PDA

View Full Version : Failure to chamber a round from slide lock (Glock)

Andy T
04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
I have been having the following issue with my gen 3 Glock 19 while reloading from slide lock and using the slide release.
This usually happens in a string when practicing reloads. After I eject the empty magazine, insert a new one, and hit the slide release,
the slide will close about quarter of the way, the cartridge will be "stuck" in the feed lips. Usually the a tap on the bottom of the magazine fixes it.
A few variables:
Ammo used is steel case Tula. I also had this happen with brass cased ammo, but will do more investigation on ammo types.
Magazines used: 10 and 15 round OEM Glock
Slide release: This happened to me with Vickers slide release. After I changed it to OEM, It still keeps happening.
Has anybody else had this happen? What could be causing it?
The gun has no aftermarket parts, except being a "Talo" edition - the slide and barrel are EXO coated.

MDS
04-15-2013, 12:36 AM
I was having the same problem. Read all about it here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5521-G19-FTFeed-first-round-of-slidelock-reload)

David Armstrong
04-15-2013, 04:54 PM
I have been having the following issue with my gen 3 Glock 19 while reloading from slide lock and using the slide release.
This usually happens in a string when practicing reloads. After I eject the empty magazine, insert a new one, and hit the slide release,
the slide will close about quarter of the way, the cartridge will be "stuck" in the feed lips. Usually the a tap on the bottom of the magazine fixes it.
A few variables:
Ammo used is steel case Tula. I also had this happen with brass cased ammo, but will do more investigation on ammo types.
Slide release: This happened to me with Vickers slide release. After I changed it to OEM, It still keeps happening.
The gun has no aftermarket parts, except being a "Talo" edition - the slide and barrel are EXO coated.
Are you having the problem when you pull the slide to the rear and let it go, or only when you use the slide stop as a slide release?

Andy T
04-15-2013, 05:39 PM
The problem happens only when using the slide release. If I "slingshot" the slide, the gun loads 100% reliably.

Are you having the problem when you pull the slide to the rear and let it go, or only when you use the slide stop as a slide release?

David Armstrong
04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
That would seem to indicate something is slowing the slide down or causing some sort of hangup that creates the same effect. Have you replaced the recoil spring?

Jay Cunningham
04-17-2013, 04:45 PM
How many rounds are on your recoil spring?

Andy T
04-17-2013, 10:04 PM
I have experimented with new recoil springs, but got the same results. The recoil spring in the gun is under 1000 rounds. Probably 5-600.
My gen 4 Glock 19 was cured of this issue when I swapped the Vickers slide release for Glock OEM.

ScotchMan
04-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Maybe this isn't the most helpful response, but I was always trained not to reload using the slide release, and to ALWAYS pull back on the slide and let it go. This results in more force being applied, which will overcome "stuck" rounds as you're describing. While it may work 100% with some guns, there are other guns it can cause issues with, which is why I train the way that I know will work with any gun.

By all means troubleshoot the gun, but I would argue that your technique is the real problem. YMMV.

David Armstrong
04-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Maybe this isn't the most helpful response, but I was always trained not to reload using the slide release, and to ALWAYS pull back on the slide and let it go. This results in more force being applied, which will overcome "stuck" rounds as you're describing. While it may work 100% with some guns, there are other guns it can cause issues with, which is why I train the way that I know will work with any gun.

By all means troubleshoot the gun, but I would argue that your technique is the real problem. YMMV.
That is my general response also, and the way I train folks, but several here oppose the pull back method in favor of the hitting the slide lever.:cool:

ToddG
04-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Setting aside the debate about which technique is "better" from a shooting, tactical, combat, competition, etc. standpoint...

Glocks chamber rounds properly when the slide is dropped by hitting the slide catch. Therefore, if your Glock does not chamber a round properly when the slide is dropped by hitting the slide catch, the problem is with the gun and not your technique. Sure you can find a technique that will circumvent and mask the problem for now. Heck, just drop a round in the chamber, then drop the slide, then insert your magazine. Ta-da! Sure it will screw up your extractor eventually but who cares?

If the minuscule difference in spring tension that you achieve by pulling the slide back another 1/4" is the difference between the gun working properly or not, personally I'd rather get the gun fixed then live on that ragged edge. YMMV.

