PDA

View Full Version : Striker fired .45 ACP

Frank R
04-12-2013, 12:56 AM
I am going to buy a striker fired, full size .45 ACP and would appreciate recommendations and opinions.

First hand experience only please.

No Glocks.

Thank you.

KeeFus
04-12-2013, 01:27 AM
M&P 45. Its our duty weapon and is a solid weapon platform. Parts are easy to come by and are easily replaced.

If I may ask, Why no Glocks?

GJM
04-12-2013, 06:13 AM
HK45 is the gold standard.

JAD
04-12-2013, 06:29 AM

But fortunately not striker fired.

GJM
04-12-2013, 06:33 AM
But fortunately not striker fired.

My bad -- that is what happens when you try to type and head over to class at Rogers all at the same time!

Maybe someone can change the thread to polymer 45? :)

jetfire
04-12-2013, 08:02 AM
I to am curious as to why "no Glocks" since the Glock 21 Gen4 is excellent. But if no Glocks is your goal, then it's an M&P 45 or nothing.

rsa-otc
04-12-2013, 08:03 AM
My M&P 45 has been drop dead dependable & accurate through 6000 plus rounds; any issues I've had with the gun can be directly associated with my reloads. Holsters and assessories are plentiful. My only wish would be if it came with 13 round mags standard.

WDW
04-12-2013, 08:11 AM

The HK45 is striker fired.....The hammer strikes the firing pin which strikes the primer which fired the gun. In fact their are 2 strikes involved. It's a double striker fired gun.

Guinnessman
04-12-2013, 10:16 AM
I recently purchased a M&P 45 full size, and so far I am impressed. It is a FDE model and I could not pass it up. While I prefer Glocks, the M&P has me intrigued. It has great ergonomics, accuracy, and value. My only complaint is the heavy trigger pull that will be fixed soon with an Apex Kit. It has a "Born on" date of October. Rent one if you can. My brother shot my M&P 45 and immediately fell in love with the platform. He is buying one soon. Hopefully DocGKR stops by to tell you more.

JMS
04-12-2013, 11:12 AM
But if no Glocks is your goal, then it's an M&P 45 or nothing.

That pretty well sums it up. Mine was a M&P45mid that soaked up 9000 rounds with nary a hiccup. Literally the ONLY reason I sold it off was because I've been going to all 9mm handguns.

Their triggers, out of the box, can be nasty. Gritty, super-hard break. Todd shot mine, which had 2k+ rounds through it at the time, and unabashedly stated "That's the WORST M&P trigger I've ever felt...!" No Apex at the time, so other steps were taken. I shot other folks' out-of-box triggers, and they were all like my own, or very near. Point being, I'd not waste time trying to "work in" the trigger with rounds, just get thee to an Apex kit immediately, and have done with it.

Once I had the trigger dealt with, some Warrens put on it, and stippled it....good lord, did I learn a lot and have some great fun with that gun.

ToddG
04-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Todd shot mine, which had 2k+ rounds through it at the time, and unabashedly stated "That's the WORST M&P trigger I've ever felt...!"

I still have nightmares where I'm under attack, and when I go to draw my gun I pull out JMS's M&P45 "Sandpaper Trigger Edition" instead. :eek:

John Ralston
04-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Personally, I would have to agree with the OP about "No Glocks". Unless you have ginormous gorilla hands, the Glock feels like grabbing a 2x4. The M&P on the other hand, fits quite nicely, even for smallish hands.

jetfire
04-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Personally, I would have to agree with the OP about "No Glocks". Unless you have ginormous gorilla hands, the Glock feels like grabbing a 2x4. The M&P on the other hand, fits quite nicely, even for smallish hands.

The Glock 21 Gen4 is actually quite nice.

I also have large hands.

ST911
04-12-2013, 11:57 AM
M&P 45, if you stay striker-fired and won't go Glock.

The Glock is a large pistol, even for my large hands. They do run well though, mine and many more seen on the line.

JonInWA
04-12-2013, 01:11 PM
While your hands displace differently on the large-frame Glock G21, in my experience it's simply a matter of familiarization as opposed to being an operational issue. I have medium-sized hands, and have no problems with my "big butt" Gen 3 G21. The only additions I've made to mine are a segment of a mountain bike inner tube to reduce any potential slipperiness issues, a Glock extended slide release, a set of Glock steel sights, a Glock "dot"/#5 connector, and the upgraded Glock triggerbar. It's an excellent gun, and after thousands of rounds of use over the years, I can only recall one issue-with a vastly oversized Winchester Value-Pack cartridge, hardly the gun's fault, or attributable to it.

I'm also curious as to why the original poster has specifically eliminated Glock-not that there aren't other options as discussed available, just curious.

Best, Jon

JMS
04-12-2013, 01:23 PM
M&P45 "Sandpaper Trigger Edition" instead. :eek:

"Cobblestone Street Trigger Edition."

"District of Columbia Pothole Trigger Edition."

I was set up to get my widdle feewins hurt, and hear you tell me that the problem was all "operator headspacing" issue on my part. Imagine my relief....

