PDA

View Full Version : Cane and Derby

Munson
04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Well after seeing Todd run his AIWB holster and a few of my friends doing it, I decided to give it a try. Just put in an order for The Pardus, olive drab to match the gun. Also went ahead and ordered 1 standard mag pouch and 1 appendix mag pouch. Ian was a great guy to deal with and those guys and C&D seem pretty good to work with. After I receive it, i'll give my .02 on it. Here's to shooting my junk off!!

turbolag23
04-22-2011, 09:56 AM
i'm interested to hear some reviews on cane & derby holsters. i've been considering trying them or raven

Munson
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I currently use a raven system, and have nothing but good things to say about them. Its not AIWB system, but I know they do make something for that. The guys at C&D said they were big fans of Raven before they started the company

willowofwisp
04-22-2011, 08:37 PM
I have been running a Cane and Derby magazine carrier and find it perfect.

NickA
04-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Keep us posted, I'm starting to look at these also. I'm curious what kind of tweaks they and Todd have come up with and if they've been implemented yet, but haven't emaild them to find out yet.
Munson- were you at the College Station class?

VolGrad
04-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Keep us posted, I'm starting to look at these also. I'm curious what kind of tweaks they and Todd have come up with and if they've been implemented yet, but haven't emaild them to find out yet.
Munson- were you at the College Station class?

I read the tweaks were minor things that didn't affect function. The holster he is running is the same as you can already order. That's what I read anyway ... I think it was here or on Todd's other site.

NickA
04-22-2011, 09:15 PM
I read the tweaks were minor things that didn't affect function. The holster he is running is the same as you can already order. That's what I read anyway ... I think it was here or on Todd's other site.
Well there goes my excuse for waiting :)

ToddG
04-22-2011, 10:05 PM

FWIW, I think the holster needs additional tweaks before I'd say it's up to par with the Shaggy. The guys at C&D seem hellbent on making this the best aiwb holster imaginable, and I give them a lot of credit. I really look forward to the final product.

NickA
04-22-2011, 10:24 PM
thanks for the clarification Todd.

Munson
04-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Nick, yep its me Chris, good to hear from you again. Nice job on the AAR. When I talked to the C&D guys, they told me most of the tweaks are not so much in the holster itself, but the options that they are going to offer the buyer. Things like do you want the option to have the mag release fully covered, partially covered, or not at all. I liked having those options. I opted for the no cover of the mag release. My thinking was the fewer times I have to the firearm out of the holster on the range for reloads, the less chance for ND's. I remember the way Todd ran the class, you never holstered an empty weapon, and thats how I usually TRY and run my drills. That way you have at least one in the gun, now I can just eject the mag in the holster and put a fresh mag in for a new drill. Thats what I'm hoping for anyway, we'll see once I get the holster. They said wait time is about 3-4 weeks.

Todd, any updates to the "nard saver gadget?"

NickA
04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Good to see you here Chris, and really enjoyed shooting with you guys. Any word on the pictures and video from the class?
I think you made the right call, definitely a plus being able to pop the mag without unholstering.

SmokeJumper
04-24-2011, 10:04 PM
I have been running a Cane and Derby magazine carrier and find it perfect.

Which mag carrier are you running, slime line or standard and did you go with standard belt loops or the canta-loop clip? I was just looking at CD website and pondering a new mag pouch to try. I'll have to call and see if they have an HK45 mag to work with as the HK45 was not listed in the options.

Shellback
04-25-2011, 11:42 AM
I placed an order with C&D about 2 weeks ago. Ian and the rest of their staff have been phenomenal! They should set the standard in the industry for customer service. I'll update this thread when I get my holsters and mag pouches in. I ordered their standard holster and appendix along with the SSL mag pouch with the cantiloops.

If anyone else is ordering and they are a veteran I suggest mentioning it to C&D for a discount. They treat veterans the same way most companies only treat current .Mil or LEO by offering them a discount as well.

SmokeJumper
04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Are you guys placing orders by phone? I had a few questions before ordering and can't seem to get a hold of anyone. Just curious

texasaggie2005
04-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Are you guys placing orders by phone? I had a few questions before ordering and can't seem to get a hold of anyone. Just curious

I had good luck contacting Ian via email last Saturday. He responded within an hour or so, on Easter weekend none the less.

I placed an order via their website on Sunday.

YVK
04-27-2011, 11:01 PM
FWIW, I think the holster needs additional tweaks before I'd say it's up to par with the Shaggy. The guys at C&D seem hellbent on making this the best aiwb holster imaginable, and I give them a lot of credit. I really look forward to the final product.

I agree on all points. I eventually got my P30 back and was able to try a CDI AIWB holster. It needs some work, and I sent them my feedback. The way they are handling themselves, I'd really like to see them succeed.

vcdgrips
04-28-2011, 11:40 AM
I have been wearing a CD AIWB with the 2 rubber loop attachement for a G19 over the last couple of weeks. It was loaned to me by a friend who wanted my impressions.
I have been carrying a G34/35 AIWB since July of 2009. My preferred rig is the Shaggy
or a Keepers Kydex AIWB. I am 6'2'', 210ish, 44/46L coat, 34waist (I buy 36 for AIWB)/34 inseam

Pros
Fit and Finish is excellent, using .080 kydex

Use of the "Blade Tech" fully adjustable rubber snap loop for both attachment points

Holster is secure yet releases the pistol quickly during the presentation and reholsters with a positve "click"

It is "available" in a sub 14 day time frame when CD has all the components in stock
(I am told there is a bit of a run on the BT loops and hardware in the industry right now)

Cons
The footprint is a bit wider and therefore a bit less comfortable for me.

Its construction could be tweaked to puss the butt of the gun into the body a bit more for my body type. I fully understand that this is a very personal thing. Moreover, CD does this primarily with a mold feature near the bottom of the holster v. a holster mouth feature like the Shaggy etc.

Price 85.00 is starting to get on the steep side for Kydex and would absolutely be on the high side if AIWB avalability was not such an issue in the industry right now.

Bottom Line- it is a workable solution. CD seems committed to making the best AIWB on the market, not just only one that can be had in something less than never given the wai times of CCC and RCS. I am looking forward to how CD evolves their AIWB with the input of TLG and other end users

David
www.vcdgrips.com

SmokeJumper
04-29-2011, 09:10 PM
I made contact yesterday with Ian at CDI. I was somewhat blown away by the attention to detail in his/their customer service. I was able to have my questions answered and was provided good information as to what I was looking for in my needs. I ordered a couple of the mag carriers with the canti-loops for two guns. So we'll see how they do when they arrive.

MD7305
05-01-2011, 08:53 PM
My long tale of my CDI experience.

I called CDI last Saturday, not knowing they were closed, and received a return courtesy call from Ian a couple hours later. It seems he saw my number on his caller ID and called me back when he had a chance. Needless to say, I was impressed with that alone. He could've said "oh well, they'll call back Monday." In our conversation he asked where I heard about CDI and I mentioned pistol-training and pistol-forum. He responded, "You're looking at the AIWB Pardus, right?" Ian is a mind reader. Ian was kind enough to set up an account for me and walk me through my order. I asked about turn around for my order, a black Pardus for a HK P30, and he replied about 25 days. I was blown away considering my last Raven order and my precious CCC Shaggy torturous wait time. 25 days...that's like tomorrow! Then Ian asked if I was dead set on black and explained they literally just completed a run of 30 or so P30 holsters and a customer changed their order from OD to black, so an OD Pardus was just "there" waiting for someone to scoop up. And scoop it up I did.:cool: I was stoked. The holster arrived on Wednesday.

I've been using it around the house, dry, with my new P30. The new P30 is a self-gift due to a promotion at work and I haven't had the chance to get to the range yet. My expereince with AIWB started about a year ago with Raven products, a Comp-Tac 2 oclock, a CCC Shaggy, and this CDI.

I like the CDI. It's quite comfy. There is positive engagement when hosltering the pistol and I can get a full grip while my pistol is holstered. The hoslter doesn't quite have the sweet spot that my Shaggy has but time may help me find that spot. The only gripe I have is that the butt of my pistol sticks out a bit more than my Sig 229/Shaggy combo. Wearing just a t-shirt my pistol prints much more obviously but under a secondary cover garment, like a polo/button up/jacket, it disappears. I would much rather have a solid kydex loop or over hooks vs. the pull dot loops but I'm not so sure that's an option. I'm going to wait until I get some time with it before I make my mind up. Five days of wearing it around the house is not a fair critique. I'll post up a review in the future.

CDI's customer service is outstanding. From my experience, I think they would bend over backwards to make the customer happy and that's rare nowadays. I hate to call and bother asking too many questions but Ian made it clear that's what they are there for.

