

Which isn't an answer to the question. Since I cannot rely on you, I just picked up a 32G N7 myself. I'll be using it as a range log so given my normal level of care when it comes to electronics on the range, I should have an answer soon enough...

Palmguy
07-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Which isn't an answer to the question. Since I cannot rely on you, I just picked up a 32G N7 myself. I'll be using it as a range log so given my normal level of care when it comes to electronics on the range, I should have an answer soon enough...

Fair enough. I hope that your particular question is one that I don't have the first hand experience to answer any time soon.

LittleLebowski
07-31-2013, 06:48 PM

Looking forward to your impressions.

ToddG
07-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Looking forward to your impressions.

Quick impressions for a couple hours of use:

The screen picks up fingerprints far quicker than any other touchscreen I've used.
The software keyboard sucks, as do all software keyboards. I'm already looking for a compatible keyboard/case.
Screen is beautiful.
Form factor is intriguing. I'll definitely take it more places than I took my iPad. But for watching movies on a plane, etc., the bigger iPad screen is a big advantage (pardon the pun).

LittleLebowski
07-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Just get the Swiftkey tablet keyboard.

ToddG
07-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Just get the Swiftkey tablet keyboard.

I got Swype which has been ok on my phone when I'm too lazy to open the hardware keyboard. It seems to be working fairly well.

Byron
07-31-2013, 07:28 PM
I got Swype which has been ok on my phone when I'm too lazy to open the hardware keyboard. It seems to be working fairly well.
SwiftKey has superior text prediction (in my experience), but now includes Swype functionality (I think they call it trace or something?).

Which is my way of saying I agree with LL: Swiftkey is the way to go. I use it on my phone and my tablet.

ToddG
07-31-2013, 07:30 PM
I tried Swiftkey on my phone and didn't like it. My recollection is that it "predicted" itself into more errors than Swype. I realize that makes me an anomaly.

Byron
07-31-2013, 07:49 PM
My bad - didn't realize you had already tried it.

Rock on with your new tablet. I'm jealous!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ToddG
07-31-2013, 08:11 PM
No worries. For the money, it's a pretty neat piece of tech. If it proves itself I might buy another (or replace my gen1 iPad with a Nexus 10).

Ga Shooter
08-01-2013, 05:59 AM

So is this going to start a new reliability challenge? If your tablet cannot go for 10 drops it is not safe to carry?:cool:

LittleLebowski
08-01-2013, 11:11 AM
I tried Swiftkey on my phone and didn't like it. My recollection is that it "predicted" itself into more errors than Swype. I realize that makes me an anomaly.

The tablet version is a bit of a different animal.

LittleLebowski
08-01-2013, 11:12 AM
No worries. For the money, it's a pretty neat piece of tech. If it proves itself I might buy another (or replace my gen1 iPad with a Nexus 10).

Might as well wait on the next Nexus 10.

NickA
11-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Might as well wait on the next Nexus 10.

Does anyone have good info on when the new Nexus 10 will be announced, and what it will cost?
I'm looking to buy a tablet for Christmas, hoping to spend about $400 or less. If the new ones are going to be more than that I may snag an old one while they're discounted.

LittleLebowski
11-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Does anyone have good info on when the new Nexus 10 will be announced, and what it will cost?
I'm looking to buy a tablet for Christmas, hoping to spend about $400 or less. If the new ones are going to be more than that I may snag an old one while they're discounted.

Supposedly very soon (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nexus-10-leak/).

ToddG
11-19-2013, 02:05 PM
I was about ready to sell my Nexus7 because it simply wouldn't work as a range log tool. The idiotic software keyboards make it a pain in the neck to enter numbers and letters at the same time... you're constantly jumping back and forth between keyboard screens.

Finally, I downloaded a 5-row keyboard from the Google Store. It's called "Hacker's Keyboard" and it's from some dude in Russia so I'm operating under the assumption that it's also recording and transmitting all of my personal information but hey, for a range log it works great now. :cool:

I've also found it to be perfect for reading books.

Beyond that, for serious email/forum stuff I still prefer a keyboard or my Droid4 cell phone... even though the phone is small it's got a physical keyboard that makes typing fast and accurate.