Jay Cunningham
04-18-2013, 11:04 AM
I have experimented with new recoil springs, but got the same results. The recoil spring in the gun is under 1000 rounds. Probably 5-600.
My gen 4 Glock 19 was cured of this issue when I swapped the Vickers slide release for Glock OEM.

Do you load your magazines to full capacity?

JConn
04-18-2013, 11:29 AM
How old are the springs in your mags?

MDS
04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
If the minuscule difference in spring tension that you achieve by pulling the slide back another 1/4" is the difference between the gun working properly or not, personally I'd rather get the gun fixed then live on that ragged edge. YMMV.

If this is the same problem I was having - and the symptoms and cure are identical - then it's not about the difference in spring tension. It's about the geometry, and the fact that the Vickers part holds the slide slightly less open than the OEM part, which causes the slide to come in contact with the top of the first round in the new mag, rather than the rear.

Of course, none of this would be a problem if you just carried a j frame. ;) :p <ducks>

JConn
04-18-2013, 12:02 PM
If this is the same problem I was having - and the symptoms and cure are identical - then it's not about the difference in spring tension. It's about the geometry, and the fact that the Vickers part holds the slide slightly less open than the OEM part, which causes the slide to come in contact with the top of the first round in the new mag, rather than the rear.

Of course, none of this would be a problem if you just carried a j frame. ;) :p <ducks>

No don't start that in this thread! We just need one thread without that argument in it!

JonInWA
04-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Without pretending to have any definitive answers, I'd suggest that one or more of these may be causal factors in the original poster's issues:

-A RSA with 3K or more cumulative rounds experienced;

-The non-OEM slide stop/release;

-The non-OEM slide/barrel finish;

-The age/tensility of the magazine springs;

-The correct/current magazine followers;

-The cleanliness of the gun in general, the feed ramp, and the magazine;

-Whether the Tula ammunition used is w/in spec

General comments:

-I don't personally regard Tula ammunition as much more than stuff that will make the gun go "bang,"(and with interesting variations in velocity within each box...) but I've never personally experienced chambering issues with it-most of my Tula experience has been with their .40 and .45 ACP loadings; nevertheless, your results will be more credible with higher-quality ammunition (and yeah, I know that getting ANY 9mm these days is tough);

-Simple, inexpensive fixes probably begin with replacing the RSA and all magazine springs, and ensuring that your magazine followers are correct and current. All, and info pertaining to all can be obtained from Glock Tech Support, reachable at 770.432.1202.

-Field strip, clean and lube the gun. Yeah, the way you're supposed to, not according to some gunrag writer who is writing about the T&E piece he was provided, and too lazy/unknowledgeable to perform these steps IAW common sense and the manual; I clean and lube all of my guns after each and every firing session. Overkill? Maybe-but then I've automatically eliminated one potential causal factor right off the bat, and since just about all of my guns are used for defensive and competition, I want everything to be fireable and trustworthy.

-Replace the Vickers/Tango Down Slide Release with the OEM one (or the proper Glock Extended Slide Stop/Release for your Gen 3 Glock)-just as an experiment....just sayin'

-The gun should chamber correctly whether initiating slide release from slide lock via activation of the slide release or a properly executed slide tug-back/slingshot/overhand etc release. All techniques are tools in the toolbox, all, if properly executed, should work just fine. In my opinion, the least likely problematic is by simply activating the slide release....

-I've read mixed reviews of the EXO application/process. On a Glock, especially those with the previous Tenifer application and oxide finish, the EXO seems redundant as a protective finish, and solely providing a cosmetic alternative-but that's water under the bridge from the original poster's standpoint. While most seem happy with it, you might consider polishing your feed ramp, and checking other areas of parts reciprocation with the slide and barrel for smoothness, consistency, and tolerancing.

Best, Jon

Jay Cunningham
04-19-2013, 07:00 AM
A few variables:

My answer to you is to download your Glock magazines by one round (a generally good practice for Glock magazines) and to ensure your Glock is lubricated. If your gun is still hanging up while trying to drop the slide on your reload, then it's a bigger issue.

BN
04-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Have you checked the breech face and extractor for burrs?

David Armstrong
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
from Todd:
Glocks chamber rounds properly when the slide is dropped by hitting the slide catch. Therefore, if your Glock does not chamber a round properly when the slide is dropped by hitting the slide catch, the problem is with the gun and not your technique.
Right. That's why I didn't make an issue of it. Right technique, wrong, technique, something is mechanically out of whack.