Well, guess you don't have to imagine it, since you were, like, all THERE and stuff.... :p

DocGKR
04-12-2013, 02:33 PM
The M&P45 w/ambi-safety I carried for all of 2011 was a superb pistol--no malfunctions and nearly as accurate as my previous custom 1911's costing 5 times a much. If I wasn't carrying a 9 mm these days, I would definitely still be using the M&P45. I sold off almost all my 1911's, but kept the M&P45's...

Frank R
04-12-2013, 04:18 PM
In regards to the M&P, which Model do you recommend for HD and recreational shooting. Not for carry.

Also, how are the new triggers and do most consider the APEX still necessary for a non-competitive shooter.

DocGKR
04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
M&P9 w/ambi safety. Apex is not needed. Just get the pistol and shoot it. After 1000 rounds or so, see how you like the trigger.

KeeFus
04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
In regards to the M&P, which Model do you recommend for HD and recreational shooting. Not for carry.

I'd go with either the Mid size or the full size. Both are easily concealable should you choose in the future to carry it away from home.

Also, how are the new triggers and do most consider the APEX still necessary for a non-competitive shooter.

I have never thought that any of my M&P's (I have 3) needed an upgraded Apex anything. I hear the new factory triggers are very Apex-like though.

gregorya57
04-13-2013, 01:01 AM
I have to agree with the OP: I don't like Glocks, either. Can't give you a reason, really. I just don't. I'm looking for a .40 or .45 (I don't care for 9mm's, either) for EDC to replace my 2 1/2 " 686+, and the M&P is looking very attractive, along with the Sig 2022.

DanH
04-13-2013, 01:41 AM
The banner add mentions something called a SR45 which I would assume is from Ruger but I don't know anything about it. The SR9 seems to be an decent gun but I haven't yet heard it mentioned as being up to the standard set by Glock or S&W. Probably a little too soon to tell about the SR45.

Sparks2112
04-13-2013, 03:15 PM
The banner add mentions something called a SR45 which I would assume is from Ruger but I don't know anything about it. The SR9 seems to be an decent gun but I haven't yet heard it mentioned as being up to the standard set by Glock or S&W. Probably a little too soon to tell about the SR45.

Other than price point I can't think of a single reason I'd pick a ruger over a comparable offering from Glock, SW, Sig, or H&K.

Frank R
04-13-2013, 03:42 PM
M&P9 w/ambi safety. Apex is not needed. Just get the pistol and shoot it. After 1000 rounds or so, see how you like the trigger.

Is this a misprint Doc? We are talking about a 45.

Why the ambi safety?

JDB
04-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Is this a misprint Doc? We are talking about a 45.

Why the ambi safety?

Pretty sure that's not a misprint.

Doc's views on calibers and manual safeties are pretty well established: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

DocGKR
04-13-2013, 06:13 PM
No misprint.

I specifically answered the question asked:

"In regards to the M&P, which Model do you recommend for HD and recreational shooting. Not for carry."

It does not say M&P45...

As noted, I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing--I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc... Likewise, I've seen quite a few Glocks fire with no finger on the trigger--typically when a piece of gear snags the trigger (thumb break on holster, jacket tab, jacket zipper, corner of magazine in chest rig, radio antenna, flash bang spoon, flash light, etc...). As a result, I prefer to have a manual safety to preclude such occurrences as much as possible--much like Darwin, Murphy is a harsh...

jetfire
04-13-2013, 06:45 PM

General rule of thumb for Rugers: if it's primarily made out of metal, it's probably decent-to-rad. If it's made out of polymer, skip it and buy an M&P/Glock whatever. With an exception for the LCP, which is really good at being a pocket gun.

DanH
04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Other than price point I can't think of a single reason I'd pick a ruger over a comparable offering from Glock, SW, Sig, or H&K.

this definitely agrees with what I have been hearing, but let's be honest, price is a big consideration for most people.

Sparks2112
04-13-2013, 07:16 PM
this definitely agrees with what I have been hearing, but let's be honest, price is a big consideration for most people.

$80 price difference between a ruger sr9 and m&p 9. $90 for a glock 17 gen3. At least in my AO. I can do without Starbucks for a couple of weeks personally.

LOKNLOD
04-13-2013, 07:33 PM
$80 price difference between a ruger sr9 and m&p 9. $90 for a glock 17 gen3. At least in my AO. I can do without Starbucks for a couple of weeks personally.

I don't think the majority of firearms purchases are planned events. Seems like it's a "I have $X in my pocket (or "I am $X from my credit limit"), what can I get for that right now?" type purchase.

Sparks2112
04-13-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't think the majority of firearms purchases are planned events. Seems like it's a "I have $X in my pocket (or "I am $X from my credit limit"), what can I get for that right now?" type purchase.

