PDA

View Full Version : Bad Gunstore Advice

jslaker
04-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Anyone who's spent any amount of time in a gun store has seen it: employees dispensing terrible advice to customers. For whatever reason, the average off-the-street Joe seems to think that gun store employees are both blessed with privileged knowledge and somehow different from salespeople in other industries.

What's some of the bad advice you've seen handed out wholesale in a gun store?

jslaker
04-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Personal pet peeve, though tame in comparison to some of the posts I'm sure this thread will get, is the man behind the counter helpfully directing anyone that looks like a female toward mouse guns so that she can have "something you can handle," unlike those full-caliber guns that would surely break her wrists.

VolGrad
04-22-2011, 07:38 AM
.45gap = .45acp

Customer asked what the difference was. Response, "Nothing. They are the same."

ToddG
04-22-2011, 08:26 AM

First pistol I ever bought was a Taurus PT-99. Gun shop guru told me it was just as good as the Beretta I wanted, cost less, and could be carried cocked & locked so of course it was tons easier to shoot.

When I asked about home defense ammo, he drew his Glock, popped out the magazine, and showed me how he epoxied primers into the nose of his JHPs "so they explode when they hit someone."

seabiscuit
04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Telling someone who's clearly never handled a pistol before that the Glock's short trigger reset will help him kill the bad guy who barges into his bedroom at night.

That customer had a long way to go before a short trigger reset would help him at all. And he'd probably never get there.

Bill Lance
04-22-2011, 08:44 AM
When I asked about home defense ammo, he drew his Glock, popped out the magazine, and showed me how he epoxied primers into the nose of his JHPs "so they explode when they hit someone."

I must admit---I have never heard that one before. To quote the guys on ESPN----"Come on, man!!"

Kyle Reese
04-22-2011, 09:01 AM
"You can shoot a 9mm Makarov in any 9x19- the Russians designed it that way"

Or

"You can shoot 5.56 out of an AK-74, I learned that in the Army"....

I was at the Arundel Mills store a few years ago and was looking for .357 SIG ammo.

Seeing none on the shelf, I asked the guy at the gun counter.

I was told "We're a family oriented store, and we don't stock calibers like that". I wasn't aware that the .357 SIG was a non family oriented caliber. Perhaps it inspires infidelity, or something. :rolleyes::p

I left the store and have not returned.

Experiences like this are the reason I'd rather get a root canal than visit most gun stores these days......

VolGrad
04-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Experiences like this are the reason I'd rather get a root canal than visit most gun stores these days......Funny you say that. I find most of my real "gun guy" friends and I feel the same way. I have on local shop I like but other than that I tend to avoid gun shops. Most are full of retail sales people and NOT gun people. Sadly, they are full of bad advice/info and and large price tags.

Aray
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Oddly enough, it's just as bad on the other side of the counter. It grinds me to death when I volunteer at my friend's store (or in general) talking to people who ask tons of in depth questions and then buy a Taurus Judge.

Ga Shooter
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
"You really need to buy this FNH 5.7 it's only been a year since the Ft Hood thing and they are going to outlaw the best pistol ever mad, better get it while you can!"

"We are charging more for that 7.62 ammo because Hillary has struck a deal to ban the import it just has not made the news yet and the American made stuff if twice as much"

Customer: "How much are your AR15"

Store: "They start out at $700.00 and go up to $2500.00"

C: "What's the difference"

S: "None just the money spent on advertising. They all suck your really need to buy a AK if you want a great universal rifle"

C: "Why?"

S: "AR's are for video gamers. You can't kill anything with them. An AK will blast everything."

"S&W M&P is the NEW GLOCK."

"You don't want a Kydex holster everybody in the know uses a Galco Leather holster off the shelf. Kydex gets too hot and can cause bullets to go off while still in the mag."

All last month in one visit while waiting for a shooting lane to open!

Aray
04-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Customer: "This Jimenez Arms won't cycle."

GS Guy: "Really? What's wrong?"

Customer: "It won't feed the bullets out of the clip."

GS Guy: "I think it might need some lube, how many rounds did you fire?"

Customer: "I didn't shoot it, it won't work when I pull it back."

GS Guy: (While racking properly) "Seems to work for me..."

Customer: "Well when you do it that hard. Are you sure that won't hurt it?"

3-7-77
04-22-2011, 11:00 AM
There are two places I will not go. Gun Stores and Public Shooting Ranges. For the reasons already covered here.

jslaker
04-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Customer: "Well when you do it that hard. Are you sure that won't hurt it?"
To be fair, you said it was a Jimenez. :cool:

Dropkick
04-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I got to over hear a store owner talking about how he'd shoot it out if anyone tried to rob the place. His employee retorted with: "That's cool, I'll be running out the back door."

Needless to say, I don't give them* any of my money.

*The gun store

TCinVA
04-22-2011, 11:19 AM
I got to over hear a store owner talking about how he'd shoot it out if anyone tried to rob the place.

Generally speaking bad guys who want to rob you tend to use weapons. Once someone points a weapon at me I no longer care much about why...I'm going to focus more on solving the problem.

Dropkick
04-22-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm going to focus more on solving the problem.

Yup, like giving armed robbers what they want.

David
04-22-2011, 01:11 PM
I almost feel cheated, the local shops here are pretty bland when it comes to talk like that. Most of them are so silent you can hear the guy the next isle over break wind no matter how stealth he tries to be.

TCinVA
04-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Want...asking for...whatever works for you. ;)

Dropkick
04-22-2011, 01:31 PM

Want...asking for...whatever works for you. ;)

I see what you did there. ;)

jetfire
04-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Like coffee shops, hardware stores, clothing stores, cell phone stores, or any other retail outlet there are good gun shops and there are bad gun shops. Having spent a good portion of my professional career in various customer-facing jobs, the issues that you see in gun stores are not unique to the industry. I've had cell-phone salesmen straight up lie to me, not knowing that I was in the industry, I've had suit guys tell me that the $99 cheapo suit is "just as good" as a bespoke jacket even though you can see the uneven stitching, and the list goes on.

My favorite though are car salesmen. This is an actual conversation I had with the guy that sold me my last car:

Me: How many HP does this engine produce at x,000 rpm?
Sales guy: "It's got pretty good HP, but the ride is really great."
Me: So how many horsepower exactly?
Sales guy: It compares favorably to a BMW M3!
Me: The M3 has like 400 hp, so what does this have, 350, 375?
Sales guy: Would you like to go for a test drive?
Me, now looking on my phone: The website says this model has 202 horsepower, how is that "comparing favorably with the M3?"
Sales guy: You don't need 400 though, this car has all the performance...
Me: I'm leaving now.

