PDA

View Full Version : Blood Lead Level

David B.
04-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I had a full blood analysis done last week and I included a lead level check. Unfortunately it came back a little high at 5.4. The OSHA range is .0 - 4.9.

I was a little surprised because I shoot exclusively outdoors. I don't eat or smoke on the range, etc. I'm conscientious about avoiding ingestion, I wash my hands frequently before and after shooting.

The only thing I can think of is inhalation from the inexpensive cast lead bullets I've been shooting/reloading during this ammo drought.

Since lead poisoning can kill you or significantly decrease the quality and longevity of your life, I've had to think seriously about where I go from here.

A few things I'm willing to do before I get retested in a few months:

First try some popular coated lead bullets to reduce the airborne lead particulate when I shoot. I just received an order of Precision moly coated bullets and I've got a back order in with bayou bullets. The best would be complete metal jacket bullets, but I can't afford that with the amount of rounds I shoot.

Second thing I'm going to do is wear an N95 mask every time shoot in order to further limit inhalation.

Third thing is to step up my decontamination habits, e.g., dedicated range clothes, shower after shooting, and I purchased some D-lead soap and wipes from Amazon.

Fourth thing is to include some detox supplements intended to remove heavy metals from the body, e.g., Chlorella.

If my lead level hasn't gone down significantly when I get retested in a few months then I'm going to discontinue shooting for several months and see if that helps.

Searching on other forums, my lead level is comparatively low to others who shoot exclusively indoors, but I can't tolerate even the slightly raised level. One of my commitments in life is to live healthy and if shooting won't allow me to do that, then shooting will have to go.

I'm really bummed out because I love shooting. It's my favorite hobby. I train, compete, and conceal carry almost every day of my life. I'm hoping that I can continue training and that my aforementioned methods will work.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

God Bless,
David

TR675
04-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Some folks I shoot with had elevated lead levels. Their doctor told them to either take calcium supplements or drink milk after shooting - the calcium supposedly bonded with the lead. That may be worth investigating.

TGS
04-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Have you considered testing your water? From seeing other people talk about lead levels, it seems awfully strange for your shooting/reloading habits to cause an unsafe lead level in your blood.

Chuck Haggard
04-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Not exactly, at least by my understanding of mineral uptake. Your body will treat lead like it does calcium and put it into your bones. If your system is maxed out on calcium then your body doesn't do this.

Eitherway, a lot of people don't get enough calcium, which is it's own issue.

cclaxton
04-14-2013, 05:27 PM
I have had elevated blood levels of 22mcg/DL in early 2012, 12mcg/DL in late 2012 and just recently at 16mcg/DL.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that BLLs among all adults be reduced to <25 µg/dL. The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration highest allowable level is 40 µg/dL. The average BLL of all adults in the United States is <3 µg/dL." The 5mcg/DL trigger number is related to children. See here: http://www.nchh.org/Portals/0/Contents/CDC_Response_Lead_Exposure_Recs.pdf . Until you have finished growing, even small amounts of lead can lead to nervous system problems including lower IQ, nervous conditions, and in higher concentrations worse. See an article here on adults: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_Blood_Lead_Epidemiology_and_Surveillance Also, good links on Hygenall web site. http://www.hygenall.com/reference.html The CDC gave them the formula to make a soap that removes lead from your skin. Note that lead does not wash off with regular soap because it is the wrong pH and clings to the skin. Use Hygenall or D-Wipes to get it off before it absorbs.

My doctor told me that I should watch for any symptoms of lead poisoning: shakes, twitching, drowsiness, headaches, trouble sleeping, extreme exhaustion, etc. He said that if it gets over 25 he will have to recommend me to the Health Dept for further consideration of how to minimize exposure, and that anything over 40mg/DL requires Chelation treatment. So I am no doctor but 5mg/DL doesn't sound serious. I was already using D-Wipes and Hygenall Wipes to remove lead after shooting and cleaning guns, etc. My doctor recommended that I start using latex gloves whenever picking up brass or when cleaning my guns or when handling ammo or when exposed to lead.