NickA
11-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Finally, I downloaded a 5-row keyboard from the Google Store. It's called "Hacker's Keyboard" and it's from some dude in Russia so I'm operating under the assumption that it's also recording and transmitting all of my personal information but hey, for a range log it works great now. :cool:

Seems legit :cool:
So did the Nexus 7 replace your IPad, or what? Just curious, since I'm trying to figure out how much I "need" a larger tablet (though your uses and mine are pretty different).
I've already got a Kindle Fire, great for reading but I don't like it as much for general net browsing, and I think I prefer the stock Android feel to the Amazon software. That said, the new Kindle Fire HDX tabs are supposed to be awesome and there's a 9" version. I just don't use enough media to buy a tablet geared so heavily towards it.

ToddG
11-19-2013, 05:37 PM
My (gen1) iPad is serving as a giant coaster on the end table in my living room and has been for about a year. I can't remember the last time it was on.

Having said that, with a physical bluetooth keyboard the iPad was a decent notebook replacement for short trips. I haven't found a good keyboard for the Nexus7.

NickA
11-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Interesting, but I can totally see it since you actually "do stuff" and travel with your devices, where for me they're mostly about play.
I just keep wondering what I'm missing. Seems like everyone is nuts about the N7, but I just can't warm up to that size for general web stuff. But, that may have more to do with the Kindle software than the size.

JodyH
11-19-2013, 06:14 PM
I have a 1st gen Nexus 7 that I use for Kindle reading and light web surfing.
I don't use it much anymore since I bought a Note 3 as my phone.
Between the Note 3 and my Mac Book Air, I have travel covered.
The pen input on the Note 3 makes range trip note taking a breeze.

YVK
11-19-2013, 08:33 PM
My (gen1) iPad is serving as a giant coaster on the end table in my living room and has been for about a year. I can't remember the last time it was on.

Having said that, with a physical bluetooth keyboard the iPad was a decent notebook replacement for short trips. I haven't found a good keyboard for the Nexus7.

Funny you mentioned that, I just returned a Logitech keyboard that I tried to use with a Nexus. It is easier to type, but I kept thinking that if I needed a keyboard, I'd rather get an ultrathin notebook

As far as tablet choice is concerned, I was an early adopter of Nexus 7. I dropped it this Sunday and it became a quadriplegic of a sort. Went to the store and got myself a 32 Gig version, which also has a better glass and better camera.
I dont think I'll ever get a tablet that doesn't fit into my cargo pockets.

NickA
11-19-2013, 08:34 PM
I have a 1st gen Nexus 7 that I use for Kindle reading and light web surfing.
I don't use it much anymore since I bought a Note 3 as my phone.
Between the Note 3 and my Mac Book Air, I have travel covered.
The pen input on the Note 3 makes range trip note taking a breeze.

The wife just passed up a tablet from work in favor of the Note 3 and loves it. Between that and her IPad she's set.
I have a GS3 phone, the Kindle, a netbook, and an old ipod that needs to go away (I have about 400 DRM protected songs that I need to find a way to break out so I can ditch it).
And the daughter has a Nabi tablet, that only accesses the Amazon app store.
One reason I'm looking hard at the Nexus is so we can start consolidating on Google apps and content; the fragmentation between Google, Amazon and Apple is getting to be a pain.

JodyH
11-19-2013, 09:39 PM
I found a great Note 3 case. Spigen Slim Armor $19 from Amazon.

Savage Hands
11-19-2013, 09:58 PM
I love my Note 3 and I'm pleased with the tech21 "Tactical" case, at least until there's something from Lifeproof.

JAD
11-20-2013, 07:56 AM
I've had personal iPads since they were released, but I've been driving an ipad2 retina for work for about six months. I'm a PowerPoint ranger and email green beret, and am able to travel exclusively with the iPad, no more notebook. I use a bt kb occasionally -- when I have a writing assignment greater than 2000 words, is the limit -- but get along with the soft keyboard just fine. I can't create PowerPoints and can't really /work/ on a spreadsheet, so I still use my laptop at work, but it could really be a desktop for all I care. For delivering PowerPoints and working with email, I can't imagine a better tool than the iPad.