Sure, bad gun store advice is annoying, likely because we're more attached to the culture and likely to be offending. But it's certainly not a problem unique to our industry. The bottom line is that at the end of the day, gun store employees have shit they need to sell. I'd much rather have a gun shop employee try to sell me some ridiculous piece of gear that I don't need than not even acknowledge me when I walk in.

Pistol Shooter
04-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Getting back to the original question which is:

My wife and I were in a very large local gunshop a few months ago when we actually

heard one of the salesman repeat this old cliche to a customer while showing him a

pump shotgun:

" Just the sound of this (racks shotgun) in the middle of the night will scare off most bad guys".

We just looked at each other and burst out laughing in disbelief. :D

Kyle Reese
04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
I was shooting with a lady friend tonight, with her Gen 3 Glock 17. While waiting for a lane to open up, we laughed about the following scenario that happened when she bought the gun.

When she bought it, the salesman was pimping the Gen 4 Glock 17s very hard, and was trying to sell her the BS about the .45 ACP having superhuman knockdown power over the wussy 9mm. Her hands are too small to comfortably grip the Glock 21's, and the price of .45 ACP ammo would limit her range time. Luckily I saw this coming, and briefed her ahead of time about potential gunstore BS. :cool:

When he went to get the Gen 3 gun out of the back, I kind of gave her "the look" and she laughed out loud.

Getting back to the original question which is:

My wife and I were in a very large local gunshop a few months ago when we actually

heard one of the salesman repeat this old cliche to a customer while showing him a

pump shotgun:

" Just the sound of this (racks shotgun) in the middle of the night will scare off most bad guys".

We just looked at each other and burst out laughing in disbelief. :D

Odin Bravo One
04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Any word uttered in a gunstore needs to be chalked up into the realm of fantasy, internet experts, or pure bullshit. I refuse to even enter one except to pick up the firearm I had transferred in, and I exit as quickly as possible with every attempt to avoid conversation or interaction beyond that required for the transfer.

VolGrad
04-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Any word uttered in a gunstore needs to be chalked up into the realm of fantasy, internet experts, or pure bullshit. I refuse to even enter one except to pick up the firearm I had transferred in, and I exit as quickly as possible with every attempt to avoid conversation or interaction beyond that required for the transfer.

Again ..... like buying a car. ;)

jetfire
04-23-2011, 09:24 AM
I would add that the major difference between gun shops and car dealerships is that the BS coming from the car salesmen is driven by his desire to make sweet, sweet commission cash. The BS from the gun shop guy is usually driven by whatever his personal agenda is. I find the former preferable, because I can deal with people whose bottom line is money.

ToddG
04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Car salesman are much more hit or miss in my experience. I bought a new car on Thursday and early into the discussion I mentioned that I was also considering a comparable BMW. The salesman said, "BMW? That's a girl's car." I just looked at him and said let's not play those kind of games... and from there out he was 100% helpful, never tried to get me to super-size my order or sell me the Top Secret Undercoating, etc.

Odin Bravo One
04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
I hate car salesmen too.

But if I had to choose between to the two to talk to, I also would pick the car salesman. He wants his commission. Easy to see his angle. I don't know the motivations of the gun store employees or why they let that garbage escape their mouths.

Me? I'd rather have the gun store employees completely ignore me until I approach them for my transaction.

Tamara
04-23-2011, 06:30 PM
I would have given my right arm to find a USPSA Grand Master Dale Carnegie graduate with a gunsmithing degree from the Colorado School of Trades who was willing to work part time for not much more than minimum wage. Sadly they never came in and filled out an application, so y'all were stuck with dense l'il ol' me. :o

MDS
04-23-2011, 07:10 PM
I bought a new car on Thursday

Isn't it a little early to spend your earnings from The Gadget? ;)

John Ralston
04-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I had some numb-nut try to sell me a gun..."you need this one, so and so put 96,000 rounds through one in a year, with only a few malfunctions". Yeah right...:cool:

Joe in PNG
04-23-2011, 11:25 PM
I've been blessed that most of my gunstore visits have been blissfully free of dumb clerks and bad advice... probably because my incessant aspie gun nut babble doesn't leave room for them to get a word in edgewise.

MattInFla
04-24-2011, 09:42 AM
The one that drives me batty is when a gun shop clerk tries to sell a new shooter - usually a woman - an ultra-light weight revolver as a first gun.

In my experience, these are good carry guns, but not a whole hell of a lot of fun to shoot. How is a new shooter going to become proficient when they shoot half a box of ammo and put the gun away because it is unpleasant to shoot?

Kyle Reese
04-24-2011, 10:01 AM
I've seen worse over the years. :o, to include pocket .25's/.32's/ etc being suggested to the hapless buyer, as well as such classics as a Deagle.

The women in my life have been best served with the *GASP* 9mm Glocks & M&P 9's. MattinFla is 100% spot on. Have a woman (or any new to the firearms world) buy a handgun that may be "powerful" but unpleasant to shoot, and you've limited their participation in the shooting world, maybe even turned them off to it completely.

The one that drives me batty is when a gun shop clerk tries to sell a new shooter - usually a woman - an ultra-light weight revolver as a first gun.

In my experience, these are good carry guns, but not a whole hell of a lot of fun to shoot. How is a new shooter going to become proficient when they shoot half a box of ammo and put the gun away because it is unpleasant to shoot?

Tamara
04-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Oh, gawd, that is my personal pet peeve.

I had a boss many years ago who would try and sell any novice woman shooter who looked financially well-off one of the then-new Scandium .357 J-frames. He knew that the freaky light weight and that deluxe lined "jewel box" case, and the exotic-metal look of the titanium cylinder were like pure yuppie bait in that era of titanium sunglasses and pens and golf clubs and even "titanium" credit cards. I'd just cringe watching this, but he was my boss, so what're ya gonna do?

Nothing like watching a new shooter proudly walk out of there with the revolver and a box of whatever premium .357 ammo he sold her, knowing that she was going to the range with a gun with minuscule sights, a 12+ pound DAO trigger, and muzzle blast and recoil like a bomb going off in your hand... Luckily, he didn't like hanging around the shop much and was fairly easy to keep away from the counter when he was there.