P.S. - If the guy or gal who changed their order from an OD HK P30 Pardus to a black one is out there, thanks I owe you one!:D

Super J
05-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I have been discussing the appendix holster set up with Ian and I'm very impressed with the level of customer service provided. No rush, no pressure and a good attitude

SmokeJumper
05-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I took delivery of two CDI single mag pouches on Saturday afternoon, both equipped with the canta-loop belt clips. When I ordered, Ian went out of his way to explain the design and set up an account for me right away for future ordering. When I asked about the different belt widths for the canta-loops, he threw in an extra set at no cost, now that is unheard of, at least in my holster buying/ordering experiences recently.
The pouches are for Glock 9/.40 and HK45 mags. At first I was not sure about them due to the size, they have a slightly wider foot print on the belt than the FIN Designs and Comp-Tac mag pouches I've been using. They definitely have a much slimmer profile and snug in tight to the body on the belt for good concealment. Mag retention is tight, not too tight, but not sloppy either. The canta-loops were my big hang up as they looked funky in online pics, but after some reloading drills and dry-fire in the house they are definitely secure on the belt and not too difficult in the off/on process as well.
Ian kept me in the loop from start to finish on my order and turn around times was about 2 weeks, not bad at all. I inquired about a Pardus AIWB for my particular HK, but they do not have a dummy for it at this time. However, Ian said that they have a local customer with that model of HK and would make up a few holsters to test and then advise when they were ready for production. They get an A+ for customer service from me.

YVK
05-16-2011, 04:39 PM
I've used CDI mag pouch for a couple of weeks now, and works very well. I agree that it has a wider footprint, but it does keep mag closer to body than most other pouches. Comparing to Raven and JMC mag holders, CDI rides quite lower on the belt. This is neither advantage nor disadvantage on its own; individual body build and height of magazines play a big role here. I had a concern about pulling pouch off the belt due to open-end design of canti-loops, but the concern turned out to be non-issue. I am quite happy with CDI mag holder offering (mine is for P30).

SmokeJumper
05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
I've used CDI mag pouch for a couple of weeks now, and works very well. I agree that it has a wider footprint, but it does keep mag closer to body than most other pouches. Comparing to Raven and JMC mag holders, CDI rides quite lower on the belt. This is neither advantage nor disadvantage on its own; individual body build and height of magazines play a big role here. I had a concern about pulling pouch off the belt due to open-end design of canti-loops, but the concern turned out to be non-issue. I am quite happy with CDI mag holder offering (mine is for P30).

Yes, it does keep the mag closer, much more so than the other mag pouches I've tried and have settled on for carry. The slimness is what got me when compared to a current carry carrier, same mag, but the CDI was a tad less noticeable in my regular wear attire, mileage may vary on this as you pointed out with regard to different body types. I was a little concerned at the lower ride below the belt, but after some carry, it is negligible at the most-no issue, for me. I went with the canta-loop design for a try since VolGrad informed me of trying to load a Glock mag and Comp-Tac carrier together in his gun during a reload. So far, they are secure on my nylon instructor type belts. I have a Raven on order and will compare them together, as the Raven is my first mag carrier from them. I'll definitely do business with CDI again.

DonovanM
05-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Just took advantage of their Memorial Day weeklong sale and got me a Pardus Appendix holster.

We'll see how long it takes to get here :D Can't wait.

Blayglock
05-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Just ordered a IWB and double mag carrier. If it gets here quick, I'll take advantage of their policy which takes off 10% and free shipping if you cancel with another maker.

Odin Bravo One
05-31-2011, 11:07 PM
It has been several weeks since I placed my order........going on about 8 now, and nothing heard so far. I was told about a month ago that it was going into production. Whatever that means.

ToddG
06-01-2011, 06:59 AM
FWIW, I've not received the updated aiwb from them that we were discussing a number of weeks ago, either. Probably just a spike in demand.

Shellback
06-01-2011, 10:18 AM
They've been super fast at responding to my emails and keeping me updated as to the status of my order. You might want to try emailing ian@caneandderby.com

texasaggie2005
06-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Been waiting 5 weeks now, but no big rush personally. FWIW, Ian has done a good job of keeping me up to date via email.

Super J
07-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Any updates on the new/updated appendix holster?

Odin Bravo One
07-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Forgot to update this when I got it.........

I did get the AIWB from CDI......fit and function is good. Comfortable enough. Shaking it out tomorrow to see what it performs like.

karmapolice
07-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I ordered a pardus appendix rig from them on friday, I am looking forward to getting it and trying it out. So far all I can say is great things their customer service has been excellent as I have bothered them a few times and they have always been quick to respond even on the weekend.

phidelta308
07-04-2011, 02:39 PM
I had a couple of questions, and assumed they were closed today (7/4), but called anyway. The phone rang, and I hung up. I got a call back from them about a minute later. Anyways, they answered my questions, and I ordered a full cut Pardus, rubber loops, and a mag holder for my Beretta 92 FS and 92 Compact.

They are running an Independence Day sale; 17.76% off of everything. When I was on the phone with them, I expressed concern that the discount wasn't showing up in my shopping cart. He replied that they were in the process of "whipping their web guy," and that any order time stamped before midnight tonight would get the discount manually applied tomorrow when they're back in the office.

I was on the fence about ordering, but the solid customer service sold me. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Spr1
07-13-2011, 07:23 PM
They are running a 20% off sale today. Awesome customer service also!

NickA
08-27-2011, 09:37 AM
FYI placed my order July 7th and was told 35 days, maybe less. Checked in on August 11th, was told they'd been waiting on a shipment of hardware that just came in and mine should be out the following week. Still waiting and have requested an update.

tmoore912
08-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Placed my order on 7/26 for a AIWB holster. Credit Card still has not been charged. On about 8/2 I sent an email to them asking them why my order was still showing as pending and no charge on CC. On 8/3 I received a reply from them talking about a "system outage last week", but that I was in their system and my order should be labled "Processing" and CC should be charged shortly. It is now 8/27 and my order has been labled as "Processing" in the last couple days, but no charge to my CC.

l8apex
08-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Could be a backlog in filling existing orders. Sent an email without a response a week ago on a AIWB holster. They should catch up soon.

ubervic
08-27-2011, 02:58 PM
It's odd how these (and many other) fine makers of holsters don't seem able to maintain simple email contact with customers.

EVP
08-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Although I dont own any of C&D products, the few times times I have emailed them(a few months apart) I have had great communication and they had returned emails a couple hours later. They have always been very helpful. That makes me want to give them my business when the time comes to buy some kydex.

Maybe your email was filtered as junk or spam? I don't know, but I am always slow to make assumptions when dealing with people. Mistakes and stuff are bound to arise when communication takes place with technology. It happens

VolGrad
08-27-2011, 06:21 PM
It's odd how these (and many other) fine makers of holsters don't seem able to maintain simple email contact with customers.

It can be frustrating but we also have to realize we are spoiled in today's information age. We're used to being able to check the forums, e-mail, FaceBook, etc. all 24/7 through our smart phones, etc. If someone doesn't respond within 15 minutes we start to freak. I'd rather these guys just make great gear and provide acceptable communication. I can live with that.

I do seem to recall C&D posting something on FaceBook or somewhere on here about having some e-mail issues recently.

s0nspark
08-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Could someone post a pic of the Cantiloops? I'm curious as to how they are designed...

Thanks!

VolGrad
08-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Could someone post a pic of the Cantiloops? I'm curious as to how they are designed...

Thanks!

I was getting ready to post the same question.

Reminder ..... every time C&D reaches another 100 "likes" on FaceBook they run a 24hr 20% off sale. If 35 of you go check out their FB page and "like" it we can all get a discount. Hint Hint.

Shellback
08-29-2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks!

I'm headed out the door but took a quick iPhone shot of the Cantiloops on the back of the SSL (Super Slim Line) mag holder. After using quite a few different mag carriers I can honestly say theirs holds the magazine closer to the body than anything else I've ever used (RCS, Atomic Dog, Secret City Weaponeers, etc.).

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3667/cdmag.jpg

Hope this helps.

VolGrad
08-29-2011, 02:14 PM
If it holds more snug than Secret City Weaponeers then HOLY COW!! I still have imprints on my abdomen from a SCW mag pouch I took off on Saturday ... it's Monday. ;)

Thanks for the pics. I can't wait to place another C&D order. Come on ppl ... go "like" their FB page so we can get a sale price.

JDM
08-29-2011, 02:15 PM

From the CDI Facebook page http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6cd086b-e548-329d.jpg

s0nspark
08-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Reminder ..... every time C&D reaches another 100 "likes" on FaceBook they run a 24hr 20% off sale. If 35 of you go check out their FB page and "like" it we can all get a discount. Hint Hint.

Wow - that rocks! 20% would surely help get me off the fence :-)

s0nspark
08-29-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm headed out the door but took a quick iPhone shot of the Cantiloops on the back of the SSL (Super Slim Line) mag holder. After using quite a few different mag carriers I can honestly say theirs holds the magazine closer to the body than anything else I've ever used (RCS, Atomic Dog, Secret City Weaponeers, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Awesome - thanks much!

