PDA

View Full Version : muzzle brake optons for DD 10.3"bbl MK18 SBR

VolGrad
04-08-2013, 01:59 PM
OK, so GOOGLE'ing "muzzle brake" ..... well, you can imagine what comes back.

I figured I'd ask here since there are a lot of plugged in folks here.

It's been right at 6 months so my stamp should be back most any day. I was in my LGS the other day fondling it for a few minutes and the convo turned to suppressors, etc. I have no $ or patience to spring for another can right now. The convo then turned to muzzle brakes.

Me being a complete rifle NOOB really don't know what my options are, what's good/bad, etc. What should I look at or is the idea all hype anyway?

For reference, the gun will be used for HD. The private club where I shoot for practice -and- every place I've ever trained is outdoors (with one exception and it was a pistol class). Yes, I know it will be loud, esp inside. I get that. A SBR rifle indoors will be LOUD but what can I do short of a can to reduce the noise a little?

Thanks in advance.

orionz06
04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Does it need to be a brake?

Sparks2112
04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
The Noveske PIG is about the only thing I can think of that may help out for what you're talking about. IF, they were available the new KAC MAMS appears to be awesome to the plaid degree, though perhaps not for sound redirection. They're about as attainable as ludicrous speed right now though. :(

VolGrad
04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Does it need to be a brake?
I have no-preconceived ideas at the moment. I just know I am not planning to buy a can right now. Other than that my options are (1) something other than a can or (2) roll with the gun as it is.

I am at the very beginning of the learning curve here. School me.

Sparks2112
04-08-2013, 02:26 PM
I have no-preconceived ideas at the moment. I just know I am not planning to buy a can right now. Other than that my options are (1) something other than a can or (2) roll with the gun as it is.

I am at the very beginning of the learning curve here. School me.

Noveske KX3 (http://www.locknloadblog.com/2012/07/noveske-kx3-flash-suppressorfor-556mm.html) This is going to pretty much be the ONLY thing that's going to do what you want that I'm aware of.

wilco423
04-08-2013, 02:55 PM
On my 10.3", I went from an A2, to a Noveske KX3, to a BC 2.0, and back to an A2. The pig did a very good job at blast redirect, but is heavy and has no "brake" properties as far as muzzle or recoil control. The BC worked really well for muzzle control. I'd run one on a longer gun, but the impulse was really rattling in our 2 lane underground range, and still very noticeable in a semi covered outdoor range. The A2 helps with muzzle control and doesn't increase blast. I found it to be a good compromise for me. I would like to try one of the new BCM comps, as they seem to angle the blast more forward than the BC, and is one of the less expensive muzzle devices out there at ~$90. Fwiw.

orionz06
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Indoors I found the KX3 to do well to redirect but it was able to bounce off the wall back at me sometimes. Wasn't worth it, to me. This was a room with a ceiling and hard floors without furniture, things can vary when you change that. I use an A2 still.

Tamara
04-08-2013, 03:26 PM
OK, so GOOGLE'ing "muzzle brake" ..... well, you can imagine what comes back.

That's because the internet thinks it's spelled "muzzle break". ;)

VolGrad
04-08-2013, 03:52 PM
That's because the internet thinks it's spelled "muzzle break". ;)

I noticed that. :confused:

What about the AAC Blackout?

To prove my NOOBishness even more. A2 is what is on the factory gun, right?

EricP
04-08-2013, 04:12 PM
A2 is what is on the factory gun, right?

Yes.

IMO the only reason to put a muzzle break on a SBR is to provide a a sacrificial baffle so you don't needlessly wear out your suppressor. Since you don't have a can, I'd skip it all together. When and if you ever do decide to get a can, it will dictate what your options are. I'd use the A2 for now and if down the line, you find a reason to change it you can do so.

I haven't used an AAC Blackout, so I can't comment on that.

Odin Bravo One
04-08-2013, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't consider a brake at all. Not on anything in the AR world anyway. I guess if one was shooting 3 gun, or something.......but a brake on an SBR does nothing than ruin your hearing, and piss off anyone within about 10 feet.

I like the AAC Blackout flash hider, to hide flash. It's not the end all, be all, but is far more effective than anything in the brake world, and I just can't see the need for a brake on a 556, 6.5, 6.8, 762, etc. The BattleComp's are ok, but just ok. Not enough benefit to justify having one on my rifle, and way too much flash for my tastes.

If recoil is a concern, take the $150 for new front end hardware and spend it on some top end software instead. And a few minutes a day in the gym.

If the gun comes with an A2 birdcage, I don't know that I'd feel the need to change it. I probably would if I had an AAC 51T hanging around extra, but I'm not sure I'd buy one right off the bat.

VolGrad
04-08-2013, 05:46 PM
All good advise. Please keep it coming.

Also know this, my intent is not to "dress up" my SBR. If it doesn't serve a real, legit purpose ... that actually applies to my situation ... then I have no desire for it. My "need" is for a HD gun that won't be wearing a can any time soon, if ever. I won't be shooting a bunch indoors, hopefully NEVER actually.

If the benefit of any of these devices is only marginal ... or not a really something the average user would really notice then it probably isn't for me.

wilco423
04-08-2013, 06:45 PM
FYI, the DD MK18 comes with their own DD flash hider, which looks substantially similar to the A2, but is different. No idea on the performance differences. Maybe a more precision version for A2 compatible suppressors?

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/270x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/d/dd-08061_4.jpg
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/343/343064.jpg

ETA: From DD's site:
"The Daniel Defense Flash Suppressor is designed to reduce muzzle flash. Manufactured from aerospace 17-4 stainless steel and salt bath nitride finished, there's minimal chance of corrosion. The Daniel Defense Flash Suppressor comes in standard or extended length and 1/2 x 28 TPI or 5/8 x 24 TPI.
Thread: 1/2 x 28 TPI or 5/8 x 24 TPI
Length: Standard (1.875") or Extended (2.25")
Note: The Standard Length with 1/2 x 28 TPI is compatible with Advanced Armament Omni, Gemtech Halo, KAC NT-4 QDSS."

Odin Bravo One
04-08-2013, 11:59 PM
The Mk18 contract requirement is that the device readily accept the KAC QDSS....it's an A2, with external dimensions compatible with the suppressor. Performance is the same as the A2.

Sparks2112
04-09-2013, 12:56 AM
The Mk18 contract requirement is that the device readily accept the KAC QDSS....it's an A2, with external dimensions compatible with the suppressor. Performance is the same as the A2.

Slight thread drift, what are your thoughts on the KAC can Sean?

Default.mp3
04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
The PWS Triad (http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=251) is suppose to be a compromise between flash suppression and muzzle flip reduction (though apparently it doesn't do anything about overall recoil); might be worth looking into. Some of the guys on M4C have stated that it seems to work as advertised, with great flash and muzzle flip reduction and no perceptible added blast. jstyer had one, maybe he can chime in on it.