I went from there to running the sales floor at a larger shop and I have to say that everything I knew about how to not run a gun store, I learned from watching him.

fuse
04-24-2011, 01:58 PM

No fucking way

Tamara
04-24-2011, 02:02 PM
No fucking way

Oh, yeah! That was supa-tactical amongst the Soldier of Fiction, Mack Bolan-reading crowd in the late '80s-early '90s.

fuse
04-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Car salesman are much more hit or miss in my experience. I bought a new car on Thursday and early into the discussion I mentioned that I was also considering a comparable BMW. The salesman said, "BMW? That's a girl's car." I just looked at him and said let's not play those kind of games... and from there out he was 100% helpful, never tried to get me to super-size my order or sell me the Top Secret Undercoating, etc.

Perhaps you were printing, slightly.

fuse
04-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Oh, yeah! That was supa-tactical amongst the Soldier of Fiction, Mack Bolan-reading crowd in the late '80s-early '90s.

No kidding.

I guess I am fortunate, in my young age.

Tamara
04-24-2011, 07:31 PM
I guess I am fortunate, in my young age.
Not necessarily. I mean, I had many years of being able to go into gun shops before I ever had to lay eyes on a Taurus Judge. :p

Josh Runkle
04-24-2011, 10:04 PM
90% of the bad advice I hear in the gunshop is usually related to NFA items/title 2 weapons.

Tamara
04-24-2011, 10:11 PM
90% of the bad advice I hear in the gunshop is usually related to NFA items/title 2 weapons.

If they refer to them as "NFA items/Title 2 weapons", they're already way ahead of the power curve. It kills me that somebody will spend the dough on an SOT so's he kin sell some o' them there "Class 3 guns". :rolleyes:

WDW
04-24-2011, 11:38 PM
This was the other day
Customer: What is the muzzle velocity of a 5.7x28mm out of an FN 5-7
Employee: Oh it's super fast, somewhere close to 5,000fps
Really?

fuse
04-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Why yes, a factory handgun regularly shoots faster velocities then nearly any rifle round in existence.

JDM
04-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Why yes, a factory handgun regularly shoots faster velocities then nearly any rifle round in existence.

Or nearly as fast as an M1 Abrams main gun.

I've heard some ridiculous shit in gun shops before, but this takes it I think.

ToddG
04-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Employee: Oh it's super fast, somewhere close to 5,000fps

Don't jump to conclusions. The gunshop employee may keep his chrono inside the event horizon of a black hole.

WDW
04-25-2011, 02:01 AM
I like to think of myself as somewhat in the know when it comes to firearms. I know there is alot I don't know and alot I need to learn and become more proficient at, but I have ascended beyond caliber wars, magic guns, intimidating sounds that frighten bad guys, and Taurus Judges. I LMFAO the other day when in a shop in Nashville the guy behind the counter asked my wife what she carried, she says a G19 9mm. He says, you like it she says, yes, she likes the high cap, the simple manual of arms, and the reliability. She says the only drawback is the grip, it is a bit bulky, but it's a compromise. He says, Oh you should try the Bersa Thunder .380. We both looked at him and said, Bersa? What a piece of shit. I said, She's a Glock girl, and I'm a Sig guy. We walked out rolling laughing.

WDW
04-25-2011, 02:08 AM
I thought I was the only one who did this

Jay Cunningham
04-25-2011, 05:36 AM

Mythbusters time - what would actually happen?

JDM
04-25-2011, 09:10 AM

My guess is that about half of them would detonate when they hit the feed ramp...causing minor bullet deformation.

NGCSUGrad09
04-25-2011, 09:21 AM
I go to gunshops just for the bad advice! I love the entertainment.

ToddG
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Jay, first let me say how much I -- and really everyone here at pistol-forum.com -- appreciates you stepping up to volunteer for this experiment!

Now, can anyone donate a tray of primers to Jay?

Jay, can you provide the epoxy or will you need me to send some?

:cool:

rsa-otc
04-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Back in the early 80's I confiscated some rounds modified like this out of a revolver. I haven't seen any since. I shudder to think about what could happen in a semi auto.

I'm not volunteering. But if anybody has a pistol to throw away and a ransom rest; I've got the Bullet Resistant material to shield the operator.

MDS
04-26-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm not volunteering. But if anybody has a pistol to throw away and a ransom rest; I've got the Bullet Resistant material to shield the operator.

Maybe after the HiPoint 2K challenge...

Chris Rhines
04-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Sorted! Not only will I provide the primers, but I will provide the bullets, too! Jay, all we need from you is a pistol and a long piece of string...

Jay Cunningham
04-26-2011, 10:04 AM
I shoot a Glock so I'm used to my pistol blowing up.

orionz06
04-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Sorted! Not only will I provide the primers, but I will provide the bullets, too! Jay, all we need from you is a pistol and a long piece of string...

Isn't it great when folks can collaborate, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Dropkick
04-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote of the Day!

Tamara
04-26-2011, 12:58 PM

I rarely literally "Laugh Out Loud", but I did there.

jthhapkido
04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Note: I _liked_ the original Mack Bolan series! Humph! (Well, at least the first 10 books or so.)

Most classic gun instructor advice I've seen: Completely newbie husband-and-wife take a certain will-remain-unnamed instructors NRA Basic Pistol class. After this, they immediately decide to get their CCW permits, and having not practiced any more (or even owned firearms of their own), ask the instructor what they should get for carry.

The instructor takes them upstairs to the gun shop, and talks them both into immediately buying gun belts, kydex OWB full-size holsters, $1500 custom 5" 1911s, and extra magazines.

They also sign up for that particular instructors entire series of classes, starting with the state CCW class, followed by their DT 1, DT 2, and CQT classes.

As a followup, in the DT 1 course the wife dropped her $1500 1911 into the toilet, which she had just finished using. (Well, not completely finished as she had not flushed yet.)

Needless to say, they weren't exactly the top shooters in any of their classes.

Wheeler
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
I can't seem to think of anything that isn't a variation of the common themes running here. I did have a local gun store offer me a trade on a Sig P238 (mine) for a Charter Arms .327 Mag (I admit, I like .32 revolvers), and I would only have to pay him $50 since he had to make at least a little money on the deal.

I'm still mulling that one over...