Depends on the guy behind the counter. I tell people to wait a couple weeks all the time, or explain why one gun is a poor choice over another. Funny how happy you can make people just being straight with them, though it doesn't always make my boss happy.

jlw
04-13-2013, 09:31 PM
I am very pleased with the M&P45s at my disposal, and I think the M&P45 Midsize (use M&P Compact holsters) is an ideal size for a carry gun.

I went with the M&P45 for IDPA CDP because the Glock 21 grip is just too big for me. If I were to shoot it exclusively I could adjust to it, but it is just big enough to feel unnatural for me. I am NOT a 1911 guy; so, I gave the M&P45 a try and liked it very much. After shooting mine, our SRT guys are very interested in ditching their Kimber TLE/RL IIs for the M&P45.

As for the SR45, I am an intrigued by it and would very much like to give one a try.

Frank R
04-13-2013, 11:46 PM
No misprint.

I specifically answered the question asked:

It does not say M&P45...

As noted, I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing--I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc... Likewise, I've seen quite a few Glocks fire with no finger on the trigger--typically when a piece of gear snags the trigger (thumb break on holster, jacket tab, jacket zipper, corner of magazine in chest rig, radio antenna, flash bang spoon, flash light, etc...). As a result, I prefer to have a manual safety to preclude such occurrences as much as possible--much like Darwin, Murphy is a harsh...

The thread is about a .45 ACP Doc. Not a 9mm.

I appreciate your opinion on the merits of a safety but I prefer not to have one, especially on an HD only pistol. Thanks anyway.

Frank R
04-13-2013, 11:53 PM
It appears this thread has run its course.

Thanks to all who've responded with the exception of the Glock fan-boys who just couldn't contain themselves about mentioning Glock.

Hey, I did say no Glocks. :)

JConn
04-14-2013, 08:49 AM
It appears this thread has run its course.

Thanks to all who've responded with the exception of the Glock fan-boys who just couldn't contain themselves about mentioning Glock.

Hey, I did say no Glocks. :)

I would say the only reason people mentioned glock is because they wanted to ensure you had carefully thought out excluding one of the best 45 pistols on the market. You'll find very little "fanboism" here, just people who have come to the conclusion that their pistol meets their needs from a performance and reliability perspective. Also when someone like doc responds as he did, it's for a reason. He made the switch from 45 to 9 for a few reasons which I'm sure he could outline if you are interested.

Frank R
04-14-2013, 11:02 AM
I would say the only reason people mentioned glock is because they wanted to ensure you had carefully thought out excluding one of the best 45 pistols on the market. You'll find very little "fanboism" here, just people who have come to the conclusion that their pistol meets their needs from a performance and reliability perspective. Also when someone like doc responds as he did, it's for a reason. He made the switch from 45 to 9 for a few reasons which I'm sure he could outline if you are interested.

Are you, or do you consider yourself to be, the official spokesman for this forum? I think not.

If you or anyone else wants to discuss Glocks, start your own thread. This is my thread and I said from the beginning NO GLOCKS.

Doc doesn't need you to explain to me why he responded as he did and his reasoning for switching from .45 to 9mm has nothing to do with this thread.

I've been shooting and handling guns for sixty one years and I'm also a combat veteran. I owned my first Glock before most people ever heard of them and have owned a few more since so I don't need an education on them.

Once again, my thanks to those who responded to what I asked for.

ToddG
04-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Are you, or do you consider yourself to be, the official spokesman for this forum? I think not.

Then allow me to clarify: participants on the forum are welcome to provide cogent sincere opinions and information in threads even if it doesn't comply strictly with the OP's original question. Given the breadth and depth of knowledge and experience encompassed by our collective membership it isn't surprising to see people ask "Why no Glock?" or "Why only .45?" in a thread like this.

Please leave moderation of the forum to the Staff. If you feel like a thread you started has gone off the rails and you're bothered by it, you may send a PM to any Staff member and he will take appropriate action.

Thank you.

Sparks2112
04-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I've been shooting and handling guns for sixty one years and I'm also a combat veteran.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here! :)

Frank R
04-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here! :)

Thanks Sparks.

JConn
04-14-2013, 03:50 PM

If you or anyone else wants to discuss Glocks, start your own thread. This is my thread and I said from the beginning NO GLOCKS.

Doc doesn't need you to explain to me why he responded as he did and his reasoning for switching from .45 to 9mm has nothing to do with this thread.

I've been shooting and handling guns for sixty one years and I'm also a combat veteran. I owned my first Glock before most people ever heard of them and have owned a few more since so I don't need an education on them.

Just wanted to let you know that I had no intention of being rude and I am certainly not a forum spokesman. I was just trying to shed some light on people's posts. I hope you are able to find the info you need. Also FWIW m&p 45 seems like the only real choice for a striker fired 45 that's not a glock. I have not shot one though so it might not be worth much.

JConn
04-14-2013, 04:17 PM
The man made me cut off my hair tom. There is however one man, one man with the hair and the courage to make your dream come true. Some say he can make guns more reliable, just by turning them sideways, and that his hair has the power to make hotel bar ladies weak in the knees.

ST911
04-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Awesome hair is a requirement.

Must it be cranial?