PDA

View Full Version : Walther PK 380

jlw
04-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Anyone with experience with this pistol?

Yesterday, a lady brought one to one of our firearms safety classes. I had neve seen one. The pistol is a very nice size and weight, and when I ran it, it hit where I aimed it. The controls are a bit odd in that there is no slide stop lever, but it will lock open on an empty mag. It has a manual safety that appears to be a hammer block. The trigger will fall if the trigger is pulled with the safety engaged; so, no cocked-n-locked; however, to de-cock the hammer it must be manually lowered.

A retied instructor from the academy was on the range with us, and he had issues with the pistol not firing as did the lady. It fired for me every time I tried it. I was not able to ascertain the source of their issues.

At any rate, while I like the size/weight/recoil of this pistol for use as a lady's gun, the manual of arms is just enough different that I am hesitant to recommend it.

WDW
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Long story short, it's more or less a major POS. The PPS in 9mm is infinitely better & given that the PPS is smaller, more reliable, & available in better/cheaper chamberings, the PK380 should not really even be a consideration. It came about as a result of the .380 craze a few years back & is basically a slightly larger iteration of the P22 which, as it turns out, is also a major POS.

Bigguy
04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
I got one for my wife because after all of the guns we looked at, it was the only one she could rack and shoot with her severe arthritis. Only put about 300 rounds thorough it so far. No problems so far.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-15-2013, 05:31 PM
My experience with these is that they're a pile of shit. I've seen several have feeding and extraction issues, the manual of arms is also completely retarded. It's a real blemish on Walters reputation, along with the P22. The PPS shoots a more powerful round, with less recoil in a much better built platform.