That is not to say you shouldn't take precautions. There are three ways to ingest lead: Orally, through inhalation and absorbed through the skin. I think almost all of my exposure is orally and the skin. I do shoot at ranges that are sometimes smokey, and I do keep a lead filter mask for that rare time when it is think, but the concentration is low in smoke and I only shoot once-twice a week...not enough for it to be a major factor. When I shoot IDPA I am picking up brass and the ranges (indoor and outdoor) have heavy concentrations of lead in the soil and, thus, on the casings. Also, at indoor ranges, when you sweep up your casing, you will see grey "dirt." That is pure lead....be really careful with inhaling the lead particles when sweeping up or when outdoor and it is dry and dusty. You might want to put on the mask when sweeping up.

The MOST IMPORTANT prevention is to clean your hands with Hygenall or D-Wipes after being exposed to lead. I wash my hands twice, then wipe them twice with D-Wipes. Also, don't forget your face and areas around your mouth.

Here are some other things to think about:
--- Change your clothes and take a shower immediately after being exposed to lead and wash them before reuse;
--- Do not shake out the contaminated clothes otherwise you create lead dust that can be ingested;
--- Wash those clothes separately and run a rinse cycle in the washer before washing other clothes, especially if you have children. You don't want their clothes getting contaminated;
--- Keep one pair of shoes/boots for the range/shooting, and take them off and put them in a large plastic bag and close off the bag and use non-contaminated shoes for normal use. When you take off your contaminated boots or put them on, you just picked up lead on your hands;
--- Do not eat or drink in areas contaminated by lead. I carry a few protein/health bars with me and I carefully open the package in a safe area and eat the bar without letting it touch my hands or skin. When I drink water I am careful to use resealable bottles and don't let my hands get on the opening where I drink;
--- Shoot plated bullets to reduce lead exposure. TMJ bullets are plated on the powder side and even better at reducing lead exposure;
--- Use latex gloves when picking up brass, handling ammo, reloading, cleaning your guns/mags, etc.;
--- Clean your gun regularly so you are reducing lead contamination;
--- Fatty and Oily foods help the body absorb lead, so avoid them, especially they day you were shooting;
--- Eating foods rich in calcium and iron help to prevent the lead from being absorbed, mainly by taking it's place. Foods high in vitamin C help iron to be absorbed so don't forget the vitamin C. Eating a balanced diet will provide overall good health helping your body to tolerate the lead;
--- Wear your mask if you reload;
--- THINK about all the ways you are picking up the lead through clothing, shoes, guns, ammo, at the range, etc.;
--- Be aware of what you do with your hands while they are contaminated or may be contaminated...don't let your hands touch your mouth or eyes until you have made them clean.

Basically, lead prevention is not a lot different method than preventing bacterial contamination...just different chemicals involved. Having Hygenall or D-lead always available when you need it is important. Overall awareness of how you get contaminated will help you track the method of ingestion. The OTC chelation agents are either ineffective or possibly dangerous...I would avoid them.

If you have kids, have them checked...even just as a reference for the future. They are the ones most vulnerable to serious consequences.

Let me know if you find more good info...always looking for good ideas or good products to use.
To your health, sir!
CC

CCT125US
04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Based upon the source and the date of a study, it seems the term "safe level" varies somewhat. I had my levels drawn last year and had 9 mcg /dcl and my doctor was not concerned. Prior to the blood draw, I was shooting roughly 2K per month for the previous 10 months or so, mostly at an indoor range. I was using handloads (Berrys Plated) at the time, so I was scrounging and tumbling all of those cases. I would suspect that the tumbler would be the main source, as well as inhalation at the range. This was also around my last AFHS class with Todd. I also instruct and am generally around gunfire. I have since made adjustments in my activities and hopefully my next test will be lower. One other thing that I changed was the method of handwashing. I did not realise that hot water opened up the pores of the skin to exposure. At the time I always washed with hot water, because everyone knows hot water cleans better right?

