PDA

View Full Version : Help Picking First Suppressed SBR Upper

Default.mp3
04-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm finally getting into the NFA game (already paid the lawyer to get the trust done and have a lower on order), and was trying to figure out what upper I should be getting. I am a cake eating civilian, so the rifle will be used primarily for home defense, training, and recreational shooting.

I'm trying to get a suppressed SBR, and have been gravitating toward either a PWS MK112 Mod1 or else a 12.5" Noveske with a Switchblock. While 10.5" systems look quite sexy, all my reading suggests that 11.5" systems offer quite a bit more reliability, and 12.5" even more so. I'm just looking to keep the overall barrel and suppressor length around or under 16", so the 12.5" is fine to me.

I'm looking specifically into having an adjustable gas block because I'm interested in being able to shoot a wide variety of ammo, and being able to have reliability both with and without the suppressor. Thus, the Switchblock or else the gas-adjustable PWS, rather than a traditional DI system (although, being an H&K fanboy, I also seriously pondered cutting down an MR556 and modifying it, but since that lacked an adjustable gas block, I decided not to pursue that angle; still it should give you an idea of what I'm willing to spend). I'd also like to keep the setup relatively lightweight, which is why I did not look into the LMT 12.5" piston with the adjustable gas block. Does anyone have any particularly strong feelings about either upper, or even alternative uppers, including those without an adjustable gas block? I'm hardly wedded to either choice at this point, and availability isn't a huge issue for me, as I will have plenty of time to find an upper as I wait on the NFA stamps. I'm quite sure there's plenty of stuff that I don't know I don't know, so if any of my goals are untenable, tell me straight up, and I can re-evaluate what my wants and needs.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Jay Cunningham
04-11-2013, 10:43 AM
You've got a lot of stuff going on in this post, which can be a little distracting. Let's get back to what you're really going to use the gun for:

home defense
training
recreational shooting

Let's expound a little on the above three categories.

On a separate note, I would say that some of the reliability issues you mentioned held more or less true several years ago, but I think gas port sizes and buffer weights have been hammered out pretty well. 10.3" mk18s are pretty reliable guns.

Default.mp3
04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
You've got a lot of stuff going on in this post, which can be a little distracting. Let's get back to what you're really going to use the gun for:

home defense
training
recreational shooting

Let's expound a little on the above three categories.

On a separate note, I would say that some of the reliability issues you mentioned held more or less true several years ago, but I think gas port sizes and buffer weights have been hammered out pretty well. 10.3" mk18s are pretty reliable guns.

I might be using relatively non-standard definitions there for my usages. Home defense is what's driving my wish to have a suppressed SBR; the length would be manageable, while the sound would also be cut down, thus making it somewhat closer to being hearing safe should I ever have to use it without any ear pro(though the CDI factor also pushed me toward suppressed SBRs). Training means, in this context, training courses, which means that I would probably run the gun pretty hard at times, and thus reliability is an issue. As for recreational shooting here, I don't mean 3 gun or anything, where a rifle spec'd out for defensive usage might be at a disadvantage; rather, it would just be typical training drills and such at the range, which is why I'm interested in having reliability over a large variety of ammunition of varying quality, as I currently do not reload (though I may get around to that down the line) and I would like to be able to mitigate availability fluctuations.

I hope that clarifies my intended usage of the weapon.

SGT_Calle
04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Are you set on 5.56 or given 300 Blackout a look? Just curious, I'm interested to see where this thread goes (5.56-wise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default.mp3
04-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Are you set on 5.56 or given 300 Blackout a look? Just curious, I'm interested to see where this thread goes (5.56-wise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.56 NATO only for now. 300 BLK is very interesting (I've also looked into 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel), and I may very well get into that later on, but for now, I'd like something a little more well established. However, I can certainly be persuaded to look harder at alternative calibers, if y'all feel that my intended usage would benefit if I used something other than 5.56 NATO.

Jay Cunningham
04-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I think a suppressed 10.3" Mk18 would be the way to go. That's an AR upper that's dedicated to your HD mission, but will still be able to ding steel at 200 yards with no problem.

The nice thing about the AR is that it doesn't need to remain dedicated for long.

I personally am wary of piston uppers and the like, and I think the jury's still out on 300BLK.

Carefully consider if a "double NFA" weapon is the right choice to meet your needs.

Sparks2112
04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
I'll second the whole no-piston thing. Mk18 configuration would be a good way to go. I personally went with an 11.5" KAC, for multiple reasons, but I think you can get just as good for cheaper.

Odin Bravo One
04-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I've got em all.........and the DD Mk18 is probably going to be the most readily available. It is also plenty reliable, accurate enough, and it has been in heavy use with DoD guys for several years now. I'd skip the KAC suppressor and get something a little more "modern", but the Mk18 suppressed does well.

Unless you know a dealer who has your concept of the Noveske set up in stock, or you know someone at Noveske, you are going to be standing in a long line to get your gun.

I have an LWRC PSD that runs great with the suppressor. But so do my Noveske's. And my Mk18's.

.300 BLK? Unless you are going to roll your own ammo.........I don't see how anyone can really get out and shoot it. 556 works, so while I do have a couple of .300's, I still do the majority of my shooting with 556, and the HD carbine is a double NFA suppressed SBR in 556.

Sparks2112
04-11-2013, 02:13 PM
I've got em all.........and the DD Mk18 is probably going to be the most readily available. It is also plenty reliable, accurate enough, and it has been in heavy use with DoD guys for several years now. I'd skip the KAC suppressor and get something a little more "modern", but the Mk18 suppressed does well.