ToddG
08-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Do the loops extend past the pouch body on the opposite side like the fixed loops do on their mag pouch? That was my main criticism. There was too much hardware blocking a good initial grip on the mag.

I generally prefer pouches that allow my index finger unimpeded access to the front of the mag.

YVK
08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Do the loops extend past the pouch body on the opposite side like the fixed loops do on their mag pouch? That was my main criticism. There was too much hardware blocking a good initial grip on the mag.

I generally prefer pouches that allow my index finger unimpeded access to the front of the mag.

There is actually even more loop material on the opposite (face) side of Cantiloop than on their fixed loop. With fixed, the front part of the loop extends only to the top screw; with fast-attach, it extends to the lower screw.

I haven't thought of this concern, but I did want to compare reload time between a conventional and CDI pouch; haven't gotten around.

VolGrad
08-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm having an issue picturing where you are talking about excess material. I'm slow.

YVK
08-29-2011, 08:29 PM
http://www.caneandderby.com/concealed-carry-kydex-holsters/pardus-kydex-holsters/pardus-low-profile-magazine-carrier.html

Look how the loop comes from behind, loops around the top of the pouch and attaches on the front. Some folks like putting their index finger on the pouch [the surface that faces the belt buckle] when grabbing the mag, or at least bring it close to. That forward loop may get in the way; that's how I understand Todd's concern.

ToddG
08-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Correct. If you're used to sweeping your hand around your belt line to your magazine with an open front garment, you'll hit the loop and have to move around it (or accidentally try to draw the magazine where there is no magazine). It's less of a problem when drawing from underneath a closed front garment but I still prefer having a full front index on the mag while it's in the pouch. To me, it's a lot like getting my firing grip before drawing.

seabiscuit
08-30-2011, 12:36 AM
I've been using one of their mag pouches with cantiloops for a month or two now. The mounting hardware does prevent my index finger from getting to the front of the mag.

However, it pulls the mag in super close, which I really like. If anyone knows of a pouch which rides as close but doesn't have as much hardware up front, please let me know.

SmokeJumper
08-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I've been using one of their mag pouches with cantiloops for a month or two now. The mounting hardware does prevent my index finger from getting to the front of the mag.

However, it pulls the mag in super close, which I really like. If anyone knows of a pouch which rides as close but doesn't have as much hardware up front, please let me know.

Maybe take a look at these guys, http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/ Just learned of them today and their mag pouch looks low pro, but kinda similar to the C&D with belt loops and not canta-loops. Just a thought

VolGrad
08-31-2011, 06:32 AM
Maybe take a look at these guys, http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/ Just learned of them today and their mag pouch looks low pro, but kinda similar to the C&D with belt loops and not canta-loops. Just a thought

Their gear looks very similar to C&D. I wonder if the C&D folks will accuse them of being a direct ripoff of their product like some of the other big name kydex makers? :p

E ... do you know what their current wait time is? No mention of it on their website. The gear looks good though and appears to be priced competitively.

ToddG
08-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Those appear to have the same issue. That's why I prefer these:

http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/images/12064917942431804577972.jpeg
Custom Carry Concepts BMC (http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Basic-Mag-Carrier-BMC.htm)

Admittedly I'm biased as I helped design it. But just fyi, I don't get any money from the sale of any CCC products.

VolGrad
08-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Todd ... that design looks similar to the Kytex Shooting Gear pouches I've been using almost exclusively for classes and competition lately. The Kytex has the clipover loops though for quick on/off. I love them. Can't say enough good things about them and at less than $15 each and dirt cheap shipping they are really hard to beat.

Shellback
08-31-2011, 10:15 AM
The Ready Tactical (http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Pistol_Mag_Pouch_p/rdt.103.htm) mag holders are really similar to the CCC ones with the exception of being able to have "quick on/quick off" capability rather than having to thread them on the belt.

I'll be home this weekend and will put up any other pictures people want of C&D gear. I have several different holsters, appendix & Pardus full cut, along with several different mag holders.

ToddG
08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
The Ready Tac pouch was actually the inspiration for the CCC BMC. Given how many hook/clips I've broken on Ready Tac and similar pouches, I specifically wanted the threaded loop. I put my mag pouch on once a day, when I get dressed in the morning. I take it off once a day, when I get undressed for bed. Maybe I've just perfected the technique but it doesn't seem difficult or time consuming to me. :cool:

Shellback
08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Maybe I've just perfected the technique but it doesn't seem difficult or time consuming to me. :cool:

Do I see blood?!?! MEDIC!!! ;) I'm working out of a home office most often and don't wear a spare mag around the house. I like being able to just slide one on as I'm walking out the door.

NickA
08-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Followed up my email from Friday with another email yesterday; no response. Seriously considering canceling but I'd really hate to do that.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ga Shooter
08-31-2011, 11:20 AM
The Ready Tactical (http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Pistol_Mag_Pouch_p/rdt.103.htm) mag holders are really similar to the CCC ones with the exception of being able to have "quick on/quick off" capability rather than having to thread them on the belt.

This is my ONLY complaint about the CCC BCM. I love them other than I have to thread them beacuse I like to take my extra mags on and off without taking my belt off.

VolGrad
08-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Followed up my email from Friday with another email yesterday; no response. Seriously considering canceling but I'd really hate to do that.

Try this.
1-866-374-0656

I'm a bit curious too though as I have a couple of unanswered e-mails pending. Nothing important though on mine so I wasn't too worried.

Report back.

turbolag23
08-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Those appear to have the same issue. That's why I prefer these:

Custom Carry Concepts BMC (http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Basic-Mag-Carrier-BMC.htm)

Admittedly I'm biased as I helped design it. But just fyi, I don't get any money from the sale of any CCC products.

I've seen the RCS, CDI, and CCC mag carriers and I like the BMC design and feel the best. The retention is good and theres no left handed/right handed model. Yes it may be nice to be able to take the mag holder off without the belt but if i take that off i'm taking off my holster as well anyway.

seabiscuit
08-31-2011, 12:44 PM
The BMC, Ready Tactical, and KYTEX mag holders all look pretty similar to the single mag pouch I have from Alabama Holster Company, which doesn't pull the mag close enough for me to conceal it. I'm looking for something so close that the mag will be in firm contact with my skin.

Do any of the holders recommended here ride that close?

vcdgrips
08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
The Alabama Holster Co IWB mag pouch will ride touching the skin absent an undershirt.

seabiscuit
08-31-2011, 02:18 PM
The Alabama Holster Co IWB mag pouch will ride touching the skin absent an undershirt.

Yeah, but that has the same problem as the Cane & Derby pouch - you can't index your finger along the front of the mag. And I'd rather go OWB for comfort.

NickA
08-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Try this.
1-866-374-0656

I'm a bit curious too though as I have a couple of unanswered e-mails pending. Nothing important though on mine so I wasn't too worried.

Report back.

Tried several times, only get the auto answer thing and no one picks up at either extension. Gave up and left a voicemail.

ubervic
08-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Tried several times, only get the auto answer thing and no one picks up at either extension. Gave up and left a voicemail.

I don't care what kind of product or service it is that is provided; if it takes days to respond to repeated contact attempts by a paying customer, the provider has failed.

VolGrad
08-31-2011, 06:25 PM
I've tried several pieces of AL Holster gear and wasn't please with ANY of it. I dumped it all pretty quick on the forums.

The closest riding pouches I've ever tried/used was (1) Secret City Weaponeers ... it's like a freakin' second skin (2) close tie between Personal Security Systems / Holsters and Kytex Shooting gear.

I wore a Personal Security holster with a pair of single Kytex Gear pouches for an IDPA match this past weekend and actually commented on how snug all that gear was. I was VERY pleased.

seabiscuit
08-31-2011, 07:20 PM
I've been impressed with my Clipper IWB from them, and the mag pouch would work good if I wasn't trying to conceal it.

I tried a Pardus holster, but it didn't ride nearly as close as the Clipper.

I'll have to check out those mag pouches, though.

littlejerry
08-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Unfortunately I have not seen the same great customer service as you guys.

I ordered a holster back in the middle of July and haven't seen any progress on the order(not that I was expecting to...). Recently my CC# was compromised and I had to cancel the card. I've been calling and e-mailing the guys at C&D for two weeks in order to update my billing info but they won't return emails or calls.

I suppose they will figure it out when the card is declined but at this point I think I'll go with someone else in the future who will actually return messages...

Default.mp3
09-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Unfortunately I have not seen the same great customer service as you guys.

I ordered a holster back in the middle of July and haven't seen any progress on the order(not that I was expecting to...). Recently my CC# was compromised and I had to cancel the card. I've been calling and e-mailing the guys at C&D for two weeks in order to update my billing info but they won't return emails or calls.