SecondsCount
04-26-2011, 10:58 PM
I have heard lots of tales from gunshop clerks, most pretty similar to what I read here. There is one that stands out where the clerk is telling the customer to buy the pump shotgun for several reasons-

1. The sound of racking it will scare an intruder.
2. You don't even need to aim it, just point in the general direction and squeeze the trigger.
3. If you can't get a clear shot at the intruder hiding around the corner then just "skip the buckshot off the drywall across from him and you are going to get a few good hits."

With the last statement I had to leave or say something I would regret.

WDW
04-27-2011, 03:23 AM
I can't tell you how many times in a gunstore I've heard something to the effect of, "This guy pulled a 9mm on a friend of a guy I know and then he pulled out a .45 and the guy with 9mm changed his mind" as if to imply that .09" in caliber created a magic force field that rendered the 9mm inoperable and drained the BG's desire to do harm. It all harkens bark to the myth that a 9mm will only slightly hurt you and a .45 will instantly vaporize you. And then there's the gun store employees who push Taurus, Bersa, High-Point, Charter, Sigmas, Firestorms, and any other bad ideas gun makers have ever had.

Corey
04-27-2011, 12:06 PM
I have heard pretty much all the same things mentioned so far. I am a part time counter monkey and have tried to educate some of my co-workers a little bit when I think they are receptive. I have also listened to them in their areas of expertise. We do have one guy that is extremely knowlegable about muzzle loaders, and another guy that has competed in long range black powder cartridge rifle for years. I have them answer customer questions about those areas because they really know their stuff and the send customers to me who have questions about pistols and AR-15 rifles. So it depends on who you get and what info your looking for.

I did overhear a co-worker (who is no longer there) tell a customer that the Taurus Judge was developed at the request of the U.S. Justice Department to be the standard issue pistol for all federal judges:rolleyes: . I took him aside later and politely told him to quit saying stupid shit.

I was visiting another gun store once and noticed a nice Remington rifle in an Accuracy International AICS stock. I looked it over and made a comment that it was a nicely built rifle but at their price ($4,000) it wasn't much more to get a complete Accuracy International rifle. The guy informs me that I was looking at a real AI rifle. I pointed out the clearly marked Remington action he informs me in a tone of voice that indicates he thinks I am not to bright that AI only uses Remington actions for their rifles and always have. That's when I told him that I once worked for AI's U.S. importer (Gunsite at the time) and had shot many different AI rifles and had gone shooting several times with Malcolm Cooper (President of AI at the time) and this was the first I had ever heard of AI using Remington actions. All the AI rifles I ever saw had an AI action. Guy decides to double down and tells me "Yeah, I heard they tried making their own actions for awhile but the couldn't ever get them to shoot very well so now they just buy Remingtons." I just :rolleyes: and left.

On the other hand, what some of the customers say could fill a whole other thread. Usually it's not the customer, but his buddy the gun expert he brings with him that you just want to slap. Had one guy looking for a ccw gun. He said he had shot a couple of .45 pistols and didn't like the recoil and wanted to look at some 9mm or .40 pistols and get some info on which would be better. I explained to him that they are both good, but his buddy kept going on about how the 9mm was worthless because it will just bounce off of a car windshield. I tried to explain that shooting through car windshields is not something you really need to worry about when choosing a ccw gun and anyway the 9mm does not just bounce off but the guy would not let it go. Fortunately the customer was more willing to listen to reason than his buddy the gun expert.

Wheeler
04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
I have heard pretty much all the same things mentioned so far. I am a part time counter monkey and have tried to educate some of my co-workers a little bit when I think they are receptive. I have also listened to them in their areas of expertise. We do have one guy that is extremely knowlegable about muzzle loaders, and another guy that has competed in long range black powder cartridge rifle for years. I have them answer customer questions about those areas because they really know their stuff and the send customers to me who have questions about pistols and AR-15 rifles. So it depends on who you get and what info your looking for.

I did overhear a co-worker (who is no longer there) tell a customer that the Taurus Judge was developed at the request of the U.S. Justice Department to be the standard issue pistol for all federal judges:rolleyes: . I took him aside later and politely told him to quit saying stupid shit.

I was visiting another gun store once and noticed a nice Remington rifle in an Accuracy International AICS stock. I looked it over and made a comment that it was a nicely built rifle but at their price ($4,000) it wasn't much more to get a complete Accuracy International rifle. The guy informs me that I was looking at a real AI rifle. I pointed out the clearly marked Remington action he informs me in a tone of voice that indicates he thinks I am not to bright that AI only uses Remington actions for their rifles and always have. That's when I told him that I once worked for AI's U.S. importer (Gunsite at the time) and had shot many different AI rifles and had gone shooting several times with Malcolm Cooper (President of AI at the time) and this was the first I had ever heard of AI using Remington actions. All the AI rifles I ever saw had an AI action. Guy decides to double down and tells me "Yeah, I heard they tried making their own actions for awhile but the couldn't ever get them to shoot very well so now they just buy Remingtons." I just :rolleyes: and left.

On the other hand, what some of the customers say could fill a whole other thread. Usually it's not the customer, but his buddy the gun expert he brings with him that you just want to slap. Had one guy looking for a ccw gun. He said he had shot a couple of .45 pistols and didn't like the recoil and wanted to look at some 9mm or .40 pistols and get some info on which would be better. I explained to him that they are both good, but his buddy kept going on about how the 9mm was worthless because it will just bounce off of a car windshield. I tried to explain that shooting through car windshields is not something you really need to worry about when choosing a ccw gun and anyway the 9mm does not just bounce off but the guy would not let it go. Fortunately the customer was more willing to listen to reason than his buddy the gun expert.

Do you know how many people have told me about their dad/uncle/buddy/etc. that had a .38 Magnum? It's like a .357 Mag only more powerful...

Kyle Reese
04-27-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry... If I overheard that I'd have to work hard to not laugh out loud in the store.... :cool:

will_1400
04-30-2011, 12:06 AM
I really don't have much to add to this thread except the odd occurance when I'm looking at a K-frame and the guy behind the counter thinks a "youngin' like (me)" (I'm 22 and want to have an older Smith M10 and Colt Official Police as part of my future collection) can't appreciate classic revolvers.

Oh, and apparently the zinc slide and direct blowback action of the Hi Point are superior to the steel slide and Browning pattern locked breech action of pistols like the P30.

Kyle Reese
04-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Injure or kill an innocent 3rd party is more like it.

3. If you can't get a clear shot at the intruder hiding around the corner then just "skip the buckshot off the drywall across from him and you are going to get a few good hits."