Here is an article from the NIH stating that 20 mcg / dcl is normal.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003360.htm

Slavex
04-15-2013, 02:45 AM
have you ever had your blood tested before? if not, it's possible that your lead levels will not change even if you stop shooting.
My levels have been dropping quite nicely since we redid the indoor range at my club, and I'm curious to see how low they will go. my Dr is of the opinion that it should drop to below the concern threshold, but not much below that. My test a few years ago prompted Health Canada to step in and demand to know why it was so high. They were concerned it was work related. Once I get home this week I'll grab all the results I've got and post them so you can see the speed of reduction I've experienced.

jetfire
04-15-2013, 08:23 AM
To the OP, it sounds like you reload, correct? Do you wear gloves and a mask when you're reloading? Lots of people focus on the "shooting" as the cause of their elevated BLL, but there are frequently other aspects of being a gun owner that are responsible.

David B.
04-15-2013, 10:26 AM
I do reload and have been very conscientious about washing up, but I didn't know, until this thread, that regular soap doesn't remove lead. I will now be using D-lead products.

Rob,

I've never had my lead level checked before. So it very well could have been a little high for quite some time. I'm still not comfortable with that. It will be interesting to see your results. I've been wondering how much my BLL could go down if at all.

We don't have much if we don't have good health.

God bless,
David

jetfire
04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
I do reload and have been very conscientious about washing up, but I didn't know, until this thread, that regular soap doesn't remove lead. I will now be using D-lead products.

Rob,

I've never had my lead level checked before. So it very well could have been a little high for quite some time. I'm still not comfortable with that. It will be interesting to see your results. I've been wondering how much my BLL could go down if at all.

We don't have much if we don't have good health.

God bless,
David

Regular soap can remove lead residue, it's just not as effective as d-lead. Also, make sure when you wash up after reloading that you're using cold water. Hot opens the pores that allow lead into the system.

Al T.
04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Buddy of mine had the same issues. Switching to plated bullets seemed to cure the issue. IMHO, a lot of his exposure was using a bronze brush to clean the bore of his G22 after shooting lead bullets. Suspect that was tossing very small particles of lead around.

ToddG
04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
I keep a half dozen of these in my range bag:

I get mine from here (http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=ET-WT-101).

ACP230
04-17-2013, 08:25 AM
The same company that makes D-Wipes makes a lead removal soap.
I use that after reloading.

I've read that it's vaporized lead stypnate from primers is a main contributor to elevated lead levels.
So, changing to no-lead primers may be a good idea. I saw ads for them a few years ago and think they are still on the market.

xhaiimatthew
04-17-2013, 02:46 PM
But if you want more info regarding on osha you may visit or look on osha 10 hour training tx (http://www.healthsafetyguru.com). Thanks for this forum site for accepting me.

Slavex
04-19-2013, 01:29 AM
we installed DLead soap at the range in our soap dispensers. Next to improving the ventilation on the indoor I think it's the best thing we could have done. I use it at home as well, after cleaning guns or reloading.
Trying to find all my tests so I can post them, but I can't find the latest one. Once I do, I'll post them.

Sal Picante
04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
I can't stress enough the use of nitrile gloves while reloading and also cleaning...

Rick Finsta
04-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Unless the understanding of lead toxicology has changed since I earned my biochemistry degree (certainly possible!), dermal uptake and ingestion of elemental lead are basically non-issues in adults. I almost can't imagine there is a such thing as a Ca, Fe, or Zn deficiency here in WI (hard water, not a cheese joke). :p

Dollars to donuts wearing a respirator while shooting would do more than washing your hand with special wipes, but take whatever precautions you think prudent for sure. Oh, and don't pick your nose while you're reloading.

ToddG
04-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Oh, and don't pick your nose while you're reloading.

Whew! One more reason to be glad I don't reload...

JConn
04-30-2013, 08:49 PM
I can't stress enough the use of nitrile gloves while reloading and also cleaning...