I suppose they will figure it out when the card is declined but at this point I think I'll go with someone else in the future who will actually return messages...

The CS guy had family business to take care of last week, apparently, and there was no one to take his place, according to the email I received from him today. Not the best practice, having no back-up CS guy, but forgivable, IMO.

VolGrad
09-01-2011, 06:27 AM
The CS guy had family business to take care of last week, apparently, and there was no one to take his place, according to the email I received from him today. Not the best practice, having no back-up CS guy, but forgivable, IMO.

It was my impression C&D is a pretty small shop.

NickA
09-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Opened my email to send a cancellation to them and there's a shipping notice along with a separate email from Ian. He offered profuse apologies and is comping my shipping.
(below is edited from the original, I realized I was probably too harsh)
Heard from Ian again and whatever took him out of the office was sudden enough that he just didn't have time to set up any kind of notification. In light of all the past reports of great communication from him I'll chalk this up to bad timing and impatience on my part. He's working hard to catch up on email and shipping so if you're waiting on something it will hopefully clear up soon.

VolGrad
09-01-2011, 02:27 PM

littlejerry
09-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I managed to get in touch with their CS today. They took care of me promptly and informed me that a "big" lot of appendix carry holsters were just completed(including mine) and would be shipping Friday or Tuesday of next week.

The guy I talked to was extremely courteous but I'm still a bit frustrated that it took two weeks of multiple calls and e-mails to finally get in touch with them. A simple auto-reply apologizing for the being out of office would be sufficient.

NickA
09-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Edited my post above to be more fair; I was having a bad day.

s0nspark
09-02-2011, 09:04 AM
The guy I talked to was extremely courteous but I'm still a bit frustrated that it took two weeks of multiple calls and e-mails to finally get in touch with them. A simple auto-reply apologizing for the being out of office would be sufficient.

Such is life when dealing with (very) small shops... and, to be fair, setting up an auto-reply is not necessarily simple depending on their email setup.

I have two emails into them with pre-order questions and I admit, in the age of almost always nearly instant communication, it is a bit frustrating when it takes a while to hear back from someone. FWIW my wife is the worst - she treats email just like instant messaging and get severely bent out of shape when the replies don't fly back LOL

That said, I do hope C&D gets some more likes on their Facebook page ... I could really use that 20% off on my impending order! *hint* *hint*

JohnN
09-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I guess you guys better hope you never get hit by the 1911 bug. Wait times are counted in years not weeks or months and comms aren't that great either.

JeffJ
09-06-2011, 10:26 AM
I got the AIWB pardus for my G34 a while back. I'm not a huge fan of this holster, in fact, I won't carry it - it's just waiting to be sold when I get around to it. The holster itself seems pretty well made, but its prints like crazy due to the extremely large "wedge" that I think is supposed to pull the grip into you. I spoke with Ian for quite some time previously to recieving my holster after waiting about 5-6 weeks when thier website said that they try to ship in 2 IIRC. I don't mind waiting, just tell me how long I'm going to wait and then actually hit that number within a week or two. I ordered the pardus as a "stop gap" while waiting for my shaggy and it ended up getting here about 3 weeks before the shaggy which showed up right around the time I was expecting it. If I'd known going in that it would take 5-6 weeks instead of 2-3 I'd of spent the money on ammo.

That's pretty negative I know, but quite frankly I'm not impressed with either the holster or the actual wait times vs. stated "goal" wait times. Ian is a very nice guy and most likely would make changes to my holster to try and make it work better, but I'm just going to stick to my shaggy.

fuse
09-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I got the AIWB pardus for my G34 a while back. I'm not a huge fan of this holster, in fact, I won't carry it - it's just waiting to be sold when I get around to it. The holster itself seems pretty well made, but its prints like crazy due to the extremely large "wedge" that I think is supposed to pull the grip into you. I spoke with Ian for quite some time previously to recieving my holster after waiting about 5-6 weeks when thier website said that they try to ship in 2 IIRC. I don't mind waiting, just tell me how long I'm going to wait and then actually hit that number within a week or two. I ordered the pardus as a "stop gap" while waiting for my shaggy and it ended up getting here about 3 weeks before the shaggy which showed up right around the time I was expecting it. If I'd known going in that it would take 5-6 weeks instead of 2-3 I'd of spent the money on ammo.

That's pretty negative I know, but quite frankly I'm not impressed with either the holster or the actual wait times vs. stated "goal" wait times. Ian is a very nice guy and most likely would make changes to my holster to try and make it work better, but I'm just going to stick to my shaggy.

check your PMs

Serpico1985
09-06-2011, 07:29 PM
It's pretty clear and evident that any type of concealed carry is a highly subjective thing. Guys that are the same height, weight and body type can have very different opinions on what works for them. This is even more so with AIWB. I don't think it's fair to criticize the holster for not working for YOU.

Wait times, promised and actual are a different issue.

I ordered one of their OWB's and the wait time was two months (at the time the order was placed their website said they strive for a 7 day turn around) and the holster came in the wrong color but.......the hoslter is very well built and uses excellent robust hardware. Overall I really like the holster. Customer service was also good with generally quick responses and reasonable explinations from Ian.

YVK
09-06-2011, 11:04 PM

I've had a pretty similar experience with them. I couldn't use their AIWB because of low - for me - ride height. I was in no rush and gave them a reasonable chance to rectify that, but that didn't happen for, to the best of my recall, two months. That was about double of what they said it would take. Seems like their production unit is behind a bit.

Their CS remained excellent. Ian was a pleasure to "converse" with, we exchanged a ton of emails, and some of those came back at about 1 am his time...They refunded me instantly and insisted - not just let me, but insisted - that I kept their holster anyway. I'll let it go for the price of shipping once I get a replacement.
I do wish them well regardless.

GJM
09-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Same here. Ian is a great guy and responsive, but my couple of weeks order is more like three or more months and still not complete.

JeffJ
09-07-2011, 06:52 AM
It's pretty clear and evident that any type of concealed carry is a highly subjective thing. Guys that are the same height, weight and body type can have very different opinions on what works for them. This is even more so with AIWB. I don't think it's fair to criticize the holster for not working for YOU.

That's absolutely true, and after rereading my post I think I'm guilty of that. I felt that the patria was well made and well thought out, it offers more adjustability than other holsters on the market. I will say that it's much easier to be overly critical when an item takes twice as long to arrive as it's supposed to. Having said that, I really wanted to like this holster, it just doesn't work for me.

Serpico1985
09-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Agreed. When things take longer than expected I have a more critical eye too. Atleast you shouldnt have a hard tome gettong rid of it!

JeffJ
09-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Agreed. When things take longer than expected I have a more critical eye too. Atleast you shouldnt have a hard tome gettong rid of it!

Already done.

Again - its a well made piece of gear, just doesn't work for me.

jslaker
09-07-2011, 06:57 PM

Even for the same person, things can change.

Personally, when I first started experimenting with forward of the hip carry a few months ago, 2:30 was about as far forward as I could make things work for me personally. I've dropped about 10 pounds in the past month, and suddenly "true" AIWB is totally comfortable for me (at least as comfortable as what SouthNarc referred to as "castration carry" can be ;)). Same guns, same gear.

Carry gear is highly personal; I think most of the folks here are rational enough to understand that.

45R
09-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Same here. Ian is a great guy and responsive, but my couple of weeks order is more like three or more months and still not complete.

I feel your pain. I cancelled my order because of the longer than expected wait.

Savage Hands
09-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I received my 7/7/11 order from them on 09/09/11 and I'm very pleased overall with the construction of this holster, unfortunately the M&P 9c Pardus holster does not work well for my IWB wise but I'm actually carrying it under an untucked polo OWB at 3:00 with much success. I emailed them about the holster not working for me and my gut and Ian indicated that a Full Size version of the holster will provide greater leverage and they will send me the body at no charge.

VolGrad
09-13-2011, 11:31 AM
I received my 7/7/11 order from them on 09/09/11 ....
I expect this will be noticed by some folks that ordered prior to July and are still waiting.

Savage Hands
09-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Maybe they had a large order?

littlejerry
09-13-2011, 10:52 PM
FYI- I received my 7/26 order on 9/9 as well.

When I spoke with their customer service a few weeks ago I was told that a "large order" of appendix-carry holsters had been completed and mine was part of that lot. I inferred that they are doing runs of a particular type of holster and shipping them so that may explain the overlap in order dates vs delivery dates.

Regardind the holster it works great so far. It is my first AIWB holster and it has converted me. Previously I had carried a C-TAC and later a M-TAC at 3:00. The switch back to all-kydex is refreshing after having put up with the downsides of the hybrid holster for 2 years. AIWB has made wearing only a t-shirt a real possibility. Overall I am sold on the improved conceal-ability of the position along with faster draws. What I'm not 100% sold on is the large lump in the holster near the muzzle. I understand its purpose but I feel that for my body type it may need to be reformed for maximum comfort.
Of course reduce some of the extra meat around my waist might help as well... I'm 5'11" and a "soft" 185 lbs.