With the last statement I had to leave or say something I would regret.

BehindBlueI's
03-12-2017, 12:56 PM
http://forums.crackberry.com/attachments/news-rumors-f40/179809d1373210666t-apple-going-down-billions-tax-fraud-thread-necromancy.png

I was in a gun store yesterday and heard a few exchanges that made me *have* to raise this thread from the dead.

1) A .380 is "better at distance" than a .357 magnum

2) The .380 Llama is the best .380 ever made. BEST EVAH!!!!!

I stood waiting to buy my various reloading supplies and a box of 20g. I then get roped into this conversation:

Owner: Say, you reload, maybe you can help.
Me: *attempts to engage cloaking device*
Owner: Long rambling story about how Customer X's super accurate tack-driver-o-matic rifle of ultimate doom groups weight X bullets like a pro, but bullets Y horrendously at 250y.
Me: *realizes they can still see me. Curses softly* Well, I'd just shoot bullet X and not worry about it, but I'd say the twist rate is wrong for bullet Y.
Owner: It's a bull barrel.
Me: That's irrelevant to the twist rate.
Owner: It's not heat issues, he can alternate the cartridges and it will still throw bullet Y.
Me: Sounds like twist rate and bullet weight aren't a good match.
Owner: Do you think it could be barrel harmonics?
Me: ....I'm really more of a pistol guy. Maybe twist rate?
Owner: I'm thinking maybe the jacketing is thicker on one side with the heavier bullet Y.
Me: *why the fuck is my cloaking device not working?* Pretty good price on the .357 mag brass *nudges bag forward*
Owner: Maybe inconsistent jacketing?
Me: *sigh* You ask my opinion, my opinion is that I'd research the twist rate of the barrel and how well it stabilizes the heavier bullet Y.
Owner: Maybe it's the thickness of the jacket?
Me: Probably....or the twist rate.
Owner: Should he try another powder?
Me: I'd try another barrel. With a different twist rate.
Owner: It's a match grade barrel. And a bull barrel.
Me: *nudges bag forward* Got any Accurate #9 in the back?
Owner: It's only a few grains heavier.
Me: That sort of thing matters with very light bullets going very fast, which is why they make different twist rates for different bullet weights.
Owner: How do you adjust barrel harmonics?
Me: I've no idea. I'm really more of a pistol guy.
Owner: I guess it's just a mystery. He likes a challenge. He really wants weight Y to work.
Me: Completely unknowable.

I'd taken my dad out to lunch and he was still with me for the above exchange. We got back in the truck.

Dad: Completely unknowable...
Me: Just a mystery I guess...

Jim Watson
03-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Most of the inane storekeeper recommendations I have heard were directly related to what guns and accessories they had in stock. If they had it on the shelf, it was what you needed. If it had to be ordered, completely unsuitable.

But not all. The one that stands out in my mind is the assertion that a high velocity bullet, especially a Magnum handgun round, is not effective because "it does not stay in them long enough to hurt them." Example offered in proof: "Officer Smith shot a criminal with a .44 Magnum. The bullet went right through and killed an old man in his rocking chair on his front porch in the next block, but the crook just kept running."

Totem Polar
03-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Never saw this thread the first time. I'll say this: it makes me really glad for the old guys in my favorite LGS. I actually had the pleasure of asking their Sig guy (retired Marine, works the counter at two places as a retirement gig) for opinions on Sigs, knowing that A) he has over a dozen of them, given his choice of retirement gig, and B) he'd actually have something worth saying about Sigs. I get the same sort of quality out of their 1911 guy, and the owner. They may not be encyclopedia Tam, backed up by P-F.com archives, but every time I overhear advice flowing from counter to new shooter customers, I always nod in agreement to myself. Solid.

I think I'll go buy something else from them at the end of the month. :D

ReverendMeat
03-12-2017, 04:02 PM
I've worked at three different gun stores (a national chain and two local shops) and the dumb shit I've heard from coworkers is easily trumped by a couple orders of magnitude by the dumb shit I've heard from customers. I think a separate thread about that would be fun.

In the spirit of this thread, though, when I first started selling guns I didn't know what I didn't know and could occasionally be overheard talking about things like "bore axis" or "grip angle" or "stopping power" or "fine vs gross motor skills". Oh, and one time I told someone that you can sell a gun privately to a resident of a different state as long as it was a rifle or shotgun. Got a talking to by a manager for that one, whoops.

These days I'm full aware that I don't know shit about shit so my favorite answer to give, when I can, is "I have no idea, but I'll try to find out." Learn a lot that way.

TDA
03-12-2017, 07:50 PM
I need to find the reciept from my Devel, IIRC it said something like "Customized S&W M59, $300"

I do recall checking out a decent M27' and the clerk saying to me "Do you own a boat? Then why do you need an anchor?" and I didn't come back and tell him he ought to knock $100 off and I'd take it. Grrrr.

Back in the 90's My local had a Colt El Commondante and the manager told me that .38 supers were for Mexicans and I should buy a .45ACP. I didn't point out that his shop was pretty far from Mexico. I mean, 300 miles from Mexico, ME even, which is the closest Mexico. Somebody was allowed to buy it, and I presume they're satisfied.

masternave
03-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Upon hearing that a potential customer didn't have his CCL.

"Aw man, just do what I do, buy one of these here concealed carry badges and stick that bad boy on your belt and open carry. No one would tell the difference and they won't call you out."

:mad:

ReverendMeat
03-12-2017, 08:23 PM

"Aw man, just do what I do, buy one of these here concealed carry badges and stick that bad boy on your belt and open carry. No one would tell the difference and they won't call you out."

I had to google concealed carry badge to see if it's a real thing, and now I'm sad.

Robinson
03-12-2017, 11:15 PM
I had to google concealed carry badge to see if it's a real thing, and now I'm sad.

Great now I'm sad too. I just HAD to look that up after reading your post.

SecondsCount
03-12-2017, 11:21 PM

Unfortunately they are very real.

A few years ago, a friend who was a bail enforcement officer (bounty hunter), was making an arrest with the local PD behind a fast food restaurant. Some dude came running out of the restaurant flashing his CC badge and a Kimber in his hand asking if they needed help. PD gave him a stern talking to and told him to go finish his dinner.

Olim9
03-13-2017, 02:03 AM
That poor bastard that gets tricked into buying a subcompact .40 as his first gun

Any gunstore clerk that does this is an asswipe honestly.