Not just for lead, the chemicals in solvents are not so good for you and are easily absorbed.

peterb
05-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Yup. Disposable nitrile gloves are right up there with foam earplugs as useful things to buy in bulk and have readily available. I got in the habit at a previous job -- every lab had dispensers for gloves, ear, and eye protection right by the door. There's no reason for covering your hands with messy and/or potentially toxic goop if you've got gloves.

It's also good to have them available for emergency medical use.

If you'll be wearing them for a long time, I've found that the Glovemate liners cut down on the clammy feeling without reducing dexterity.
http://www.buyemp.com/product/harbinger-glovemate-hand-liners

Sal Picante
05-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Not just for lead, the chemicals in solvents are not so good for you and are easily absorbed.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner...

Sunday
07-17-2013, 07:51 PM
There also may be lead in the water you drink,lead pipes or solder?

Nephrology
07-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I had my serum Pb tested and I am within normal range. Phew.

JCN
09-24-2023, 05:33 AM
Level came back at 19 (previously 5-6).

I figured it would be high from the PCC and rimfire shooting.

Might have to change a couple things in the routine.

Borderland
09-24-2023, 11:03 AM
I had some pretty high lead and mercury levels about 15 years ago. I believe the lead level was around 18. I did a chelating routine for a few months and it was gone.

The lead poisoning came from loading lead shot without gloves or a mask and possibly shooting trap. I don't use any lead anymore unless it's coated. I always shoot outdoors. Our range tested the air in a building they use for 22 pistol competition. High levels were discovered. They spent a truck load of money to install a new venting system.

Chomps
09-24-2023, 06:16 PM
i’m glad I ran across this thread,… I had my lead levels tested about a year into my getting into shooting. It was 1.2
2 years later I tested again and it’s more than doubled. I had been shooting for about a year when I got it taken the first time. The only thing different is that I have since acquired some steel targets, and since I don’t have property that I can shoot on, I have to load them in my car take them out to the state game area set them up shoot them load them back into my car. They’re covered in fragments of bullet, so I assume that that’s where I got the extra lead exposure.

How often do you recommend getting tested? Especially if you notice that levels are climbing. I won’t say I’m obsessive about it, but I do have di lead soap, and the lead cleansing wipes, which I use after the rain session on my hands, forearms and face. I don’t change my shoes. I don’t change my clothes when I go home I didn’t think there would be that much lead exposure from off-gassing primers etc. Was I wrong?

I’ve asked the RSO’s’s at the range about their testing. And even though they work there, and spend days in in the lanes were shooters. None of them mention their lead levels rising dangerously high. I have to admit I was a little shocked to hear some of you guys talking about levels of size 9 and 18 and what not, especially when the reportable level is a five.

am I just being a nervous Nellie,… Or is this something I should pay more attention to?

JCN
09-27-2023, 05:52 AM
i’m glad I ran across this thread,… I had my lead levels tested about a year into my getting into shooting. It was 1.2
2 years later I tested again and it’s more than doubled. I had been shooting for about a year when I got it taken the first time. The only thing different is that I have since acquired some steel targets, and since I don’t have property that I can shoot on, I have to load them in my car take them out to the state game area set them up shoot them load them back into my car. They’re covered in fragments of bullet, so I assume that that’s where I got the extra lead exposure.

How often do you recommend getting tested? Especially if you notice that levels are climbing. I won’t say I’m obsessive about it, but I do have di lead soap, and the lead cleansing wipes, which I use after the rain session on my hands, forearms and face. I don’t change my shoes. I don’t change my clothes when I go home I didn’t think there would be that much lead exposure from off-gassing primers etc. Was I wrong?

I’ve asked the RSO’s’s at the range about their testing. And even though they work there, and spend days in in the lanes were shooters. None of them mention their lead levels rising dangerously high. I have to admit I was a little shocked to hear some of you guys talking about levels of size 9 and 18 and what not, especially when the reportable level is a five.

am I just being a nervous Nellie,… Or is this something I should pay more attention to?

After indoor ranges, I usually wipe the bottoms of my shoes to prevent tracking in the garage and car.