NickA
09-14-2011, 10:18 AM
My experience is about the same as littlejerry's. Ordered 7/7 and received 9/6, also got the impression that they had a bunch going out (I think they had been waiting on a bunch of hardware). As mentioned it's very well made.
In my limited use so far the lower ride height is more comfortable but makes establishing the grip problematic, and digs in some "down there". The higher setting makes for a better initial grip but tends to poke the gun into my gut (working hard to reduce that). Also the wedge isn't providing quite as much "tuck" as I'd like, though that may also be due to the gut, or belt tightness, or something else. In the lower ride height the bump at the bottom is a little uncomfortable but not bad at the higher setting.
So at the moment more wedge and a ride height between the two settings would seem to be what I need, but since this is my first go at AIWB there's a lot of tweaking to be done before I know for sure. One thing I've noticed is that my tendency to slouch while sitting makes for discomfort so I need to work on that. Should have a Shaggy soon to compare to and help figure out what works.
Can anyone say if the Shaggy rides higher or lower than the Pardus?

JohnN
09-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I didn't really compare ride height when I had both here but for me the Shaggy is much more concealable. Pretty much found the C&D pretty unusable even though the fit and finish were very good. AIWB is so body type dependent though that what doesn't work for me may very well work for you.

Ian's a good guy, if you find it doesn't work for you he will make it right with no argument.

NickA
09-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I didn't really compare ride height when I had both here but for me the Shaggy is much more concealable. Pretty much found the C&D pretty unusable even though the fit and finish were very good. AIWB is so body type dependent though that what doesn't work for me may very well work for you.

Ian's a good guy, if you find it doesn't work for you he will make it right with no argument.

Thanks John. Lots of experimenting ahead but I may very well have Ian tweak the holster for me if it seems worth it. I really do like the appendix position so far, just have to make it work.

VolGrad
09-14-2011, 03:23 PM
AIWB does seem much more user/holster specific. I have the opposite experience of JohnN. I found the Shaggy unusable but the C&D almost perfect for concealment & comfort.

JohnN
09-14-2011, 11:28 PM
AIWB does seem much more user/holster specific. I have the opposite experience of JohnN. I found the Shaggy unusable but the C&D almost perfect for concealment & comfort.

That's exactly why it is so difficult to recommend Appendix holsters over the internet with out knowing someones general body type. Even then it is a crap shoot whether it will work adequately.

KL4545
09-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say that I orderd in mid to late July and haven't received my order quite yet. Communication has been great with CDI, but I don't ever remember being quoted a two month wait time. I think at the time I placed the order it was a month or so. Not a biggie, as I'm in no rush for the gear....just patiently waiting.

VolGrad
09-15-2011, 04:36 PM
20% off Facebook sale is ON.

Savage Hands
09-15-2011, 04:42 PM
20% off Facebook sale is on 09/22/11.

ftfy

VolGrad
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
ftfy

Thanks. Reading IS fundamental. I missed that part.

phidelta308
10-13-2011, 01:39 PM
After much back and forth, and a few missed ship dates, I have finally received a shipping notification/tracking number for my order (placed on 7/4). Will report back when my holster arrives and I've had a chance to put it to use.

phidelta308
10-15-2011, 05:27 AM
My holster, pull the dot loops, and mag holder arrived yesterday. Everything looks great; it's definitely the nicest holster I have. The Pardus full cut holds both my beretta 92 FS and 92 FS Compact equally well.

Hoping to put it through its paces on Sunday.

tmoore912
11-21-2011, 03:13 PM
How are the holsters working for any of you'll who have received your holsters and used them?

I'm still waiting on my order from 7/26.

Spr1
11-21-2011, 03:20 PM
7/13 here......

fuse
11-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I canceled my order from the facebook special (July?)

It was confirmed by their customer service guy.

Guess what came in the mail a month ago? My order. My card was not charged.

Still debating on what to do with them. Actually who am I kidding.

Anyone wanting a cane and derby AIWB Pardus for a

G19
G17
G34

go ahead and PM me.
Very competitive pricing, and fast shipping ;-)

JodyH
11-21-2011, 06:25 PM
My order from 10-3-11 supposedly shipped out Friday (although I have not received a shipping notification or tracking number).
P30 Pardus AIWB in OD green.

texasaggie2005
11-22-2011, 01:58 PM
How are the holsters working for any of you'll who have received your holsters and used them?

I WANT to like mine, I TRY to make it work. But I keep going back to my Comp-Tac CTAC. The strap over the trigger guard prints way too much on me. And the lack of full sweatguard means the slide serrations tear into my belly too much. About 5-6 hours is all I can take before I'm rubbed raw. Other than that, the holster is great. FWIW, does an excellent job of retaining the pistol and pulling in the grip. But my issues with it outweigh the positives. It was my first foray into AIWB, and I learned a little bit, and what I want to look for on my next one. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to try next.

Edited to add; mine was ordered April 24th, shipped June 2nd.

JodyH
11-25-2011, 06:34 PM
My order from 10-3-11 supposedly shipped out Friday (although I have not received a shipping notification or tracking number).
P30 Pardus AIWB in OD green.
Finally received a tracking number today.
They missed the expected ship date by a week.
10-3-11 ordered, shipped on 11-25-11, I can live with that.

Spr1
11-25-2011, 07:54 PM
I have not been able to reach them this week about my order from July.

JodyH
11-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Direct email hasn't worked for me.
When I use the contact form on their web site I get a response by the next day if not sooner.

Kyle Reese
11-25-2011, 09:26 PM
FWIW I just got one of their Surefire G2 holders in the mail yesterday, purchased secondhand. Awesome piece of kit.

tmoore912
11-30-2011, 04:45 PM

After trading a couple emails with Ian, I received a shipping confirmation email from USPS. Hopefully I will be able to use it soon.

Wondering Beard
11-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Direct email hasn't worked for me.
When I use the contact form on their web site I get a response by the next day if not sooner.

Did that this weekend and still no answer

JDM
11-30-2011, 07:31 PM
The communication, or lack of communication is unsettling. It sounds like C&D is in a bit over their heads. I can imagine they are inundated with emails.

NickA
12-01-2011, 10:03 AM
The communication, or lack of communication is unsettling. It sounds like C&D is in a bit over their heads. I can imagine they are inundated with emails.

In my experience they were hit and miss- it's either almost instant communication or a long delay. When I was waiting on mine (detailed somewhere back in this thread) Ian had some kind of personal emergency and was totally incommunicado for a few weeks, with no auto reply on email or voicemail. Once he got back it was fine and my order got out shortly thereafter. I don't know for a fact but it's also my impression that maybe this is more of a part time deal and they occasionally get buried.

JodyH
12-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Received my C&D Pardus AIWB for a P30 today.
Fit and finish are great.
Initial dry test runs in the house are favorable.
When first threading a belt I was thinking "this isn't going to work" because the holster looks bulky.
Once everything was threaded and secured it works quite well.
Definitely tucks the grip well and it conceals the P30 under a T-shirt just fine for me.
I am running my belt out an extra hole from where I carry in one of my Highnoon leather AIWB's, but that doesn't seem to translate into concealment issues.
I'm about to head to the range for a half-ass range session (25mph north winds with gusts to 40+ and temps in the mid 50's) so I'll know more when I get back.

tmoore912
12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I too received my Pardus holster for a Glock 17 today. I've been wearing it for a couple hours now with my G19 and it seems to be as comfortable as the Archangel and Shaggy I have. I've got to figure out the right position to wear it, because right now it isn't tucking the grip into my stomach as much as the Shaggy does. I'll play around with it to see if I can make that better.

Here is how it rides right now.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Holsters/AIWB/IMG_3088.jpg

JodyH
12-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm running the Pardus much closer to centerline than I do my Archangel.
With my Archangel I straddle the pants belt loop at 1 o'clock with the holster loops, with the Pardus both holster loops are to the inside of the 1 o'clock pants loop.
The gun ends up in pretty much the same location, but the Pardus design puts more holster towards the belt buckle.

My range session was a bust.
After sighting in a LCP Crimson Trace and running 75 rounds through a Kahr T9 the weather had deteriorated to the point I packed up and came home.

JodyH
12-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Check your H&K Pardus for a possible serious issue.
My H&K P30 Pardus AIWB has a molding/design flaw that causes the magazine release to be activated on the draw, I had this happen multiple times in a range session.
Belt tension or any other slight pressure on the area around the magazine release causes the issue.
I'll be contacting C&D to see if my holster was molded incorrectly or if this is a design flaw.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2389-Possible-C-amp-D-holster-issue-or-a-weird-coincidence

EDIT:
Cane & Derby has already contacted me via email to resolve this issue with my holster (within hours of this post, and within minutes of my inquiry to their contact page).
Hopefully this was just a minor molding issue with my particular holster.
Very impressive customer service in responding to my problem.

