PDA

View Full Version : Business Casual Attire - Knife Carry

Cool Breeze
04-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Hey all, I was wondering what you all thought the best way to carry a knife is when you are wearing business casual attire. To me that is tucked in shirt and blazer. That is my normal everyday dress. I relocated from the great state of Virginia (where I carried a gun everyday) to New York City. Until I figure out how to get a pistol license in NYC, I've been relegated to knife carry. What do you think the fastest deployment/best way to carry a knife is? Here is what I do now and some additional thoughts...

Currently, I carry a Spyderco Stretch in my right pocket. I do not clip it for 2 reasons. 1) is that I think it looks unprofessional and 2) is that, from my understanding, even a clip showing means open carry and possible confiscation/charges. So when I'm walking home or feel like I'm in a weird situation, I put my hand on my knife the way I'm going to deploy it (thumb on deployment hole, etc) and all I have to do is take my hand out of my pocket (knife in hand already) and flick it open. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it.

I was thinking getting a Spyderco Endura with a Wave feature. I was also thinking about some sort of fixed blade option that I could easily attach/detach to my belt and cover with my blazer when on public transportation/walking home/etc. I was also thinking a fixed blade to affix in my briefcase which I always carry, but with random bag searches in this commy city, I'm not sure that is the best idea. Maybe possibly a fixed blade in a pocket that I can de-sheath with a thumb flick. I'm not briefed on the best knife fighting techniques, so any guidance to hardware/dvds/videos/forums/teachers/training would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WobblyPossum
04-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Be careful to never let any part of your knife show. In this city, the police and the DA consider any folder that has a blade which locks open a gravity knife. If they want to hem you up, they can.

Cool Breeze
04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Be careful to never let any part of your knife show. In this city, the police and the DA consider any folder that has a blade which locks open a gravity knife. If they want to hem you up, they can.

I heard about the clip thing, but I not about the "any blade that locks open a gravity knife" - I heard they had loose interpretations of what a gravity knife which is why I was thinking fixed blade, even if in a pocket. I will be carrying something no matter what.

SecondsCount
04-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I am in Dockers nearly every weekday and I carry a Benchmade Emissary. The way the clip attaches to the knife along with how it rides on the pocket makes it fairly discrete.

Not sure if assisted knives are legal in NY or if the knife could be modified to remove the assist mechanism.

TR675
04-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Consult an NYC attorney well-versed in weapons laws. NYC has very regressive laws on weapons that have been interpreted to be even more regressive than they actually are - hence the "folding locking knife = illegal gravity knife" law.

Do not count on getting a pistol license in NYC. In fact, count against it. Simply getting a permit to own and keep a pistol at home is very onerous, and only the rich and politically well-connected get carry permits in the City.

DI1
04-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Do not carry anything clipped in your pocket or waistband.
I have friends who were stopped by NYPD and one arrested for carrying an Emerson folder, the other just had his knife confiscated.
It cost him a lot of money and time to have the charges dismissed.

A good small fixed blade is stronger and quicker to deploy than any folder.
You could easily carry a small 3-4" fixed blade in your front pocket and have easy access to it.
I don't know what your budget is, but can be easily achieved for under $100 to include a quality sheath.

Find a good instructor and learn how to use the knife properly.
Run from anyone who touts them-self as a "Knife Fighter".

Cool Breeze
04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
At this point, I'm tackling the laws on the my own. I'm trying to figure out the best tactical/effective way to carry a knife and which knife to carry.

Chuck Haggard
04-10-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure a fixed blade is going to be a no-go as well.

BaiHu
04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
I don't know about NYC laws, but living in NJ and traveling to the city once a week, it is my understanding that under 4 inches and keeping all parts of the knife concealed is a good place to start. This includes the clip being exposed as you've mentioned.

And I agree with tpd-no fixed blade.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

LittleLebowski
04-11-2013, 07:38 AM
I don't think it's worth the potential legal trouble, honestly.

Dropkick
04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm not briefed on the best knife fighting techniques, so any guidance to hardware/dvds/videos/forums/teachers/training would be greatly appreciated.

If you're really serious about carrying a knife, it would worth getting training first. Skills and abilities should dictate tools and weapons, not the other way around.

If you're in the New York area, I'd recommend MDTS Training's Practical Knife Skills class: http://www.mdtstraining.com/PKSFlyer.pdf
I got to see a 2 hour "preview" of the class at Paul-E-Palooza last year, and it would be on my short list of classes to take if I was closer to the New York area.

Cecil Burch
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
If you're in the New York area, I'd recommend MDTS Training's Practical Knife Skills class: http://www.mdtstraining.com/PKSFlyer.pdf
I got to see a 2 hour "preview" of the class at Paul-E-Palooza last year, and it would be on my short list of classes to take if I was closer to the New York area.

Seconded.

Chris Fry is a switched on guy who is a terrific teacher. He understands the usage of small knives extremely well. He is also well-versed on the legal complexity of NY laws as they pertain to small folders.

Shellback
04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
If you're really serious about carrying a knife, it would worth getting training first. Skills and abilities should dictate tools and weapons, not the other way around.

Thirded! I've taken Chris' class and highly recommend it. Here's a write up on the class I did. http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6949-AAR-MDTS-Practical-Knife-Skills-January-2013

Cool Breeze
04-13-2013, 04:20 PM

Seconded.

Chris Fry is a switched on guy who is a terrific teacher. He understands the usage of small knives extremely well. He is also well-versed on the legal complexity of NY laws as they pertain to small folders.

Thirded! I've taken Chris' class and highly recommend it. Here's a write up on the class I did. http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6949-AAR-MDTS-Practical-Knife-Skills-January-2013

Thank you. This is great to know. I really appreciate it! He is very convenient!

nycnoob
04-15-2013, 06:19 AM
I have written up my experience with NYC firearms licensing over here:

http://www.defensivehandguns.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1263690327

Its a big hassle and I they appear to change the details on a whim. I am
currently looking to leave the city at the end of summer.

If you are interested in FMA knife classes I am fond of an instructor in queens,
but he teaches small classes out of his house. I will PM you details if you like.