Jared
03-13-2017, 06:47 AM
I've worked at three different gun stores (a national chain and two local shops) and the dumb shit I've heard from coworkers is easily trumped by a couple orders of magnitude by the dumb shit I've heard from customers. I think a separate thread about that would be fun.

/Snip/

These days I'm full aware that I don't know shit about shit so my favorite answer to give, when I can, is "I have no idea, but I'll try to find out." Learn a lot that way.

I agree with this....

There's plenty of bad advice to be found on both sides of the counter, and the vast majority of us have plenty to learn.

I've got a couple good shops close to me, and I don't hear a lot of bs coming from behind either counter. Sometimes something pops out that I don't necessarily agree with, but there's stuff that I don't agree with and then there's dangerous stuff. I'm of the mentality that as long as it's just difference of opinion, it's best for me to just keep my mouth shut unless asked to participate.

voodoo_man
03-13-2017, 06:54 AM
My goto place is pretty good, though it has some well practiced bullshitters.

I was in the shop one day and someone walked in asking about a 308 for "sniping" and the guy behind the counter started feeding him a load of bullshit about red dots and 600y steel with a 308dpms gun.

I politely interjected and pointed him in the right direction.

Same guy behind the counter told someone that only difference between a 30 and a 30s is the reduced magazine capacity.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Another thread indicating that a significant part of humanity is stupid?

Cabelas - SW Model 632 is a 22 LR. Load a shotgun with rubber buckshot, if racking and them firing a blank doesn't scare the bad guys.
Gun show - buy this 22 mag revolver as you can shoot 22 LR (not with a different cylinder)
LGS in Austin - you just need a snubby as if you can't do it with one shot, you ain't doing your job. Big TX good ol boy HAR HAR laughing from clerk
Gun show - this Kimber 1911 is a SOCOM rare one with this finish. Only two in the USA. Better buy it for $3500!

LGS that really pissed me off as it ripped off a old sick friend who wasn't making good decisions. He bought an LCP and then wanted a laser. Instead of telling him that you could buy the laser as an add-on, bought the gun back at a reduced price and sold one with a laser at more than MSRP. Later said, friend was suckered into buying a Kimber 380 which had a 'special' trigger for $1300. I hate folks who sucker older folks.

LGS in Austin - guy comes in and wants to add something to his SKS. Maybe it was legal or not but fat ass clerk bellows for the whole store: "YOU WILL GO TO FEDERAL PRISION!" Guy argues a bit, quitely. Fatso bellow: DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME YOU WILL GO TO FEDERAL PRISION!". Guy says loudly - You are an asshole. He leaves. Fatso turns to the store and bellows: He said I'm an asshole.

I never shop there and don't even browse anymore. Too much attitude.

Robinson
03-13-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty fortunate in that the three shops local to me are staffed with pretty good folks. I don't go there for advice mind you, but they do have pretty friendly and knowledgeable people working in them.

The one exception was a guy who worked the counter at one of the places was always going on about his time in combat when talking to customers. And when I asked if I could examine a certain piece he told me "those are nothing but shit. You need to look at this Kimber here..." He wasn't employed there very long.

Corey
03-13-2017, 01:16 PM

Back in the mid 1990’s when I was teaching the CWP class in Arizona I got a letter from DPS. It was sent out to all CWP instructors in the state. The letter said that we needed to tell the students not to get a CCW badge and to warn them that if they get caught flashing a badge around they would be charged with impersonating a police officer. It made me said that it was necessary to do this. Just think about the fact that they never would have bothered with that notice unless they had been having problems with idiots.

Cypher
03-13-2017, 01:34 PM
This wasn't bad advice but I will never shop at Specialty Sports of Colorado Springs ever again because of it.

I took a pistol into their shop to have some work done; when I arrived the smith was working on a hunting rifle in the back. I could clearly see that the bolt had been removed but when I stepped up to the counter he aimed it at me.

Let me be perfectly clear he didn’t accidently point the muzzle randomly in my general direction he aimed the gun at me.

I stepped to the side and told him who I was and that I had spoken to him on the phone. He aimed the rifle at me again and told me “That’s fine, just leave your gun on the counter and I’ll get to it in 5 minutes.”

I stepped off line again and told him the part I needed replaced was in the box and I’d be looking around the store. He again aimed the rifle at me and said “That’s fine I’ll get to it in a minute or two.”

I left the gun and did some looking around and in 10 minutes he found me and told me the repair was complete and told me it was free because he had done some work on that gun previously. I said thanks and left and have never set foot in that store since.

In Colorado Springs I shop exclusively at Family Firearms Sales or Stop, Drop and Shop.

Corey
03-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Another thread indicating that a significant part of humanity is stupid?

LGS in Austin - guy comes in and wants to add something to his SKS. Maybe it was legal or not but fat ass clerk bellows for the whole store: "YOU WILL GO TO FEDERAL PRISION!" Guy argues a bit, quitely. Fatso bellow: DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME YOU WILL GO TO FEDERAL PRISION!". Guy says loudly - You are an asshole. He leaves. Fatso turns to the store and bellows: He said I'm an asshole.

I never shop there and don't even browse anymore. Too much attitude.

How about when the guy behind the counter goes the opposite way. My brother was at a Cabela’s in Idaho and noticed a Benelli shotgun he had been thinking of getter. He told the counter guy up front that he just wanted to handle it and that he could not buy it because he is a California resident. Counter guy asked what he was visiting Idaho for (just making conversation my brother thought). My brother tells him he is in town visiting his in-laws. Counter guy tells him to just give the money to one of his in-laws and have them buy the gun for him. My brother tells the guy that he is pretty certain that it is illegal to do that. Counter guy agrees that it might be illegal but then explained that the do it all the time.:mad:

I was at work at the Utah Cabela’s when I got a phone call from my brother asking WTF. He was calling from the parking lot of the Idaho store. I mentioned it to my manager and he immediately called the asset protection manager at the Idaho store. They wanted the name of the counter idiot and what time it occurred. When I told them my brother was still in the parking lot and that I had him on the phone they asked me to tell him to go back in the store and ask for the AP manager. They asked him to go back to the gun counter with them and point out exactly who had been helping him. I don’t think that guy ever got to finish his shift.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-13-2017, 02:22 PM
At Sportsman Warehouse (before it closed), the counter guy decided to entertain the customers with a giant rant about his daughter. It seems that she put up an Obama sign in her yard. He told us that he decided to take her out of the will and not leave her his 'ranch'. I'm sure the counter guy owned a modern Ponderosa spread. Like who cares and ditching your kid over a vote - get a life.