JodyH
12-26-2011, 06:30 PM
C&D went well above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my issue was resolved.
I received the holster in the mail today (yes December 26, our USPS branch was actually delivering weather delayed packages on a holiday).
The replacement holster does not contact the mag paddles in any manner, it appears my holster was an anomaly.
It's too late and too cold to hit the range this evening but I'll put in a few dozen dry draws tonight (with a mag inserted) and see how it goes.
Kudos to Cane & Derby for superior customer service over the holidays.

EricP
02-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Anybody had the opportunity to try out C&D's new PIC holster?

bdcheung
02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Still waiting for mine to arrive. I don't know anyone who had actually received one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdcheung
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Label/Receipt Number: *************
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item is out for delivery at 10:37 am on February 13, 2012 in ***, ** *****.

Detailed Results:

Out for Delivery, February 13, 2012, 10:37 am, ***, ** *****

bdcheung
02-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Ok, so I got the PIC.

I'm at the office right now so no photos, but here are my first impressions.

The good:

Construction is great.
The design is pretty neat. It's not as hokey as the production pictures make it out to be. Photos tonight.
Hardware is good.
Retention is very good, and fully adjustable from "I can't get the gun out!" to "The gun falls out!'

The bad:

One of the pull-the-dot cap/sockets was misaligned. i.e. the "dot" isn't at the top, it's more or less at the 1 o'clock position.

CR78
02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Very curious to see how well the design conceals.

justcor
02-23-2012, 01:06 PM
In my experience they were hit and miss- it's either almost instant communication or a long delay. When I was waiting on mine (detailed somewhere back in this thread) Ian had some kind of personal emergency and was totally incommunicado for a few weeks, with no auto reply on email or voicemail. Once he got back it was fine and my order got out shortly thereafter. I don't know for a fact but it's also my impression that maybe this is more of a part time deal and they occasionally get buried.

I placed an order on 11/25/11 order #100000509 and still have yet to receive my product. I see folks have posted reviews for products they received that were ordered and received in the past 4-6 weeks. My emails requesting status have gone unanswered. I have also been unable to find a phone number to attempt communication via telephone.

I hate to post this sort of thread in a public forum but it seems that no other sort of communication is working. I did get one response back on 2/5 which stated

A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #******* with the following response:

Mr. ********,

I apologize for not being clear enough in my response - sometimes I get a little caught up and the original question doesn't get a complete enough answer.

In this case, the answer is a little tough to give with exactitude - I can't give you an exact date right now, but based on the position in our process your order is approximately two weeks out. That is, of course, an estimate.

What I was trying to say in my previous letter is that because of our production team's efforts we're experiencing a particularly high level of productivity for Glock and M&P orders. This means that there's a good chance your order may be complete before my original estimate.

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer. I'm sorry that I can't give an exact date right now, but I'll make a note on your support ticket to follow up in a few days and let you know if I can give you better visibility.

Thanks!

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email or login to your account for a complete archive of all your support requests and responses.

I have sent multiple replies to this email but have gotten no response. Lack of reasonable communication has left me frustrated. It also appears I'm not the only person that has experienced issues with this company.

LittleLebowski
02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I placed an order on 11/25/11 order #100000509 and still have yet to receive my product. I see folks have posted reviews for products they received that were ordered and received in the past 4-6 weeks. My emails requesting status have gone unanswered. I have also been unable to find a phone number to attempt communication via telephone.

I hate to post this sort of thread in a public forum but it seems that no other sort of communication is working. I did get one response back on 2/5 which stated

I have sent multiple replies to this email but have gotten no response. Lack of reasonable communication has left me frustrated. It also appears I'm not the only person that has experienced issues with this company.

I sent an email with a link to this page to a contact I have at C&D. Let me know if you hear anything.

bdcheung
02-23-2012, 01:43 PM

What did you order?

LittleLebowski
02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
justcor, Cane&Derby would like you to call them at 1-866-374-0656.

justcor
02-23-2012, 04:38 PM
justcor, Cane&Derby would like you to call them at 1-866-374-0656.
I did speak with someone and presto my order seems to have been finished almost as if my magic. It should ship tomorrow and I should have it next week. Thanks to LL for the back channel communication to get this handled for me.

CR78
03-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I did speak with someone and presto my order seems to have been finished almost as if my magic. It should ship tomorrow and I should have it next week. Thanks to LL for the back channel communication to get this handled for me.

justcor, did you end up receiving your order?

VolGrad
03-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Anyone know what the current lead time for C&D is?

zml342
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM

I'm going on 7 weeks. It sounds like some people are getting their stuff in anywhere between 4-8 weeks? Anyone waiting longer?

bdcheung
03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
The stated lead time for the PIC holster was 4 weeks.

Longer for the old-style Pardus.

zml342
03-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I ordered the PIC...

They do mention that they try to have all orders completed in 30 business days; however, lead times may change as demand changes. I'm thinking demand is probably higher since the PIC was introduced.

CR78
03-27-2012, 11:23 AM
My order for a PIC, #586, was placed on January 26. I have not received it yet. After multiple status emails with no response, along with creating a ticket that yielded no response, I decided to call. After my 5th try I got someone on the phone who told me that they are waiting on bolts, and that hopefully it will be shippd this week. I wish their communication was better. When I ordered, lead time was supposed to be 4 weeks

VolGrad
03-27-2012, 12:22 PM
I ordered the PIC too.

I think the business to be in would be supplying hardware to holster makers. Nearly every lengthy delay I've ever heard of has been "waiting on hardware". That's not just one or two holster makers either. It's frackin' nuts.

rob_s
03-27-2012, 01:28 PM
I think the business to be in would be supplying hardware to holster makers. Nearly every lengthy delay I've ever heard of has been "waiting on hardware". That's not just one or two holster makers either. It's frackin' nuts.

and silencer parts.

That has less to do with hardware being hard to get and more to do with an unwillingness (or lack of cash flow) to stock up, and an inability to understand logistics and lead times. When you understand material expediting and procurement it's easy, when you don't even know what those words mean it's hard.

No customer should ever have to be told by a manufacturer that they are waiting on materials. That excuse gets used as if it's a get-out-of-jail-free card and it is not, and does not convey the idea of "it's not my fault" that it's clearly meant to either.

VolGrad
03-27-2012, 01:32 PM
No customer should ever have to be told by a manufacturer that they are waiting on materials. That excuse gets used as if it's a get-out-of-jail-free card and it is not, and does not convey the idea of "it's not my fault" that it's clearly meant to either.
QFT

JM Campbell
03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Planning
Budget
Inventory Control
Communication

Simple right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

JeffJ
03-27-2012, 02:03 PM
and silencer parts.

That has less to do with hardware being hard to get and more to do with an unwillingness (or lack of cash flow) to stock up, and an inability to understand logistics and lead times. When you understand material expediting and procurement it's easy, when you don't even know what those words mean it's hard.

I agree - when you quote an 8 week lead time and can't procure the correct screws it is totally unacceptable. Stock up, get multiple vendors, adjust lead times - really do anything except finally get to a holster, look in the screw bin and realize it's empty then complain when you can't get hardware the next day and act like it's not your fault.

EMC
03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree - when you quote an 8 week lead time and can't procure the correct screws it is totally unacceptable. Stock up, get multiple vendors, adjust lead times - really do anything except finally get to a holster, look in the screw bin and realize it's empty then complain when you can't get hardware the next day and act like it's not your fault.

I wonder how hard it is for these small holster makers to figure out demand chain management given that the flow of business is probably erratic and based on word of mouth advertising. You might be unknown one week and the new hotness the next. Still it's not like they lose a ton of money from warehouse inventory when that warehouse consists of bins out in the garage.

justcor
03-27-2012, 03:20 PM
justcor, did you end up receiving your order?

Yes I did. The excuses and total lack of communication I experienced were ultimately addressed but I question why customer service was so hard to reach. The build quality is excellent on the holster but to be honest the new PIC is just a large wedge bolted to the older design. The holster is quite large with the PIC attached and frankly given the other options on the market I will not be keeping it. I've been using the AIWB model from JM Custom Kydex and find it tucks and sits very close to the CCC Shaggy with the ride height about 1/8 inch higher. My brief review is located here http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3597-JM-Custom-Kydex-AIWB-holster-review

JeffJ
03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I wonder how hard it is for these small holster makers to figure out demand chain management given that the flow of business is probably erratic and based on word of mouth advertising. You might be unknown one week and the new hotness the next. Still it's not like they lose a ton of money from warehouse inventory when that warehouse consists of bins out in the garage.

