PDA

View Full Version : HighNoon Hideaway

JodyH
04-22-2011, 08:36 PM
I recently picked up a HighNoon Hideaway holster (https://amzn.to/2WvOKwL) for AIWB carry of my H&K P2000Sk.
I chose the horsehide with belt clip attachment.
Normally I'm not a clip fan but HighNoon has the best design I've ever used and I trust it completely. It's a pronounced "C" design that will not come off your belt. I think it's as strong or stronger than snap loops.
The holster rides well and tucks the gun in perfect.
It's cut for a full grip and carries the butt of the gun high enough that you can get a grip while it's still in the holster.
With short fat guns like the Sk and the Glock 26 holster rotation can be a problem but the wide steel clip keeps it from rotating on the belt.
I've even carried the Sk with a 13 round magazine which makes it butt heavy and exacerbates rotation and it still carried perfectly.
I've been using it daily for the past 3 weeks and it's become my "go to" carry holster.
Initial break-in with the horsehide took a few days (minor skin irritation) but it carries great with no irritation now and I carry with it directly against my skin.
I shot our "CCW" match last weekend and had zero problems with fast access and easy re-holstering. The temps were in the upper 90's and I was sweating like a pig for 6 hours but the horsehide did a great job of repelling the sweat.
My only modification was to Lock-Tite the tension screw and adjust the tension to my liking.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMAG0010.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMAG0011.jpg

NickA
04-22-2011, 10:39 PM
looks like a good option at a reasonable price. I've got a cheapie Don Hume that's similar, the clip is great on it but the design doesn't tuck the grip very well.

I've even carried the Sk with a 13 round magazine which makes it butt heavy and exacerbates rotation and it still carried perfectly.
so you think it would work OK with larger guns?

on a side note you gotta quit posting pictures of that gun. I'd talked myself out of anything subcompact but....daaaamn that thing calls to me.

ubervic
04-23-2011, 07:23 AM
I recently picked up a HighNoon Hideaway holster for AIWB carry of my H&K P2000Sk.
...temps were in the upper 90's and I was sweating like a pig for 6 hours but the horsehide did a great job of repelling the sweat.

Thanks for sharing this great review & the pics. Very informative!

I've been carrying my P2000sk in a Crossbreed Supertuck for months---very comfortable and adequately concealing, but not very 'fast' on the draw from under a shirt with all the required clearing, sweeping and reaching. I've been trying to figure out the best & simplest means of carrying AIWB and this HighNoon model sounds very appealing---especially since it won't take a year to source it. :rolleyes:

I know that HighNoon offers versions with sweat guards and that most find them way too big. With no sweat/shirt guard on this model, does the 'serrated' slide rub or gripe your gut? Also, does the direct exposure to skin & sweat promote slide corrosion?

One more question: what size belt is the clip designed to fit best?

JodyH
04-23-2011, 08:11 AM
The slide serrations don't bother me.
Initially the rough side out horsehide "fuzzies" irritated me but after a few days they slicked down and I've had no problems since.
I'm sure that enough sweating on the exposed slide and no maintenance would eventually cause some problems, but I wipe the sweat ring off with a silicon cleaning cloth every few days.
I carry with a 1.5" wide, double thick sharkskin gun belt and the clip works perfect. I wouldn't trust it with a 1.25" belt and you'd probably have to thread a 1.75" belt through.

JodyH
04-23-2011, 08:13 AM
so you think it would work OK with larger guns?

I think it would work fine for a P2000 sized gun but I don't think it would be optimal for a P30's grip length.

Irelander
06-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Lifting this thread from the ashes.

I just received a Highnoon Hideaway for my P2000SK. I was skeptical about the simplicity of this holster but I am really enjoying it. The ride height is perfect and the minimalist nature of the holster makes a nice slim package. I got the cowhide as I was not keen on paying ~$100 more for horsehide.

I'd post a pic but it looks just like JodyH's picture above just a little newer.