MistWolf
03-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Not too long back, there was a woman shopping for an optic for her AR and was being helped by the female sales person, who I thought was doing a good job, as she was recommending an Aimpoint. Until the subject turned to magnifiers. She tells the woman "The 3x magnifier it's the best choice for you. The AR it's a short range rifle at best and anything more is too much magnification.

But the stupidest thing I heard in a gunshop happened just a couple of weeks ago and it went like this-

Big Fat Wolf- "You have the Franklin Binary trigger in stock?"
Counter Guy- "Yep"
Big Fat Wolf- "You guys do lay-away?"
Counter Guy- "Yep"
Big Fat Wolf (reaching for wallet)- "Let's do it"

Cypher
03-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Note: I _liked_ the original Mack Bolan series! Humph! (Well, at least the first 10 books or so.)

I was always a Remo Williams fan

Cypher
03-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Again, not necessarily bad advice but I was debating between a M&P9 and an M&P 40 and asked the counter guy if he had a 40 in stock. Dude immediately began to quote the Gospel of James Yeager at me and tell me that .40's suck and that if I can't kill it with a 9 or a .45 I need a rifle.

Now without questioning the validity of his "Advice" if a customer walks into your store ready to spend money you don't tell him his choice sucks and he needs to choose something else (remember, I wasn't trying to buy a Jiminez or a Llama) you take his money and you make the sale

HCountyGuy
03-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Cypher's post reminded me of the following:

About a year back at the main LGS here, a customer walks in and asks for advice for a handgun for home defense. The one employee hands him off to the shop's primary firearm instructor, whom I already have a negative opinion on. The instructor listens, talks handguns for all of maybe a minute, then starts trying to sell the guy on shotguns. The customer tries to get back to handguns, but the employee won't lay off the shotguns. I had to wander off to another part of the shop or I'd have bitten my tongue in half trying not to lose it telling the employee to stick to what the man was asking for.

Cypher
03-14-2017, 12:44 AM
Cypher's post reminded me of the following:

About a year back at the main LGS here, a customer walks in and asks for advice for a handgun for home defense. The one employee hands him off to the shop's primary firearm instructor, whom I already have a negative opinion on. The instructor listens, talks handguns for all of maybe a minute, then starts trying to sell the guy on shotguns. The customer tries to get back to handguns, but the employee won't lay off the shotguns. I had to wander off to another part of the shop or I'd have bitten my tongue in half trying not to lose it telling the employee to stick to what the man was asking for.

When it was time for my wife to buy her carry gun I took her to Family Firearms Sales and handed her off to the owner (Chad) I gave him one criterium (No SAOs) and walked away.

15 minutes later I walked back over and he had 7 or 8 guns laying on the counter and was answering her questions. I walked away again an 20 minutes later they called me back over and she told me she picked out an LC9 that she's been very happy with. Chad gave her a good price on her trade in (turns out his wife wanted one) and threw in a Maglula for free.

ETA I am not an employee of FFS and I don't work in the industry. The owner is a friend and he's always been square with me so I try to let people know when I can

VT1032
03-14-2017, 10:37 PM
My favorites usually have to do with AR's... I can't tell you how many times I've heard gunshop employees tell people that shit rifles are "milspec". Newsflash: just about nothing on the civilian market is truly "milspec". Does it have a 14.5in non pinned barrel and a happy switch? No? Then it's not milspec. That said, if someone said a 6920 was milspec, I wouldn't argue with them. When someone says the optics ready shittastic DPMS with no irons and a $30 red dot is milspec I have a hard time not laughing. I even asked a counter guy one time what made a rifle milspec when I overheard him spouting bullshit. His logic was that if the barrel had 203 cuttouts it was milspec. Didn't even bother trying to correct him. These are the same people that say Colts are overpriced and their alternative is just as good. Granted, I'm a Colt fanboy, but from a pure known quality, durability, dependability perspective, it's hard to beat a Colt for the money. To get anything equal to or better from another manufacturer, you likely will be spending a lot more money then a 6920 costs.

The other one that kills me is when I see obvious new shooters being handed micro pistols or j frames because "it will fit their hands". That and give them the flinch from hell... I have a very small wife who is new to shooting, and I can tell you, she strongly preferred an all stainless .44 special to my glock 43. The notion that weight absorbs recoil seems to be a forein concept to some.

MistWolf
03-15-2017, 11:34 AM
The "Little Pistol for the Little Lady" is the myth I want the most to die

SecondsCount
03-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Thank you!! Likes X 1000!

Mrs. SC teaches entry level ladies classes. The women that show up with a Ruger LCP really struggle but the ones that show up with an M&P9c, Glock 19, or even an XDsc really do well. Then there are the ones who have an Uncle who is a police officer who live by the rule "It must be a Glock and the caliber must begin with a 4" types that show up with a Glock 23 or 27. Let's just say that shoot a mag or two and are done, or borrow our Browning Buckmark for the rest of the class.

Many of the ladies really enjoying a full size 1911 in 9mm, or 45 with reduced loads.

LockedBreech
03-15-2017, 04:39 PM
I was so sure my girlfriend would enjoy a midsize poly 9mm, and have continued to be mystified as she not only loves, but excels with, my Ruger GP100 and full-house .357 loads (she finds .38 Special loads "boring").

Moral of the story that I wish I could scream at every gun counter in the country: Girls are people. Let them pick the thing they want like people do.

MistWolf
03-15-2017, 06:11 PM
I Face Palm every time I see a thread that starts off "What pistol should I buy for my wife/girlfriend?"

Glenn E. Meyer
03-16-2017, 10:25 AM
At the NTI, Vicki Farnham gave a talk about guys choosing the wife/gf gun for them. Some guy got into it when he insisted that his choice of a compact 45 ACP 1911 something was the best choice and he was annoyed she (gf) didn't agree. Nor did Vicky and he wasn't left standing.