I question that they can't order the hardware when the order is placed. When you are looking at 30-90 day lead times you should be able to either assign from inventory or order hardware as necessary when orders come in - or at least once a week. The problem should at least be known at week 1.5-2 and communication could occur at that point, not when the product is due/late and the customer is calling - "Umm, your holster isn't ready yet because we don't have the hardware isn't really acceptable" - You wouldn't accept that in other industries - "Umm, I know you dropped your car off for an oil change 6 hours ago, but we don't have any oil. No, we weren't going to tell you we figured you'd be OK with picking it up in three days"

CR78
03-27-2012, 06:02 PM
I've been using the AIWB model from JM Custom Kydex and find it tucks and sits very close to the CCC Shaggy with the ride height about 1/8 inch higher. My brief review is located here http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3597-JM-Custom-Kydex-AIWB-holster-review

Thanks, I've posted some questions for you in that thread!

I question that they can't order the hardware when the order is placed. When you are looking at 30-90 day lead times you should be able to either assign from inventory or order hardware as necessary when orders come in - or at least once a week. The problem should at least be known at week 1.5-2 and communication could occur at that point, not when the product is due/late and the customer is calling - "Umm, your holster isn't ready yet because we don't have the hardware isn't really acceptable" - You wouldn't accept that in other industries - "Umm, I know you dropped your car off for an oil change 6 hours ago, but we don't have any oil. No, we weren't going to tell you we figured you'd be OK with picking it up in three days"

This is one of the things that really bothers me about my experience thus-far with C&D, coupled with their complete unwillingness to respond to my inquiries (unless I'm so lucky as to catch someone on the phone). With their twitter account, facebook, Cane & Derby "news page," etc., it would be all too easy for them to give status updates on production if they've begun to double their stated lead times due to component shortages. From my perspective, if they can't ship holsters because they're waiting on parts, they should have the free time to respond to customer inquiries. I have no doubt that someone, at some point over the past 3 + weeks, has read my emails, ticket request, etc., and simply made a conscious decision not to respond to me because they couldn 't be bothered, which I find to be completely unacceptable. This isn't their first dance with parts shortages either - the C&D threads are full of posts where customers were told that holsters were waiting on belt loops to ship...or bolts...or that they never received inquiry emails. When bdcheung received the detailed email from Ian regarding their new email system, production process, and 4 week lead time, I felt comfortable in believing that C&D had turned a new leaf and was moving the way of Raven Concealment. I'm concerned I made the wrong decision. I'd cancel the C&D order on principle if I wasn't so desperate to get an AIWB that has enough of a tuck function to conceal my G19; Lord knows how long it will take if I start over with someone else.

By contrast, I placed an order for a Raven Phantom for OWB carry for my G19 on February 21st. Since that time, I've received no less than 4 unsolicited status updates from them, the most recent one stating that my order has been completed and sent to the shipping department.

staplebox
03-27-2012, 08:21 PM
This is a strange first post here but...

partially base on this thread I am going to cancel my order with C&D. Its only been 4-5 weeks but I didn't get a reply to an email a week or so ago just asking what their lead time was. I really wouldn't mind waiting, I'm in no particular rush, but the consistent lack of communication by this Co just isn't good. That's no way to run a business imo. Just tell me it'll be X months and deliver on that and I'd be fine. I don't facebook or tweet but even their stuff there all seems out of date and basically ignored - like some customers are saying they have been treated.

Too bad about all this because it appears that they put out a good product when they can.

Onikudaki
03-27-2012, 11:55 PM
I will be putting a Cane & Derby Pardus AIWB Glock 19 Holster and PIC AIWB P30 Holster up for sale here shortly.

I no longer have a need for the G19 Pardus and for my skinny body type the PIC just does not seem to be the solution for AIWB.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you are interested in either of these holsters without the long wait time, both are brand new; worn no more than a few days.

VolGrad
03-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Someone will snatch those up quick. I'd get the Pardus for the G19 but I already have one. It's an amazing holster IMHO but not excited about the PIC. Wish the Pardus was still an option. If anyone has one for a M&P9c they don't need send me a PM.

One thing that bothers me is small shops trying to look like a big company. I understand they want to look legit and all but they also need to be realistic and state they are a 1 man shop, making holsters part-time in their basement/garage/tool shed. What happens is they put up a nice website, promote the hell out of themselves through proxies on forums, etc. then get immediately overwhelmed. They can't deliver. They can't keep up comm. They eventually sort of give up and bury their heads in the sand. It seems to be a natural progression for a good many holster makers.

CR78
03-28-2012, 11:54 AM
After stewing a little more, I decided to cancel my order (I'm curious to see if I get a confirmation email). Today marks 9 weeks since I placed my order. I'll be giving JM Custom Kydex a try.

VolGrad
03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
After stewing a little more, I decided to cancel my order (I'm curious to see if I get a confirmation email). Today marks 9 weeks since I placed my order. I'll be giving JM Custom Kydex a try.

I bet you get a quick response. Orders and Cancellations seem to get responses. Questions, comments, issues, etc. don't. That's my experience lately with a couple of makers.

rob_s
03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
I should say that I really like the holsters and pouches I've gotten from them, and that I have gotten free T&E samples on all of the stuff I have from them. I just started to feel for the guys that were waiting out long lead times and so decided to source my stuff elsewhere until they got caught up.

I hope they can get everything straightened out and get their responses and procurement handled better.

staplebox
03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
This is a strange first post here but...

partially base on this thread I am going to cancel my order with C&D. Its only been 4-5 weeks but I didn't get a reply to an email a week or so ago just asking what their lead time was. I really wouldn't mind waiting, I'm in no particular rush, but the consistent lack of communication by this Co just isn't good. That's no way to run a business imo. Just tell me it'll be X months and deliver on that and I'd be fine. I don't facebook or tweet but even their stuff there all seems out of date and basically ignored - like some customers are saying they have been treated.

Too bad about all this because it appears that they put out a good product when they can.

Now for my second post ever I'll quote myself...

After emailing them and asking to cancel I got an email back in a few hours.

I won't quote the email but they said they had just run a batch that included my order that day and it should ship out early next week. I took them at their word on that and didn't follow through in canceling the order. Since it is made to order stuff, as far as I know, I don't want go back on my order once they put some material into it. That ain't right. I gave them a bit of advice that they were not looking good on the internet right now - fwiw.

I will say that every business has it glitches. And every business has some things that it just can't be completely up front with customers about. In this situation I am thinking to myself - just tell me if it is going to be 6 months - at least I'll know and wait patiently. But that is probably a lie to myself. If I saw 6 months on the front on their website when I first went there I probably would have gone elsewhere - unless they were really the bees knees. But every business has to do this little dance between truth and reality so I can't really fault them for that. However, they do seem to be having trouble with whatever balancing act they need to do in their business.

Anyway - I am still very much looking forward to the holster and I hope it works out well for me. And if so I hope, that with a good product, they get the other stuff together.

Savage Hands
03-28-2012, 10:45 PM
I like their products but they suck on the deadlines they set, even when they have emailed me telling me it's shipping in 4 days or less and still don't ship it until 2 weeks later after 2 emails and a phone call to find out of it was shipped.
Supposedly my IWB PIC was shipped today by Ian himself. I'll update when I receive it.

High Country
03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
I cancelled my order with them yesterday, mostly due to the feedback on the holster itself presented in this thread. I had not heard from C&D since I ordered from them online over a month ago. They responded to my cancellation within a couple hours. I might just throw Dale Fricke some more business and have another Arch Angel at my door step in a week or so.

VolGrad
03-29-2012, 11:12 AM
It's funny because someone suggested to me in a PM yesterday these holster makers must have filters setup to flag/prioritize msgs that include the word "cancel". I sent to such msgs within the past few days ... both were folks who don't comm well ... both responded within an hour. Interesting.

JeffJ
03-29-2012, 01:34 PM
In this situation I am thinking to myself - just tell me if it is going to be 6 months - at least I'll know and wait patiently. But that is probably a lie to myself. If I saw 6 months on the front on their website when I first went there I probably would have gone elsewhere - unless they were really the bees knees. .

I have a couple shaggys and another on the way - my order was handled exactly the way I was told it would and it took about 6 months, I was perfectly happy with the process because I knew what I wanted and I knew what I was getting into from day one and so I had the option, as the customer, to place my order and wait or take my business elsewhere.

CR78
03-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I bet you get a quick response. Orders and Cancellations seem to get responses. Questions, comments, issues, etc. don't. That's my experience lately with a couple of makers.

It's funny because someone suggested to me in a PM yesterday these holster makers must have filters setup to flag/prioritize msgs that include the word "cancel". I sent to such msgs within the past few days ... both were folks who don't comm well ... both responded within an hour. Interesting.

I think you're on to something here. I received a response email regarding my cancelation request from C&D last night. I got no explanation regarding the lack of communication, but my order was shipped this morning (I received a tracking number). I'm going to allow the order to go through simply because I'm anxious for an AIWB holster, but this will be my only order with Cane & Derby. I'll compare the PIC to the JM holster, and keep the one that works best for me.