The only bad thing about my iPad is how bad it makes me want a murse.

NickA
11-20-2013, 09:21 AM
I found a great Note 3 case. Spigen Slim Armor $19 from Amazon.

Aaand I just remembered that I need to order a case for the wife, so I'll check that one out :D

SeriousStudent
11-20-2013, 07:25 PM
I have a Spigen case on my Nexus 5, and really do like it. Barely increases the overall size, but quite protective.

NickA
12-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Since the new Nexus 10 never materialized, and I couldn't quite warm up to the 7" screen, I got one of these:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=lg_g_pad

Kind of a Nexus 8. A little over priced, but hopefully will fit my needs. Never had stock Android before but so far I'm liking it.

YVK
12-20-2013, 10:33 PM
I dropped and broke my 16G Nexus 7 that I bought when N7 were just released. That tablet was stellar.
Went and bought a 32G replacement. POS. Freezes, loss of connection, just POS.
Returned it and bought Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. This thing absolutely rocks, although us too expensive.

SeriousStudent
12-21-2013, 01:22 AM
I dropped and broke my 16G Nexus 7 that I bought when N7 were just released. That tablet was stellar.
Went and bought a 32G replacement. POS. Freezes, loss of connection, just POS.
Returned it and bought Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. This thing absolutely rocks, although us too expensive.

I saw the same issue with a Nexus 7 tablet at work. I did a factory reset on the device, and that seemed to have fixed for the user.

Just an FYI for a future reader, researching a fix.

SGT_Calle
12-21-2013, 09:10 AM
I saw the same issue with a Nexus 7 tablet at work. I did a factory reset on the device, and that seemed to have fixed for the user.

I've had connection problems with my daughter's nexus 7 as well, can't seem to get it figured out at all.

ToddG
12-21-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm genuinely surprised. Are these the 2nd gen N7s? Mine hasn't had any problems with losing wifi connections. Though admittedly it's now a permanent part of my range kit and doesn't see much use elsewhere, the NRA Range does have free wifi...

texasaggie2005
12-21-2013, 10:53 AM
My 1st gen 32gb N7 has been excellent. When 4.4 came out, I had some screen ghost touch issues, but those were resolved with 4.4.2 update.

YVK
12-21-2013, 11:07 AM

Did it three times.

I'm genuinely surprised. Are these the 2nd gen N7s? Mine hasn't had any problems with losing wifi connections. Though admittedly it's now a permanent part of my range kit and doesn't see much use elsewhere, the NRA Range does have free wifi...

Yes, 2nd gen 32G N7.
There was no loss of wi-fi, there was a loss of connection with a proxy server. Out of nowhere, I'd be online and boom. One hard reset fixed, but others didn't.
I don't know if that was a tablet itself, or a virus or malware. All I know that the N7 before it and Galaxy after it never did anythings like that.

SeriousStudent
12-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Interesting. Mine is the 2nd Gen 32GB model, and it is running the 4.4.2 update. It has never had any connectivity issues.

I'll ask my tablet guy at work if he has any other recommended fixes. Apparently we had one small batch at work that seemed problematic, but a factory reset seems to have fixed them. I'll let you know what I hear from him.

I've also been playing with one of the new Dell Venue 8 Pro tablets running Windows 8.1. They had them on sale last week for a screaming deal - 100 bucks at the retail Microsoft Store and online. It's an interesting device with a great deal of potential. But it's definitely going to require more technical chops from the user. If you are a IT geek that works a lot in the Windows space, it's absolutely worth examining.

YVK - I'll let you know what I find out. Good luck with the Galaxy Note 8.0, it's a sweet piece of hardware.

Savage Hands
12-21-2013, 11:23 AM
My 16G N7 Gen 2 has not had any problems either, I did return the first one that had dust under the screen.

ToddG
12-21-2013, 11:55 AM
FWIW mine is a 32G 2nd gen purchased very shortly after they were released. It's had no problems that I've noticed but I am far from a power user.

