PDA

View Full Version : Changing point of impact with sights

part-time shooter
04-22-2011, 07:28 PM
When swapping out sights how do you go about changing the point of impact? I see numerous different sight heights for the rear and various heights and widths for the front for fixed sights from all of the various teir 1 vendors but have no exact idea of which ones I'd need to pair to get what I want.

Is there a sight that is made to give point of aim point of impact for the M&P? U groove or square? The new Trijicon HDs look nice but looks like they are running 4 weeks for delivery and certainly are not cheap.

A higher front sight will lower the point of impact unless it's paired with a taller rear sight, but what is the factory height of the M&P sights? I can find replacements for them but not their size. It looks like the higher sights are for the L series so height may not even be an option.

I'm likely over thinking my options and what I'm trying to do. Does anyone know of a post on M4C or another forum discussing this?

Thanks.

JHC
04-22-2011, 07:47 PM
When I figured out that Warren's front sights come in .215 or .245 inch heights to adjust poi, but decided I wanted to try out this Hackathorn front sight from Ameriglo, their product catalog gave the heights. I chose the .220 tall as it's as close as they get to Warren's .215 and I've paired it with a Warren Sevigny Carry rear.
No real mystery I don't think. I had an easy problem since I've already got a bunch of Warren sets on guns and prefer them.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/front-sights

My situation is matching up for Glocks but Ameriglo has a lot of M&P sights too.

JohnN
04-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Try Speed Shooters Specialties they probably have the largest selection of front sights for the M&P series as you will find.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/search.php?submit=submit&categories=Smith+%26+Wesson+M%26P+9%2F40%2F357&subcategories=Front+Sights

David Armstrong
04-24-2011, 11:49 AM
When swapping out sights how do you go about changing the point of impact? I see numerous different sight heights for the rear and various heights and widths for the front for fixed sights from all of the various teir 1 vendors but have no exact idea of which ones I'd need to pair to get what I want.

Is there a sight that is made to give point of aim point of impact for the M&P? U groove or square? The new Trijicon HDs look nice but looks like they are running 4 weeks for delivery and certainly are not cheap.

A higher front sight will lower the point of impact unless it's paired with a taller rear sight, but what is the factory height of the M&P sights? I can find replacements for them but not their size. It looks like the higher sights are for the L series so height may not even be an option.

I'm likely over thinking my options and what I'm trying to do. Does anyone know of a post on M4C or another forum discussing this?
Thanks.
FWIW, I've consistently had good luck with questions like this by calling Brownell's. They have a very knowledgable group of 'smiths on staff that can usually find out this kind of info.

part-time shooter
04-24-2011, 04:24 PM
FWIW, I've consistently had good luck with questions like this by calling Brownell's. They have a very knowledgable group of 'smiths on staff that can usually find out this kind of info.

That's a very good idea, it never actually occured to me.