VolGrad
03-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I really didn't mean for this to turn into a dogpile on C&D. Ian seems to be a good enough guy. The Pardus I rec'd last year is one of my favorite holsters. It's the bomb. When I posted in this thread I was just curious about lead times as I had heard chatter about long delays and poor comm lately.

However, I was already frustrated with lack of comm from another maker on my pending (10wk on a 6-8 wk quoted personally lead time). On that one there was several unanswered e-mails. Once I typed the word "cancel" a response magically appeared and I was told, "Sorry, no excuses. Your order will ship by the end of the week."

HoffACDC
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
I am selling my Pardus. The belt loop affair was less refined than my RCS. The holster, for a railed 5" 1911, had a pocket that allowed the gun to move just enough to make a clicking noise. I painted it green and it is lefty, before people try to snatch it up.

Ian's communication was typical of other members experiences with it. Good at first, dropped off, picked up when I planned to cancel.

I recommended them to a few buddies but will return to my Ravens for real work. Like Milt Sparks and 5 Shot, they are worth waiting for.

_JD_
03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
I think there's a major disconnect within Cane and Derby. All my dealings with Ian went well but Cane and Derby as a whole did not track with what Ian was telling me.

I've also recommend them to others, I just add the caveat that their posted lead times are often erroneous. I think that if they would be more up front about the lead times there wouldn't be so many issues. I don't mind waiting for a holster, just tell me up front that I'll be waiting for it and don't make promises that can't be kept or that you have no control over.

I like the gear, but some of their administrative areas need improvement.

VolGrad
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
I think there's a major disconnect within Cane and Derby. All my dealings with Ian went well but Cane and Derby as a whole did not track with what Ian was telling me.

How many actual warm bodies make up C&D I wonder? I kind of thought it was a one man show.

Folks do need to realize now matter how fancy a website is, or how good a product is, of how much web presence they have .... most of these small shops are actually one man shows, many aren't even full time holster makers.

_JD_
03-31-2012, 12:48 PM
How many actual warm bodies make up C&D I wonder? I kind of thought it was a one man show.

Folks do need to realize now matter how fancy a website is, or how good a product is, of how much web presence they have .... most of these small shops are actually one man shows, many aren't even full time holster makers.

I got the impression that there's more to it than that:

Mr JD

The website (like many others) is out of date with what we are currently practicing.

In this regard, i throw my hands up as im not 100% sure what the bosses are telling the billing department.

*I* am telling customers that we are billing as the orders ship to keep people from launching rockets in our general direction. So far, most people that have been waiting seem to appreciate this so we are handling it on a case by case basis.

I am going to put this before the command staff again so that they're aware that our practices are not congruent with our website. The internet is a strange place. Ask any web designer and they will say that they're always busy changing things on a daily basis...i am glad im in customer service. :)

Also, i am not sure if the revised clips went out with your order as i am still not in the shop handling my accounts.

VolGrad
03-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Sounds like he is making a funny to me rather than describing a large conglomerate.

I buy/sell/trade so much support gear I refer to my garage as "the shipping department" as that's where I keep all my boxes & packing materials. I sometimes refer to my wife as my "courier" because when things won't fit in the mailbox she runs them to the PO for me.

_JD_
03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Sounds like he is making a funny to me rather than describing a large conglomerate.

I buy/sell/trade so much support gear I refer to my garage as "the shipping department" as that's where I keep all my boxes & packing materials. I sometimes refer to my wife as my "courier" because when things won't fit in the mailbox she runs them to the PO for me.

Could be, but there was some stuff on their face book page a while back in Novmeber about them pulling in "other staff" to help with production etc.

It coould be legit or all BS. All I know is that on several accounts they have indicated having a "staff" rather than one guy.

VolGrad
03-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Could be, but there was some stuff on their face book page a while back in Novmeber about them pulling in "other staff" to help with production etc.

It coould be legit or all BS. All I know is that on several accounts they have indicated having a "staff" rather than one guy.

Maybe so, I just know of several other holster makers that refer to "staff" and "we" this/that when I know for a fact they are just a 1 man operation. Generally speaking, one could have a staff of 1 or could recruit one's buddies as needed to help knock some things out if you get in a pinch.

CCT125US
04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Based on several requests I am going to describe the modifications I have made to my PIC holster.

Original holster with modified attachment to the left.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/CCT125US/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-03-31_181412.jpg

Modified installed with PIC to the left.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/CCT125US/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-03-31_181050.jpg

Looking through the holster, the length of the new arm plays a key role in torque and comfort. There is a fine line.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/CCT125US/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-04-01_103955.jpg
Bottom view showing the semi circle used to put pressure on the holster in order to twist the butt into the body. This was formed by pressing a socket into the kydex while resting in a vise. This is actually an important step and there is a fine line between good and crap that is painful.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/CCT125US/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-04-01_104240.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/CCT125US/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-04-01_104401.jpg

Showing the two arms for reference. Notice the change in profile between the two? I am simply to skinny to make the original work. The Crossbreed spring steel clip provides a much thinner profile to conceal and provided me the best solution. They are very sturdy and simple to take on and of. Frankly the "pull the dot tabs" don't conceal for me at all. I also tried Raven loops which are much thinner with less printing.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/CCT125US/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-04-01_104657.jpg
First I made a template of the original PIC and added about 3 inches in length. I had to drill an additional hole between the two existing holes in the holster body. This allowed the new arm to be dropped lower providing a higher ride for me. Next was to mark holes in the new arm for drilling. Bending was done by heating and wrapping the kydex around a piece of base board trim. The trick here is too much bend and you can't get it mounted, too little and it creates a bulge. Keep in mind that kydex does bend to a point. It is certainly not touching the holster in the pictures, but when it is on the belt it bends causing the semi circle to make contact. Next step was to mount the arm to the holster body. Place an unloaded gun in and determine how you want it to sit on the belt. I slipped the Crossbreed clip in between the holster and pants in order to note the angle and depth. Drill holes in the clip and mate to the arm in the desired position. Then I formed the semi circle using the method described above. Sounds simple huh?? Many hours were spent making this work for me. That is not a hit against Cane and Derby it is just my reality. My stats for reference: 5" 0" 119lbs (lost some weight) 28in waist and 22in inseam. As you can see I am not an "off the rack" kind of guy. Modification and adjustment is a given. I think of it as a challenge.
Items needed.... heat gun - not hairdryer, kydex, Crossbreed clip, mounting screws, drill, high speed steel bits, baseboard or window trim, dremel, sandpaper, cotton gloves to keep wet so you don't melt kydex to your fingers (don't ask), socket set to press semi circle, lots of time and lots of patience. Now there may be a holster somewhere out there that fits me perfectly, but the time, money, wait times, lead times, and time in general are what caused me to make my own. The C&D makes a good base for modification. I know there are others out there (Comp-Tac) that could be used as a base as well. For people who can simply order a holster and it somehow works for them, consider it a blessing. The other aspect that is probably obvious is that not everyone is going to have all the needed supplies laying around like I do.
The results: you can see how the grip is pressed into my my AIWB area even with arm up.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/CCT125US/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-03-25_154700.jpg

bdcheung
04-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Totally off topic question, but how do you keep your composite deck mildew-free?

CR78
04-01-2012, 12:19 PM
CCT125US, thanks so much for your post. I received my PIC holster yesterday, and it creates a pretty large lump for me; I may try your modification as an alternative to selling it.

Savage Hands
04-12-2012, 11:46 PM
I finally have my new C&D PIC IWB , going to wear it tomorrow and see what I think.

Made for a FS9, 9c pictured.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/9711ed19.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/8bf91f6c.jpg

VolGrad
04-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Looks pretty good Shenaniguns. Anxious to hear how it works out for you. Don't recall .... have you used the Pardus? I am interested to see if folks really agree the PIC is an improvement.

Savage Hands
04-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Looks pretty good Shenaniguns. Anxious to hear how it works out for you. Don't recall .... have you used the Pardus? I am interested to see if folks really agree the PIC is an improvement.

I do have a Pardus Full Cut for my FS9 that I also use for my 9c as well like this one:

http://www.caneandderby.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/cane-and-derby-5546.jpg

I had one just for my 9c originally and it worked great OWB but not IWB, so that's why I wanted to try the PIC.

DonovanM
05-04-2012, 01:15 AM
I got a PIC today (from a classified ad, not C&D direct) and am very impressed with it. Great fit and finish, retention is there - adjustable, why wouldn't it be - and it pulls the butt of the gun into my belly very well. I've been using a homemade rig for a year or so now and this thing blows it out of the water, I guess now I know what a real appendix holster is supposed to do. It's also fast enough. My first draw out of it live fire was a 1.43 on a 20 yard mini popper (6" wide steel target). Very impressed.

If you guys can deal with the vague lead time and the spotty communication issues, this is definitely a quality product IMO.