Some historical perspective, for those of us GenX and older, we were born and lived with higher lead levels in our childhood.

Even further back and the levels were much higher. Leaded gasoline and paint.

For context, this is data from China....

More lead in the system probably isn't good. But that's the context.

I'm going to try and implement more abatement procedures and shoot less leaded primers. I normally shoot Syntech (leadless primers and fully jacketed) but since starting PCC and Steel Challenge, I have been more lax about ammunition choices.

I also joined an indoor range and have shot there a lot in the past year. The ventilation is pretty good and it's not crowded which is a bonus.

But for shits and grins, I ordered this and will experiment with adding more "wind" to my stall with a battery powered fan....

I figure that if outdoor shooting historically has less exposure, more indoor breeze would be a good thing.

Realistically speaking, if I get down to a static 5-10 that's probably good enough for the amount I shoot and the enjoyment of the sports.

Chomps
09-27-2023, 01:51 PM
After indoor ranges, I usually wipe the bottoms of my shoes to prevent tracking in the garage and car.

Some historical perspective, for those of us GenX and older, we were born and lived with higher lead levels in our childhood.

Even further back and the levels were much higher. Leaded gasoline and paint.

For context, this is data from China....

More lead in the system probably isn't good. But that's the context.

I'm going to try and implement more abatement procedures and shoot less leaded primers. I normally shoot Syntech (leadless primers and fully jacketed) but since starting PCC and Steel Challenge, I have been more lax about ammunition choices.

I also joined an indoor range and have shot there a lot in the past year. The ventilation is pretty good and it's not crowded which is a bonus.

But for shits and grins, I ordered this and will experiment with adding more "wind" to my stall with a battery powered fan....

I figure that if outdoor shooting historically has less exposure, more indoor breeze would be a good thing.

Realistically speaking, if I get down to a static 5-10 that's probably good enough for the amount I shoot and the enjoyment of the sports.

Thanks for posting that chart. Im one of those “Boomer/GenX cusp kids. I remember leaded gas and leaded paint lead solder, etc.. although I thought all of that lead banning had happened earlier. like late 60s early 70s or something. I didn’t realize I was already a obnoxious driving teenager by the time they got rid of leaded gas. 🤣

That said, I’m surprised my lifetime level of lead was only at 1.2 when I first got tested.

at any rate, I’m gonna have to take a few more precautions, I think. I shoot mostly at an indoor range, I assume all the ammo I buy has lead in the primer,…. And I usually shoot 200 to 300 rounds of the pop confined in that little stall. So maybe along with that, and being more careful about handling my steel targets after shooting them, I can do something about reducing my exposure.

TGS
09-27-2023, 02:02 PM

Modern ventilation systems for ranges are generally designed to suck the air downrange from the shooting positions, so it'd be counter-productive to sit a fan on the bench in front of you, blowing air back at you.

JCN
09-27-2023, 03:22 PM
Modern ventilation systems for ranges are generally designed to suck the air downrange from the shooting positions, so it'd be counter-productive to sit a fan on the bench in front of you, blowing air back at you.

Lol, I’m not that silly. The fan goes behind me (hence the stand). Augmented, directed flow.

JCN
10-03-2023, 05:57 PM

Tried it like this when bench resting and it significantly cut down on the odor and smoke of rimfire coming back at me.

medmo
10-03-2023, 08:26 PM
Tried it like this when bench resting and it significantly cut down on the odor and smoke of rimfire coming back at me.

Did you have to make any windage adjustments? :)

Rassenkrieg
10-05-2023, 03:11 AM
So here's the deal with lead, arsenic, mercury, cadmium, etc. These toxic heavy metals are toxic mostly due to their inappropriate binding, their destructive charge or frequency, their acting as fuel for viruses, and how they settle deep into organs and cause them to malfunction. some of the sickest people with lead or mercury poisoning will show absolutely no traces of toxic heavy metals in a blood, urine or hair test, because the metals are deeply bound inside organs like the liver, brain, kidneys, gut wall, etc. I believe Hal Huggins referred to it as "retention toxicity". How do you tell then how toxic you are with metals? Right now, only with symptoms or a theoretical biopsy, which might not even work if metals have collected in an area untested (i.e. the bottom of the liver has lead deposits, but the top portion was removed for tested) and clearly that doesn't work well for living subjects, anyway.