ToddG
01-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Old phone: Droid 4
New phone: Droid MAXX

I don't know whether I simply dropped it one too many times or the latest OS update was more than it could handle but my beloved Droid 4 was running ridiculously slow even after a full factory restart. I was due for a new phone anyway so I grabbed a Droid MAXX. So far I'm much happier with it than I expected. The screen size has increased just enough that I don't seem to have as many problems with the soft keyboard. Though I still wish they had a regular 5-row keyboard even in the software version. Swype is working better, especially.

The main thing that separates the MAXX from others is the battery life. Motorola claims 48hr of "normal use." I haven't run it dry but it's easily gone 16 hours at a time and been at 70%+ battery power. My Droid 4 was often in the red under the same demands. As an example, it was unplugged all day yesterday, all last night, and all day today except for about 30 minutes while I was driving and talking on the phone (Bluetooth). Battery is at 65% as I type this. While the Droid MAXX is pretty thick by most standards it's incredibly thin compared to the slider Droid 4 so that's been no problem at all.

In reality I don't often have battery issues if I'm being smart about keeping the phone charged but there are times -- like spending all day on the range or spending all day walking around SHOT -- that I've had previous phones die.

Of course, for Christmas I got an Astro3 12000 mAh battery pack specifically to address that concern. Which is now pretty much superfluous. Awesome.

Tamara
03-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Incidentally (industry disclosure: I get paychecks from S.W.A.T. Magazine) but the Android app for S.W.A.T. is finally out. I think there's a "first month free" special on, if you search for it in the Google store, and individual back issues can be purchased and downloaded straight to your Android device. If I get a direct link from our guy who's implementing it, I'll post it up.

SeriousStudent
03-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Incidentally (industry disclosure: I get paychecks from S.W.A.T. Magazine) but the Android app for S.W.A.T. is finally out. I think there's a "first month free" special on, if you search for it in the Google store, and individual back issues can be purchased and downloaded straight to your Android device. If I get a direct link from our guy who's implementing it, I'll post it up.

Most excellent, I have been waiting for this.

Appreciate the heads up!

PPGMD
03-10-2014, 02:11 PM

I stopped reading SWAT after they went on their Oathkeepers binge.

In preparation for my upcoming trip where I might use some hotel WiFi instead of my personal hotspot, I updated both my iPod Touch, and iPad Mini to 7.1.

Why does Apple insist to turn things on that I turned off previously?

NETim
03-10-2014, 08:48 PM
In an effort to convert my iPad from a toy to something that can earn it's keep, I installed the PDF Reader Pro app on it and then downloaded handgunlaw.us drills in .pdf format. (No I don't do wireless on the iPad.)

I've also been printing pistol-forum drills as .pdf files and saving them to the iPad via the same app. (Using iTunes)

Now I have another electronic device to drag to the range. :p

Slavex
04-05-2014, 05:52 AM
Blame Canada I bought a new BB Z30. Loving most of it so far. don't like not having a back button. the keyboard is swiftkey without haptic feedback. it is super fast and long lasting battery, I've been on it all day, about 14 hours, and still at 48%. After a few hiccups I've learned how to install most apps for Android. So I've got Practiscore and it works synching to Androids and Iphones, also seems faster than them. Overall for $29 I think I got a steal. And that was brand new on a 2 year contract with extended warranty.

LittleLebowski
06-21-2014, 01:27 PM
My nexus 7 did not age gracefully. Typing this from an iPad mini Retina.

JV_
06-21-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm on my second Razr Maxx. The first one got wonky after a year of service, requiring a lot of reboots. I got a warranty replacement for free. Now, that one is having similar issues on it's one year anniversary...

I have an iPhone 5 coming.

LittleLebowski
06-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Yeah, Apple products just last longer for me. You will like your iPhone 5.

SeriousStudent
06-21-2014, 02:17 PM
My nexus 7 did not age gracefully. Typing this from an iPad mini Retina.

What went wrong with it - anything preventable? I'm just curious, we are thinking about snagging one for a coworker's retirement gift.

Thanks.

Sheep Have Wool
06-21-2014, 02:30 PM
What went wrong with it - anything preventable? I'm just curious, we are thinking about snagging one for a coworker's retirement gift.

Thanks.

My original Nexus 7 ran into issues after 9 months with the digitizer. My wife's v2 Nexus 7 has been great, though.