MistWolf
03-16-2017, 12:51 PM
I've helped a couple of women choose handguns. One, much to my surprise, decided she liked the 1911. Another chose a stainless steel S&W 10 shot 22 LR revolver. My wife borrowed from me a Walther P-22 that she has yet to return. Later, she decided it was time to get something bigger for self defense. I took her to the gunshop to look at various pistols, explained what I felt were pros and cons of each and let her talk to the counter guy. She narrowed her choices down to two- the Glock 19 and the PPQ. We went to the range and I let her shoot both. Much to my relief, she chose the PPQ. She's very happy with her choice and I've even heard her brag about her pistol. I don't think she would have been as happy with the PPQ if I had made the choice for her

Stephanie B
03-16-2017, 02:33 PM
At the NTI, Vicki Farnham gave a talk about guys choosing the wife/gf gun for them. Some guy got into it when he insisted that his choice of a compact 45 ACP 1911 something was the best choice and he was annoyed she (gf) didn't agree.

Heh.

I know a guy who bought his wife three different guns in "gee, I think this is the gun you ought to have" mode. Finally, he wised up.

Poconnor
03-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Only three?

Kyle Reese
03-16-2017, 02:47 PM
My wife prefers 9mm HK handguns with the V2 LEM.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
03-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Only three?

Yep. He might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he's by far not the dullest. :p

hufnagel
03-16-2017, 04:22 PM
That poor bastard that gets tricked into buying a subcompact .40 as his first gun

Any gunstore clerk that does this is an asswipe honestly.

I'm going to mostly agree, depending on the person. If they're of stout physical character then it might not be the worst choice, if it's what they want.

It really is quite a conundrum to find the right single firearm for people who aren't going to be frequent shooters.

Salamander
03-17-2017, 01:01 AM
I was so sure my girlfriend would enjoy a midsize poly 9mm, and have continued to be mystified as she not only loves, but excels with, my Ruger GP100 and full-house .357 loads (she finds .38 Special loads "boring").

Moral of the story that I wish I could scream at every gun counter in the country: Girls are people. Let them pick the thing they want like people do.

Yep. My wife prefers K-frame and up .357 revolvers, and she does pretty well with them.

I'm waiting for the day some guy behind the counter tries to sell her on a tiny pink pistol. She grew up in NYC and can be a little direct sometimes...

LockedBreech
03-17-2017, 01:12 AM
Even knowing my girlfriend liked my revolver, I still grabbed her a Smith SD9VE on a lark thinking she would like it.

We both do not enjoy it. It seems nearly impossible to sell or trade as well. Nothing WRONG with it per se, it works, it's just that I own much nicer and more fun guns to shoot.

I will never make the mistake of buying someone else a gun unless they specifically asked for that model again.

Heh.

I know a guy who bought his wife three different guns in "gee, I think this is the gun you ought to have" mode. Finally, he wised up.

MistWolf
03-17-2017, 01:45 AM
Heh.

Only three?

Yep. He might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he's by far not the dullest. :p

If he'd been a little sharper, he could have made it four before she wised up

Robinson
03-17-2017, 07:57 AM
My wife's gun is a S&W 457, which is a somewhat compact lightweight .45 that I had converted from DA to DAO and tuned by the Performance Center a long time ago. Now, I'm pretty sure she would actually enjoy shooting a modern striker-fired 9mm pistol more and perhaps perform better with it. But she likes her gun in its simplicity -- plus it has always been reliable -- so who am I to tell her she has to change?

Doge
03-17-2017, 08:43 AM

^THIS

I was at a store and my wife was looking at guns. Since we got married and her being funsized she wanted a gun she could shoot that wasn't DA/SA. Gun store worker who was derptastic (no shit open carrying with an empty chamber). Anyways the exchange goes like this.

Gunstore Drone: Can I help you Ma'am?

Wife: No thanks just looking at some 9mm guns

Gunstore Drone: What about this (insert tiny 9mm) so you can keep it in your purse, or a revolver if you can't rack the slide?

Wife: I want a full size or compact doublestack I can get a full grip on and I can dress around it or my husband can.

Gunstore Drone: I sell these (some tiny tiffany blue gun) to women all the time and you should get one too! Don't look at doublestack guns they're had to conceal.

Wife: Do I look like a hooker?

Gunstore Drone: ....

Wife: Then stop recommending hooker guns to me! I told you what options I'm considering.

Stephanie B
03-17-2017, 09:24 AM
If he'd been a little sharper, he could have made it four before she wised up

Well, no. She made him trade the old gun in each time. They've been married for a long time and she didn't just fall off of the turnip truck. :rolleyes:

MistWolf
03-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Well, no. She made him trade the old gun in each time. They've been married for a long time and she didn't just fall off of the turnip truck. :rolleyes:

Ha! He should be grateful that he was blessed with a patient and forgiving wife

Cypher
03-18-2017, 11:45 AM
The post about the primers epoxied into the tips of hollow points reminds me of a guy who told me he only carried the Evil, Nuclear Tipped Black Talon round that was designed to EXPLODE on impact

GardoneVT
03-18-2017, 12:09 PM
(no shit open carrying with an empty chamber).

We should call that "Samaritan Carry". It's giving a gun to your fellow man,whether he should have one or not......

Doge
03-18-2017, 05:16 PM
We should call that "Samaritan Carry". It's giving a gun to your fellow man,whether he should have one or not......

Haha going to use that phrase and give you royalties of rustled jimmies.

hufnagel
03-18-2017, 05:54 PM
lady friend and client of mine recently decided to get into guns. her first purchase M&P Bodyguard. I don't expect her to like it when she finally gets to shoot it.

RJ
03-18-2017, 06:52 PM
lady friend and client of mine recently decided to get into guns. her first purchase M&P Bodyguard. I don't expect her to like it when she finally gets to shoot it.

For some reason I read this the first time as "...her first purchase M&P Compact..." and I was all like....yeah!

And then I was all like...nooo...:(

JAD
03-18-2017, 07:26 PM
I 'grew up' hanging around the excellent Bullet Hole in the KC area. They were very good folks, and let me and a couple of my gun nerd friends walk behind the counter and look at what we wanted, because we actually bought stuff, and were relatively safe. They rarely offered customers opinions, and when they did they were gruff and fairly well founded. "Do you carry Taurus?" "We used to."

Anyway, old Jim, who had put up with us chintzy, coon-fingering dweebs for a long time, used the same line every single time. We'd ask to fondle a gun, and after watching us for a minute he'd say, deadpan, "that'd be a good gun to have if the shit hit the fan."

Stephanie B
03-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Haha going to use that phrase and give you royalties of rustled jimmies.

I gather you're from Boston.

will_1400
03-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Pretty sure this covers it. Seen it referred to as the 4th Law of Thermodynamics.