I'm not going to go on and on as most of the methods of exposure were already covered. I personally use heavy duty nitrile gloves when I load magazines and shoot, and I avoid any time of high fat meals prior to shooting. Also, I only use ballistol to clean my guns and I avoid the really harsh solvents, and I wear gloves while I clean also. I don't reload so I can't really speak to that. Fans are a great idea too. I avoid the hell out of indoor ranges, I don't care what kind of hepa setup they have.

To get metals out, first off, low fat diet. Even if it's for the first half of the day. Drink a lot of clean water, tap water. Using a shower head water filter is also a good idea, even if it reduces metals, its better than nothing. also avoid caffeine, spiking your adrenaline makes it really difficult to move metals out as you're basically filling your blood with corrosive acid if you're pounding coffee or energy drinks all day.

Some supplements that are really proven as well are as follows:

(please go to pubmed and do your own research and talk with your doctor first before you do anything, bring your doctor research, and look into some testing by Mosaic Diagnostics and quicksilver scientific for metals, I have no idea what health conditions you might have or medications you might be on, and some of the supplements below might be dangerous or bad for you given a specific circumstances)

Buffered, pH neutral vitamin C pulls lead out (check out Dr Russel Jaffe MD PHD's lecture with IAOMT on that)
N-Acetyl Cysteine
reduced Glutathione
EDTA works REALLY WELL for lead, I believe Quicksilver scientific makes a liposomal version
Spirulina
Juicing or eating a lot of the herb cilantro (adding it to a fat free smoothie)
Barely Grass Juice Powder
Pectasol is also phenomenal for lead removal from the body, though it's expensive
IMD or "intestinal metals detox" is a great binder of metals in the gut to prevent reabsorption
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Selenium Cruciferate is an important co-factor as long with zinc picolinate, iodine and magnesium glycinate.
Any type of liver supplement like phosphatidyl choline, taurine, glutamine, to keep the liver moving so it doesn't become sluggish and stagnant.

and you could go the old fashioned route of having your doctor do DMSA or DMPS, which I don't think are particularly great from the research I've seen, for chronic lead poisoning.

I'm personally not a fan of chlorella, as I've seen people get really sick from bacterial related poisoning from it, but if you're hell bent on using it, I believe BioPure makes the best.

I hope this is at least a start, and again, talk to your doctor before you do anything. Detoxing can be really rough, and its even rougher if you do it wrong. And I hope you feel better.

as a side note, I had extremely bad mercury poisoning a few years ago (like I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed or walk) and spent the last 7 years recovering from it and researching more than you can imagine in the realm of toxic heavy metals and their removal from the body.

jstone
10-07-2023, 03:07 PM
anyone experiencing above normal levels of heavy metals in your blood need to be careful of chelation therapy. There was a guy who had high levels of heavy metals, but im drawing a blank on which it was. I will try to find his story and post it. the chelation caused the heavy metals that were circulating to elevate by pulling it from other tissues, and allowed it to pass through the blood brain barrier. Once the heavy metals passed into his brain his quality of life dropped drastically, and eventually he killed himself. He documented his entire battle on his website which has since been taken down but exists on the way back machine. I'm almost positive it was lead poisoning, but it has been a while.

one of his biggest messages was to allow the body to naturally eliminate it and stop the activity causing the elevation. He couldn't directly link his extreme drop in quality of life to the chelation therapy, but spent the end of his time studying what the cause was. It appeared the chelation therapy was the cause. I will try to dig up the information and post links to it all. Just be careful if you have any sort of elevated heavy metal, it can cause a slow horrible death. I remember watching this guy go from being vibrant and happy to miserable and endless suffering.