Unless you know a dealer who has your concept of the Noveske set up in stock, or you know someone at Noveske, you are going to be standing in a long line to get your gun.

I have an LWRC PSD that runs great with the suppressor. But so do my Noveske's. And my Mk18's.

.300 BLK? Unless you are going to roll your own ammo.........I don't see how anyone can really get out and shoot it. 556 works, so while I do have a couple of .300's, I still do the majority of my shooting with 556, and the HD carbine is a double NFA suppressed SBR in 556.

The new KAC suppressors look EXTREMELY interesting to me, but they're unobtanium currently.

edit: I was talking about the KAC SR-15 11.5" upper just to clarify. My sentence structure was off there.

BWT
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
I'd go with an 11.5 or 12.5 SBR. Red dot of your preference. Personally I'm a fixed BUIS guy myself and a white light. The shorter the barrel the fewer the suppressor choices you have. 10" barrels will not allow for a reflexive can. Keep that in mind while purchasing an upper.

VolGrad
04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Carefully consider if a "double NFA" weapon is the right choice to meet your needs.
Expound please.

Odin Bravo One
04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
The new KAC suppressors look EXTREMELY interesting to me, but they're unobtanium currently.

edit: I was talking about the KAC SR-15 11.5" upper just to clarify. My sentence structure was off there.

That's alright.......I see I totally omitted some details myself. The KAC suppressor I was referencing in my original post was the QDSS. Not that KAC suppressors are something to stay away from..........just that particular model, IME.

Sparks2112
04-11-2013, 03:29 PM
That's alright.......I see I totally omitted some details myself. The KAC suppressor I was referencing in my original post was the QDSS. Not that KAC suppressors are something to stay away from..........just that particular model, IME.

Care to elaborate on that? I'm curious.

Odin Bravo One
04-11-2013, 03:35 PM
It is old technology, and there are much better out there. Cans that are lighter, shorter, easier on/off, more robust attachment mechanisms, better return near zero, etc. The QDSS has only evolved slightly, while other manufacturers (and KAC themselves) are pushing forward with the design features I list in the second sentence. It just happens to be the suppressor most associated with the Mk18 CQBR, as both are SOCOM program items. (Look, I failed to mention semi-important details yet again!).

Jay
04-11-2013, 03:45 PM

I cannot fully convey the depths to which this truth stings. *bitter* *very very bitter*

Sparks2112
04-11-2013, 03:46 PM
It is old technology, and there are much better out there. Cans that are lighter, shorter, easier on/off, more robust attachment mechanisms, better return near zero, etc. The QDSS has only evolved slightly, while other manufacturers (and KAC themselves) are pushing forward with the design features I list in the second sentence. It just happens to be the suppressor most associated with the Mk18 CQBR, as both are SOCOM program items. (Look, I failed to mention semi-important details yet again!).

We ordered, but haven't seen any, of their brand new 5.56 CQB suppressors, which by their numbers compared to the QDSS is half as long, weighs half as much, has better signature reduction, better flash reduction, and costs less to boot. Yay run-on sentences which I'm too tired to fix. :D

Jay Cunningham
04-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Expound please.

Sure. I think asking people to "carefully consider" their choices in life is generally sound advice.

Consider where you live geographically and the local culture. Consider what the local cops are armed with. Consider the actual layout of your dwelling. Consider wife, kids, neighbors. Consider if you have small kids, and how you would keep the gun in a state of readiness while still keeping it secure. Consider what you're proficient with.

Consider that your firearm is likely to be confiscated if you do shoot someone with it. Consider that a prosecuting attorney could make a case of you using "an assault weapon" even if it seems like a cut-and-dried "good shoot" amongst us gun people.

Odin Bravo One
04-11-2013, 07:48 PM
I cannot fully convey the depths to which this truth stings. *bitter* *very very bitter*

Thread drift.......but.......

Yeah. I understand the frustration. With this particular company, losing the Patriarch right as the panic stricken public began buying anything black/velcro set them back nearly two years at current rate of production (at that time). Of which, current production rates have changed as every company, every vendor, are experiencing shortages of parts, components, even raw materials. Can't build guns with parts you don't have. They have even had to go so far as not selling many parts/accessories, simply so they can have the parts available to build complete guns.

I think we are seeing the supply/demand train starting to catch up a bit, and barring any major craziness, we should start seeing companies like Noveske catching up with their orders, and their products will be available to mere mortals once again. Will it be tomorrow? Probably not. But it won't last forever either.

LittleLebowski
04-11-2013, 08:30 PM
We ordered, but haven't seen any, of their brand new 5.56 CQB suppressors, which by their numbers compared to the QDSS is half as long, weighs half as much, has better signature reduction, better flash reduction, and costs less to boot. Yay run-on sentences which I'm too tired to fix. :D

I can get some hands on data if you need.

Sparks2112
04-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Thread drift.......but.......

Yeah. I understand the frustration. With this particular company, losing the Patriarch right as the panic stricken public began buying anything black/velcro set them back nearly two years at current rate of production (at that time). Of which, current production rates have changed as every company, every vendor, are experiencing shortages of parts, components, even raw materials. Can't build guns with parts you don't have. They have even had to go so far as not selling many parts/accessories, simply so they can have the parts available to build complete guns.

I think we are seeing the supply/demand train starting to catch up a bit, and barring any major craziness, we should start seeing companies like Noveske catching up with their orders, and their products will be available to mere mortals once again. Will it be tomorrow? Probably not. But it won't last forever either.

I wish I had bought the 14.5" NSR we had in right before all the stupid. :-/